Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

how long did you date before he popped the question?

Re: how long did you date before he popped the question?

• Options
    About 16 months.  I literally can't imagine moving slower or faster.  We had amazing timing though. We met at a time when both of us were out of school (lucky, since he did 4 years of grad school), had solid jobs (and actually, during our first 8 months of dating, both of us managed to get better jobs, and I like to think we pushed each other to be better), and had our finances in order. When he proposed, I was 25 and he was 28.  I know a lot of people on here date a lot longer, but honestly, we were two adults with everything else going well, and it was the right timing.  Getting engaged was not a surprise at all.  We'd been talking seriously about it around a year, moved in together just after a year, and the ring was an heirloom from my side of the family, so I even was pretty sure of what week it was coming after we got it from my parents on a trip to visit them (though he totally surprised me the night he did it, and that was really cool). 
  • Options

We were together a little over 4 years when he proposed. We had not talked about marriage, looked for rings or anything. (he always got a little squirmy when I would mention anything related to weddings. His parents went through a pretty nasty divorce right before we met.. left a bad taste in his mouth.. so I didn't want to push him before he was ready.)

When he proposed, I was completly and utterly shocked. Come to find out he had researched rings behind my back.. and even contacted my parents. He proposed last year on black Friday while taking a walk on the trail where I run. (We had also taken a walk there on our first date.) It was quiet, semi-secluded and perfect. We were married this past October, after being together just over 5 years.

• Options
    1.5 years officially. I thought he was going to do it in the fall closer to 2 years, but he asked in June.
  • Options
    4 years. Completely a surprise. :)

Just can't wait til July 11th, 2015!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We were dating for almost 2 years before he proposed (1 year 10 mths). I knew it was coming, just didn't know how or when :)
  • Options
    6 years. I knew it was coming because he asked me to go ring shopping to show him what I liked. It was so sweet, I told him at Christmas time that I was ready (he had been ready for a few years) and he brought me shopping a few days later. He then proposed in February :)
  • Options
    I was with my last boyfriend for just over 7 years (25-32) and we rarely talked marriage, which wasn't an issue for either of us (sign we didn't really want to be married to each other? you betcha!). When I met my FI, I new within 5 minutes that I had just met the man I was going to marry (luckily, the feeling was mutual!). We exchanged "I love you"s within the month and casually talked about getting married shortly there after; moved in together right around 6 months, started seriously talking marriage around 9 months (where/when) and he proposed just after a year. We will marry on July 19, 2014. I sometimes look back on past relationships and am in awe of how different being with "the right" man feels. When you know, you know (...and it only took me 35 years to know ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    3.5 years.  I knew it was going to happen at some point. We had talked about it happening at some point in the future. He mom gave him his grandmothers ring a year earlier, so I knew he had a ring.  We were out of town visiting my family when he did it.  I kind of suspected something was going on because he was extremely adamant that his backpack would not leave his side during the whole trip.  So, I thought something was up... or he was just being weird (not uncommon).  But, I didn't expect it to happen when he did... he missed his planned opportunity due to some uncontrollable factors, so he ended up proposing in the parking lot as we were leaving Disney World.

• Options
    9 years exactly.

He designed my ring so I knew it was coming. We both wanted the ring to be a surprise but i had a general idea of what it would look like. We went on our annual anniversary ski trip and he proposed in the middle of a snowy forest while we were snowshoeing. It was at sunset with no one else around, and it was awesome.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Just over 10 years - a few months after his sister got engaged and I told him not to get any bright ideas because I'd been down this road already and wasn't interested in doing it again. Oops!

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    It took him 5 1/2 years and it was a COMPLETE shock to me! We had discussed marriage at times but I knew he wouldn't propose until after I got out of grad school. I am glad he waited that long, it truly gave us a chance to get to know EVERYTHING about each other and that is my greatest piece of advice. I would never marry someone unless I knew everything about them, and that takes time to do.
  • Options
    We'd been together 5 years, but long distance for four. We wanted to finish school before we settled down and married. 
  • Options
    We had started talking and planning our wedding for the following year and that was 9 months into our relationship, he officially proposed on our 1 year anniversary and we ended up getting married 3 months later
  • Options
    2 1/2 years.
  • Options
    6.5 years (we've known each other for 11 years)
  • Options
    5 months.

We knew from the first date that we were meant to spend the rest if our lives together.
  • Options
    Just about 4.5 years.  We had a very serious marriage discussion about 6 months before he proposed, and I had to get sized since I never wear rings, so it wasn't a total surprise.  We planned a trip to San Diego together so I had a pretty good hunch that would be the time, but I didn't know exactly where/when.  He ended up proposing at Sunset Cliffs while we -- what else? -- watched the sunset. :)
  • Options
    3.5 years. We moved in with each other after 1 year dating. I feel we have grown together and before he proposed, I felt married to him in my heart. I was completely shocked and caught off guard by his proposal though!
  • Options
    My fiance and I were high school sweethearts and had been dating over 5 years, best friends throughout high school and started dating our senior year. We've known eachother since we were 5! He says he always knew I was the one and was just waiting for me to figure it out. I was totally surprised when he finally proposed. Even though we had talked about it for a few years, he waited until I finished college and proposed November 24, 2013 and we are getting married December 27, 2014. He had my ring custom made with the same jeweler who made all of his maternal biological grandmother's, who passed away when he was a baby, his now 'grandma' and also made my promise ring.

• Options
    We have a funny story ...

We graduated from the same small town of 1,300 people.  He married an old family friend's daughter, and they had 2 kids, but divorced after 7 or so years of marriage.  We became Facebook 'friends' in 2009.  In 2010 he asked me on a date, but I'd just started dating someone, so I thanked him but said no.

We started talking again, casually, in late 2012.  We finally decided to meet and go on a 'friend' date on February 19, 2013.  After that we were officially dating.  He proposed after less than a year on January 16, 2014.

He had me fooled... he led me to believe we were no where near engagement, then out of nowhere, he popped the question.  It was simple, low key, and perfect, even though we had our own little laughs :)
  • Options
    My fiance actually asked me to marry his three times; the first time, we were 20, and we'd only been dating two months. The second time, we'd split up, got my ex-girlfriend pregnant, split up with her and came running back again. I said no to the marriage, but took him back anyway. He asked me again 2 1/2 years ago, and the only reason I refused that time is because I was being superstitious, and since my parents got engaged when they were 25, and so were we, I said no. I asked him, however, last April, five years after we'd last split up, and we'd been together 7 years in total. He said yes. We both have engagement rings! We're getting married April 2015.
  • Options
    I'm asking my girlfriend to marry me on February 15th. We'll have been together 3 years and 5 months this time around, and will have a total and 5 years together (taking into account when we dated in our late teens). If she doesn't say yes I'll die; we've been discussing it for a little while and I've been talking about it non-stop to all my family AND her family AND on this website for about a month.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AnotherVioletAnotherViolet member
    First Comment
    edited February 2014
    7 months in a long distance relationship before he proposed. :) 

• Options
    After 5 years, and 4 years of living together
  • Options
    One year - 7 months of which he'd been deployed.  The time apart really did bring us much closer together.  :)

• Options
    Exactly 4 years. I was suspicious it was coming because he was making all these plans for our anniversary dinner which was unusual for him. He gave me a big anniversary present early to throw off my suspicions, which worked, so I was completely surprised when he did propose on our anniversary.

Anniversary
  • Options

Not engaged yet but love reading your stories!! Maybe Im a bit emotional today becaus its Val's day or something, but everyones special stories have me chocked up today!

Ive been with my soon to be FI for 3 years. We went ring shopping 3 weeks ago. I picked a ring. I know he has it or is in the process of getting. We are doing an overnight trip to Atlantic City this weekend and going to out to dinner at our FAV restuarant there that is kinda fancy. He said to me last night that maybe our year will turn around in AC (weve had a crappy 2014 that started with my cat dying). So FINGERS CROSSED and nails did ;)

• Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2014

@LadyMorvenMacbeth- GOOD LUCK!! She WILL say yes :)

• Options
    @LadyMorvenMacbeth - Good luck!! Please tell us all about it when you get the chance!

And no worries! She'll say yes!
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    4 years. We were high school sweethearts and he popped the question on our anniversary in the classroom where we met.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards