Snarky Brides
Options

Worst Things You've Seen At Weddings You Attended

Re: Worst Things You've Seen At Weddings You Attended

• Options

I went to a friend's wedding that was held in this "rustic" location...about an hour and a half away from the city we all live in and about 20 minutes from any stores/civilization.  After the wedding ceremony, all the guests were sent to the reception location where there appeared to be a buffet of finger food for cocktail hour...except only enough for small bites for about half the number of guests.  But, the staff was guarding the food and not letting anyone get it, because this was actually our dinner (yes, the reception was at dinner time).  We were all stuck waiting around for an hour while the Bride and Groom took pictures.  Then they had a cash bar (for literally every kind of beverage except water), but they didn't inform anyone ahead of time it was a cash bar, the venue didn't accept cards, and there was no ATM. 

• Options
    Not nearly as bad as some of these, but my sister was a MOH in a wedding last July that was outside in probably 95 degree heat. The ceremony was at 7:30 p.m., so not super sunny, and the reception was inside. I'm also a summer lover, so I was OK in my spaghetti strap, flowy thin dress, but I know my dad and the other men in attendance were so uncomfortable and sweaty. Their reception also did not flow very well in my opinion and taught me to really lay all that out with my DJ when the time comes. The ceremony was at 7:30, B&G probably got to reception around 8:30, and they didn't finish all the dances, cake cutting, etc. and start playing music for guests to dance until probably 10:30, and the B&G left around 11! It was crazy to me. They also ran out of whiskey about an hour into the reception because the groomsmen had stolen two bottles from the bar to drink throughout the day. Kind of funny, but inconvenient for the guests! This couple is near and dear to my heart though and we still had a great time; it just taught me some things about planning my reception.

This one hasn't happened yet, but a friend of a friend is planning a destination-type "camping" wedding and inviting all her guests to come out and camp for the weekend. No judgments there (it's a creative idea if they like camping and outdoorsy stuff), but my friend is going to be a BM and thinks they will still be in floor-length formal BM dresses because the bride's dress is still a fancy wedding gown. But the best part is she is not mailing out invitations - she's making a Facebook event page. That stresses me out just to think about that and my mom would probably kill me if I even brought that up. WTF.

Another fun story is my cousin got married years ago when he was probably 18ish after he got a girl pregnant (who I'm not even sure he was dating). Again, no judgments, but they were only getting married because their parents wanted them to and it was a horribly awkward and uncomfortable wedding. I was in the wedding as a junior BM and I hadn't talked to this cousin in years. During the reception in the church basement, my aunt (the groom's mother) got tired of waiting cut the cake and starting passing it out without even having the B&G at the table! So awkward. Needless to say, they were divorced within a few months.
  • Options
    Ohhh man. I posted about it after it happened, but I'll sum it up.

B&G decided to get married after a month of planning, (NBD) with a $1000 budget (it can be done), in one of the most expensive locations in the state of Michigan. Ugh.

Bride tells me a hilarious story about how she told the park manager (outdoor wedding in an ampitheater) she was getting married a different day, as payment is due day of, so she essentially stole her venue and trashed the bathrooms. The BMs were given no direction for dresses other than "anything blue" and one girl wore a floor length tulle ballgown and another wore a lace dress with no slip that came to her thighs. We all saw her bottom biscuits. The minister kept threatening to leave as he had another ceremony and they were running behind by over an hour.

Onto the reception!

No directions. I am from the area and still got lost. Reception was at a park pavillion overlooking the water. Could have been a beautiful area. It might of been, but i was so damn cranky i didn't notice. The seating was on the park picnic tables that had no covers, which isn't usually a big deal, but these were heavilly tagged in graffiti. I got to read a lot of "fuck the police" and anarchy signs. They cooked the food on the park BBQ grills. No foil. Chicken straight up on the dirty grates that they served one at a time to guests. Nothing to drink, which is alright since there were no bathrooms.

They ended the shit show with informing everyone they were leaving immediately for their all inclusive honeymoon. I don't remember where it was, I think Jamaica. It was nice to know they couldn't afford to host the guests properly, but could afford a nice luxury honeymoon.

• Options
    @RomanceManaged I think you just won!
  • Options
    @RomanceManaged I think you just won!

*****BOXES*****

I promise you. No one won that day. lol

You should check out my post about it, I'm sure there's stuff Ieft out. It sucked because i have known this girl for about 10 years, and we were really close. You never think something like a wedding would ruin a friendship, but every. single. time she posts something about her wedding I roll my eyes and snark the fuck out. FI and I are contemplating inviting her and her husband to our outdoor wedding. For funsies. But them I remember I am an adult and can't do stuff like that. :/

• Options
    @RomanceManaged
    LOL I remember when you first posted about that shitshow. Now I'm laughing about "bottom biscuits!"

• Options
    So I wasn't technically in this wedding, but that was because I stepped down from being her Maid of Honor about a month after she asked me. 

A and I were friends in high school and ended up rooming together for a semester in college. She moved her bf into our dorm room and when I told her he needed to move back out ASAP she said I was just jealous that she was engaged and I wasn't. She dropped out after fall semester and moved in with him and his parents. At that point I really didn't agree with her life choices and she stopped talking to me for a bit. Fast forward to the end of spring semester - she calls me to tell me she's getting married in November and wants me to be MOH. First question I asked her was if she was getting married because she was pregnant (popular trend among people we know). She said she wasn't, but the reason the wedding was so quick was because she'd get more financial aid. I asked her why she was asking me since we hadn't talked in several months and she said it was because she didn't know who else to ask. So I said yes out of pity. Next thing I know, she's telling me that I need to come back home (1 hr away from town my college was in) the week before the wedding so I can help her put everything together and decorate the venue. Oh and I need to host a bridal shower and a bachelorette party for her and to contact her mom for who I needed to invite. So I told her that I didn't have that kind of money as a college student working part time and that I wasn't going to take a week off from school to be her slave labor and stepped down from the wedding party.

My mom and I were still invited to the wedding so we went to see what kind of trainwreck it would be. Ceremony was nice - if you overlooked the ghost-pale terrified looking bride. Reception was.... interesting. She had a karaoke machine, which she used to sing to everyone multiple times. Decorations were sad looking - she had hung up plastic tablecloths on the walls to hide the white cinderblock, which only drew your attention to it even more. There wasn't enough food (and it was at a mealtime too) so mom and I left early to go get food. I left the wedding feeling really sad for her.
  • Options
    @RomanceManaged
    LOL I remember when you first posted about that shitshow. Now I'm laughing about "bottom biscuits!"
    Me too....bottom biscuits! 

• Options
    FI's high school buddy got married a few years back, and it was interesting to say the least. They started by going to C-listing for invites; we found out because we and the other friends in our circle received invitations at different times with different RSVP dates, the couple was looking to fill seats last minute because they didn't make the minimum head count they negotiated with the venue. 

During the ceremony, the bride literally stopped and thought for a few minutes after the minister asked "Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?" and eventually shrugged and said, "Yeah, I guess so."

Friends who weren't invited were seriously offering to pay FI to bring them instead of me because the couple was completely BSC and they were hoping for a $Hit-show at the reception - no luck there, it was properly hosted, and the wedding fell one of the few days the couple actually got along and didn't get into a fist fight. Fast forward 2 months, we hear they're filing for divorce. 1 month later, we find out she's pregnant with his best friend's baby. 
  • Options
    FI's high school buddy got married a few years back, and it was interesting to say the least. They started by going to C-listing for invites; we found out because we and the other friends in our circle received invitations at different times with different RSVP dates, the couple was looking to fill seats last minute because they didn't make the minimum head count they negotiated with the venue. 

During the ceremony, the bride literally stopped and thought for a few minutes after the minister asked "Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?" and eventually shrugged and said, "Yeah, I guess so."

Friends who weren't invited were seriously offering to pay FI to bring them instead of me because the couple was completely BSC and they were hoping for a $Hit-show at the reception - no luck there, it was properly hosted, and the wedding fell one of the few days the couple actually got along and didn't get into a fist fight. Fast forward 2 months, we hear they're filing for divorce. 1 month later, we find out she's pregnant with his best friend's baby. 
    Shitting hell!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I know I shouldn't love this thread, but I do. The stories just keep getting crazier.
  • Options
    B & G got married in a church without air conditioning. In the middle of August. In Ohio. The BM passed out and cracked his head on a pew. (My mom -a retired nurse - checked him out and he was OK, but still.) As we left for the reception, the sky went dark and the temperature dropped 25 degrees. During the reception, a tornado touched down about a mile away and we had to duck and cover.
  • Options
    I saw this on weddingbee, this has to take the cake: 

They invited a guest to the last part of a TIERED RECEPTION who happened to be a professional photographer, did not ask her prior to take pictures, and then got mad at her when she didn't bring her pro camera! She thought she was a guest!!!

"A few years back I was invited to the late afternoon/early evening BBQ reception that followed the daytime wedding of some not tremendously close friends. Over here in the UK it isn’t an etiquette faux pas to have a tiered wedding and reception with some guests only invited to the evening reception so just getting an evening invitation wasn’t a problem for me.

However, it IS an etiquette faux pas to invite a professional photographer along (me) and then complain bitterly that said photographer hadn’t turned up with thousands of pounds’ worth of professional equipment. Only I thought I was a guest. Had I known I was expected to WORK then I might have done differently. Although given the attitude they showed me, I might well have preferred not to turn up at all. With or without a camera! 

It’s not that I mind taking pictures for friends either but please don’t invite me under the guise of friendship when what you really want is professional photography for free. They’d only hired their official photographer for the daytime proceedings on the basis that “another professional” was doing the evening. Not that anyone had had the decency to ask me whether this arrangement was acceptable! 

Read more: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/what-was-the-rudest-wedding-experiance-you-had/#ixzz42G3dlw1s"
  • Options
    B & G got married in a church without air conditioning. In the middle of August. In Ohio. The BM passed out and cracked his head on a pew. (My mom -a retired nurse - checked him out and he was OK, but still.) As we left for the reception, the sky went dark and the temperature dropped 25 degrees. During the reception, a tornado touched down about a mile away and we had to duck and cover.
    that was wild from start to finish!

My story:
    B&G hosted the wedding themselves on a budget. Hotel at the venue had a minimum 2 night stay, and since it was 3 hours away, DH and I decided to make a weekend out of it and booked for the 2 nights. Later found out B&G were graciously inviting anyone who was staying over the night before to the rehearsal dinner. We accepted the invitation, arrived on time, ate/drank, and mingled... and then received a bill at the end of the night for our drinks -- DH and I were totally surprised (as were others) and the server stood in front of us while we paid. Only the B&G, parents, and wedding party received hosted drinks (and an embarrassing side note, DH and I dressed up for dinner since it was at a nice restaurant but everyone else was wearing comfy clothes/jeans. Father of the bride wore a hoodie. One of the bridesmaid had PJ pants on). 

Day of wedding, the ceremony was in a goddamn greenhouse at a time of day when the sun was pouring in. No fans or air -- people were actually sweating and men were taking off their suit jackets if they had them, and others were folding up the programs to use as fans. Post ceremony, father of bride announced: "OK everyone, let's get out of this fricking thing and drink!!"

Cash bar during cocktail hour except for B&G, parents, and wedding party. Obviously same situation at reception. MOH toast included gross sex jokes. BM's toast included a story about a time where the groom shit himself in high school.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I haven't been to many weddings as an adult, but I work at a venue that sometimes hosts weddings.  A couple of examples that stick out in my mind:

-The wedding with a partially-hosted, partially-cash bar.  Sounds unremarkable, if unfortunate, right?  Well in this case alcoholic beverages were hosted and non-alcoholic beverages were available for purchase.  Want a rum and coke?  On the bride and groom!  Want that same coke *without* the rum?  Four dollars, please.  My colleague who booked that event tried her best to talk them out of that plan, but they were adamant.  I am still scratching my head over that one.

-The wedding that went from 220 to 300 guests 5 days before the event when the mother of the groom decided she absolutely HAD to invite everyone she knew at the very last minute and without permission from the bride and groom!
  • Options
    Not the fault of the couple, but the party:

Recently, I was at a wedding where we as guests overheard the groomsmen and best man making bets on how long the wedding would last. Something like $100 each in the pot, with the over/under around a year. 

I'm not sure I disagreed with them objectively, but I was mortified on behalf of the couple that they were having the conversation in the middle of a very nicely hosted reception (fully hosted bar, great food, sweet & savory dessert bar, etc....).
  • Options
    I haven't been to many weddings as an adult, but I work at a venue that sometimes hosts weddings.  A couple of examples that stick out in my mind:

-The wedding with a partially-hosted, partially-cash bar.  Sounds unremarkable, if unfortunate, right?  Well in this case alcoholic beverages were hosted and non-alcoholic beverages were available for purchase.  Want a rum and coke?  On the bride and groom!  Want that same coke *without* the rum?  Four dollars, please.  My colleague who booked that event tried her best to talk them out of that plan, but they were adamant.  I am still scratching my head over that one.

-The wedding that went from 220 to 300 guests 5 days before the event when the mother of the groom decided she absolutely HAD to invite everyone she knew at the very last minute and without permission from the bride and groom!
    WTH????? 
  • Options

A few years ago, I was invited to a wedding for a girl I worked with.  I didn't get a +1, and I knew just two other people at the wedding.  It was local, so I figured I would go.  It was mid-July.  That day hit 100+F.

The ceremony was in a church with no air conditioning.  The invitation said, "Ceremony to start promptly at 3.  Reception immediately to follow."  It was nearly 5 before the wedding party even entered the church.  The ceremony took over an hour, and the reception was an additional 45 minute drive away.

When I finally got to the reception, I sat down at the table with the other two people I knew and we waited.  For three hours.  There was no air conditioning at the reception space.  The bar wasn't open, and refused to open until the bridal party arrived.  There was no water on the table, and there was no food.  Even the water fountains were broken.

Around 9:30 that night, I found out that the bridal party was in a back room getting smashed while their guests waited for them.  Someone must have said something, because the bride's mom came out and (slurring her speech not a little) promised the reception would start soon, and had the bar opened.  I should have left then, but I must be a glutton for punishment because I stayed for another half hour.  The buffet was opened at 10, right after the bride and groom staggered out (more than a little disheveled).  By then, the professionally catered food was cold, and there was not even close to being enough to go around. 

Five minutes later, the bar ran out of alcohol.

I left without even saying congratulations to the happy couple.

I was a BM in a wedding in Austin two years ago, which happened to be held in the aftermath of that freak ice-storm that crippled most of Texas.  That wedding was outdoors, with an outdoor reception, and it was EXPONENTIALLY a far more enjoyable experience... Despite the fact that the daytime high was 22.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    Bleve0821 said:

A few years ago, I was invited to a wedding for a girl I worked with.  I didn't get a +1, and I knew just two other people at the wedding.  It was local, so I figured I would go.  It was mid-July.  That day hit 100+F.

The ceremony was in a church with no air conditioning.  The invitation said, "Ceremony to start promptly at 3.  Reception immediately to follow."  It was nearly 5 before the wedding party even entered the church.  The ceremony took over an hour, and the reception was an additional 45 minute drive away.

When I finally got to the reception, I sat down at the table with the other two people I knew and we waited.  For three hours.  There was no air conditioning at the reception space.  The bar wasn't open, and refused to open until the bridal party arrived.  There was no water on the table, and there was no food.  Even the water fountains were broken.

Around 9:30 that night, I found out that the bridal party was in a back room getting smashed while their guests waited for them.  Someone must have said something, because the bride's mom came out and (slurring her speech not a little) promised the reception would start soon, and had the bar opened.  I should have left then, but I must be a glutton for punishment because I stayed for another half hour.  The buffet was opened at 10, right after the bride and groom staggered out (more than a little disheveled).  By then, the professionally catered food was cold, and there was not even close to being enough to go around. 

I was a BM in a wedding in Austin two years ago, which happened to be held in the aftermath of that freak ice-storm that crippled most of Texas.  That wedding was outdoors, with an outdoor reception, and it was EXPONENTIALLY a far more enjoyable experience... Despite the fact that the daytime high was 22.

Holy shit show! I can't imagine that that couple has many friends left. 
  • Options
    Not all at the wedding or nearly as bad (or funny) as some of these:

Fi was the BM and the groomtold us his tux rental would be $150. Called to put a deposit down and the cost was $350. The bride had gone and changed everything and not told the groom. I was pissed because at the time Fi was broke so I had told him I would pay it (when it was $150) None of the GM could afford it, so grooms dad ending up paying for them. 

No one was allowed to bring their SO to the rehearsal dinner.

Fi and I ended up spending most of the evening with the groom trying to find another one of the GM because he got drunk at the RD and no one could find him. We found him about 2am.

Fi (as the BM) was pretty much tied to MOH all night(brides orders)I had never met her, but she pulled me aside and introduced herself. Figured I would like to the know the woman my Fi was stuck with all night. She ended up drunk in the back seat of my car crying on my shoulder because her BF left with another BM. That BM ended the night with a DUI. But I made a new friend in the MOH!

I later found out none of the BMs could afford their dresses either, so MOH family bought them all. 
  • Options
    Bleve0821 said:

Holy shit show! I can't imagine that that couple has many friends left. 
    @Bleve0821 how did it work when you saw her at work?   Did she get the stink eye from coworkers for her massive issues?   

• Options
    The day she came back from her honeymoon, she cleared out her desk. I don't know if she quit or was fired, but I never saw her again. No one had anything nice to say about her, so she wasn't missed.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    -One of my aunt's bridesmaids lit up a cigarette DURING the church ceremony. Then she huffed out of the church when the officiant asked her to put it out.

-Same wedding. It was a dry wedding, but the groom (bridesmaid's brother) kept a giant cooler of beer next to his chair for just himself. 

That family was a classy bunch.

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    -One of my aunt's bridesmaids lit up a cigarette DURING the church ceremony. Then she huffed out of the church when the officiant asked her to put it out.

-Same wedding. It was a dry wedding, but the groom (bridesmaid's brother) kept a giant cooler of beer next to his chair for just himself. 

That family was a classy bunch.

Crazy. Did the marriage last?
  • Options
    Ok this isn't a wedding I went to personally, but my friend told me about one she went to where the bride and groom decided to have their reception at Dave and Busters. For those of you who don't know Dave and Busters is a big chain arcade with full restaurant and bar, and there is a curfew for underage at a certain point in the night. There are also party rooms you can rent out for birthday parties, graduations, and wedding receptions apparently. Would not be my cup of tea, but I guess if you are a big gamer?

Anyway the room was kind of small, bland, not much happening so soon after arriving the guests of course dispersed to go and play the arcade games, because that's the point of having the reception there right? But this upset the bride who suddenly found herself almost entirely alone in an empty room on her big day, and apparently she didn't want to run around playing video games, despite the location, and didn't want everyone else to be either, so she burst into tears and was pretty much crying half the time wile a few people came back out of pity to try and keep her company. On top of which apparently some of her side of the family didn't like the groom or something and almost no one from her side showed up.

My friend said it was the saddest, most uncomfortable wedding she had ever been to, and I think I'm missing more to the event as well.
  • Options
    Ok this isn't a wedding I went to personally, but my friend told me about one she went to where the bride and groom decided to have their reception at Dave and Busters. For those of you who don't know Dave and Busters is a big chain arcade with full restaurant and bar, and there is a curfew for underage at a certain point in the night. There are also party rooms you can rent out for birthday parties, graduations, and wedding receptions apparently. Would not be my cup of tea, but I guess if you are a big gamer?

Anyway the room was kind of small, bland, not much happening so soon after arriving the guests of course dispersed to go and play the arcade games, because that's the point of having the reception there right? But this upset the bride who suddenly found herself almost entirely alone in an empty room on her big day, and apparently she didn't want to run around playing video games, despite the location, and didn't want everyone else to be either, so she burst into tears and was pretty much crying half the time wile a few people came back out of pity to try and keep her company. On top of which apparently some of her side of the family didn't like the groom or something and almost no one from her side showed up.

My friend said it was the saddest, most uncomfortable wedding she had ever been to, and I think I'm missing more to the event as well.
    Who decided that was a good idea? 
  • Options
    charlieray-2charlieray-2 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2016
    I've been to a grand total of two weddings in my adult life, well before I became a bride and before my discovery of TK and etiquette dos and don'ts...so these didn't really bug me like they would now...

-The first was for my really good friend (let's call her Kelsey) from high school when we were maybe 20:

The invitation was initially for just the ceremony (no reception to follow, but dammit I was going to watch my friend get married).

About a week before the ceremony Kelsey messaged me asking if we want to come to the reception (blah blah blah, "we're carpooling with so-and-so" "sure they can come too")...I now realize that we were B-Listed *sad face*.

Fast forward to the ceremony...it lasted about 20 minutes (while most of the guests had to drive 2 hours to be there), and we're all about 99% certain that it was a PPD ceremony.

My FMIL still complains about how ridiculous the whole thing was.

=====

-The second was for my best friends in the whole world 3 years ago (let's call them Anna and Christian) who finally realized they were meant to be after 7 years of "just friends." I was MOH:

A couple of planning things happened that irked me, but not really a huge deal in hind sight (except for having to tie/retie 200 tulle ribbons onto chairs at 3 in the morning by myself the night before [day of?] the wedding).

...Kelsey (yes the same from above and also Christian's ex) was not invited but added herself onto her parents' invite (so freaking awkward)...not to mention that Anna seemed to think it was a race to get to the alter with Christian before Kelsey married her FI (Kelsey won by about 6 months)

The ceremony lasted 5 minutes (not even a joke) and Anna's mom missed it because she was out front talking to people even after BM and I gave everyone a 10 and 5 minute warning that it was going to start (there wasn't really a processional that included parent's they were just supposed to be in their seats I guess *shrug*)

There was no structure or timeline or anything for the reception (same place thankfully or it would have been a circus): Dinner started over an hour after the ceremony (with no cocktail hour in between) and was self catered by Christian's mom (the food was actually really good and there was plenty of it...even though Anna and Christian are vegetarians and couldn't eat most of it). There was no dancing or music or entertainment at all really. The cake cutting was over an hour after everyone had finished eating (they also forgot a knife to cut the cake) and toasts were after that, after a lot of the guests had left.

I swear the whole thing lasted like 8 hours and (at least I) was miserable by the end.

The head table was in a weird little corner....which never really got used because sometime in the middle of the reception Christian's mom had to go make them actually talk to their guests instead of sitting awkwardly in a side room of the house.

I love them to death, but they should really not be allowed to plan weddings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know I keep asking about acronyms and I swear I look for them, but what is TY;DR? I've seen TL;DR but couldn't find the skinny on TY. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards