Wedding Reception Forum
Options

The dreaded "gap"

Re: The dreaded "gap"

• Options
    Winter has already come.
    cforcina said:

The gap is pretty unavoidable with a Catholic ceremony, unless you want the reception to end super early. There's nothing wrong with it and people get it.

Wrong. What's wrong with the reception ending earlier in the evening??

image   image   image

• Options
    kateloniekatelonie member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    shu1050shu1050 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    The schedule for my wedding is about the same. 2 pm Catholic ceremony and 5 pm cocktail start. There will be about an hour gap in between but I am providing transportation (greyhound type buses) to the ceremony, back to the hotel, to the reception and back from the reception, so that my guests can party without worrying about driving at the end of the night. To honor my guests I'm doing a big seafood spread for my appetizers including lobster rolls and salmon tartare, in addition to normal dinner and top shelf bar for 6 hrs. Do you all think I'm rude to have a gap still even though I've been thoughtful about all my other choices?
  • Options
    We're having a Catholic wedding also and our guests will have to entertain themselves for about 2 hours and we see no problem with that. The ceremony begins at 3pm and will be about 45 minutes long and it'll take the guests at least 30 minutes to get back to the resort where the reception will be held. The cocktail hour isn't set to begin till 6pm.

Our wedding is in a big city and there is plenty for them to do during that time. We also feel our guests would prefer to have a long gap and a late reception than have a wedding that ends at 9 but that's because our guest really like to party. We don't want our guest to think "ugh, the party is over already." They know it'll be worth the wait. 

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    shu1050 said:
    The schedule for my wedding is about the same. 2 pm Catholic ceremony and 5 pm cocktail start. There will be about an hour gap in between but I am providing transportation (greyhound type buses) to the ceremony, back to the hotel, to the reception and back from the reception, so that my guests can party without worrying about driving at the end of the night. To honor my guests I'm doing a big seafood spread for my appetizers including lobster rolls and salmon tartare, in addition to normal dinner and top shelf bar for 6 hrs. Do you all think I'm rude to have a gap still even though I've been thoughtful about all my other choices?
    @shu1050 - How far away is your reception venue?

• Options
    TeriG15TeriG15 member
    First Comment
    Do what you want and need to do, if you need a gap then that's fine. IT'S YOUR WEDDING. I've been to numerous catholic weddings where a gap occurs since the ceremony is at 1-2pm and there is an evening reception, none of my family or friends have complained about this. But I do suggest giving your out of town guests a list of activities or places to visit during the gap - local shops, bars, parks, or other places unique to your town. Have fun and don't stress!!
  • Options
    cpandrcpandr member
    First Comment
    Simple solution. I went to a wedding where their was maybe a 45 minute gap in between the cocktail hour and the serving of dinner. The couple simply hired a band and we danced until the food came. The time went buy soooo fast and I had burned calories so I enjoyed two helpings of cake. Now for my wedding I also have band for cheap since I know alot of musicians  and a MC who will interact with the guest to cover any gaps. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards