Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Wording for a No-Kids Wedding

Re: Wording for a No-Kids Wedding

• Options
    @southernbelle0915 Good pickup! Yes, there are tons of noob's who are planning on being rude to their honored guests.
  • Options
    I'm not "concerned" it's many people's first post - I'm glad more people are getting involved. It just strikes me as odd since I've never seen so may first-time posters post in one day, about one issue, all agreeing on the same thing. It's very unusual. I never said I was more knowledgeable, but I did state a fact: it is rude to say who IS NOT invited on any type of invitation. This is not a matter of opinion. It's a fact.

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-questions/wedding-guest-list-advice/qa/telling-guests-its-18-and-over.aspx?cm_ven=Responsys&cm_cat=KnotStages&cm_pla=Stage_09&cm_ite=-1

You may be of the opinion that you don't CARE if it's rude, but that's different. Usually, it's not wise to advise people to do rude things - especially when there are brides who have no idea what they're doing, they want to treat their guests properly and they want good advice on how to do it. If you don't care how you treat your guests, fine. Whatever. But most people do want to treat their guests according to etiquette and they want good advice on how to do so. Telling someone to do something that is considered against etiquette doesn't help anyone.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    luckicharmsluckicharms member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2013

0.o

I guess I live in a savage land of rudeness because here in western PA, it's common practice for us to put a notice in the invitations if it's to be an adult only event. It's considered rude if you omit someone's name from the invitation without an explanation. Parents who only receive an invite with just their names and not their child's may wonder if it's only their kid who isn't invited. Clarifying in the invitation relieves any confusion for all the guests in the sense of “who”, “why” and/or “did they just forget Little Johnny?”.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I don’t care about what is and isn’t etiquette in the old world of invitations, that simply doesn’t apply to the rest of the world anymore.

• Options

0.o

I guess I live in a savage land of rudeness because here in
    western PA, it's common practice for us to put a notice in the invitations if
    it's to be an adult only event. It's considered rude if you omit someone's name
    from the invitation without an explanation. Parents who only receive an invite
    with just their names and not their child's may wonder if it's only their kid
    who isn't invited. Clarifying in the invitation relieves any confusion for all
    the guests in the sense of “who”, “why” and/or “did they just forget Little Johnny?”.
     <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I don’t care about what is and isn’t etiquette in the old
    world of invitations, that simply doesn’t apply to the rest of the world
    anymore.

Again, you can dislike what is proper etiquette but it certainly DOES apply. You're not following it and that's your choice.
  • Options
    Different geographical locations have different traditions and requirements when it comes to the world of socially acceptable rules/guidelines. Some things acceptable here are not there and so on. Everyone seems to be full of rock solid statements of what they know to be acceptable which is all really a matter of opinion. I know of a lot of places where it is entirely rude to leave a guest questioning if children are invited and places where it is rude to state who isn't invited.

I myself would lean toward just placing the invitees names on the invitation and giving a follow-up call if necessary. It's just a lot more personable and will leave you and your guest on the same page.

At the end of the day there are plenty of things to figure out and stress about for a wedding. Kids or no kids is your decision and how you choose to communicate that to your guests is up to you. Your wedding is in fact a reflection of you and your 'soon to be' so your guests will expect things your way. Most will be understanding and just happy to be invited to your big day.
  • Options
    aefitz29 said:

Different geographical locations have different traditions and requirements when it comes to the world of socially acceptable rules/guidelines. Some things acceptable here are not there and so on. Everyone seems to be full of rock solid statements of what they know to be acceptable which is all really a matter of opinion. I know of a lot of places where it is entirely rude to leave a guest questioning if children are invited and places where it is rude to state who isn't invited.

I myself would lean toward just placing the invitees names on the invitation and giving a follow-up call if necessary. It's just a lot more personable and will leave you and your guest on the same page.

At the end of the day there are plenty of things to figure out and stress about for a wedding. Kids or no kids is your decision and how you choose to communicate that to your guests is up to you. Your wedding is in fact a reflection of you and your 'soon to be' so your guests will expect things your way. Most will be understanding and just happy to be invited to your big day.

Truly you have a dizzying intellect.
  • Options
    PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    And a love of Princess Bride quotes but not for cattiness...explaining how not to be rude to others by being rude is really just oxymoronic behavior.
  • Options
    KBM082814KBM082814 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2013
    I didn't get a chance to go through all of the responses...but I hope this idea might be an option for you. Here in my home town we have a place that holds weekly wedding workshops and on the "invitations" night we talked about etiquitte for invitations. They said you NEVER state "adult only" "no kids" etc. 

One way to avoid this is by putting only the guests you are inviting on the envelope, then inside on the RSVP card you state:

___ seats have been reserved in your name
    ___ will be attending

You can play around with the way you word it, but once you say how many seats are reserved for them, there is no way to go above that number.

For the singles that you are allowing to bring a guest, their envelop will have their name on the envelope, but inside it will say:

__2__ seats have been reserved in your name

That way they can RSVP as 1 or 2 if they chose to come alone or bring a guest. (But they can't bring more than one guests because only 2 total seats are reserved in their name.)

I hope that makes sense and that it helps.

-Kayla
  • Options
    aefitz29 said:
    And a love of Princess Bride quotes but not for cattiness...explaining how not to be rude to others by being rude is really just oxymoronic behavior.

Yeah, I don't care about being rude to strangers on the internet.  I DO care about being rude to my friends and family. 

• Options
    PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    daveANDkristen said:
    aefitz29 said:

Yeah, I don't care about being rude to strangers on the internet.  I DO care about being rude to my friends and family. 

You sound like a lovely person. :D
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    INCONCEIVABLE!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    aefitz29 said:

I agree with your basic premise.  It's one thing if we're talking about what is appropriate in another country, though.  What gets me is people who say "I'm from the midwest and it's fine!  Everybody does it and I will too!".  As I said, I'm also from the Midwest and I can't recall that ever being printed on a wedding invitation that I received.  Most of the weddings I've been to have been adults only/very few children too.  I like to err on the side of propriety since everyone obviously has a different experience/viewpoint on the issue.

ETA: removing an extra word

• Options
    aefitz29 said:

I agree with your basic premise.  It's one thing if we're talking about what is appropriate in another country, though.  What gets me is people who say "I'm from the midwest and it's fine!  Everybody does it and I will too!".  As I said, I'm also from the Midwest and I can't recall that ever being printed on a wedding invitation that I received.  Most of the weddings I've been to have been adults only/very few children too.  I like to err on the side of propriety since everyone obviously has a different experience/viewpoint on the issue.

ETA: removing an extra word

I can respect that.
  • Options
    @maggie0829 -- you are a saint.

Regardless of how much you argue, bunch of angry newbie posters who seem to have come out of the woodwork, the fact of the matter is that putting "adults only" or ANY VERSION THEREOF on anything wedding related is inappropriate. We can't stop you from breaking etiquette and subtly insulting the intelligence of your guests, but be prepared for your guests to laugh at you behind your backs.

I really think it's hysterical that you refer to people "insulting their guests' intelligence," when you are blatantly insulting the intelligence of anyone that dares to go against "etiquette."
    Out dated etiquette is not the end all and be all. Flame me if you wish, but get over it and yourself.
  • Options
    Why is etiquette outdated?
  • Options
    Maybe outdated is the incorrect word. Perhaps "not as required as it once was" is a better way of putting it. I understand that some people believe that writing a certain phrase, i.e. "Adults Only, Please," or some other such note is rude because it goes against etiquette. However, as many others have stated (n00bs/first time posters or not), etiquette is different all over the world and even within different areas of the US.
    Yes, maybe this is the first time I have ever posted on the Knot, but the lack of respect all around, from both sides (and yes, I'm even referring to myself, because I got so frustrated that I lashed out unnecessarily), has really discouraged me from returning to these boards seeking advice...
    Yes, I'll write something on our invitations or our website indicating who is not invited to the Zebra and Turtle wedding affair to remember (AKA our wedding). 
    No, this does not make me a "Bridezilla" nor my man a "Groomzilla."
    This makes me realistic.
  • Options
    Wow!  Super rude!
  • Options
    Maybe outdated is the incorrect word. Perhaps "not as required as it once was" is a better way of putting it. I understand that some people believe that writing a certain phrase, i.e. "Adults Only, Please," or some other such note is rude because it goes against etiquette. However, as many others have stated (n00bs/first time posters or not), etiquette is different all over the world and even within different areas of the US. I'm all about learning about etiquette outside the US and inside the US - it helps when answering questions people have. Can you please show me a REPUTABLE source from another country (or the US) where it says "You should write 'adults only' or some such phrase so that your guests because otherwise, they will not know who is invited." If you can find me anything that says something like that from a respected source like Emily Post or Miss Manners from another country, then I'm all ears. My guess? You can't. You're trying to use "culture" or "region" as an excuse because you think your guests are too stupid to read an invitation. Wherever you're from, I bet there's someone here on TK from the same area code who would tell you this is horribly rude. 
    Yes, maybe this is the first time I have ever posted on the Knot, but the lack of respect all around, from both sides (and yes, I'm even referring to myself, because I got so frustrated that I lashed out unnecessarily), has really discouraged me from returning to these boards seeking advice... People are allowed to disagree with you. Especially if what you're saying is bad etiquette. You also don't get to tell people to "get over themselves" and their "fembot etiquette books" and then preach respect. Sorry, but it goes both ways.
    Yes, I'll write something on our invitations or our website indicating who is not invited to the Zebra and Turtle wedding affair to remember (AKA our wedding). 
    No, this does not make me a "Bridezilla" nor my man a "Groomzilla."
    This makes me realistic. I wouldn't say realistic, but I would say rude. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

KBM082814 said:
    I didn't get a chance to go through all of the responses...but I hope this idea might be an option for you. Here in my home town we have a place that holds weekly wedding workshops and on the "invitations" night we talked about etiquitte for invitations. They said you NEVER state "adult only" "no kids" etc. 

One way to avoid this is by putting only the guests you are inviting on the envelope, then inside on the RSVP card you state:

___ will be attending

You can play around with the way you word it, but once you say how many seats are reserved for them, there is no way to go above that number.

For the singles that you are allowing to bring a guest, their envelop will have their name on the envelope, but inside it will say:

That way they can RSVP as 1 or 2 if they chose to come alone or bring a guest. (But they can't bring more than one guests because only 2 total seats are reserved in their name.)

-Kayla

KBM082814 said:

___ will be attending

-Kayla

• Options
    Meagan831 - First I love how your name is spelled. (Mine is the same.)
    I've never left a reply on a post before but wanted to thank you for your post.  
    I have been raised to be very polite but did not know that there is an etiquette rule regarding stating that it is an adult affair on the invite. As I read this post trail though, I became memorized by how passionately some people felt about this and then horrified at some of the responses.  I think your reply was similar to what I felt, albeit probably worded better.
    I feel like some etiquette rules are similar to acceptable words.  Growing up, I remember teachers telling classmates that "ain't" was not in the dictionary and thus was not a word.  Now it is in the dictionary and by their rationale, now a word.  I will never use it.  But I don't cringe when others do. Different things are acceptable to different people and sometimes I do not like what is acceptable to someone else but overall our differences are a good thing.  They make cultures and people more interesting.  
    Congrats to all the engaged people on this post! :)

Oh, based on some of the previous posts and replied I have read on here.  If anyone feels that I am wrong about something and needs to tell me, I want to preemptively say - you are welcome to your opinion.  I am welcome to mine.  And I will not have a back-and-forth conversation about who is right or wrong.
  • Options

meaganlhd said:
    Meagan831 - First I love how your name is spelled. (Mine is the same.)
    I've never left a reply on a post before but wanted to thank you for your post.  
    I have been raised to be very polite but did not know that there is an etiquette rule regarding stating that it is an adult affair on the invite. As I read this post trail though, I became memorized by how passionately some people felt about this and then horrified at some of the responses.  I think your reply was similar to what I felt, albeit probably worded better.
    I feel like some etiquette rules are similar to acceptable words.  Growing up, I remember teachers telling classmates that "ain't" was not in the dictionary and thus was not a word.  Now it is in the dictionary and by their rationale, now a word.  I will never use it.  But I don't cringe when others do. Different things are acceptable to different people and sometimes I do not like what is acceptable to someone else but overall our differences are a good thing.  They make cultures and people more interesting.  
    Congrats to all the engaged people on this post! :)

Oh, based on some of the previous posts and replied I have read on here.  If anyone feels that I am wrong about something and needs to tell me, I want to preemptively say - you are welcome to your opinion.  I am welcome to mine.  And I will not have a back-and-forth conversation about who is right or wrong.

We certainly are welcome to our own opinions and sure, diversity makes the world interesting.

I think the point that people are missing is that etiquette is about being a proper host and not being rude to your guests. When people ignore the rules, regardless of what their personal opinion is on the rule, they are being rude and are risk offending their guests.

People make assumptions that these breaches are acceptable in their circle because they've seen others do it, or they don't think it's rude....It's still rude, they just aren't personally bothered by it. However, their other guests may be offended and the host will probably never no because the guests are more polite then the hosts are and don't say anything.

So our goal isn't to be tit for tat or to win or to bash anyone, it's to let you know that hey, you're violating etiquette and you are potentially going to offend your guests. It's hard to give people advice indicating something is acceptable when it leads to improper hosting. 

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    I  couldn't begin to  see my wedding (9-20-2014) with out kids there. I  was always told tradition says if there are children in the wedding  party then children are allowed at the wedding if not  then it was who was on the invitation. Never the less I have  my niece as my flower girl and my nephew as my  ring bearer so children are more then welcome at mine.  They are family just like their parents so  why not invite them. Can make for some really great candid wedding pics.
  • Options
    KaylinSPKaylinSP member
    First Comment
    edited September 2013
    Wow! A fellow bride asking for some simple advice turned into this?? Ladies, I know YOU probably know how to throw the classiest wedding around, but you don't have to be snobby about it. 
    I'm absolutely thrilled to be getting married, all of my friends and family are thrilled for me, and I don't know a single person who would genuinely get so hung up on the wording of "no kids". That seams so silly to me. I understand etiquette, I do. But a lot of you ladies preaching etiquette are being incredibly rude yourselves. 

Ya'll need to chill. 

Love to all of my fellow brides! 
    Good luck on the no kids thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards