Snarky Brides

Vent: someone else's party

2»

Re: Vent: someone else's party

• abbyj700 said:
    Wow, I love how weirded out everyone is getting by the sex toy party. Shit - I've gone to two with FI's Aunt. We giggled and laughed and had a good time. We both ended up ordering and know a few of the things the other person ordered. I hosted one at my house last year - yes everyone ordered privately but some people discussed what they got. I could care less if some people know we're adventurous in the bedroom. 
    Different strokes for different folks... pun intended! ;-) 

• I certainly don't mind sex toys. Not at all. Sex toy parties are probably fine, too WITH the right people. It isn't something I would just attend with anyone.
  • I think it's more a matter of having the sex-toy aspect sprung on them after RSVP'ing for the event, and also having the event be full of people OP doesn't really know well.

I don't object to sex-toy parties, but it's a know-your-crowd kind of thing. I wouldn't go to one with DH's co-workers, for example, even the co-worker who invited us to her wedding.

I think there are different levels of social intimacy and being invited to someone's wedding doesn't mean you're friendly enough with them to attend a sex-toy party.

I'm also always, always, ALWAYS opposed to baiting-and-switching, when parts of the party aren't announced until after people have committed.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • abbyj700abbyj700 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Completely agree @HisGirlFriday. The bait and switch is not acceptable. And most people have more of a filter and social intimacy comfort zone that is much smaller than mine. I'm HIGHLY aware of that. I'm completely comfortable being at a sex toy party with just about anyone but by no means think that that is how everyone is.

Edited to add that I also don't get the bachelorette or showers I've seen people talk about on here where they sell ANYTHING. From sex toys to Pampered Chef - I find this totally odd and inappropriate. 
  • abbyj700 said:
    Completely agree @HisGirlFriday. The bait and switch is not acceptable. And most people have more of a filter and social intimacy comfort zone that is much smaller than mine. I'm HIGHLY aware of that. I'm completely comfortable being at a sex toy party with just about anyone but by no means think that that is how everyone is.
    You wanna go to a weekend at the beach? Fiddy dolla. ;)

• abbyj700 said:

Edited to add that I also don't get the bachelorette or showers I've seen people talk about on here where they sell ANYTHING. From sex toys to Pampered Chef - I find this totally odd and inappropriate. 
    Totally agree about the bait and switch.

I tend to avoid sex toy parties for the simple reason that I have very limited tolerance for the entirely bizarre atmosphere usually created at them. I really can't be doing with the faux squealing of excitement over tacky synthetic outfits and random stuff you stick up your clunge.

But then I've little time for any direct selling opportunity disguised as a party. Let alone a bachelorette party.  
  • abbyj700 said:

So much of THIS, @abbyj700 and @pandemonia. So... along with the bait & switch, I am encouraged to "buy the bride a gift" from this pile of crap, while the "independent businesswoman" is making 50% profit?? How about as YOUR gift, madame profiteering bridesmaid, you forfeit your profit and just let "your guests" shop at cost for the bride, if you really must have this dog and pony show in the first place? Because yes, same person/bridesmaid/hostess-with-the-leastest who is likely profiting off all the rental fees once they cram everyone into that house, is also the salesperson making commission off all this nonsense she's told people to buy. It's all SO wrong.

• So, I didn't read through everything here and maybe someone has already mentioned this, but exactly how does one write a thank you card for sex toys?

"The dildo you bought me is FANTASTIC!"

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm still stuck on the whole "weekend in early May" thing. Most of Michigan had a snow/ice storm this morning. Spring is going to come very late this year. 

If the beach weekend is in northern Michigan, you might still be in sweaters, not swimsuits. ;) What a crappy time of year for a beach weekend. I kind of feel bad for them, but not really.
  • Lolo8383 said:
    abbyj700 said:

So much of THIS, @abbyj700 and @pandemonia. So... along with the bait & switch, I am encouraged to "buy the bride a gift" from this pile of crap, while the "independent businesswoman" is making 50% profit?? How about as YOUR gift, madame profiteering bridesmaid, you forfeit your profit and just let "your guests" shop at cost for the bride, if you really must have this dog and pony show in the first place? Because yes, same person/bridesmaid/hostess-with-the-leastest who is likely profiting off all the rental fees once they cram everyone into that house, is also the salesperson making commission off all this nonsense she's told people to buy. It's all SO wrong.
    My two sisters did Pampered Chef registries.  And the way it worked is my mom held a "party" (not an actual party but Pampered Chef still calls it a party) and anyone who wanted to could email my mom and ask what was on the list of things my sister wanted so they could purchase it and it was all purchased through my mom's consultant.  (My sisters both included registry cards in their invitations with the Pampered Chef "registry" information.  Pampered Chef doesn't have an official registry option on their site.)

Even though it was technically my mom's "party," my mom gave all the free stuff she received to my sister. I think that's fine, but that is an option.  There's still other registries people could choose. There was no actual party at someone's house so there was no bait and switch.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Many years ago, my sister foolishly married a drug dealer.  They had a church wedding followed by cake and punch for the older relatives, and then a drug fest after party was held in the newlywed's basement.  I declined the after party.  I was pressured by older family members, who were naive, and did not understand that the party was, in fact, a drug orgy.  I didn't offer excuses.  I just said,"I'm not going."  No regrets.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Those sex toy parties can be pretty fun, but not to buy for someone else. WTF.

How awkward. I'd rather just have a new mixing bowl.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I agree with @HisGirlFriday13. I went to a similar party in Vegas. Had to pay so much, had to pay for tickets to chip and dales and a pole dancing class (not what I'm into at all!) they all insisted on taking a limo everywhere. We went out clubbing all night (till 4am) it was such a waste of money for me. Im not a club goer and I was miserable the whole weekend. Sorry went on a tangent. I wouldn't go stepsister or not. Thats weird buying the bride sex toys. I have a friend who i could do that for but thats cuz were weirdoes i couldn't see myself doing it for anyone else. 
  • Lolo8383 said:
    abbyj700 said:

My two sisters did Pampered Chef registries.  And the way it worked is my mom held a "party" (not an actual party but Pampered Chef still calls it a party) and anyone who wanted to could email my mom and ask what was on the list of things my sister wanted so they could purchase it and it was all purchased through my mom's consultant.  (My sisters both included registry cards in their invitations with the Pampered Chef "registry" information.  Pampered Chef doesn't have an official registry option on their site.)

Even though it was technically my mom's "party," my mom gave all the free stuff she received to my sister. I think that's fine, but that is an option.  There's still other registries people could choose. There was no actual party at someone's house so there was no bait and switch.
    I would still hate this because I hate Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, or anything where I have to buy through someone. I hate feeling pressured to buy and going to stupid "parties". If that was the only option I would buy off registry. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards