Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Bridal Gloves?

I am thinking of purchasing some gloves to wear on the big day, but it seems like no one does this anymore. Maybe I'm just really old fashioned? Anyway, what are your thoughts on bridal gloves? Anyone planning on wearing them? Do you think they'd go well with my dress?

I know lacey fingerless ones would probably go better with my dress, but I really like the traditional like this:

Anyway, I'd really like to hear your opinions! I just don't want to look back on my wedding pictures a couple years from now and shudder because of the gloves. If a lot of people don't like them, then I probably won't after the fact either, lol.

Re: Bridal Gloves?

• Options
    Gloves aren't my style, and I don't think those ones match your dress. But if you like them, go for it!
  • Options

Gloves aren't my thing. I think it depends on your final look. I think the gloves add a touch of old fashion high style (if that makes sense). If you go for a more finished updo (think Audrey Heburn) I think the gloves would look great to finish off the look Bascially going for a princess look. But if you are thinking leaving your hair down or a loose updo, I don't think gloves would work.

If you can afford it, get the gloves, you can put them on, look in the mirror with your finished look & if you don't like it, you can always ditch them at the last minute.

• Options
    I'm not a fan of them.  I think they take away from the dress.  I also would say try them on with your dress and see if you like the look.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Your dress is gorgeous but those gloves do not go with it at all.  I think if you wanted to wear gloves then you would need to wear shorter and softer gloves (maybe short lace one's).  

But IMO, I am not a fan of gloves unless you are wearing a full satin ballgown with little to no beading or embellishment and your hair is in a tight updo/bun.

• Options
    Thanks so much for the opinions! Looks like I was right when I expected that a lot of people wouldn't really care for the gloves, lol. I found some pretty cheap ones on Amazon so I may just try them on with my dress and see how it looks. If I don't like them (which will probably be the case), I'll just give them to my niece to play dress up. Thanks everyone! :)
  • Options
    The biggest problem with wearing gloves to your wedding is the ring ceremony.  How does he get the ring on you?  Usually, the seam of the ring finger is opened to allow your finger to be available  for the ceremony, but with synthetic stretch gloves like these, that won't work as well as the old fashioned cotton or kidskin gloves.
    You may not eat in gloves.  They must be removed for eating at the reception.
    I know modern girls like to laugh at the old fashioned 1970's wedding dresses with long sleeves, but you didn't need to wear gloves with those dresses, and they were a lot more comfortable than today's corseted or mermaid fashions.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I wore these:

But I think the long white satin gloves look kind of tacky and dated. And yes, rings/eating are impossible in them, which is why I went with fingerless. And I say this as someone who wore long silver satin gloves to prom.
  • Options
    Sorry but those lace ones just scream Madonna "Like a virgin" lol

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I'm carrying my grandmother's gloves that she wore for her wedding wrapped around my bouquet. If you really like the idea of having gloves as a dress accessory maybe you could do something like that? I agree that the shiny satin elbow length gloves do not go with your dress (which is gorgeous btw!). The only time I wore gloves like that was with a ballgown for cotillion in middle school. I think you definitely need shorter gloves in a softer material.

• Options
    Think about how you'll feel in 10 years when you look at the photos.  If you're trying to be trendy or unique, it may come off as dated/gimmick-y in photos down the road.  I'd go with something timeless.  How about a pretty bracelet?
  • Options
    sder0320 said:
    I am thinking of purchasing some gloves to wear on the big day, but it seems like no one does this anymore. Maybe I'm just really old fashioned? Anyway, what are your thoughts on bridal gloves? Anyone planning on wearing them? Do you think they'd go well with my dress?

I know lacey fingerless ones would probably go better with my dress, but I really like the traditional like this:

Anyway, I'd really like to hear your opinions! I just don't want to look back on my wedding pictures a couple years from now and shudder because of the gloves. If a lot of people don't like them, then I probably won't after the fact either, lol.
    I wear day gloves quite often, but would never wear them for my wedding. 

From your dress, I wouldn't go with gloves at all. I feel like gloves, if worn on a gown, should be worn with a plain ball gown. I've never seen gloves on someone with a sleeveless patterned or textured dress that looked good. Also, I think any gloves without proper sizing are shady and you should stay away from them.
    @shrekspeare i am intrigued by this - please tell me more

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • Options
    Hey, your dress is gorgeous! I've thought about this concept a lot. I have larger biceps and triceps from weight training, but I don't want to wear a jacket/ bolero to make my arms seem slimmer. I decided on opera length, fingerless gloves. I am also wearing a Cinderella sized ball gown (not plain, but still). You can see in the picture: http://images.lover.ly/thumbnails_390/90418_strapless-tulle-ball-gown-with-beaded-satin-bodice-style-ai10011466-1391047293-915.jpg  

Any dress that is strapless can be worn with gloves, wrap or jacket. If you would love to have gloves, go for it. I am partial to fingerless gloves (no worrying about putting on the ring and whatnot).  You can definitely wear gloves with your dress. 

My suggestion is a smaller glove that's lacy because your dress is more soft and flowy. You could do lace appliques, but I don't think they'd go as well. Here's my suggestion (or something along those lines):
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/26/af/78/26af7874d17c221fb8735e2ee60b86f9.jpg

Good luck!
  • Options
    wow that dress is amazing. I like short gloves with a tea length dress, for example, but I don't think your dress needs any.
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    The biggest problem with wearing gloves to your wedding is the ring ceremony.  How does he get the ring on you?  Usually, the seam of the ring finger is opened to allow your finger to be available  for the ceremony, but with synthetic stretch gloves like these, that won't work as well as the old fashioned cotton or kidskin gloves.
    I know modern girls like to laugh at the old fashioned 1970's wedding dresses with long sleeves, but you didn't need to wear gloves with those dresses, and they were a lot more comfortable than today's corseted or mermaid fashions.
    You sure like to assume a lot don't you?  I love long sleeved lace dresses.  I think they are gorgeous and elegant (absolutely loved the Duchesses dress). And unless you have actually worn a corset or mermaid dress you really can't comment on the comfort of them.  I have worn both and when they are correctly altered I found them to be just as comfortable as any formal gown that one may wear.

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    CMGragain said:
    I like long sleeve wedding dresses, just not for me as I would be a sweaty mess.  I don't like poofy sleeves, though, or high necklines.  I can't even wear some t-shirts because I feel like I'm being choked or something when the material touches my neck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards