Chit Chat
Options

What are your goals for the next 1 year?

Re: What are your goals for the next 1 year?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Jan 2015-I need to start putting into my 401k.  I started the new job Dec 2013 but we needed every dollar for the wedding and apartment.

Rest of 2015:

I toy with the idea of going back to school.  I just don't know what I'd go back for.

Possibly get pregnant??  We're in the boat of TTW (not trying to avoid but not exactly trying)

Save money for a house.  Our lease is up in February.  We don't have enough saved for the type of house we want and we haven't even looked at houses yet. So renting for another year it is.

All I can think of for now...

ETA:Typos
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @lacqueredlover How many have you been to? I'm at 5 continents. If you do Asia, I highly recommend Japan!
    I'm at 3 - North America, most of Europe and South America.  My FI and I are talking about doing Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam for our Honeymoon but unfortunately it will probably have to be in 2016 just due to days off and work and all that fun stuff.  I would LOVE to go to Japan!  I'm also planning a trip to Antarctica in 2016 or 2017 with my mom!

• Options
    Oh man, I have lots.

1) Finish school and apply for a grad school program.
    2) Pay off cc/med bill debt.
    3) sell the condo.
    4) buy a house.
    5) after being in my recently earned promotional position for 12 months, move up to the next one.
    6) complete adoption proceedings for H to adopt my kids.
    7) Go on a real, non-business trip (maybe? please?)
    8) Obtain a new professional certification or two.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @lacqueredlover How many have you been to? I'm at 5 continents. If you do Asia, I highly recommend Japan!
    I'm at 3 - North America, most of Europe and South America.  My FI and I are talking about doing Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam for our Honeymoon but unfortunately it will probably have to be in 2016 just due to days off and work and all that fun stuff.  I would LOVE to go to Japan!  I'm also planning a trip to Antarctica in 2016 or 2017 with my mom!

Nice! Thailand looks awesome. We had a really hard time in Asia- like it was beautiful but the language and the food we really had trouble with and didn't enjoy. I knew someone living in Japan so that made it much more enjoyable than being on our own in China. I always thought of myself as so worldy and adaptable but I did freak out in China lol.

I HATE being cold, so as cool as it would be to check Antarctica off my list, I can't stomach $5000-10,000 to freeze my ass off lol

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Wow, for some reason I didn't realize Antarctica was a place regular people could go on vacation!

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    jenna8984 said:

Nice! Thailand looks awesome. We had a really hard time in Asia- like it was beautiful but the language and the food we really had trouble with and didn't enjoy. I knew someone living in Japan so that made it much more enjoyable than being on our own in China. I always thought of myself as so worldy and adaptable but I did freak out in China lol.

I HATE being cold, so as cool as it would be to check Antarctica off my list, I can't stomach $5000-10,000 to freeze my ass off lol

Haha I went to the Arctic Circle in Finland in 2013 to see the Northern Lights, I figure summer time in Antarctica has to be better than that.  Plus, penguins.

• Options
    @lolo883 they are boating expeditions that START at $5,000 a person (not including flights)

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    I'm at 5 as well! I have not been to South America or Antarctica. Oddly enough, I was almost sent to both for work in the last few years. I'm glad it didn't work out, as I can't imagine getting cancer while in Antarctica! 

I'm not sure I'd ever do either of those for leisure. Maybe Chile or Argentina at some point, but it's not high on the list. 

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @lolo883 they are boating expeditions that START at $5,000 a person (not including flights)
    I'm looking at them now... ridiculous! But I like the cold, and love penguins. DH would definitely not go with me; he's a tropical being.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    I'm at 5 as well! I have not been to South America or Antarctica. Oddly enough, I was almost sent to both for work in the last few years. I'm glad it didn't work out, as I can't imagine getting cancer while in Antarctica! 

I'm not sure I'd ever do either of those for leisure. Maybe Chile or Argentina at some point, but it's not high on the list. 
    Oh South America is wonderful.  I was in Peru last year with a friend.  We hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, went to the Amazon for a few days and spent a couple days each in Cusco and Lima.  Wonderful food, amazing people, so much history between the Inca people and the Spanish conquistadors, just a fascinating place!  I highly recommend it!

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

@jells2dot0 That's one of the reasons I was so freaked out in China. All I kept thinking was what if I get in a taxi accident or my appendix busts or something and I wake up in a fucking Chinese hospital?! Obviously that doesn't compare to cancer but it still scare the crap out of me.

The ones I'm missing are Antarctica and Australia.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

I'm at five too. I haven't been to Australia or Antartica.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    I'm looking at them now... ridiculous! But I like the cold, and love penguins. DH would definitely not go with me; he's a tropical being.
    We are going to Cape Town, South Africa for our honeymoon. It's warm AND has penguins. Possible compromise?
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    I was told I'm not allowed to hug a penguin when I go.  That made me sad.  (I did once pet a south african penguin and it bit me but Emporer penguins have my heart.)  But I am dying to go there, I think it would be incredible to see.  Plus I really want to go to Patagonia too and that's where the expeditions leave from!

• Options
    @jdluvr06 We're missing the same two- we should plan Australia together hahah

• Options
    Oh shit, all you responsible people have some quality money saving goals. Let me add a few:

-Start saving some of every paycheck!

-Pay down all or most credit card debt

-Discuss how we will combine finances/start earmarking savings for specific things like a house, a car, vacations, etc.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Here are mine:
    Lose 20 pounds
    Get a promotion and raise
    Run the Brooklyn Half marathon in the spring
    Get married!
    Start reinvesting in my 401K
    Continue to pay off all my debt
    Buy a home
    Go back to school to finish my MBA
    Start looking into different jobs within my field of interest (within or outside my company)
    Travel somewhere new (the honeymoon will set this one off)

I think that's it for now...

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

Haha! Let's plan! I'd love to go to Australia but dh doesn't want to go because of snakes. I don't know why the snakes in Australia are so much worse to him than the snakes in Peru but whatever.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Australia!!! It's a must-do! I will definitely make it back there at some point. I wanted to go next year, but I figure I should keep things somewhat close to home for most of the year JIC. 

I don't think i could do Antarctica because of the boat thing either. I get massively sea sick on the open seas.

• Options
    Oh and I have another 15 pounds to lose to reach my goal so hoping to have that squared away by early Spring!  

• Options
    kat1114 said:
    jenna8984 said:
    We are going to Cape Town, South Africa for our honeymoon. It's warm AND has penguins. Possible compromise?
    Hmmm maybe! It's more likely that I just leave him behind and take my mom. She also appreciates the rough water, whereas DH gets seasick in the bathtub. We went to Alaska when I was a teenager and hit some really rough water on a whale watching day cruise - she, big sis and I were out on the bowsprit as the boat jumped through the spray, screaming and laughing like it was a roller coaster... while dad, bro and lil sis were downstairs blowing chunks. I tried to steal a puffin, to no avail.

I think DH and I will just cross some more states off our list in the next year (we've been to 15 together), but no additional continents. 

• Options
    kat1114 said:
    jenna8984 said:
    Hmmm maybe! It's more likely that I just leave him behind and take my mom. She also appreciates the rough water, whereas DH gets seasick in the bathtub. We went to Alaska when I was a teenager and hit some really rough water on a whale watching day cruise - she, big sis and I were out on the bowsprit as the boat jumped through the spray, screaming and laughing like it was a roller coaster... while dad, bro and lil sis were downstairs blowing chunks. I tried to steal a puffin, to no avail.

I think DH and I will just cross some more states off our list in the next year (we've been to 15 together), but no additional continents. 
    I tried to steal a puffin in Iceland!  They are fast little suckers

• Options
    All this talk of penguins makes me think of this
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    jenna8984 said:

Haha! Let's plan! I'd love to go to Australia but dh doesn't want to go because of snakes. I don't know why the snakes in Australia are so much worse to him than the snakes in Peru but whatever.
    We traveled up and down the GBR and didn't see one snake or croc. Maybe it's because we stayed on islands most of the time. The biggest thing you worry about on the islands is the jellies. They have these funky condom-looking suits you can wear on dives when the jellies are active. 

• Options
    @pinkcow13 you're going to have quite the busy year!

• Options
    All this talk of penguins makes me think of this

This is like my favorite movie ever and made me really want to go to Madagascar.

"don't give me excuses- give me results!!!"

• Options
    For any of you ladies that like the cold, I highly recommend going to the arctic to see the Northern Lights.  It was one of the most unbelievable nights of my life.  I have some insane photographs from it, we stayed in a glass igloo and it was seriously magical.  Plus we took a reindeer ride, went dog sledding, snowmobiling, and spiked hot cocoa.

• Options

My list:

Save up for my New Zealand Trip

Save up for grad school

Get really good grades

Enjoy my time with V

Fully take advantage of my job and internship

• Options
    I'm adding a goal. I would like to lose those last few pounds so I can fit into some of my old clothes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards