Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Appropriate wording to list hosted drinks

I plan to put small (8 1/2 x 11) signs/menus on top of the bar at our AHR listing the beverages we are hosting.

How do we phrase the signage so people understand those items are the hosted ones?

I was thinking of just listing it similar to a menu with our names and date on top.

Is there a better way to be clear in this instance?

Re: Appropriate wording to list hosted drinks

• Options
    TerriHuggTerriHugg member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    I don't know if this was right or wrong, but I went to a wedding in which there were decorated signs by all the bars stating, "Please enjoy an assortment of wine and beer compliments of the bride and groom" 

Again, I don't know if that was the right way to word it, but I took no issue with it. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will chime in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    When you say that these drinks are hosted, does that mean that there are drinks available that are not hosted?
  • Options
    Wait, so there is a partial cash bar?  NOPE.  Offer only what you can afford.  If it's a dry wedding, that's totally fine.  If it's just beer and wine, that is also fine. 

If you're properly hosting and just want to let your guests know what is available, then a small sign with the options is perfectly okay.  

• Options
    Wait, so there is a partial cash bar?  NOPE.  Offer only what you can afford.  If it's a dry wedding, that's totally fine.  If it's just beer and wine, that is also fine. 

If you're properly hosting and just want to let your guests know what is available, then a small sign with the options is perfectly okay.  
    I don't think she is havibg a cash bar at all.

I believe she is hosting an AHR at a restaurant with a limited bar, and she is trying to figure out how to word signage that indicates the beverages that she is hosting.

I am also having a limited bar, and I doubt the venue is going to remove anything that isn't hosted as is often suggested here.  I'm phrasing my signs something along the lines of:

"Thank you for sharing and celebrating this special occasion with us!  Please enjoy *list of drinks* compliments of the Bride and Groom."

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    mrs4everhartmrs4everhart member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    The wedding is fully hosted, open bar.

The AHR is being held in a bar locally during normal business hours.

We are hosting a keg of Pacifico, Margaritas, several other liquor option TBD and NA Bevs.

Obviously, if people do not want any of these items they'll be on their own to pay for it. I have no qualms with that. They shouldn't either since there are hosted options. If someone wants something else it's not going to hurt my feelings any.

My question was essentially answered by TerriHugg and PrettGirlLost (thank you both) but if anyone has verbiage that could also be considered, I'm all ears.

ETA: a thank you to those who offered wording. No reason to forget to show gratitude.
  • Options
    zitiqueen said:

I plan to put small (8 1/2 x 11) signs/menus on top of the bar at our AHR listing the beverages we are hosting.

How do we phrase the signage so people understand those items are the hosted ones?

I was thinking of just listing it similar to a menu with our names and date on top.

Is there a better way to be clear in this instance?

Are you going to use the date of your actual wedding or the date of your pretend wedding?

I'd be using the date of the AHR, obviously. Why would I post a sign reading 9.13 when the party is on the 28th?

Try harder.
  • Options

The wedding is fully hosted, open bar.

The AHR is being held in a bar locally during normal business hours.

We are hosting a keg of Pacifico, Margaritas, several other liquor option TBD and NA Bevs.

Obviously, if people do not want any of these items they'll be on their own to pay for it. I have no qualms with that. They shouldn't either since there are hosted options. If someone wants something else it's not going to hurt my feelings any.

My question was essentially answered by TerriHugg and PrettGirlLost (thank you both) but if anyone has verbiage that could also be considered, I'm all ears.

ETA: a thank you to those who offered wording. No reason to forget to show gratitude.

SITB

You should be thanking everyone who offered advice, regardless if it was what you wanted to hear. You are rude.

The way I see it I asked a very specific question. Two people answered it. I thanked them.

The rest of you used the thread to have a secondary conversation, which is fine and dandy, but requires no thanks from me or acknowledgement on my part.

It's not really about whether it was "what I wanted to hear" or not. I didn't have a specific set of things I "wanted" to hear. But I did ask a specific question, which if the question were to remain unanswered wtf do I have to thank anyone for?

You may think I'm rude until the cows come home. That's really not my problem.
  • Options
    Actually, your wedding wasn't fully hosted. It already happened.

Regarding your AHR, I'm curious as to how this will work in a bar during regular business hours. Do you have a private room for your guests? How will you know whom you will be serving?
  • Options

Regarding your AHR, I'm curious as to how this will work in a bar during regular business hours. Do you have a private room for your guests? How will you know whom you will be serving?

I'm on mobile so I'm not able to bold/highlight/whatever.

But to your first sentence - I don't have the time to rehash all this stupidity for the thousandth time or dignify your comment with a response bc it's completely unrelated to our AHR.

As for the AHR - yes, our party will be held in several private areas within the venue. We know everyone we've invited so any wandering randos will be pretty easy to spot. And our bartender is a good friend so wandering randos will be sent back to the main bar for service. Or he can pour their drink, charge them then send the rando on his/her way. Whatever's clever.
  • Options

I am just going to leave this here again....image

OP there is no reason to be rude to posters. You are already being rude enough to your guests.

ETF: Spelling

Thanks for taking the time to post about how you think I should post.

But I haven't even come close to being rude to anyone yet today. The night is young though.
  • Options

But to your first sentence - I don't have the time to rehash all this stupidity for the thousandth time or dignify your comment with a response bc it's completely unrelated to our AHR.

As for the AHR - yes, our party will be held in several private areas within the venue. We know everyone we've invited so any wandering randos will be pretty easy to spot. And our bartender is a good friend so wandering randos will be sent back to the main bar for service. Or he can pour their drink, charge them then send the rando on his/her way. Whatever's clever.
    I would then ask your bartender friend to only make available in your private area the drinks which you are hosting.
  • Options
    Btw, YOU were the one to say that your wedding will be open bar. You brought it up. And I stand by what I said. Your wedding already happened. Your PPD will be open bar.
  • Options

I would then ask your bartender friend to only make available in your private area the drinks which you are hosting.
    The bar isn't going to want to do that. And neither are we. We're offering what we're offering. If someone wants something different there's no reason to prohibit it. It's more of an inconvenience for our guests to then go start a tab at the main bar and have to go in and out to refill.

If they want free drinks they can drink what's offered. If they don't they can start a tab.

We're covered from a hosting perspective. We would never be offended if someone wants something we're not hosting and is willing to pay for it. That's a silly thing for us to ever be offended by.
  • Options

Btw, YOU were the one to say that your wedding will be open bar. You brought it up. And I stand by what I said. Your wedding already happened. Your PPD will be open bar.

Potato/Potahto. You can call it whatever you'd like. I'll do the same. And I didn't bring it up either. I was clarifying for the couple of posters who weren't clear. I believe it was time2striving who used the term "wedding" in her post if you'd like to be especially certain.
  • Options

The bar isn't going to want to do that. And neither are we. We're offering what we're offering. If someone wants something different there's no reason to prohibit it. It's more of an inconvenience for our guests to then go start a tab at the main bar and have to go in and out to refill.

If they want free drinks they can drink what's offered. If they don't they can start a tab.

We're covered from a hosting perspective. We would never be offended if someone wants something we're not hosting and is willing to pay for it. That's a silly thing for us to ever be offended by.
    I seriously don't know why you ask for advice here. I realize YOU aren't offended by this approach, but it's NOT about you. Etiquette wise, you should only have available the drinks which you are hosting. It would be more appropriate to have your private area and only serve the drinks you are covering.

Your guests should not have to open their wallets at your hosted event. Period.
  • Options

OP there is no reason to be rude to posters. You are already being rude enough to your guests.

Thanks for taking the time to post about how you think I should post. But I haven't even come close to being rude to anyone yet today. The night is young though.
    Eh, you posted on a public forum. One that has seen your ridiculous justifications for your PPD for months now. Honestly, why even bother posting? You know what type of responses you are going to get by now because most posters know you are having a PPD and we don't advocate them.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I plan to put small (8 1/2 x 11) signs/menus on top of the bar at our AHR listing the beverages we are hosting. How do we phrase the signage so people understand those items are the hosted ones? I was thinking of just listing it similar to a menu with our names and date on top. Is there a better way to be clear in this instance?
    Are you going to use the date of your actual wedding or the date of your pretend wedding?
    I'd be using the date of the AHR, obviously. Why would I post a sign reading 9.13 when the party is on the 28th? Try harder.
    Typically for an AHR an invitation would read, "Mr. and Mrs. Pantsonfire invite you to celebrate their recent (9/13) and not so recent marriage (date/2013).  Those familiar with etiquette would know this, hence the question regarding the date.  It was clear the question was directed toward the invitation.
  • Options

But I haven't even come close to being rude to anyone yet today. The night is young though.

Eh, you posted on a public forum. One that has seen your ridiculous justifications for your PPD for months now. Honestly, why even bother posting? You know what type of responses you are going to get by now because most posters know you are having a PPD and we don't advocate them.

Well, it looks like I DID get an answer to the question I posed. Two actually. And while trying to figure out how to word this sign/menu where else would I ask?

Not everyone is obsessed with bringing up this ridiculous "PPD" garbage. Some people can actually focus and answer a question that's completely unrelated to my wedding. And by virtue an AHR is generally held subsequent to a wedding. So how/when we get married is completely irrelevant to ANY question about an AHR. So it would seem some of you just really like discussing it as nuseaum.
  • Options

I seriously don't know why you ask for advice here. I realize YOU aren't offended by this approach, but it's NOT about you. Etiquette wise, you should only have available the drinks which you are hosting. It would be more appropriate to have your private area and only serve the drinks you are covering.

That's the thing. They don't *have* to do any such thing. If they choose to buy their own beverage TK wisdom would say THEY are the ones being rude.

But since I won't feel slighted and Mr. E doesn't care, all parties to the plan are in the clear.
  • Options

Thanks for taking the time to post about how you think I should post. But I haven't even come close to being rude to anyone yet today. The night is young though.
    Well, it looks like I DID get an answer to the question I posed. Two actually. And while trying to figure out how to word this sign/menu where else would I ask? Not everyone is obsessed with bringing up this ridiculous "PPD" garbage. Some people can actually focus and answer a question that's completely unrelated to my wedding. And by virtue an AHR is generally held subsequent to a wedding. So how/when we get married is completely irrelevant to ANY question about an AHR. So it would seem some of you just really like discussing it as nuseaum.

I just can't with you. Really...image

• Options
    MobKaz said:

Actually, this is not the PPD.  This is phase 3 of the ever attention grabbing, never ending road show.

Right. OP said that the "wedding" is open bar. The AHR is partial open bar. This is certainly quite a circus!
  • Options

That's the thing. They don't *have* to do any such thing. If they choose to buy their own beverage TK wisdom would say THEY are the ones being rude.

But since I won't feel slighted and Mr. E doesn't care, all parties to the plan are in the clear.
    It's not rude for your guests to purchase a drink. It IS rude for you to have a bar available to your guests where you are only covering a portion of the beverages.

And let me say this again. ... it does not matter if you feel slighted. As soon as you invite guests to celebrate with you, it ceases to be about you.

And PLEASE point out where you claim that "TK wisdom" would deem it rude for your guests to purchase a drink other that the ones you are providing.
  • Options

MobKaz said:

Actually, this is not the PPD.  This is phase 3 of the ever attention grabbing, never ending road show.
    Right. OP said that the "wedding" is open bar. The AHR is partial open bar. This is certainly quite a circus!

Ooh, a circus! That sounds like so. much. fun. Just today I asked Mr. E if our dog can come now that dogs on patios will be legal in Denver starting next week. So we'll have animals AND craziness covered! Sweet!
  • Options

Well, it looks like I DID get an answer to the question I posed. Two actually. And while trying to figure out how to word this sign/menu where else would I ask?

Not everyone is obsessed with bringing up this ridiculous "PPD" garbage. Some people can actually focus and answer a question that's completely unrelated to my wedding. And by virtue an AHR is generally held subsequent to a wedding. So how/when we get married is completely irrelevant to ANY question about an AHR. So it would seem some of you just really like discussing it as nuseaum.

I just can't with you. Really...image

I really wish you wouldn't with me too. So this is easy. Please just don't.
  • Options
    Clever.
  • Options
    I see that now.  My mistake.  Since the AHR is show number 3, I guess that makes it a three ring circus!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards