Wedding Etiquette Forum

2010 Census

124»

Re: 2010 Census

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_2010-census?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c80fb97e-0846-49dd-bd95-ef0d7adab427Post:aa732e44-6f07-48c7-b708-bcf6ae76aad9">Re: 2010 Census</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Census : I am sorry to  hear this because I thought we were having a great discusion <strong>until you brought up</strong> that I thought this was all about my town being white and hard working which I am pretty sure I didn't mention as a derogative thing, but more a factual thing. In fact, I never mentioned the hard working part, but the white part to be fair in determining what things were drawn from the census.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Well, except that THAT WASN'T ME.

Sheesh. And I'm not avoiding the conversation, I just have rehearsal tonight, to which I am already late.

But for the record, you definitely came across like "Oh noes, my white town has to make do with an old school while those non-white folk across the way got a brand new school, darn those non-whites [<em>"illegals," maybe? to quote you from an earlier post</em>] for getting government handouts that we hardworking white folks deserve more" so if that's not what you meant you may wish to watch the way you phrase things.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_2010-census?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c80fb97e-0846-49dd-bd95-ef0d7adab427Post:e9574cf8-5893-4765-8065-e31c26b1c26f">Re: 2010 Census</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Census : I might agree if we weren't talking about how census data effects the state mandates. In this case I know it did and it worries me.

<div>Ok, so the federal government collects the population/race data (not socioeconomic data) and the local gov't uses that to determine where to build a school.  And your problem is with the census/federal gov't?  </div><div>
    </div><div>Clearly I'm missing something, because this makes no sense.  Your issue should be with how the state/county/local government uses the funds.  </div>
  • I filled mine out, mostly because I don't want people bugging me about it later.
  • Tracy_k, I think I like the cut of your jib.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_2010-census?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c80fb97e-0846-49dd-bd95-ef0d7adab427Post:70d517c0-a2aa-4a89-86b9-9d228b71e349">Re: 2010 Census</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Census : Well, except that THAT WASN'T ME. Sheesh. And I'm not avoiding the conversation, I just have rehearsal tonight, to which I am already late. But for the record, you definitely came across like "Oh noes, my white town has to make do with an old school while those non-white folk across the way got a brand new school, darn those non-whites [ "illegals," maybe? to quote you from an earlier post ] for getting government handouts that we hardworking white folks deserve more" so if that's not what you meant you may wish to watch the way you phrase things.

Posted by tracy_k[/QUOTE]

Sorry Trace, Shro corrected me and I was wrong.I don't think you are avoiding (don't read into this) I just honestly was enjoying the conversation. I am sorry that you read things that way, but all I can do is tell you I was trying to keep the context in terms of information yielded from the census and if race was brought up it was certainly NOT to point fingers at a specific one. I definitely do not think any one deserves anything more because they are white but because they honestly deserve it more. That is my whole issue. I worry that others get tripped up in the socioeconimic connotations (alone!) of a situation and don't look at the broader picture. I am insulted you draw assumptions that I am a racist in some way, but I can see how you not being around often (many people know me around here and that I am not out of my mind) versus the honestly sticky reprocussions if this discussion could lend itself to that conclusion. I definitely understand, but I would apprecaite you asking for calrification before proceeding onward with said accusations.
  • Serious question.

How do the Duggars fill out theirs?  There's only room for 12 people on it.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I love you B :) How's baby bee doing? Still loving M&Ms?
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • B's baby loves meeee??? I'll take it TLV ;)

ok AW, but really B thanks for the snort :)
  • Well, it was getting a little serious in here so I had to throw that out there.  But I really do want to know how they handle theirs.  I wonder if the gov't sends them 2 by default?

Tonight, BabyBee will be loving Blue Bunny Bunny Tracks icecream.  That's a super big treat because we usually only eat frozen yogurt.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• In Response to Re: 2010 Census:
    [QUOTE]Well, it was getting a little serious in here so I had to throw that out there.  But I really do want to know how they handle theirs.  I wonder if the gov't sends them 2 by default? Tonight, BabyBee will be loving Blue Bunny Bunny Tracks icecream.  That's a super big treat because we usually only eat frozen yogurt.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

And this is why I heart you.

• maggyruthmaggyruth member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    I filled mine out without my name or phone number.  If they find me, they can fine me.  I'm moving in a couple of months.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_2010-census?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c80fb97e-0846-49dd-bd95-ef0d7adab427Post:4ce7f872-101f-4e52-8176-6a87b244b76a">Re: 2010 Census</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Census : Sorry Trace, Shro corrected me and I was wrong.I don't think you are avoiding (don't read into this) I just honestly was enjoying the conversation. I am sorry that you read things that way, but all I can do is tell you I was trying to keep the context in terms of information yielded from the census and if race was brought up it was certainly NOT to point fingers at a specific one. I definitely do not think any one deserves anything more because they are white but because they honestly deserve it more. That is my whole issue. I worry that others get tripped up in the socioeconimic connotations (alone!) of a situation and don't look at the broader picture. I am insulted you draw assumptions that I am a racist in some way, but I can see how you not being around often (many people know me around here and that I am not out of my mind) versus the honestly sticky reprocussions if this discussion could lend itself to that conclusion. I definitely understand, but I would apprecaite you asking for calrification before proceeding onward with said accusations.

Thanks for clarifying... I should clarify also. Obviously I don't know you well, I did think your initial post about the school stuff came across a little odd. However, I didn't mean to imply that you are a racist, and I apologize if you felt I did so.

This has been a really interesting thread, and I came home from rehearsal and filled out my census form... so I guess that's a good thing!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_2010-census?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c80fb97e-0846-49dd-bd95-ef0d7adab427Post:7db231b1-4977-448b-b826-8a2ef369906a">Re: 2010 Census</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tracy_k, I think I like the cut of your jib.
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]

Why thanks, smokey.

I see you have a cat with a basket problem as well. We have three. I did not put them on the census form, tempting as it was.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_2010-census?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c80fb97e-0846-49dd-bd95-ef0d7adab427Post:e27edcc2-0573-4af2-88c4-ca8cf37aaf8b">Re: 2010 Census</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Census : You fill it out as roommates.  I think that's an option for relationship.  It doesn't matter if your finances are pooled.  There's even a box for dorms. Yes, you are moving, but you are there on April 1, and that's what they are taking.  Chances are, next year on April 1, there will be someone else similar to you in that spot, doing the same thing.  But it's a snapshot.  People are obviously moving around.  They want to know what's going on on 4/1/10.
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

YES. This. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_2010-census?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c80fb97e-0846-49dd-bd95-ef0d7adab427Post:7db231b1-4977-448b-b826-8a2ef369906a">Re: 2010 Census</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tracy_k, I think I like the cut of your jib.
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]

She had me at "two dollas"
  • Who doesn't know that it's the law. You have to fill it out. WTF? Who cares if the government knows something about you? Big whoop.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_2010-census?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c80fb97e-0846-49dd-bd95-ef0d7adab427Post:48896fb0-7518-4d2e-b0e2-bc8a1754aea9">Re: 2010 Census</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who doesn't know that it's the law. You have to fill it out. WTF? Who cares if the government knows something about you? Big whoop.
    Posted by pumpkinpumpkin[/QUOTE]

<div>But I care!  I don't want Big Brother knowing all this personal information about me!  </div><div>
    </div><div>It's a slippery slope, and I bet soon the government is going to, like, ask me to tell them my social security number or something!  Can you imagine?!</div><div>
    </div><div>/sarcasm</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_2010-census?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c80fb97e-0846-49dd-bd95-ef0d7adab427Post:913535df-d87e-4e2c-a006-38c88ea548c6">Re: 2010 Census</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Census : But I care!  I don't want Big Brother knowing all this personal information about me!   It's a slippery slope, and I bet soon the government is going to, like, ask me to tell them my social security number or something!  Can you imagine?! /sarcasm
    Posted by Schroeder246[/QUOTE]

OMG!!! Next thing you know the phone companies are going to publish everyone's name, address and phone number in a big giant book and give one out for free to every household! We have to stop them!!!
  • Dude, I just heard from the IRS.  They want my name, address, SSN, marital status, and they want to know what I make!!!!eleventy!  

It's happening!  Hold me!
  • Okeydokey.  It's official.  I <3 tracy_k.

MNIN, you too.
  • Did you know that they know the make, model and year of car that is registered to you as well?  True story!
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards