Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

(closed)

Re: (closed)

• Options
    mysticl said:
    @JoanE2012 I am just so shocked at how rude you are! These people get drunk. You have no idea what you're talking about. Yes, it was addressed. So read in the previous pages, or don't be so snarky and disgusting. You are hiding behind a computer screen, getting your kicks off of being horrible to an innocent person. Good lord.
    She said nothing that was disgusting.  And she asked how many would actually get drunk.  In case you haven't noticed it's an 8 page thread, it gets hard to read. Based on the answer you just gave she is now going to assume that all 20 people you have invited are going to get drunk. She is not being the least bit horrible to you and playing the innocent victim card on these boards won't get you far.  

BTW I'm a social worker, if you have such strong reactions to people drinking alcohol you really should talk to someone about it.  This could become very debilitating to you.  

SITB
    I agree. Nobody was disgusting. Now the OP is going back to her original plan of serving none.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    say whaaaaaaaa?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    @blueskies13‌ , have the guests in question accepted the invitation to the lake house? Have they indicated that they plan on staying the extra days with you after the wedding?
  • Options

@banana468 They can stay at a hotel if they want, but I am offering the lake home. They can pay for the hotel themselves if that's what they want to do. I will be totally okay with that. Or they can just go home.

Side note, congratulations about your giant pregnant belly. That's wonderful. :)

Edit: The point of the lake home is the beauty for the ceremony/reception and then the fun of staying there.
    No alcohol, I presume no loud sex or romping naked through the place, and 4 days with a worry wort bride who should be demanding her own private sex cabin.

I mean, really, what a fun-suck.
  • Options
    You have a very different idea of what sarcasm is then what it actually is. I recommend you step away, and have a cup of tea. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't understand why you won't answer why this 4 people HAVE to be invited to stay the whole weekend...

• Options
    I don't see what the problem is. The OP already stated that no one HAS to stay for the whole weekend. So what is wrong with having a dry reception, not having any alcohol around for the duration, letting people know that and then everyone can make their own decisions regarding how long they want to stay. If people sneak in some alcohol that would suck, but the OP already said that she would deal. It might be true that the request not to bring alcohol is a bit (or a lot) controlling, but she is paying for the house and she is not forcing anyone to stay there after the reception. And as long as she has plenty of other options she is hosting everyone properly. She doesn't have to serve alcohol. OP, make the request (you got some good advice as to how to word it) and be ready for people declining, not staying for the whole weekend, and unfortunately yes, some people may bring some alcohol regardless so figure out how you will deal with those people in a polite and gracious manner. My suggestion would be to ignore it and be kind and caring and not let these people know that you are uncomfortable. Cry in the privacy of your room and get your fiancé to comfort you. Don't make your guests uncomfortable by showing your discomfort.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @Liatris2010 I'm not sure about your family, but if you seriously need 'social lube' to get along... You need more than booze. Who ever said anything about 19 people? I specifically said it will be about 12 people. 

@SimplyFated My wanting to cry is wrong? I don't get that. It shouldn't make any of you angry. It was a personal attack on nobody. Certain things make people uncomfortable. Some people don't like drugs. Some people don't like smoking. Some people don't like bugs. Actually, my fiance runs from spiders. People have irrational fears, and maybe my irrational fear is those who are intoxicated. I didn't feel the need to share any family history of alcoholism to prove good reasoning.  People are just bothered by certain things. This is my thing. It was nobody's job to rant and rage and freak out about it. I don't care what any of you drink! I just don't want intoxicated family members around me. It makes me uncomfortable.
    Holy crap.
    Whether or not your fear of people drinking alcohol is rational or not I don't know, but you are definitely posting irrationally. I agreed with you, gave you good advice and didn't even comment on whether or not your fear was irrational. And you flew off the handle at me. Step back and think about your reply to me because you are actually going off on people in this thread who are helping you and giving you a very important outside perspective.

You commented on how this thread had escalated and I just pointed out why. It's your wording. I have a perfectly rational fear of lightning because my mom and I were almost struck once. Some would argue that it isn't rational. That's fine. Some are going to argue with you about your fears. You're going to have to be fine with their replies about your fears if you discuss them in public.

The problem started when you gave a reason as to why you don't want alcohol there. You might not want your reason to matter when we give our replies, but they will. It's an open forum and you can't control how we reply and what portion of your post we reply to. That's how discussion forums work. People discuss things that other people post. You posted information, making that information up for discussion.

I stand by my advice. Either talk to those 4 people directly and in person or put it in writing on a note inserted with the invitation, along with other pertinent information about the weekend.
    You very well may run the risk of challenging them, instead of deterring them, as several pps have tried to explain.
  • Options
    We will have at least 5 people staying with us who care more about us than being drunk, thankfully. We can also choose to invite more to fill the space. We will know all of this ahead of time, our wedding is just a bit far off. There are also a few nice lake rentals, and some are a bit smaller with a smaller pricetag.

@lyndausvi You think I'm controlling and now you want to control what I'm saying? Wow. 
    LOL. Nobody who is truly special to us wants to come to my wedding and have their every move controlled by me for four days, so we have space and need more people to help pay for our rental house. Wanna come?
  • Options
    I'm also curious what other activities guests will be able to enjoy. Can they fish? Rent paddle boats (or bigger boats)? Are there nearby attractions to see?

Just tell me there is enough to do for four days other than stare at each other or be forced into awkward games so that people will feel less inclined to run to the grocery store and start sneaking in those mini bottles.

Oh, did you guys know there is wine icecream? I'd probably still bring it. It's 5% ABV by the pint, so it's not like anyone could even stomach enough to get a buzz.
  • Options
    Sooo much pearl clutching, OP..

This party is starting sound a little awkward.  No hate, I honestly hope your wedding is a riot but I'd be sooooo friggin' awkward in this situation.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    @lyndausvi that's awesome!!!! Do you remember how many sqft it was? My old boss's house was 15,000 sq ft - it was absurd.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards