Chit Chat

Do we need libraries anymore?

12346»

Re: Do we need libraries anymore?

• lyndausvi said:
    The original post is so ill thought, so self involved, so obtuse, that I am actually embarrassed for the poster. The free public library is one of the greatest achievements and inventions in the history of the United States. Knowledge and information should be available to all people, regardless of income. If you had asked, your local librarian could have pointed you to many sources of information about how libraries serve and enhance and revitalize their communities. (It would involve reading, which is much, much more than "a hobby," probably involves written matter not on display at Barnes and Noble, and would have spared you the need to appeal to an Internet forum to "enlighten you.")
    You do know that libraries were not invented in the US. The Roams had them to preserve their scorlls. The forst modern librabry was in Florence Italy.
    aleighc3 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    aleighc3 said:
    ok, but there are no "no reading the books" signs anywhere....
    I feel like it's another example of people taking advantage of certain situations.   Like the person who buys one coffee and then sits at the coffee shop for 8 hours for the free WiFi.  Too many people start doing it and they started taking away the "benefit".  Once in a while is one thing, when people do it all the time it can become a problem.
    ok, so next time you are in there, ask the manager why there are so many chairs and tables.....if they didn't want people to read, they would not put a place for people sit down and do that. If it was theft and if b&n thought of it as theft the police would be there all day every day...
    They want you to come in and read your Nook. You get all sort of free stuff to read with your Nook in an B&N store. Most stores with chairs and couches have a Nook corner.
     product that was purchased through B&N.  So you are not sitting there for free, you (or someone else) purchased a product from them.

That is a little different than suggesting people use B&N as a library with no intentions of purchasing any of their products.
    I know that. She asked why there were chairs and tables at B&N and I was just answering her question. My friend is a manager at one store, so I asked him the same question. I never called her out for having no morals, stealing or anything like that.
  • aleighc3 said:
    Try it, see if anyone stops you...no one will! Unless the "moral" police come a knockin'...

Why are you so opposed to paying for a book, from a book store, that an author worked very hard on? Even if you're not stealing from B&N, don't you think it's unfair to the author to sit there in the store, read their book without buying it (so they don't get royalties) and then perhaps damage it so that another customer won't buy it? 

If you can't feel for the chain store, feel for the artist who is trying to make a living as a writer. It's no easy feat. 
  • Kind of want to hijack this thread and ask if anyone used/considered using a library as their wedding venue...b/c I definitely did.  If there was a library in my area that would hold a wedding, I'd be on that like a fat kid on cake.  It might be kind of trendy now, but I think it'd be beautiful!

More to the point of the thread, I obviously love libraries.  My only qualm with the ones in my area is that they never have any current fiction, and when they do, you have to get on a mile-long waiting list to get the book you want.  That's the main reason I usually end up ordering books on amazon.  A lot cheaper than one of the chain bookstores, and with Prime I can get them in a day or 2.

• Kind of want to hijack this thread and ask if anyone used/considered using a library as their wedding venue...b/c I definitely did.  If there was a library in my area that would hold a wedding, I'd be on that like a fat kid on cake.  It might be kind of trendy now, but I think it'd be beautiful!

More to the point of the thread, I obviously love libraries.  My only qualm with the ones in my area is that they never have any current fiction, and when they do, you have to get on a mile-long waiting list to get the book you want.  That's the main reason I usually end up ordering books on amazon.  A lot cheaper than one of the chain bookstores, and with Prime I can get them in a day or 2.

@jimandpam87 - H and I actually looked into the Peabody Library in Baltimore, MD as a possible venue more then 3 years ago. It was gorgeous but just not what we ended up wanting for our wedding.

Actually the first wedding we had planned was in a library. FI and I met in a library so we thought it would it be sweet.

I wanted to get married at the Boston Public Library but I couldn't work out the details. It was just so pricey and the wait list was too long. I didn't want to wait that long to get married. But it's still my favorite place in Boston. Maybe we can take first look pics there.

I would have loved to have done that and there's a few gorgeous ones in my area that I looked into that do that but they were all insanely expensive, $2k+ in rental fees, nothing included. C'est la vie. That's pretty much the starting rate for anything cool here. 

I would have loved to have done that and there's a few gorgeous ones in my area that I looked into that do that but they were all insanely expensive, $2k+ in rental fees, nothing included. C'est la vie. That's pretty much the starting rate for anything cool here. 
    Ugh, the rental fees here in Baltimore are insanely expensive. H and I also looked into the Walters Art Gallery and the rental fee was $5K (and that was 3 years ago) for just the space. Needless to say that venue got cut quick.

• Admittedly I used more online journal articles for my papers for my bachelor's and master's degrees, but I love the shit out of the library!  I don't have the space to buy and store books, plus I don't want to buy something I may not want to read again.  Reading textbooks for all those years kind of shattered my attention span for reading, but I just switched to listening to them on CD in the car.  I've checked out e-books for my Kindle from the library, and done audiobooks onto my iPhone so I could listen to them there.  I love how the library has kept up with technology so that I have all of these options to check out my favorite authors.

• There are several libraries in the Twin Cities metro area that are available to rent for weddings - the James J Hill reference library

The Stillwater Public Library

Wedding Black & White, Sepia

We considered using the library in my hometown -- a gorgeous Victorian-era house that was converted to the library; it has this BEAUTIFUL rotunda area -- but it ended up being too small (only 100 people, max, with no dance floor, and food in another room), impractical (no kitchen area or way to keep the food hot, other than chafing dishes), and restrictive (no alcohol or DJ).

But DH and I are both huge, huge, HUGE readers/bibliophiles/library lovers, so it was a top choice for us until we realised we'd be prioritising the venue over our guests and their comfort.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @debmonn A cart catalogue! That is too cool. I haven't seen one since I was a small child. I LOVE that you had your engagement photos taken there. Very cool. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards