Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

People won't miss wedding cake, right?

FH and I don't want a wedding cake as well as a cake cutting. I also happen to work for a large pastry manufacturer and our desserts are fantastic. The venue will let me bring in my own desserts. I plan on having cheesecakes, mousse cakes, layer cakes, tarts and cookie. People won't miss a traditional wedding cake, right? 

Re: People won't miss wedding cake, right?

• Options
    Personally, I like seeing a traditional wedding cake at a wedding.  However, you don't have to have one and it sounds like you are offering your guests lots of yummy dessert options instead.
  • Options
    FH and I don't want a wedding cake as well as a cake cutting. I also happen to work for a large pastry manufacturer and our desserts are fantastic. The venue will let me bring in my own desserts. I plan on having cheesecakes, mousse cakes, layer cakes, tarts and cookie. People won't miss a traditional wedding cake, right? 

Haha

Some regs on here would miss cake!

I was in the same boat as you. We didn't want a wedding cake or cake cutting. So, we opted for cookies and brownes instead of cake.

What you're planning is fine.

• Options
    All those dessert options sound great-but if there's no "cutting," I think people will miss that.  Maybe you can cut a cheesecake or a layer cake?
  • Options
    I would miss the cake, unless it were chocolate cake. However, I could be made happy with lots of other yumminess. But I would still miss cake. I LOVE cake :)
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    All those dessert options sound great-but if there's no "cutting," I think people will miss that.  Maybe you can cut a cheesecake or a layer cake?

Just curious...why?

Feeding each other cake in front of guests is weird, IMHO.

• Options
    Ooohhh, those desserts sound good. In my opinion as long as there is a dessert I do not care if it's cake, pie, candy bar ect.
  • Options
    itzMS said:
    Jen4948 said:

Just curious...why?

For many people it's a signal that they can now leave the reception because the main events are over.

Even if it's not done at any specific wedding, it does seem to be a pretty expected, shall we say, part of a reception.  It's not required that the couple feed each other cake and I don't really care for that either, but they do at least cut it.
  • Options
    On four weddings the other day.. they cut a PIZZA! they didnt want a cake... We are doing a cake because I couldn't imagine it any other way.. but who cares if you have a cake to cut or not! :) As everyone keeps telling.... "IT'S YOUR DAY!" :)  
  • Options
    Holy moly -  that dessert spread sounds awesome!! With all those options, I do not think anyone will miss cake. Just cut into your cheesecake and that can be your cake cutting. Sounds good to me!

FWIW - We hired a chocolatier to do our desserts. I ended up making our wedding cake because I got feedback that people would miss the cake (I bake). I made enough for everyone and it was popular, but the truffles went like hotcakes. We got a ton of compliments on NOT doing traditional cake. Might just be my crowd. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Since your reception is the day after your ceremony, it should be different than a traditional reception held immediately after a ceremony. So I think you should skip the cake cutting.  As soon as your venue puts out all the desserts and people start cutting them, that would signal to them they can leave at any time. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I've definitely been to a few weddings recently where they did no cake cutting. I certainly didn't miss it. Desserts were just put out on everyone's tables. 
  • Options
    I would miss cake, but as long as you have a selection of other sweets, I could be mollified.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have a somewhat notorious sweet tooth, but as long as you're providing dessert, I wouldn't miss cake at all.
  • Options
    I like the ceremonial aspect of everyone eating cake together. So I would like a dessert spread if it was announced in some way; then everyone can sit down together and compare/share desserts.

Anniversary

• Options
    I love cake. Actually I love frosting. I never bake or let myself eat it unless I'm at a wedding. I would personally miss it, but as long as you've got dessert covered, you're good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The layer cakes I'm bringing are like a traditional cake with layers and icing. 
  • Options
    Between the cheesecake and tarts, I would be all set. The more important question is how many servings per person? I would be dying to try at least two and maybe more (depending how rich the mousse cake is).
  • Options
    The layer cakes I'm bringing are like a traditional cake with layers and icing. 
    I think that having this will make anyone who really wants cake happy - and cutting one of these cakes or a cheesecake will make those guests who like the photo op happy (if you want to do that).

Personally, while I enjoy having wedding cake (it's really the only time I ever eat cake), I would be like a kid in a candy store with all the options you're providing.
  • Options
    Just give me real buttercream icing, (with a spoon and a to-go cup) and I'll be a happy wedding guest
  • Options
    itzMS said:
    Jen4948 said:

Just curious...why?

Because people like cheesy wedding traditions.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love wedding cakes, so I would absolutely miss a traditional wedding cake.  That's my favorite part of the reception.  Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    I wouldmt miss it as long as there is dessert. I don't like wedding cakes they are pretty but don't often taste very good.
  • Options

I went to a "wedding" celebration backyard BBQ (the couple was married 2 weeks before) and we were told there was no cake so we left after things were dying down (they changed out of wedding clothes by this time!)

Then talking to the groom about a month later we find out there was a cake cutting, and a gift opening that we missed! We were not happy, had we known we would have stuck around.

I think as long as everyone isn't waiting around for a cake cutting. Maybe you and the groom can be the first people to, I don't know eat a cookie, declare the dessert table open, or something insted.

Just my $.02  

• Options
    I just want dessert. I don't care what shape it's in. I don't care if you cut it or not. Your plan sounds awesome, and you are still having cake. It just isn't a 3 tiers and covered in white buttercream. 
  • Options
    I want dessert. I my book, the more options, the better. Also, the more chocolate, the better.
  • Options
    I would miss cake, but I love cake.  Ditto on the tub of buttercream and a spoon comment.  I could eat icing all day.  That said, I see weddings as a chance to eat dessert and then have my cake too.  But I do think you have dessert covered if you don't do one.  I just always want more dessert.  :D

• Options
    Definitely not, especially if there's an unbelievable spread of desserts in front of them!  I've been to two weddings in the last year that had cupcake towers instead of cake, and no cake-cutting...both times it was a hit!  As long as guests are getting dessert they won't care.  (If they do, it's kind of weird lol..)
  • Options
    My friend didn't have a cake at her wedding and it wasn't until about a week later that it dawned on me there hadn't been one. The last couple of weddings I've been to did have cake but there was no cake cutting. If possible I'll be avoiding it - it's just not me!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards