Not Engaged Yet
Options

Paging @Phira

Re: Paging @Phira

• Options
    I just want to add that I agree 100% with EVERYTHING that @LivLeighton & @weewittlewizabeth have said.
  • Options
    I just want to add that I agree 100% with EVERYTHING that @LivLeighton & @weewittlewizabeth have said.
    I'm cosigning this.
  • Options
    I would be calling off the whole thing at this point. You need to think about what is best for YOU. Everyone else said what I'm thinking so I won't just say the same things to you. But seriously, why would you want to marry someone that treats you like this?

Stop all wedding planning, get to a counselor. You are not in a healthy relationship and I seriously hope you realize this.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm so late to this conversation, but I have read every last post and I think everyone has given you really sound and thoughtful advice.  I'm not going to try to give you any life changing advice regarding what you should do in the end of all of this because I know a lot less of your backstory than the ladies here.  I will say that I think what you're experiencing is valid enough reason to postpone your wedding.  I understand where your concern is about how it may alter your relationship with him and his family, but going through with a marriage you're not sure about is way more damaging.

Meanwhile, the holiday thing is a classic 'fight' among couples I believe. I always went to my FI's family gatherings and he rarely came to mine, so we have decided to do every other holiday with my family and then with his. Maybe that's a small solution for the time being, and it is 100% fair.
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Thank you everyone (and @livleighton HI! Your absence has been really noticeable, hope you're doing okay!). Lots for me to think about, and lots of therapy phone calls to make this week.

Honestly, what's been so demoralizing about all this is that I've been pretty optimistic about couple's therapy working well for us--at the very least giving us a space to talk to each other about problems we're having, where there's an audience/mediator to keep us from devolving into a fight. But the way he's been behaving lately when I've been pushing to try to solve problems we've been facing has been really disappointing.

We talked more about some family stuff tonight, and he was a lot more receptive and understanding than he has been. It just should have to take THIS much fighting and misery for us to get to that point.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    To me, when you're engaged, it means you've already figured out the family holidays and ironed out a lot of crap.  When you're planning a wedding, like I said before, it should be only reinforcing what a strong relationship you have and that you want to take it to the next level.  You should be sharing ideas about what people will wear, where you'll go for your honeymoon, etc.  You should be cherishing your engagement phase, and instead you are going through this.  I've been through a shitty engagement and been through this current engagement and it's like night and day.  When your engagement phase is spent with more fighting because you still don't have your shit together, it's time to call it off and re-evaluate.  YES, while canceling your wedding might stir up a lot of crap amongst the families and amongst you and J, and may very well be the end of your relationship, it is MUCH better to go through that than go through the motions of getting married and being miserable and getting divorced.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I don't believe I have mentioned this publicly, on here, but in many ways, I know exactly what you're going through, @phira.  When DH and I were engaged, I almost called off the wedding.  I was in the process of contacting vendors to see how much of our deposits we'd lose.  So I know how scary it can be to look down the barrel of that gun.

My reasons for wanting to call it off had nothing to do with our relationship though.  I had been recently diagnosed with PCOS and my doctor had told me that I would likely have a very difficult time conceiving a child, and that it was quite possible that I would NEVER conceive a child.  Having children has always been really important to DH.  DH would make an AMAZING father and deserves children.

So after that I sat him down and told him I didn't think we should get married because it was very possible, even likely, that I would never be able to give him something he desperately wanted, and deserved.  It was a tearful conversation, but I was 100% serious. I loved DH and thought he deserved more.  And he told me that he wasn't marrying a disease.  He was marrying a person.  And throughout the course of forever, people get sick, things happen, and there are no guarantees.  He told me he wanted to marry me because he loved me, and he'd still want to marry me even if he knew for sure that I wouldn't be able to ever have children.  He said forever, no matter what, and he meant it.

My point is that sometimes, having a very real (and raw) conversation about calling off a wedding is necessary.  Sometimes, you need to actually call it off.  But having these types of hard conversations, and going through these types of challenges, is always illuminating. They help you to identify if your partner is really a partner, and if this person is really someone you want to spend your life with.
  • Options
    phira said:

phira said:
    I wish I just knew what to do in the short term. I think my current plan is to eat leftover cupcakes and start rewatching Once Upon a Time.
    Allow me to assist you.

Step 1:  Realize that all of the women who have replied are all alike in that they are smart, caring, and have zero skin in the matter.
    Step 2:  Find the nearest pint of Ben & Jerry's and make it disappear.
    Step 3:  Go to sleep.
    Step 4:  Tomorrow, find a therapist.  Immediately.  If the Danielsen is full, contact Wendy Jolles. See if she can take you.  She is wonderful. You will thank me.
    Step 5:  Stop ALL wedding planning/conversations.
    I will definitely contact Wendy Jolles. Looks like she's super frickin conveniently located, too.

@IrishDreamer Don't worry, this is more like, "I have no fucking clue what to do with myself the rest of the night while I sit in the bedroom dicking around online and J sits in the living room probably crying because OH SO SAD."
    this is classic emotional manipulation.  I have lived through this.  thankfully, I do not live with the person that would do this anymore.  I know it's hard not to try and "fix" the problem so that you don't have to deal with the emotional manipulation, but you are not a bad person.  you have needs, too, and no grown, mature man is going to be sitting in another room crying because you're having problems.  that is, like, what H's 11 year old brother does when he doesn't get the newest iPhone and video game system for Christmas.
  • Options
    phira said:
    @loves2shop4shoes Yeah, it's really infuriating because everything turns into the same damn fight:

Me: My feelings are hurt because of this thing.
    J: Well, it wasn't my intention to hurt you and also here's what you did wrong.
    Me: Obviously your intention wasn't to hurt me, but you still did.
    J: I shouldn't have to apologize because I'm trying to explain to you how I didn't do anything wrong.
    Me: But I'm still upset so maybe you should stop trying to explain.
    J: But you have to let me explain.
    Me: But it just makes me more upset.
    J: But I shouldn't have to apologize because you hurt my feelings too.
    Me: Why didn't you tell me I hurt your feelings when I hurt your feelings?
    J: Because I know how much it upsets you, so I was trying to spare your feelings at the time.
    Me: That doesn't make any sense.
    J: Neither does me apologizing when I didn't do anything wrong.

[three hours later]

J: [sobbing] I'm sorry it's all my fault please make the fight stop

But obviously, this isn't worrisome enough that we should consider postponing the wedding and get some serious therapy.

Am I seriously the only person who thinks, "Okay yes, I will go to couple's therapy because I love you and of course I want to work on these things that make you unhappy in our relationship?"

ETA: This post brought to you by J trembling in the fetal position on the couch, listening to music on headphones, ignoring me.
    1.  actually, he does have a bit of a point here.  it doesn't MATTER that his little feelers might be hurt, you need to confront the issue in a kind, mature way as it's happening.  stop feeding the conflict; face the conflict.

2.  more emotional manipulation.  "OMG IT'S ALL MY FAULT NO MOARRRRRRR!!!  I AM A HORRIBLE WORM!!!!  OMG HOW CAN YOU EVEN LIVE WITH ME, I AM THE SUCKIEST PERSON ON THE PLANET!!!"  --- I mean, REALLY, @phira?  REALLY?  if your SO is responding in the same way that a child would, you've got some issues.  and you are the one allowing it to continue, because, OMG HIS FEELERS MIGHT GET HURT.

3.  poor J.  now he's in the fetal position?  it's got to be really bad.  let's all feel sorry for him and bring him ice cream and tell him that it's all gonna be okay, don't worry anymore!  again, he is responding to a normal, adult conflict as a child.  stop feeding it.
  • Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    I just want to say that I am not convinced that J is a horrible person the way we imagine most abusers to be. (ETA: I say this, because I can imagine you reading this, @Phira, and thinking "no! they don't know him! He is NOT that awful." So I just want to reassure you that I am not imagining him as the devil incarnate, merely a bad boyfriend/ fiance/ possible husband.)

Instead, he sounds to me like he does not understand how to be in a relationship yet, and resorts to childish ways of emotional manipulation rather than actual communication. It is not your job to be his emotional punching bag while he (very very veryyyyyyy slowly) learns to be a grown up and treat his "partner" with respect. If he hasn't figured out by now how to be respectful and communicate, and as an adult he most definitely should have as that is a typical and healthy part of development, it will probably take him a decade or more if he ever does. 
  • Options
    1) @phira, I am sending you the biggest hug right now!!

2) Other ladies have covered so much, but all I want to add is that when J pulls the 'But why do we have to do X,Y or Z with your family, when..." holiday BS, your answer is "Because it IS important to me to see them too." If he doesn't understand that if something is important to you, then that is enough of a reason for finding a compromise. As a couple, we don't always have to like how we divide our time, but we have to respect the other person's need for that time. Its sounds like J doesn't get that yet. 

3) one more hug!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Phira, my heart hurts for you. I am so sorry you are going through all of this. PPs have given some amazing advice and I think you need to take a long, hard, look at your relationship with J. Just to reiterate things that have already been said:

1. I love how you always refer to J as your partner. I think it shows great maturity in a relationship and a true equal partnership. However, based on what you have said in your posts, J is anything but a partner. You put his needs ahead of your own, which is normal in a relationship. But he also puts his needs ahead of yours, not normal.
    2. The way that you constantly make excuses for his behavior is a classic sign of an abusive relationship. You are in a mentally and emotionally abusive relationship. Is this something that you want to live with the rest of your life? 
    3. Even if I have perceived that information incorrectly, J is definitely a very manipulative person. Everything has to be his way, even down to the way you argue and have disagreements. He always makes you feel like the bad guy and you feel guilty for being angry at his uncalled for behavior.
    4. Postponing the wedding, I'm sure, will not be easy. It will be hard for you both. But would you rather postpone (and possibly eventually cancel) the wedding now, or get a divorce later? I think that is the best way to look at it. 

Your relationship has some serious issues that need to be worked on. Maybe therapy and treatment can help these problems, maybe not. I think it is important to think of yourself right now. You are obviously stressed out and emotionally exhausted. For once in your relationship, this may be the perfect time to make a decision by yourself and taking only your needs in to consideration.

• Options
    lmcooper86lmcooper86 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited June 2014

Phira, I hope you ate cupcakes last night. If you didn't, please go buy one now because you fucking deserve it.

I have been keeping up with this thread and your previous one, and like many ladies haven't commented because I don't know you and your relationship well and other posters were pretty much hitting the nail on the head with their advice. But my heart hurts for you right now and I want to add another supportive voice.

Please stop thinking about what your family and his family and anyone else is going to think if you postpone. Think about yourself, and how you're going to feel if you postpone. From the sound of things, I'm guessing you will feel relieved to not have this wedding hanging over your head while you and J try to resolve your issues.

I'm hearing a lot of what sounds like my last relationship in what you're saying. My ex was emotionally abusive and manipulative and made me feel like everything, literally EVERYTHING, in our relationship was somehow my fault; he was never wrong, he was never the one that screwed up, and I was constantly trying to adjust and modify my own behavior to suit him. And I loved him, so I put up with it and I made excuses, and I believed that my actions were what was hurting our relationship.

We were living together and had talked about getting married; everyone assumed that was going to happen. When our relationship ended I felt like a failure. I thought everyone would judge me and think that I had failed at being an acceptable girlfriend. I didn't tell anyone what had happened for months because I was so ashamed that we weren't together anymore (yeah, crazy person, party of 1). He was the one who actually ended things, and as much as it sucked and was awful and painful, I am grateful EVERY DAY that I am not with him. When I eventually woke up and realized that I deserved so much better I stopped giving a fuck what anyone else thought.

Put yourself first this time. Think about what you want and what you need and how you feel. Forget about what your families will think if you postpone. If that's the right thing for your relationship, then who cares what they think? Please take the time to actually think about what is right for YOU and then act on it. So many hugs for you!!

ETA this is a rambly mess, but I am upset for you and organizing thoughts is hard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I don't have much to add, except to say that I'm sorry you're going through this.  PP have all given great advice.  Take care of yourself right now; you've spent more than enough time worrying about J and his family.  Right now, focus on your needs--they're important.

Five years from now, you'll almost certainly thank yourself for postponing (or even calling off) the wedding and really addressing the underlying issues here.  

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I hesitate to say this, mostly because I'm entirely aware that being trained in sexual violence and abuse prevention doesn't mean that I'm completely immune to finding myself neck-deep in an abusive situation. But I think the bigger issue with J is that he is not getting treated for his OCD and related depression. It doesn't make his behavior acceptable, and it doesn't make it less ARGHHH WOULD YOU STOP. And it doesn't mean that, WELP I signed up for a lifetime of this already, oh well. I really do think that he's just THIS bad at dealing with change, and doing something different (like missing Christmas with his parents) means obsessing over how he's destroyed his relationship with them, and how they would never understand why he'd miss such an important family holiday to be with a family that doesn't even really celebrate the holiday. Etc.

Point being, last night, I told him that if he wanted to stay in this relationship (wedding aside), then he needed to find a therapist. I told him that I didn't care if he saw a social worker or a psychiatrist--he has to find a mental health professional, he has to find one as soon as possible, and he has to get back into treatment. I'm aware that being treated for OCD is not the same as just going in once a week and talking for an hour. I'm also entirely aware that OCD isn't something that eventually goes away. And I know that this might not even be his OCD--it might just be how J is, even if he had normal brain chemistry.

But until he goes and GETS treatment, it'll be impossible to tell if treatment helps. Which is what we talked about last night.

J is willing to spend the time and money on this, as well as couple's therapy, and he is also considering going to HR at work and seeing if he can have an adjustment in hours so he can have early morning appointments (for individual therapy, couple's therapy, or both). When I say "considering," I mean that he brought it up as an option, but that it might not be necessary.

And yes--J has been officially diagnosed with OCD and has had some success with CBT in the past (he used to have to drink out of paper cups and use a new kitchen sponge every time he did the dishes).

A lot of you have asked me if I want to be married to J, and honestly, I do want to marry him. It's becoming increasingly clear, though, that postponing the wedding, indefinitely or otherwise, would effectively end the relationship. I'm still not sure what I want to do, given the circumstances.

What frustrates me the most about this is that I did not want a big, traditional wedding. I wanted to go to the courthouse and then maybe go to dinner with 20 people or so. The thousands of dollars we'd be out if I wanted to postpone? Not money I wanted to spend on a wedding anyway.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I understand not wanting to end your relationship, and I understand not wanting to lose thousands of dollars. But... a divorce will do that too. You're going to do what you want to do, but I wish you had a happy, healthy relationship with someone who supports you and puts your needs first.

I have OCD. I understand those little voices in the head that freeze you up ("omg. if you don't do this right, your entire life path will be RUINED!") I know OCD manifests differently in everyone but... I still put the needs of M first. And when we have any type of disagreement or issue, which is exceedingly rare, we sit down and calmly talk about it, hug, and make up. And then that thing we disagreed about or had an issue with goes away. And does not come back. And he NEVER acts like my feelings are less important than his are, or his time with his family is more important than mine. 

Maybe once J gets into treatment, and you have couples therapy, this will all go away, and you'll be married and happy.  Maybe. And I hope that is true. But like I said way earlier... relationships shouldn't take THIS much work at the beginning of your life together. That's a signal of incompatibility in my opinion. 
  • Options
    Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    WTH TK. There was so much formatting in that shiz. I'm going back to edit if I can :/ ETA: I attempted. TK just hates me :(
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    Let me be clear.  I know several people with OCD.  OCD will absolutely make you check to see that the stove has been turned off 50 times.  It will make you check that you locked the front door multiple times.  It will make you use a new sponge every time you wash the dishes.

OCD will absolutely NOT make you tell your fiancee that she doesn't get to spend Christmastime with her family because she's a Jew.  OCD will absolutely not make you dole out ultimatums when your fiancee expresses a desire to postpone your wedding.  OCD will absolutely not make you say cruel, abusive things, like "We shouldn't spend Father's Day with your family because you don't really have a dad anyway."
    Agreed. Besides making you repeat things, OCD may also freeze you up and say "I don't want to separate! We could get lost!" or "I can't do this (paper, work thing, cleaning) right now... once I start I won't be able to stop! It needs to be PERFECT! There's SO MUCH to do!" 

But it won't make you say something like "your family time is less important than my family time because you don't even CELEBRATE this. duh. but that other holiday that you do celebrate? Yeah, its more important to be with my family then too." That's a symptom of being a jerk, or being much too dependent on his family, not OCD. If you want to give up your time with your family for the rest of your life, then okay. That's your decision. But you need to be prepared for those things not to change. Because they don't sound like they are a result of any type of OCD I have ever heard of, and certainly not the part of OCD that can be treated. 

ps- I can't handle sponges either. Fiance hand washes most things because of it. Thank goodness for dishwashers. 

I just feel so upset for you! I've read these types of threads in the past and thought "why are they telling her to break up?? They don't know her relationship??" but... the degree to which you are upset by the things that J has done, and your lack of interest and resentment towards having a wedding and getting engaged are what is driving these responses (besides the asshole things J has said.) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards