Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Wording for a No-Kids Wedding

Re: Wording for a No-Kids Wedding

• Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    I would prefer to let the guest know...before hand than avoiding it. Its your party and you do what you want AND makes you happy.

It's her party so it's her job to be a gracious host, and that includes and starts with the invitations.
  • Options
    I know it's considered tacky or rude in the US, but here in South Africa it's perfectly acceptable to put "Regret No Children" or similar. Just thought I'd weigh in with that perfectly useless piece of trivia. Of course, addressing the invitations is also done a little differently here from what I've seen (not that I'm in any way involved in the wedding industry), so that could be a part of it.

I'm finding that invitation etiquette is not so set-in-stone as it once was, it depends largely on the people involved. You should consider your guests and what their feelings would be. If you can be certain that no one on your guest list (whether they have children or not) would be offended by seeing "Regret No Children", then I'd say go ahead. If there's even the slightest chance that someone would be offended though, it's better to leave it off and field the calls.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    urbaneca said:
    I know it's considered tacky or rude in the US, but here in South Africa it's perfectly acceptable to put "Regret No Children" or similar. Just thought I'd weigh in with that perfectly useless piece of trivia. Of course, addressing the invitations is also done a little differently here from what I've seen (not that I'm in any way involved in the wedding industry), so that could be a part of it.

I'm finding that invitation etiquette is not so set-in-stone as it once was, it depends largely on the people involved. You should consider your guests and what their feelings would be. If you can be certain that no one on your guest list (whether they have children or not) would be offended by seeing "Regret No Children", then I'd say go ahead. If there's even the slightest chance that someone would be offended though, it's better to leave it off and field the calls.
    There's really no way to ensure that no one would be offended, so it's better just to follow etiquette and leave it off. I don't even have kids, but I would definitely think it was tacky if a bride and groom put that on invitations.  And "Regret No Children" doesn't even make sense.
  • Options
    libby2483 said:
    urbaneca said:

There's really no way to ensure that no one would be offended, so it's better just to follow etiquette and leave it off. I don't even have kids, but I would definitely think it was tacky if a bride and groom put that on invitations.  And "Regret No Children" doesn't even make sense.
    It probably makes sense if you live in South Africa. Other countries don't have the same sentence structure and word use that we have in the USA - not to mention the same set of etiquette rules. PP lives in the country of South Africa, as she clearly stated.
    I'm well aware of that, but since she is telling a person who doesn't live in South Africa to put that on her invitations, it doesn't make sense. 
  • Options
    On our response cards we put:

___ seats have been reserved for you 

with how many the invite was for. Then we put our additional information of how many accept/decline and their meal choice. 
  • Options
    Sweet letters and other blatant "Your kids aren't invited" statements are just rude.

It's not rude to clarify that the invitation was only for the adults.   It IS rude to state that you're not inviting a specific group. 
  • Options
    What about those people who RSVP only for themselves, because they figure they'll just bring happy meals for the kids? Then you don't know the kids are there til they're there.
  • Options
    lfk2013lfk2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    I had this issue.  I sent the invitation to a friend and her husband and she asked if young kids (that is, under 5) were allowed.  (My cousins are 9 and my soon-to-be youngest nephew is 10-11).  I politely told her no.  I even offered to have a babysitter available at the hotel, but she decided it would just be her and the husband would stay in TX with the kids.

It's your wedding and your friends should respect your wishes.

ETA:  In the invitation for the people I knew have children under 5, I put an insert regarding child care at the hotel.  Other than the person I mentioned above, no one asked.  Most said no, but one couple are viewing it as a weekend getaway.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The problem with a construct like "we've reserved x seats for you" is it only works if their kids are old enough to need their own chair and a separate meal. I know a lot of people would assume their infants were invited unless otherwise clarified, since you wouldn't address a wedding invitation to "Mr. & Mrs. Smith along with Their Infant." If people are offended by a note on the invitation or the wedding website clarifying that you're having an adult-only reception, those people need to find more important things to get upset about. 
  • Options
    On my wedding website, on a details page I said, "This is a formal occasion; I apologize, but no children allowed." It also is getting spread by word of mouth, by my mom and anyone who asks.
  • Options
    I like the wording "An Adult Affair" 
  • Options
    I only listed the invited parties on our envelopes, but I know not everyone will pay attention to that. But I didn't want to put it on our invitations so I did try to tactfully approach it with the few that I thought wouldn't pay attention to the wording on the envelope.

First thing I did, before the invitations went out, was try to engage a conversation with the guest(s) in question.  Most of them were our friends/cousins, so they are people I speak with often.  Naturally most of them would ask me how the planning was going and I would chit chat a bit about it.  During the conversation, in a very off the cuff way, I would say something like "I hope you have your dancing shoes and babysitter ready.  It is going to be a fun night!"  Most of them responded with an agreeable, "it'll be nice to have a date night." or something to the like.  Something indicating that they got the message.

The other thing I did, was on the blank line on the RSVP for names, I filled it in before I sent it out to them.  You know how people tell you to number the RSVP cards in case someone doesn't fill in their name, on those, I didn't put a number, just their names. 

That worked for me.  It may not for you, but it is just my two cents.  All my RSVPs were due Friday and no kids were added on.  And I only had one friend reply with a plus one that wasn't invited.

Hope you find something that works for you.  :) 
  • Options
    I wrote "respectfully an adult event" at the bottom of the invite. I use to be a planner and it is not rude at all. In fact, I received a lot of compliments about the wording and how they liked that the message came across but that it didn't feel like a rude comment.

• Options
    It is not as simple as not putting their names on the invite...TRUST ME!  On your RSVP, make mention of a baby sitter!  We said, "Hire a baby sitter and enjoy a weekend away in Michigan's Most Romantic City!"

Then on our invites we had all the details to the ceremony and said, "Adults-only reception to follow."  People usually won't get the kids all ready for the wedding, bring them to the ceremony only to have to go home and drop them off at the sitters, and turn around and come back for the reception.  Also....spread the word!  Tell your family and close friends personally.  The word will get around. 

PLEASE, for your own sanity, don't JUST omit their names on the invite.  That will go over like a lead balloon. 
  • Options
    We are navigating this by including babysitting information with our invitation suite as well as only addressing the invitations to those we intend to include.  Hopefully that will clue people in. 
  • Options
    The only kids who are attending my wedding are my son, my sisters kids and family who live more than 2hr away. I plan on calling my family members who have kids beforehand to give them a heads up that way there is no avoiding the 'oh so awkward' conversation. Most my family members know that weddings are for adults only and would love a night out! I will be putting the "2 seats reserved" thing just as a reminder. I don't feel it rude to state anything about adult only I think not stating then having to call everyone to clarify is more hassle for the bride esp In the last few months.
  • Options

On my inventations I put "Adult only reception to follow" and if they still didnt get the clue on my RSVP i put

___ Seats reserved in your honor 

___ Adults attending

___ Regretfully will not be attending

I also put "with respect, we would like our special day to be an adult only occasion"

I think they got the point. lol

• Options
    At the same time, I will not be offended or upset with any parent who opts not to attend my wedding because they CAN'T bring their children. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards