Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Wording for a No-Kids Wedding

15678911»

Re: Wording for a No-Kids Wedding

• Options
    Thanks for this post. Our ceremony is for everyone, however the reception is for adults only.  I do not want to be rude and I love children but we are having an open bar and adult themed music and dancing. The kid’s plates are $40 each and most kids waste food.  A kid should not see my future husband under my dress getting the garter. NO way!
    Please make sure that you do not invite the children to the ceremony.  If you do, then you must invite them to the reception as well.  If you don't want kids there then don't invite them to any part of your day.
    This.  You should invite every guest to both the ceremony and reception, regardless of whether or not they're still a minor.
  • Options
    I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Why would you even want to bring your kids to an event where people get drunk and may or may not give inappropriate toasts? It's their one night to get away and have adult fun!
    Anyway, I also feel very strongly about not having kids at my wedding. Every wedding I've been to that had kids were all ruined in some way (crying during the ceremony, running around during the first dance). I considered writing ADULTS ONLY on the invitation, but I think it's in poor taste. It just looks bad. There aren't too many couples in my and my fiance's family so we will just have our parents call them and explain that this is an adults only event.
    It's your wedding and you are not going to get to re-do it. If you don't want kids there, just make it clear one way or another.
  • Options
    Thanks for this post. Our ceremony is for everyone, however the reception is for adults only.  I do not want to be rude and I love children but we are having an open bar and adult themed music and dancing. The kid’s plates are $40 each and most kids waste food.  A kid should not see my future husband under my dress getting the garter. NO way!
    Then you cannot invite them to the ceremony either.  Only address the invitation to the parents.  Tell people who RSVP with their kids anyway that you're terribly sorry for the confusion but only the parents are invited, and you hope that they'll still be able to come. 

News flash - nobody wants to see your husband under your dress going hell bent for garter.  Ick.

• Options
    ddvirts said:

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Why would you even want to bring your kids to an event where people get drunk and may or may not give inappropriate toasts? It's their one night to get away and have adult fun!
    Anyway, I also feel very strongly about not having kids at my wedding. Every wedding I've been to that had kids were all ruined in some way (crying during the ceremony, running around during the first dance). I considered writing ADULTS ONLY on the invitation, but I think it's in poor taste. It just looks bad. There aren't too many couples in my and my fiance's family so we will just have our parents call them and explain that this is an adults only event.
    It's your wedding and you are not going to get to re-do it. If you don't want kids there, just make it clear one way or another.

I think it's because weddings are dramatically different depending on where you go. In my parents' circle, weddings are always dry. They are simple events with cake and punch after church. Everybody brings children because there's no reason not to. It gets more challenging when you truly want to put on an adult affair but don't want to bonk people over the head with that fact ("Uh, hello, drunk people here! Not kid-appropriate!"). Which is why it gets so frustrating when you *know* people's first reaction is to assume your event is a family affair, regardless of what the envelope says.
    And yes, if you have a huge guest list with lots of people out of town/out of state, you probably won't have that many opportunities to talk in advance. Not everyone has family close by or even in regular contact.
  • Options
    ddvirts said:
    First, not everyone gets drunk and acts a fool at weddings.  Many times people act like the mature adults that they are.

Second, a kid crying during the ceremony and/or running around during the first dance certainly does not equate to ruining the wedding day.  A tornado coming through an hour before your ceremony is set to start and destroying your venue or a blizzard dumping 4 feet of snow on the ground the night before your wedding or a hurricane blowing in and wiping out an entire town the weekend of your wedding, now that equals the day being ruined.  A crying kid?  Not so much.

Third, if this is yours and your FI wedding then you two should be making the calls, not putting your parents in the position of being the bad guys because of a choice that the two of you have made.  Grow up.

• Options
    ddvirts said:
    If you do not want kids at your reception, then don't invite them to the ceremony.  Anyone of any age invited to the ceremony must be invited to the reception.  Period.  The reception is for "receiving" your guests-even if they are newborns.  If you don't want them there, then don't invite them to any part of the event.
  • Options

"Please leave little ones with loved ones"

Simple as that! :)

• Options
    teselynnteselynn member
    First Comment
    edited August 2014
    nm i didnt realize this thread was dead lol. 
    a lot of you ladies are full of your selves though. 
    snobby even .

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    teselynn said:
    nm i didnt realize this thread was dead lol. 
    a lot of you ladies are full of your selves though. 
    snobby even .

Is there a reason you feel the need to be rude and break the TOS? @teselynn
  • Options
    DIE, zombie thread!  @knotporscha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards