Wedding Etiquette Forum

(closed)

Re: (closed)

• People can go wherever they want to get a drink. If they want to go out to a restaurant and have some wine, that's fine by me. I just know that these people like to sit and drink and drink and drink. My goal is not to be mean or controlling. Also, these 4 people are people that we can't not invite.
    Could you not have them stay at the house?  If those 4 people want to drink that badly, they'll find a way.  I honestly think you may be better off just not renting the big house.  I'm sure there are other places in the area people can stay and you can all hang out during the day.  Like people said, you're entitled to do what you want, but if a friend/family member of mine came to me and said "And NO DRINKING.  You CANNOT bring alcohol." I would think she didn't trust me to control myself and would probably decline the invitation. Or at the very least stay elsewhere.
  • Many posters said that you can definitely have a dry wedding. They also said "your house, your rules." However, most said they thought forbidding alcohol to legal adults is over the top and a little controlling.

Look, it's fine that you don't feel comfortable around alcohol and choose not to participate but you have to understand that alcohol is a part of many people's daily lives. I drink a glass of wine on a daily basis and a few more on the weekends. Am I an alcoholic? No. I can go with out drinking. But do I want to? Yes.

I know what an alcoholic is. My dad is a recovering alcoholic. My dad can still be around alcohol because he has enough will power to be able to do so. You can muster up the strength to be around alcohol with those you feel close enough to invite to your wedding. 

Have a dry wedding. Don't purchase alcohol for the house. But if don't "ban" alchol if people choose to bring their own. 

• well then I go back to thinking you are setting yourself up for failure for having a weekend long wedding.

To be fair, I side-eye 4 day-long wedding weekends that include alcohol.  So this one with this possible situation is just asking for problems in my opinion.

Good luck.  Hopefully they will only stay one night and then go home.  If they are the type of drinkers you claim they I doubt you will get 4 days on vacation of no drinking out of them.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited July 2014
  • Those who want to drink, they are going to drink.  They are going to sneak it in. Having a dry wedding/reception is cool but I think it's going to be diffiult to control what the adults are going to do.
  • edited July 2014
  • I just probably wouldn't go, not because of the lack of alcohol, but because 4 days in one house with 20 people, really? Nope. Why do you want to have this weekend long wedding? I'm not trying to be rude, just need some clarification as to the necessity of it when it is obviously causing major stress.

• lyndausvi said:
    AlexisA01 said:
    I am side eyeing this and yes, I have to ask:How is this okay etiquette wise, I am legitimately asking. Especially with Adults that are of age. I can understand not smoking in the house but to tell someone they can not have a glass of wine or a beer. Adults should be able to drink without needing monitoring?
    I believe in house rules.   The OP is renting the house, so he is within her rights to make such rules.  

Now this is where it gets controlling.   It appears the OP is taking it a step farther and saying you  are not even allowed go to a restaurant and have a glass of wine as long as your are staying in my house.    Yeah,  I will respect not drinking in your house, I will not extended that to any place I might go to while staying at said place.

It's very controlling. SO what happens when they go out and come back to house since they couldn't drink at the house. I don't understand the point in monitoring adults. Does the OP expect people to STAY at the house ALL the time? Does she not want them to drink when they leave? Someone mentioned about sneaking out to the car to drink. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• MegEn1MegEn1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    If these 'legal adults' have respect for my fiance and I, they will respect our wishes. Life isn't all about doing what you wanna do and drinking. There will be other beverages. If someone were to go out and get drunk at a bar, it would be hugely disrespectful. I just don't think that's going to happen. They are going to be fine with this, it's ridiculous that it even escalated to this. 
    Then just include the rules as part of the guest information. From your post, you made it sound like it was so serious that you didn't trust these people to control themselves at all. If you can't trust them to respect your wishes enough not to get plastered, it stands to reason that you probably can't trust them to follow the house rules even when they're in their rooms. Or having a bubble bath. Or whatever. 

FWIW I respect and love my FSIL. But if she told me there were rules in place, that no alcohol was allowed into the house for four days I'd be offended and hurt that she thought I couldn't control myself. Since this is an etiquette board, I felt that was worth mentioning. 

Best of luck. 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 

• Only those who want to stay are going to stay. It isn't required. They can pay for their own $200-400/night hotel room if they'd like to. All for a glass of wine, I guess.
    I'm genuinely curious .... what would you do if you learned that one of your guests brought a flask?
  • edited July 2014
    Only those who want to stay are going to stay. It isn't required. They can pay for their own $200-400/night hotel room if they'd like to. All for a glass of wine, I guess.
    You best believe that I would be paying for my own room if that meant I had the freedom of choosing what I wanted to drink. Wine? Hell yes.
  • Then state house rules as part of the invitation.

Respect works both ways. As a grown woman I don't sabr to be policed while doing perfectly acceptable things.

What else is going on during the 4 days?

I went to a wedding on Saturday and just stayed fit the event itself.
  • If these 'legal adults' have respect for my fiance and I, they will respect our wishes. Life isn't all about doing what you wanna do and drinking. There will be other beverages. If someone were to go out and get drunk at a bar, it would be hugely disrespectful. I just don't think that's going to happen. They are going to be fine with this, it's ridiculous that it even escalated to this. 

I really don't understand how you can see alcohol as this poisonous that you would want to control their behavior when they aren't even sharing a roof with you. I would want to stay somewhere else not because I wanted wine, but because I wouldn't want to be controlled by you.

FWIW, someone (a plus one I had only met once before) got absolutely shitfaced at our wedding and puked all over the bathroom. I didn't personally see it, but apparently it literally was all over. She also later came up and hugged me smelling like vomit (the only reason I knew that night that it had happened - I asked her date what the deal was).  My older sister helped carry her to a car later. And YES, I thought it was ridiculous and rude that she got that sloppy at our wedding.

But if I ever host another large party, I'm still going to have alcohol. Because it seems silly to ban something many enjoy because a few can't control themselves. 

• If these 'legal adults' have respect for my fiance and I, they will respect our wishes. Life isn't all about doing what you wanna do and drinking. There will be other beverages. If someone were to go out and get drunk at a bar, it would be hugely disrespectful. I just don't think that's going to happen. They are going to be fine with this, it's ridiculous that it even escalated to this. 

SIB

Respect goes both ways. You are not respecting the fact that they are adults and can make their own decisions.  

To the bolded: If your guests are going to be ok with this then why did you even have to ask how to handle it. Also I think expecting people to take four days out of their lives to celebrate your wedding is a bit much. You get one day, not four.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards