Wedding Reception Forum

The dreaded "gap"

Re: The dreaded "gap"

• afrye88 said:
    We are having a "gap" of sorts with ours without leaving guests to figure out what to do.  Our location has an event on the roof at 5 so they need us off the roof by 4:30.  The way we have it set up is we will do a cocktail hour from 3 to 4 on the roof.  Dinner is in the same location just downstairs in another room.  So at 4 our guests will head down to the reception room but dinner won't be served until about 5:30.  Our dinner won't be ridiculously early  this way and guests won't have to figure out what to do for a couple hours.
    What are they supposed to do for that hour and a half? Stand around and pick their noses?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • It was always sort of my understanding (as I gather is generally accepted here) that the cocktail hour should start right after the ceremony. But two of the last three weddings I went to have had a gap between them (and the only one that didn't was one were the ceremony and the reception were at the same place).

Now that I'm planning my own wedding, I find the gap seems almost inevitable, and -- for some guests -- maybe even helpful. Am I crazy? Is there a better solution here?

The problem is that we go to a Catholic church that has a 4 p.m. mass on Saturdays. Which means our wedding needs to end early enough for them to get everything back to normal by 4 p.m. It's an hour-plus ceremony, so we're thinking start at 2 p.m., done by 3:15 or 3:30. The reception venue is maybe 15-20 minutes away. If we didn't have a gap, we'd be serving dinner by 4:45 and kicking people out at 9 p.m.

On top of that, the hotel where the reception is (and where most of our guests will be staying) doesn't allow check-in until 4 p.m. So guests driving in that day won't be able to check in until AFTER the ceremony. Is it crazy/rude to plan a gap between the ceremony and the reception to push dinner back to a reasonable time and allow guests to settle in to their rooms?  I think what we're leaning toward is having the ceremony end around 3:15 p.m. and having the cocktail hour start at 4:30 p.m.
    Yep, you are crazy!

As a guest, and especially as an OOT guest, I hate gaps.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    afrye88 said:
    We are having a "gap" of sorts with ours without leaving guests to figure out what to do.  Our location has an event on the roof at 5 so they need us off the roof by 4:30.  The way we have it set up is we will do a cocktail hour from 3 to 4 on the roof.  Dinner is in the same location just downstairs in another room.  So at 4 our guests will head down to the reception room but dinner won't be served until about 5:30.  Our dinner won't be ridiculously early  this way and guests won't have to figure out what to do for a couple hours.
    What are they supposed to do for that hour and a half? Stand around and pick their noses?
    THIS. If I were to be shuffled into another room after cocktail hour with nothing happening for an hour and a half I'd be very, very annoyed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    afrye88 said:
    mobkaz said:
    The bottom line is that NO guest should have to "know" what to do with themselves.  They are attending a wedding and should only need to be concerned with a continuous flow of wedding related events!
    I don't agree with a gap.  But it is her day and regardless of what people say we are just giving suggestions.  She said a couple times that she feels it is inevitable.  If she truly feels this way nothing you say will change this fact.  Personally I would rather have suggestions then to just sit around for 2 hours waiting for the reception to start.  
    Sorry, it's not her day but the day of everyone present, and that is why wasting the time of guests with gaps where there is nothing for them to do but sit around and wait for the reception to start is rude.  It's not up to us to condone rudeness and that's why we don't.  There may still be time for the OP to change her mind, and if we can get her to do so, it's in everyone's best interest to prevent rudeness.

We are saying this not just for the OP but for everyone else who might read this thread.  Gaps are rude regardless of what the OP chooses to do.  Any "she didn't ask you" or "I'm going to do whatever I want because it's my day" has no place here in this forum.
  • Jen4948 said:
    afrye88 said:
    mobkaz said:
    The bottom line is that NO guest should have to "know" what to do with themselves.  They are attending a wedding and should only need to be concerned with a continuous flow of wedding related events!
    I don't agree with a gap.  But it is her day and regardless of what people say we are just giving suggestions.  She said a couple times that she feels it is inevitable.  If she truly feels this way nothing you say will change this fact.  Personally I would rather have suggestions then to just sit around for 2 hours waiting for the reception to start.  
    Sorry, it's not her day but the day of everyone present, and that is why wasting the time of guests with gaps where there is nothing for them to do but sit around and wait for the reception to start is rude.  It's not up to us to condone rudeness and that's why we don't.  There may still be time for the OP to change her mind, and if we can get her to do so, it's in everyone's best interest to prevent rudeness.

We are saying this not just for the OP but for everyone else who might read this thread.  Gaps are rude regardless of what the OP chooses to do.  Any "she didn't ask you" or "I'm going to do whatever I want because it's my day" has no place here in this forum.
    Note too that this poster (afrye) is not even having a gap between wedding and reception but between cocktail hour and dinner. She is already married, which makes the 'first dance' and other wedding features not things she should be doing. No one should be taking etiquette advice from her.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Wow -- I am honestly always surprised at how rude people are on here.  I don't think it's a fair judgement to say that gaps between ceremony and reception happen because of a selfish and inconsiderate bride and groom.  

I am having my Catholic mass at 4pm - 5pm and arriving at our reception at 6:30.  The ceremony and reception are about 25 minutes away. 

I think the gaps are a regional thing.  My FH is from Minnesota, and that is definitely the NORM and practically expected.  I'm from Oregon and it is not standard or "normal" for people to have a gap, let alone have two different places to be.  Probably because OR is one of the least religious states in the entire US, which would mean that many couples getting married don't even have their ceremony in a church.   As a converted Catholic, that is expected.

So -- consider your surroundings, your own beliefs and the people attending your wedding before making a completely rude assumption about why other people are choosing to do certain things.

I like the gap.  Gives me time to grab a drink and spend time with others before the fun begins.
    Sorry, no.  Your liking the gap does nothing to make it polite.  And no, no one should consider their surroundings, or their own beliefs before assuming that there are any circumstances in which gaps are acceptable is polite, because there are none. 

The only appropriate advice you've given here is to consider the guests, which is exactly why gaps are rude.  It leaves the guests stranded between the ceremony and reception with no hospitality, possibly no options for food, drink, or transportation at all, and still having to wear their wedding outfits, for several hours.  Expecting guests to endure all that just because you like a gap, want to take a lot of photos, your ceremony venue requires a daytime wedding and you want an evening reception, or for that matter, any other reason including "it's what's done around here/in our families" is unjustifiably rude.
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    tcnoble said:
    Our ceremony isn't until 6:15. Guests will be served dinner shortly after 7. I fully expect that because our guests are adults or under the care of an adult that they can prepare themselves accordingly to eat a later dinner. I don't think that's an imposition at all.
    I'm sorry, but I don't exactly see the distinction. What I hear you saying is that adults are capable of rearranging their entire meal schedule for the day to accommodate an unusual ceremony time, but aren't capable of figuring out what to do with themselves for an hour to accommodate a break before the reception, which they will know about in advance? That's crazy. Also, just 'cause I'm curious -- how on earth are you serving dinner so fast? Is your ceremony at your reception venue? Our ceremony wouldn't even be over by 7 if that was us!

Expecting guests to grab a snack later in the day is world's away from inconveniencing them with a gap that could be avoided, in my opinion. And yes, our reception is at the same location :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We went to two OOT weddings last year. Both started at 4pm and I could not find a hotel with a check in time before 4pm.

One was part of a large chain. I called ahead and they had no problem letting us check in an hour early. The other wedding only had B and B's in the area. To make it worse the wedding was at a remote winery with no parking so you had to use their shuttle and shuttles didn't start to head back until 9pm. We ended up staying at the one B and B that would make arrangements for a later ( after 10pm) check in.

There was no gap. This was just in answer to the person who said they never heard of a check in time past 1:30. I have traveled a lot and lately the most c'mon check in time is after 3
  • I've been to several that had a slight gap (30 min) that allowed for after wedding chatter with guests,  travel, parking, etc.  I've also been to a few where they may have still been setting up a bit if the ceremony and reception are in the same place, but that's what cocktail hour in a different section is for.  Many brides will start cocktail hour for guests while they are doing photos and then come in at reception hour.  I think you should contact the hotel. You shouldn't have to do anything with the bags, they should have a concierge do it, or you can have a friend/family member. 

IMO if I was heading to a wedding I would leave my stuff in the car until after reception. 

• bneumsbneums member
    First Comment
    This is definitely an issue related to catholic weddings, that Saturday afternoon mass gets you every time.  The point is, it's you're wedding, if you want an evening reception do it.  But there are various options you can set up so that your guest have other options during the gap.  See if your in-laws, or your parent's can have a suite and have the family up to their room for drinks, or see if an in-town relative would be willing to have the family over to their place during the break. 
  • I think it would be nice if your guests could check in before the ceremony so they could get cleaned up, change and what not. Could you change the date or the reception venue? A gap that small I don't think is an issue, but you can have cocktails and appetizers available as the guests arrive
  • This sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Have the ceremony end at 3:15, with the chatting that goes on afterwards and the drive to the hotel, people will arrive around 3:45-4. They can check in and come back down for a 4:30 cocktail hour. The caterer should plan on people being early for the cocktail hour, so as long as the bar is ready for them at 4/4:15, it'll be fine.
  • We didn't want the dreaded gap either for our upcoming October wedding. We are also having a catholic ceremony in Saturday and have to be out for 5pm mass. We will have a small gap from end of the 1:30 ceremony mass until reception at 4pm. Perfect for pictures.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards