Wedding Etiquette Forum

Family Feud, and the baby isn't even here yet

It's amazing that I made it through planning my own wedding not so long ago and never once had to post a question. Here goes...

My husband was asked a few weeks ago to be his cousin's best man (they are the closest either one has to a brother). Hubby said he'd love to, and although it might be tough for me to travel to the opposite coast with our on-the-way son (he'll be ~6 months at the time of the wedding), we'd make it work. Groom responded he hoped we could all make it and that they looked forward to meeting and visiting with the baby. 

Fast forward a week or two, and we get an email mentioning their "no kids" policy for the wedding. Yup, applies to our "kid" too, so you can imagine our shock. I get it, we had an adult reception, but made a couple exceptions for close family who were traveling from out of state and/or in the wedding. It wasn't a big deal. The fact is, I can't leave a still-nursing 6-month-old to travel 2,700 miles for 3+ days. So essentially, the groom is excluding his best man's wife (me) from going to the wedding. This guy was also the best man in our wedding, so it's more than a little hurtful that he can't make this accommodation. To add insult to injury, we just learned that they ARE making a kid exception for someone in the bride's family (and no, the kid isn't in the wedding).

The worst part is, my husband is in a horrible position because he's caught in the middle. He doesn't want to jeopardize his relationship with his cousin, but also doesn't think it's okay to leave baby and wife behind. It's causing us a tremendous amount of stress, and we just don't know where to go from here. Input anyone?

Re: Family Feud, and the baby isn't even here yet

• Unfortunately, your husband can't demand that your baby be invited as a condition of his being a best man.

I recognize that it's hard or impossible for you to leave your baby alone.  But, the cousin and his FI had every right to plan an adults-only event, and their plans may just not permit "accommodation."  They didn't make the plans with the intention of screwing you over, so I wouldn't take that attitude here.

Instead, I would compromise by letting your husband act as best man and attend the wedding by himself.  If the cousin and his FI don't want to invite babies, then yes, I think they forfeit the right to expect you to make yourself and the baby available for their entertainment.  But I think that trying to get your husband to boycott the wedding on your behalf and the baby's will drive a wedge between him and his cousin that he will resent you for.  This isn't a hill I would die on.
  • PineapplePamPineapplePam member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2014
    I get that it's their right to have the wedding the desire. But it's a real slap in the face when they DO make an exception for someone else.

I should also note that we made an exception for the bride-to-be to attend our wedding, which otherwise included only engaged/married couples, which they weren't at the time.

I also NEVER said anything about "getting my husband to boycott the wedding", so please don't put words in my mouth. He has suggested stepping down from the role, which I haven't supported in any way.
  • It's amazing that I made it through planning my own wedding not so long ago and never once had to post a question. Here goes...

My husband was asked a few weeks ago to be his cousin's best man (they are the closest either one has to a brother). Hubby said he'd love to, and although it might be tough for me to travel to the opposite coast with our on-the-way son (he'll be ~6 months at the time of the wedding), we'd make it work. Groom responded he hoped we could all make it and that they looked forward to meeting and visiting with the baby. 

Fast forward a week or two, and we get an email mentioning their "no kids" policy for the wedding. Yup, applies to our "kid" too, so you can imagine our shock. I get it, we had an adult reception, but made a couple exceptions for close family who were traveling from out of state and/or in the wedding. It wasn't a big deal. The fact is, I can't leave a still-nursing 6-month-old to travel 2,700 miles for 3+ days. So essentially, the groom is excluding his best man's wife (me) from going to the wedding. This guy was also the best man in our wedding, so it's more than a little hurtful that he can't make this accommodation. To add insult to injury, we just learned that they ARE making a kid exception for someone in the bride's family (and no, the kid isn't in the wedding).

The worst part is, my husband is in a horrible position because he's caught in the middle. He doesn't want to jeopardize his relationship with his cousin, but also doesn't think it's okay to leave baby and wife behind. It's causing us a tremendous amount of stress, and we just don't know where to go from here. Input anyone?

This does suck. And sending an email saying "no -kids' was rude on the cousins part.

But it is perfectly acceptable to have a kid-free wedding. You may not like it, but you dont really get a say. If your H declines to attend, maybe the cousin will respond to the no kids policy and make an exception for your baby. But I wouldnt count on it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. Did he directly tell you that "no kids" included yours? Or was it a group email?

2. He is perfectly within etiquette to have a kids-free wedding or invite some and not others. He shouldn't have made any sort of announcement though (except word of mouth). Usually it's recommended to invite kids in circles (kids in BP, family only, OOT only, etc.), but not mandatory,

• The fact is, I can't leave a still-nursing 6-month-old to travel 2,700 miles for 3+ days. So essentially, the groom is excluding his best man's wife (me) from going to the wedding.

Stuck in a box
    Have you mentioned this to the cousin? It is possible that they may not realize the difficulties you will have travelling with or leaving behind a baby. Or, would the cousin be able to help you arrange child care on site? That way, baby is not at the reception, but close by so you can duck out to nurse/check that everything is going ok with the sitter.
    Congrats on the baby!

Anniversary
  • Not ridiculous or uncommon in any way. Shame on you for judging.
  • I get that it's their right to have the wedding the desire. But it's a real slap in the face when they DO make an exception for someone else.

I should also note that we made an exception for the bride-to-be to attend our wedding, which otherwise included only engaged/married couples, which they weren't at the time.

I also NEVER said anything about "getting my husband to boycott the wedding", so please don't put words in my mouth. He has suggested stepping down from the role, which I haven't supported in any way.
    I know it's already happened, but just had the etiquette-itch to mention that ALL SOs should've been invited, regardless of status.
  • BMoreBride6BMoreBride6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I get that it's their right to have the wedding the desire. But it's a real slap in the face when they DO make an exception for someone else.

There's a couple things here...I think it is perfectly acceptable for your husband to have a conversation with the groom explaining that while he would very much like to be there, he may not be able to make it under circumstances of the baby.  On the other side, it is perfectly acceptable of the bride and groom not to extend the invite to the baby.  It may suck, but it is the truth.  

And to the bolded, no you did not actually do them any favors by inviting her when they weren't engaged.  It was wrong of you not to extend invites to all SO's of guests so you are in the wrong there.  

edited typo.
  • We certainly have tried to talk to them about how this sticks both of us (husband isn't comfortable leaving baby any more than I am).
  • Only you two can make this choice.

I get that it seems unfair that they're making an exception but not for you. Unfortunately, that's something they get to do and shouldn't have shared.

Don't make this into something bigger. You two need to decide if you're comfortable finding a sitter across the country or if you and the baby should stay home. You have options here but forcing a family feud should NOT be on the list.
  • I get that it's their right to have the wedding the desire. But it's a real slap in the face when they DO make an exception for someone else.

Look, they are not preventing you from attending the wedding.  Not every Mother breastfeeds so they may not know that you will be doing so.  Even so, they still do not need to include your child. I realize that you are pissed that they are not making an exception when you made exceptions for your wedding, but they don't have to make an exception for you.  You need to get over it.  Your FI should not drop out of the wedding over this.  Tell him to go and have a good time while you stay at home.  Think of the money you will save in travel costs.

As for the bolded.  I realize that your wedding is over with but I really can't believe that you only invited couples who were engaged or married.  That was a nice way of telling those couples without a ring that their relationship wasn't nearly as important or serious as those with rings to constitute an invite with their SO.  Maybe you should have asked a question or two when planning your wedding.

• I'm going to consider that we were just raised differently and have different backgrounds of what is right and wrong here and disagree. 
  • LOL you're really stuck on this one. Get left off an invite once and still sore over it? Get over it, that's not even the issue of the OP.

Oh you made an exception?

I'm sorry but she should have been invited all along. Cutting off your SOs at engaged or married only is extremely rude. If you only invited half of an established couple to your wedding you should be apologizing to them for the egregious offense.
  • We were also told initially that baby was welcome...
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014

I agree with PP- you lose all the "slap in the face" credibility when you did this. How very hurtful and nasty! Who are you to judge the seriousness of other people's relationships? One is required to invite all SOs to a wedding (and the definition is if they consider themselves in a relationship). 

Your behaviour was a big slap in the face to unmarried/ non engaged couples that you didn't deem worthy of an invite to your wedding. 

Part of the decision to have children includes that they will not be invited everywhere meaning that you will be unable to attend. And yes, this means that you will have to miss out on certain fun events. Yes, sometimes it isn't fun (and may not seem fair in your eyes). But that is the reality of parenting young children and you just have to accept it. 
  • We certainly have tried to talk to them about how this sticks both of us (husband isn't comfortable leaving baby any more than I am).

Then that's all you can do. Now if you want to go, go. If you don't, don't. But don't be all butt-hurt about it.
  • LOL you're really stuck on this one. Get left off an invite once and still sore over it? Get over it, that's not even the issue of the OP.
    Well, the issue is you're getting upset over something that does not break etiquette, while admitting you think you deserve special treatment because you made an exception on something you did that was against etiquette.

It sucks that the baby isn't invited to the wedding. It is not worth starting a family feud over.

Anniversary
  • Whew, hostile!
  • And I think I've said repeatedly that I don't support him dropping out, he's the one considering on a purely personal level. As stated in my original post, I feel badly that my husband is in this position, but he feels stuck regardless of what I say.
  • I'm going to consider that we were just raised differently and have different backgrounds of what is right and wrong here and disagree. 

Let's not go there. I guarantee you that the person excluding established couple's isn't going to come out smelling like anything but week old Valentine's Day flowers.

Your wedding guest list plan WAS against etiquette. This isn't a debatable or an "agree to disagree" topic.

In your current situation, the couple isn't doing anything wrong and you are completely ignoring the option of attending the wedding with your husband and finding a sitter near the wedding.
  • PineapplePamPineapplePam member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2014
    I'm really not suggesting that about unmarried couples. A couple posters decided to take that one and run with it rather than read the OP and consider the actual issues. The reality is, our guestlist started with people who were either single or engaged/married, so it's not like we were excluding SOs left and right. Obviously people who have been in a relationship for 2 years or more is very different from someone who went on their first date last week.

I suppose I'll repost later under some other pseudonym, and hope that people actually focus on the question rather than nitpick details just to let out their pent up aggression.

So glad I never did come on here when i was planning. There is some real hostility!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards