Chit Chat

What are your goals for the next 1 year?

1235»

Re: What are your goals for the next 1 year?

• French Canadians, especially in Montreal or Quebec, will not be any nicer to you for speaking English! If anything they might be worse as they are very very attached to anything French. However, any effort you make will be highly appreciated :) What I noticed in Paris is that they might not necessarily like to answer you in English but there are so many English speaking tourists that they don't seem to mind so much. Now if you're planning to live in France and can't speak French, that's a different story!
    It's much more of a Canadian vs American thing though.  If you're Canadian, Quebecers expect that we should all be able to speak French.  If they hear an American accent, they're much more happy to speak English cos they don't expect Americans to speak French.   

SITB

Quebecers. Just separate already! :)
    I agree that they are less "aggressive" when they realize you're just an 'Murican! Quebecers aredo love their French heritage and it's very ok in my opinion if they want to separate but not very realistic. Oh well, don't know if I'll ever be back in Quebec but for what it's worth, Montreal is a beautiful place.

@hellosweetie1015: Pourrais-je avoir un verre de vin blanc ou rouge? :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm glad I read this thread - you ladies are damn inspirational!

Rest of 2014:
    -Start my first RN job
    -Pay off the last bit of debt I've got
    -Build savings

2015 (mostly in order):
    -Get my own apartment
    -Adopt a dog
    -Apply for a BSN program
    -Go on a real vacation; it's been two years! I would either like to do a nice beach thing with some girlfriends, or do a whale watching trip off Washington state. The family is also talking about doing a Disney trip in the summer.
    -I don't know if this can be a goal, since I can't do too much to make it happen, but...I've been single for about a year now, and it's been really good for me, but I am really ready to meet someone awesome and have a relationship. No idea how to accomplish this except to enjoy life as it is and be open to meeting people, so I guess that's what I'll keep doing.
  • @clogreeneyes I know it sounds cliche but you really do meet the right person at the most random and unexpected time and place. I left my hometown at 18, when I moved back at 25 I thought who the hell am I going to date- I know everyone in a 20 mile radius! Exaggeration but that's what it felt like. My high school best friend was still here and she had become good friends with a new girl from 30 minutes away. I started hanging out with them and getting to know the girl and we became close friends. She set up me & DH shortly after!

• jenna8984 said:
    @clogreeneyes I know it sounds cliche but you really do meet the right person at the most random and unexpected time and place. I left my hometown at 18, when I moved back at 25 I thought who the hell am I going to date- I know everyone in a 20 mile radius! Exaggeration but that's what it felt like. My high school best friend was still here and she had become good friends with a new girl from 30 minutes away. I started hanging out with them and getting to know the girl and we became close friends. She set up me & DH shortly after!
    I wasn't meeting the right type of guy. I was interested in a long-term relationship and looking to settle down and all the guys I was meeting were looking for something more casual. I did online dating (eHarmony) and met a lot of nice guys. None of them were exactly what I was looking for and I was ready to cancel my account. A friend suggested I give it another month and a few days later I was matched with DH.

Anniversary
  • jenna8984 said:
    @clogreeneyes I know it sounds cliche but you really do meet the right person at the most random and unexpected time and place. I left my hometown at 18, when I moved back at 25 I thought who the hell am I going to date- I know everyone in a 20 mile radius! Exaggeration but that's what it felt like. My high school best friend was still here and she had become good friends with a new girl from 30 minutes away. I started hanging out with them and getting to know the girl and we became close friends. She set up me & DH shortly after!
    I wasn't meeting the right type of guy. I was interested in a long-term relationship and looking to settle down and all the guys I was meeting were looking for something more casual. I did online dating (eHarmony) and met a lot of nice guys. None of them were exactly what I was looking for and I was ready to cancel my account. A friend suggested I give it another month and a few days later I was matched with DH.
    I met my FI on OK Cupid!  I will say I had terrible luck with JDate when I was 24 and single but after a LTR ended, I went on OK and 18 months later we are engaged!  It's all about how you word your profile too, I recently redid several of my friends profiles and they are doing much better online dating now!

• @lacqueredlover That's where I met my FI too. Someone said I needed to get on because it would be the most laughs I'd ever gotten.

FI is full of bad puns and finds it hilarious to just randomly tickle me. I guess they weren't exactly wrong, haha!
    French Canadians, especially in Montreal or Quebec, will not be any nicer to you for speaking English! If anything they might be worse as they are very very attached to anything French. However, any effort you make will be highly appreciated :) What I noticed in Paris is that they might not necessarily like to answer you in English but there are so many English speaking tourists that they don't seem to mind so much. Now if you're planning to live in France and can't speak French, that's a different story!
    It's much more of a Canadian vs American thing though.  If you're Canadian, Quebecers expect that we should all be able to speak French.  If they hear an American accent, they're much more happy to speak English cos they don't expect Americans to speak French.   

SITB

I agree that they are less "aggressive" when they realize you're just an 'Murican! Quebecers aredo love their French heritage and it's very ok in my opinion if they want to separate but not very realistic. Oh well, don't know if I'll ever be back in Quebec but for what it's worth, Montreal is a beautiful place.

@raissyrais: choisissez, s'il vous plait! 

Voila, le blanc: 

et aussi le rouge:

Vous choisissez le verre que vous voulez, et je bois l'autre. D'accord? :D

(Forgive that, it's probably a huge hot mess. I haven't spoken French in YEARS.)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • @lacqueredlover That's where I met my FI too. Someone said I needed to get on because it would be the most laughs I'd ever gotten.

FI is full of bad puns and finds it hilarious to just randomly tickle me. I guess they weren't exactly wrong, haha!
    French Canadians, especially in Montreal or Quebec, will not be any nicer to you for speaking English! If anything they might be worse as they are very very attached to anything French. However, any effort you make will be highly appreciated :) What I noticed in Paris is that they might not necessarily like to answer you in English but there are so many English speaking tourists that they don't seem to mind so much. Now if you're planning to live in France and can't speak French, that's a different story!

SITB

@raissyrais: choisissez, s'il vous plait! 

Voila, le blanc: 

et aussi le rouge:

Vous choisissez le verre que vous voulez, et je bois l'autre. D'accord? :D

(Forgive that, it's probably a huge hot mess. I haven't spoken French in YEARS.)
    Oui, je bois l'autre verre volontiers :)
    You're good dude, you're good!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards