Snarky Brides
Options

Facebook overshare snark

Re: Facebook overshare snark

• Options
    mj8215 said:

My feed is currently flooded with repeated posts from a guy who lives in the town I grew up in saying something like "Wedding countdown! Please do not forget to RSVP! Date, time, place of wedding" :O WTF is wrong with people?? He has > 400 Facebook friends!! I can't even!! And I don't believe for a second he has special privacy settings that only allow certain people to see this...I see it all and I'm definitely not close with him and have never hung out with him (only know him through mutual acquaintances). The sad part is that a lot of people are commenting with "I didn't get my invitation in the mail! this is my mailing address: ... "

I have a friend who did a Facebook event for her wedding coming up this March. She did still send out actual invites, but man her fb event is a hot mess. From telling us gifts aren't necessary, but here's where we are registered. Asked men not to wear white button up shirts. Had a few people complaining about not getting their invites in the mail. Keeps bossing everyone about once a week to get their RSVP's in and/or people aren't responding correctly. I have not looked into wedding invitations yet, but isn't their normally a response card to mail back even if its a buffet? Their invites they made themselves (which I think it's cool they made them themselves) look like a child's birthday party invite and the way to rsvp is by phone or email. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Her complaint is people are just verbally telling her in person they're coming. Of course it keeps getting better...today she just posted if you did not get an invite that means you're invited to the dance at this time and location..

Won't even get into her etiquette blunders of her wedding itself and my FI helping plan the bachelor party who is not in the wedding party since this isn't the etiquette board.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My feed is currently flooded with repeated posts from a guy who lives in the town I grew up in saying something like "Wedding countdown! Please do not forget to RSVP! Date, time, place of wedding" :O WTF is wrong with people?? He has > 400 Facebook friends!! I can't even!! And I don't believe for a second he has special privacy settings that only allow certain people to see this...I see it all and I'm definitely not close with him and have never hung out with him (only know him through mutual acquaintances). The sad part is that a lot of people are commenting with "I didn't get my invitation in the mail! this is my mailing address: ... "

I have a friend who did a Facebook event for her wedding coming up this March. She did still send out actual invites, but man her fb event is a hot mess. From telling us gifts aren't necessary, but here's where we are registered. Asked men not to wear white button up shirts. Had a few people complaining about not getting their invites in the mail. Keeps bossing everyone about once a week to get their RSVP's in and/or people aren't responding correctly. I have not looked into wedding invitations yet, but isn't their normally a response card to mail back even if its a buffet? Their invites they made themselves (which I think it's cool they made them themselves) look like a child's birthday party invite and the way to rsvp is by phone or email. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Her complaint is people are just verbally telling her in person they're coming. Of course it keeps getting better...today she just posted if you did not get an invite that means you're invited to the dance at this time and location.. Won't even get into her etiquette blunders of her wedding itself and my FI helping plan the bachelor party who is not in the wedding party since this isn't the etiquette board.
    lolwhat? who does that?
  • Options
    So one of my best friends is married to a trashy guy. I'm talking no teeth former crack addict redneck. He cannot support my friend and their two children, so my friend's mother bought them a house and a car.

They signed up their older son for skating and I just saw a FB status about the child missing his first lesson. In the comments, my friend actually posted the reason: Her husband didn't get paid. 

I feel so embarrassed for my friend. #boundaries #nobodyneedstoknow 
  • Options

I have a friend who did a Facebook event for her wedding coming up this March. She did still send out actual invites, but man her fb event is a hot mess. From telling us gifts aren't necessary, but here's where we are registered. Asked men not to wear white button up shirts. Had a few people complaining about not getting their invites in the mail. Keeps bossing everyone about once a week to get their RSVP's in and/or people aren't responding correctly. I have not looked into wedding invitations yet, but isn't their normally a response card to mail back even if its a buffet? Their invites they made themselves (which I think it's cool they made them themselves) look like a child's birthday party invite and the way to rsvp is by phone or email. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Her complaint is people are just verbally telling her in person they're coming. Of course it keeps getting better...today she just posted if you did not get an invite that means you're invited to the dance at this time and location.. Won't even get into her etiquette blunders of her wedding itself and my FI helping plan the bachelor party who is not in the wedding party since this isn't the etiquette board.
    lolwhat? who does that?

Haha right....tempting to try to get FI to wear one but I don't think he would.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My mom has been oversharing about my wedding on FB! :( It's driving me insane. I just don't like the details of my wedding being posted for people I don't even know and people I do know who aren't invited to the wedding to see! I don't know a nice way to ask her to stop. I appreciate that she's excited but... :-/
  • Options
    jellybeannjellybeann member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    One of my fb friends from college posted the link to her wedding website to her whole fb friends list! She has like over 1000 friends and her wedding isn't until July 2016. Too soon, too much sharing. ETA: looked on their website and it is just too much. Complete with the full paragraphs about their wedding party and a 5 hour gap between their noon Catholic ceremony and reception :( I'm not super close to her otherwise I'd be trying to steer her this way
  • Options
    My mom has been oversharing about my wedding on FB! :( It's driving me insane. I just don't like the details of my wedding being posted for people I don't even know and people I do know who aren't invited to the wedding to see! I don't know a nice way to ask her to stop. I appreciate that she's excited but... :-/
    "Mom, I understand that you are excited about my wedding and I love you for that. However, I would like to keep the details private and off social media." 
  • Options
    SITB

I have a facebook friend from high school who over the past few weeks has posted links to her engagement pics 3 different times, "in case you missed them!!!!!!" Sigh. Her most recent post, however, takes the cake - it's all about how she's so happy because her maid of honor is "made for planning" and "can make the impossible happen." In the comments, I kid you not, the MOH responds - "No need to thank me - it's my job."
    Face palm.
  • Options
    NoneForUs said:
    "Mom, I understand that you are excited about my wedding and I love you for that. However, I would like to keep the details private and off social media." 
    That sounds very civil. Thanks NoneForUs! :)
  • Options
    I have a friend from high school who is currently sharing everything from venue links, dresses and of course a photo of their guest list. I just want to slap her. She's on welfare, constantly posts about not being able to afford car insurance or gas, most recently begged people for Christmas presents for her kids... yet they can afford their dream wedding.
  • Options
    MandyMostMandyMost member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    skyhigh27 said:
    I have a friend from high school who is currently sharing everything from venue links, dresses and of course a photo of their guest list. I just want to slap her. She's on welfare, constantly posts about not being able to afford car insurance or gas, most recently begged people for Christmas presents for her kids... yet they can afford their dream wedding.
    I don't care how much money people have or what they choose to spend it on. You want to live in a cardboard box and throw a 50k wedding? Fine by me. But for all that is holy, DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT MONEY WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY TALKING ABOUT SPENDING IT ON NEEDLESS THINGS. Needless, as in anything other than life-sustaining food and shelter. Don't talk about how poor you are while I'm at your kid's birthday party with a bouncy house!

Or even worse, don't tell me you can't do something with me because of the money while I'm at your kid's birthday party with a bouncy house. It's fine. You chose to spend the money on that instead of on something else. It's fine. But you shouldn't go around saying you "can't afford it" while you're spending a ton on other things. Just come up with another reason!
  • Options
    NoneForUsNoneForUs member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2015
    MandyMost said: skyhigh27 said: I have a friend from high school who is currently sharing everything from venue links, dresses and of course a photo of their guest list. I just want to slap her. She's on welfare, constantly posts about not being able to afford car insurance or gas, most recently begged people for Christmas presents for her kids... yet they can afford their dream wedding. I don't care how much money people have or what they choose to spend it on. You want to live in a cardboard box and throw a 50k wedding? Fine by me. But for all that is holy, DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT MONEY WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY TALKING ABOUT SPENDING IT ON NEEDLESS THINGS. Needless, as in anything other than life-sustaining food and shelter. Don't talk about how poor you are while I'm at your kid's birthday party with a bouncy house!
    Or even worse, don't tell me you can't do something with me because of the money while I'm at your kid's birthday party with a bouncy house. It's fine. You chose to spend the money on that instead of on something else. It's fine. But you shouldn't go around saying you "can't afford it" while you're spending a ton on other things. Just come up with another reason!

Here's a reason these types never want to admit: They complain about being poor and spend what they have on stupid things
    because they are damn fools. 
  • Options
    One of my fb friends from college posted the link to her wedding website to her whole fb friends list! She has like over 1000 friends and her wedding isn't until July 2016. Too soon, too much sharing. ETA: looked on their website and it is just too much. Complete with the full paragraphs about their wedding party and a 5 hour gap between their noon Catholic ceremony and reception :( I'm not super close to her otherwise I'd be trying to steer her this way
    Two people I know through professional contact who happen to be fb friends (I generally don't like to be friends on fb with other professionals but it's hard to decline their request and not look rude if they find me) have posted their wedding website links in the past few months. It's totally strange. I always end up looking at them. One couple registered for bathroom de-odorizing spray. 

They also have their online RSVP enabled, so I guess I can just consider myself invited and RSVP, right? 
  • Options
    Ugh, my oversharer on FB has posted that she secured her wedding photographer. And that they gave her a gift. "Great news! We secured our wedding photographer! Look at this amazing gift they gave us for booking! I'm so happy!" ... was there a hit and miss if you were going to get your wedding photographer secured? YOUR WEDDING IS 18 MONTHS AWAY! *cries*

My other oversharer made a status last night about "I'm just going to put this here: I'm sorry if you're offended that you're not invited to my wedding. It's a small wedding with just family and a few friends. I won't apologize for having the wedding I want." ...Nice.

• Options
    Ugh, my oversharer on FB has posted that she secured her wedding photographer. And that they gave her a gift. "Great news! We secured our wedding photographer! Look at this amazing gift they gave us for booking! I'm so happy!" ... was there a hit and miss if you were going to get your wedding photographer secured? YOUR WEDDING IS 18 MONTHS AWAY! *cries*

My other oversharer made a status last night about "I'm just going to put this here: I'm sorry if you're offended that you're not invited to my wedding. It's a small wedding with just family and a few friends. I won't apologize for having the wedding I want." ...Nice.
    The joke is maybe nobody wants to come to her  small wedding in the first place. People often overestimate how much others think of them. 
  • Options

FI has a cousin that had a baby 8 months ago. Her posts consist of: 1- she's an antivaxxer. Enough said. 2- she labored for 3 days NATURALLY. She loves to post her labor story at any opportunity she gets. "I'm sure your day was tough. I labored for 68 hrs to have Baby K. It was the best and worst thing ever!" 3- she's also breast feeding. And posts pictures of him feeding. ALL THE TIME. TO HER 1,200 FB FRIENDS. Wtf? And uses hash tags like #feedwithoutfear. 4- she's a cosleeper with the baby IN the bed with her. Not in a bassinet nearby. In the bed with her. She has no plans of ever moving him out. "I can never kick him out of my bed. We'll cosleep for as long as we can. He's my world!" I finally had to hide her. If I saw her tit one more time, I was going to lose my shit.
    Isn't this dangerous? Like couldn't you possibly roll on top of the baby and suffocate them to death by accident? I snuggle right up against my SO for his warmth, I could not see this turning out well if I did this with a kid.
    It is a danger, there have been documented cases of smothering and such.  SUPPOSEDLY, March of Dimes also found a link b/w co-sleeping and SIDS, but I dunno.  I don't like babies, so I can't imagine having one in my bed.  FFS, I need some ALONE time.  I feel sorry for this woman's husband.  That baby / toddler / grade schooler in the bed is going to put a major damper on their sex life, I'd bet.

I know many people who co-sleep. Depends on the people and how you can sleep. Many of my friends have said they sleep differently with baby in bed.
    These are also people who breastfeed and it's easier in general. Many do say they'll never not cosleep, but eventually do put them out of the bed.
    Posting the pictures on facebook should be fine, it's more a statement issue about breastfeeding and how for awhile it was being considered nude pictures or something along that line.
  • Options
    Site being evil for me and can't quote stuff ...
    @MandyMost
    about your post for friends in diff dresses .... why are people bitching? Did they not see Sex and the City movie? All girls wore diff dresses! :D Besides, as everyone says, it's your day. Your girls, your decisions. I'm sure they were fine with it :)
  • Options
    I try vastly hard not to post too much about my wedding because I heard one of my bridesmaids bitch about 2 people who over share. I keep family and wedding party personally up-to-date, but everyone else on fb I really hold back.
    What'd i do? I post on a blog. I basically mass update when stuff is happening, that way if they wanna see info about my wedding they get it all in one place. Don't wanna see it? Don't go to blog.

I get these brides who post a lot, it's exciting. I'm excited. But knowing how people feel about when others do it forces me to hold back.
  • Options
    I try vastly hard not to post too much about my wedding because I heard one of my bridesmaids bitch about 2 people who over share. I keep family and wedding party personally up-to-date, but everyone else on fb I really hold back.
    What'd i do? I post on a blog. I basically mass update when stuff is happening, that way if they wanna see info about my wedding they get it all in one place. Don't wanna see it? Don't go to blog.

I get these brides who post a lot, it's exciting. I'm excited. But knowing how people feel about when others do it forces me to hold back.
    What kind of details are you putting on your blog? Blogging about wedding planning and then posting your blog on fb does not seem like holding back. 
  • Options
    a FB friend of mine just posted something today along the lines of "anyone want to recommend a good OB/GYN? I'm not pregnant but just want to have a good relationship with a doctor for when that happens... maybe soon"

File under: is Facebook really the best place to ask that question?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I have to question the confidence of FB overshares. I mean, is their life really that pathetic that they only get praise from people who really don't give a shit about them or their lives? My MOH posted once a week about her wedding planning process and if I'm being honest it was one of the worst weddings I've ever been to... I could have planned her wedding with the worst hangover in my life in two phone calls while I'm hugging the toilet. I can't wait to hear about this other friends train wreck wedding (it'll be her fourth wedding IF it happens), tonight she's asking for theme ideas: as in putting her wedding party into Star War's outfits.
  • Options
    Awwwwwwwww yes.

My #1 wedding oversharer has moved her wedding up (Shocker. Not.) to November. That'll cut out 7 months of my agony. Woo.

• Options
    I've been watching this trainwreck for the past few months, I didn't think it could get worse, but...

There's this girl that I'm not friends with, but one of my friends is in her bridal party.  The girl posts a status every single day about her wedding and tags all of her bridesmaids.  Around Christmas she made a status saying "If you want to be invited to my bridal shower send me your address."  A week later she told everyone to send their addresses immediately for her shower; in the comments she stated the shower will be in July. Monday she posted a status that said "I wish I could die because getting engaged was a mistake." Yesterday there was a picture of her engagement ring followed by a status saying "Wedding planning is going great, can't wait till September." 

Is it bad that I purposely keep going to the friend's page to see what psycho bride has tagged her in this week?
    @speakeasy14.....this bride sounds eerily similar to the one who I just dropped out as a bridesmaid for. Not quite the same, but posts a status every day about wedding planning ("cake tasting!", "my first bridal show!" "etc.), tags all of her bridesmaids fairly regularly, planning her own shower, having relationship problems (I know from the groom who I am better friends with....), and focusing all of her time and energy into wedding planning. She is also getting married in September.....I think these two would be great friends. 

• Options

What kind of details are you putting on your blog? Blogging about wedding planning and then posting your blog on fb does not seem like holding back. 
    Depends on what's happening. Obviously not my dress, but I talk about personal thoughts and maybe some tips to help others in future {currently talking about budgeting}
    I don't actually post many things about the wedding as a facebook status, which I see many people do. At least the blog - which I tend to do at least once a month with all the things that happened, unless nothing happens then i don't post - it's optional if people want to be informed.

It'll be 6 months until the wedding on Feb 1st, I am not gonna post "omg 6 months left!" or whatever. People don't need a countdown lol
  • Options
    peachy13 said:
    a FB friend of mine just posted something today along the lines of "anyone want to recommend a good OB/GYN? I'm not pregnant but just want to have a good relationship with a doctor for when that happens... maybe soon"

File under: is Facebook really the best place to ask that question?
    I found my lady doc on Yelp.
  • Options
    My cousin tops the over sharer list on my Facebook. All 3 of her children have their own facebook page (the youngest is less then a year and has had a page since 3 days after being born). 

She is one of those people who constantly posts things like "OMG worst day of my life" then when someone asks whats wrong she says "oh I can't talk about it over Facebook" WHY EVEN SAY ANYTHING!!! 

She planned her wedding for one month after her 2nd baby was due then made a comment about how the happiest day of her life is in exactly 3 months(she was talking about the wedding not the baby) For some reason I always thought baby trumped wedding, seeing how a wedding is one day and a baby is forever but thats just my opinion.
  • Options
    My worst FB experience is a girl I know through my brief church phase 9 years ago.... she ended up getting married at age 23 and her husband entered the military.  With no disrespect to military families, she spent the next 2 years posting statuses and memes that would say things like, "I support my soldier!!!!" She posted these about 5x per week.

After that phase- she had two kids- 1 year apart from each other.  This launched her new phase of mom statuses.  Every photo of them always had to say something like, "My life was empty without them.... and now my heart and life are full..... nothing like being a mom."  As if my life is empty without kids.  I want kids- but my life is still wonderful until then.  She posted these statuses in a similar quantity to the military ones.

Recently (she unfriended me because I spoke out too much about her giving up puppies after having kids and didn't agree with her politics) I heard her husband and her on the rocks. I still check her Facebook from time to time (the stuff I can see- cover photo and profile photos) and I notice any time I hear from friends her marriage is getting crappy, she'll change her cover photo to graphics that say something like, "Everlasting love........ I couldn't be more blessed."  It's always when I hear she's having marital issues.

*sigh*  I'm honestly sad she unfriended me as the train wreck was fascinating to watch- but relieved as I would get enraged for no reason upon reading her statuses. It worked out for the best.
  • Options
    Oh one more vent... is it only my Facebook... or is suddenly EVERYONE losing weight and not just losing weight- but then becoming "consultants" or "mentors" for whatever "diet/program" they used? My feed is filled with "Hard to believe a year ago I had no energy- and this year I'm a new happier me I never believed I could be! Join me on this journey!!!!"  It's sickening.  My Facebook is filled with statuses that are really advertisements for selling oils, makeup/nail stuff, and diet products.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards