Wedding 911

Kids at the Wedding...SOS!!

Re: Kids at the Wedding...SOS!!

• If it ain't white dress, tasteful updo'ed, bleached cookie cutter etiquette, Invisaligned, Crestwhited, Williams Sonoma registered, Pantone 7507 skin toned, kindly take that to OffBeat Bride or get married in the alleyway of whatever ethnic ghetto you clearly reside in.

Matey, your wedding should reflect you and your man's, not women who were married years ago and still haunt these threads. 

Haha I totally finished my invisaligns like 6 months into my engagement. I got them because I was hoping to get engaged and I didn't want crooked teeth.

That makes me giggle :) but no Williams Sonoma for me.

• @rodigsorange‌ I think you need to take a Xanax. There are POC on this board, myself included. There are also people who did not have a traditional cookie cutter wedding. Perhaps you should branch out and go on a few of the other boards to see for yourself.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Did I miss a full moon?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Looks like we got us a troll.

• If it ain't white dress, tasteful updo'ed, bleached cookie cutter etiquette, Invisaligned, Crestwhited, Williams Sonoma registered, Pantone 7507 skin toned, kindly take that to OffBeat Bride or get married in the alleyway of whatever ethnic ghetto you clearly reside in.

Matey, your wedding should reflect you and your man's, not women who were married years ago and still haunt these threads. 
    Oh for fuck's sake.

I don't care if your idea of a good wedding is coming down the aisle to Stars and Stripes Forever wearing a duck suit with a sparkler up your ass, ettiquete is not a "white people" thing, it's a "anyone who gives a shit about their loved ones" thing.

Well, there goes my duck suit idea.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

Haha I totally finished my invisaligns like 6 months into my engagement. I got them because I was hoping to get engaged and I didn't want crooked teeth. That makes me giggle :) but no Williams Sonoma for me.
    I have veneers. Is that better or worse?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2014
    If it ain't white dress, tasteful updo'ed, bleached cookie cutter etiquette, Invisaligned, Crestwhited, Williams Sonoma registered, Pantone 7507 skin toned, kindly take that to OffBeat Bride or get married in the alleyway of whatever ethnic ghetto you clearly reside in.

Hahahaha! Good one! 

This is just so far from the question of kids at the wedding! Why should the OP take this simple question to another forum? Who resides in an ethnic ghetto with alleys?
    I used to.  But I just moved to the suburbs.
  • I'm a designer and I still had to look up Pantone 7507.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    I am a WASP, and I am offended by the racism.  WASP does not just mean "white people", either.
    Since the original post is almost two months old, I assume the OP has solved her problem by now.  Let's not feed the troll.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    I am a WASP, and I am offended by the racism.  WASP does not just mean "white people", either.
    Since the original post is almost two months old, I assume the OP has solved her problem by now.  Let's not feed the troll.
    What does that mean?

• Viczaesar said:

CMGragain said:

What does that mean?

This was my question too. Do you know what the W stands for?
  • flantasticflantastic member
    edited December 2014
    Viczaesar said:
    CMGragain said:
    What does that mean?

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant (<- clicky)

ETA: i.e., more specific than "white people."

• Viczaesar said:
    CMGragain said:
    What does that mean?

I know what WASP means.  I was confused by her statement that "WASP does not just mean 'white people' either."  If she meant that the term refers also to a specific heritage and religious affiliation that makes more sense.

• Viczaesar said:
    Viczaesar said:
    CMGragain said:
    What does that mean?

I know what WASP means.  I was confused by her statement that "WASP does not just mean 'white people' either."  If she meant that the term refers also to a specific heritage and religious affiliation that makes more sense.
    Yeah, I think that's what CMGr was up to. I think the original poster who used "WASP" also intended that specificity to make us all out to be culturally homogeneous and uptight, because we just don't understaaaaand these snowflake types.
    edited December 2014
    I don't know the racial make up of most of you ladies, and it doesn't affect my opinions.  I think it very unfair that racial slurs such as "african american racist epithet", "mexican racist epithet" "asian racist epithet"  and "anti-semitic racist epithet" are taboo in our society, but calling out a WASP is OK. (Sorry for the language, but I don't know how else to make my point.)

My mother was very racist, and I was often embarrassed by her statements.  As a WASP, she objected to my dating anyone who wasn't strictly of northern European heritage AND protestant.   The term "white" includes southern European and eastern European people.  Needless to say, this whole attitude disgusts me, and I adore my bi-racial grandson!

*racist epithets removed by moderator.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited December 2014
    I don't know the racial make up of most of you ladies, and it doesn't affect my opinions.  I think it very unfair that racial slurs such as "african american racist epithet", "mexican racist epithet" "asian racist epithet"  and "anti-semitic racist epithet" are taboo in our society, but calling out a WASP is OK. (Sorry for the language, but I don't know how else to make my point.)

My mother was very racist, and I was often embarrassed by her statements.  As a WASP, she objected to my dating anyone who wasn't strictly of northern European heritage AND protestant.   The term "white" includes southern European and eastern European people.  Needless to say, this whole attitude disgusts me, and I adore my bi-racial grandson!
    If you cant understand the difference between calling someone a wasp and calling someone the n word, you should educate yourself a bit. Like are you serious with this?
    Yes.  The word WASP is a racial put down.  It has stereotype connotations that are very negative, such as snobbishness, rudeness and racism.  I see this portrayed often in movies and TV.  It is very offensive.  Perhaps you need to educate yourself about it?
    I taught school for many years in a district with 100% African American students.  You don't need to lecture me about the "n" word.  I miss those kids!

*racist epithets in quote removed by moderator
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014

Perhaps you should read up on the history behind the N word. You should not write that word out EVER. WASP does not compare to any of the words you chose to type. Jfc.

• beethery said:

Out of touch as ever.

Do not use those words on these boards. No matter your point. We all know the words, and we know it is not necessary to spell them out, no matter the point. I don't want to see that shit on here again, @CMGragain, you got me?

I don't care if the term WASP makes you uncomfortable. Especially if the only connotation it brings to you is that you are being referred to as a snobby, rude, racist. She could've called out those things straight out, I agree. But if you think that the other racist derogatory terms are even REMOTELY the same as being called a snobby racist, it just proves how out of touch you are.

As you allege yourself to have been an educator, you should know perfectly well that you can make your point without using INTENSELY horrible racist epithets. You should be ashamed of yourself. Do not use those words again.

Unbelievable. Your years as a substitute teacher that presided over largely African American students does not make you a white savior. Get a grip.

ETA: I removed the racist epithets used in CMGragain's post because they are absolutely unacceptable for use on this board.
    PREACH.

Formerly martha1818

• CMGragain said:

CMGragain said:

If you cant understand the difference between calling someone a wasp and calling someone the n word, you should educate yourself a bit. Like are you serious with this?

Yes.  The word WASP is a racial put down.  It has stereotype connotations that are very negative, such as snobbishness, rudeness and racism.  I see this portrayed often in movies and TV.  It is very offensive.  Perhaps you need to educate yourself about it?

I taught school for many years in a district with 100% African American students.  You don't need to lecture me about the "n" word.  I miss those kids!

Literally laughing out loud that you think I need to educate myself on this topic and not the other way around. Thanks for making my holiday!

Formerly martha1818

edited December 2014
    I do apologize if I have offended anyone.  It was my intention to clarify a point, not to insult anyone.
    Yes, WASP is very insulting.  We do not use it among ourselves.  It is only used as a racist put down word. You do not get to decide which racist words are insulting and which ones are not.  Please do not use this word, either.  Deal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Anglo-Saxon_Protestant

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    CMGragain said:
    I do apologize if I have offended anyone.  It was my intention to clarify a point, not to insult anyone.
    Yes, WASP is very insulting.  We do not use it among ourselves.  It is only used as a racist put down word. You do not get to decide which words are insulting and which ones are not.  Please do not use this word, either.  Deal?
    I certainly don't get to decide what is insulting and what isn't. That is absolutely correct. I'm fine with that. Too much pressure for me, personally.

I don't think the WASP term is necessary when a person can be referred to straight out as a racist, rude, snobby, pearl-clutcher. There are much better descriptors that can be applied individually instead of disparaging an entire swath of people based on their racial, socio-econominal, or religious background.

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

edited December 2014
    Thank you.  That was exactly my point.

PS.  I love my pearls.  ;-)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Your comments are straight up disgusting, CMG.
    Anniversary

• No where in the link that CMG provided was it stated that WASP is a racist l term. It says it's an informal term SOMETIMES disparaging. I've heard people call themselves WASPs, and have said it's more a socioeconomic thing. I think in this context it was very rude to say but to compare it to the N word? AND to spell it out????

• hellohkb said:
    No where in the link that CMG provided was it stated that WASP is a racist l term. It says it's an informal term SOMETIMES disparaging. I've heard people call themselves WASPs, and have said it's more a socioeconomic thing. I think in this context it was very rude to say but to compare it to the N word? AND to spell it out????
    Yup. WASP and the other racial epithets are not even remotely close. I looked it up in the dictionary and I STILL didn't find anything with racist connotations.

Pearls can be given a fucking rest, here. There's no need for that shit, and the comparison made NO SENSE.

Oh my god, SOMEONE CALLED ME WHITE!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• CMGragain said:
    Yes, WASP is very insulting.  We do not use it among ourselves.  It is only used as a racist put down word. You do not get to decide which racist words are insulting and which ones are not.  Please do not use this word, either.  Deal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Anglo-Saxon_Protestant

And you do not get to speak for all white Anglo-Saxon Protestants.  I know quite a few who don't have a problem with the term WASP and use it to describe themselves.  It does not have the same connotation as the words that (I cannot believe) you typed out.  

Please, for the love of all starburst candies, don't use the 'I used to know and like black people' argument to justify anything at all again, ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards