Chit Chat
Options

Baby It's Cold Outside

My favorite song of the season. I thought I'd share this super cute rendition by Idina Menzel and Michael Buble, with their childlike counterparts performing! It made me smile.

http://elitedaily.com/music/watch-idina-menzel-michael-buble-amazing-baby-cold-outside-duet/852057/

image   image   image

Re: Baby It's Cold Outside

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    Ummm, yeah, the overtly date rape-y aspect of this song is a big turnoff for me.
    Yeah, this song has always skeezed me out. Sorry.

Anniversary
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    Ummm, yeah, the overtly date rape-y aspect of this song is a big turnoff for me.
    Word, sista.

But also, I am a big old grinch and despise ALL holiday/christmas music.
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    @ashley8918 Oh, I love the SHIT out of Christmas music. I've been listening to it in the car for like two days straight now. This song, in particular, makes me want to rage, though. 

I get SO FUCKING SAD, too, because Bing Crosby was such a child abusing degenerate, and his songs are my favorites. :( 
  • Options
    I love Christmas music but this song skeeves me out.

I greatly prefer these two:

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Nothing beats Sarah McLachlan and Bare Naked Ladies, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.
    omfg YUSSSSSS I LOVE THAT VERSION
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Nothing like Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas).  His entire Christmas album is amazing.  I also like Brenda Lee and Elvis's Christmas Album as well.  
    I love the old time Christmas songs.  Don't really care for the modern ones.
  • Options
    I still love "Baby It's Cold Outside" in spite of its date rapey-ness.  But the Menzel and Buble version actually changes some of the lyrics to eliminate the creepiness-- yay!  They leave out the bits about cigarettes and drinks (it's "maybe just a soda pop more" instead) and substituted something else for, "Hey, what's in this drink?"  I love it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Damn it! It's stuck in my head! Make it stoooooooooop!
  • Options
    Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Say, was that a wink?

Loved it. It was cute and different.

image   image   image

• Options
    Dat rapey-ness aside, I love that song.  It's one of my favorite Christmas songs.  But then again, I'm Jewish
  • Options
    I actually LOVE Last Christmas by WHAM! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I still love "Baby It's Cold Outside" in spite of its date rapey-ness.  But the Menzel and Buble version actually changes some of the lyrics to eliminate the creepiness-- yay!  They leave out the bits about cigarettes and drinks (it's "maybe just a soda pop more" instead) and substituted something else for, "Hey, what's in this drink?"  I love it.
    I'll have to check this out! I would like the song if not for the skeeze factor. 
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014

Isn't there a Lady Gaga version where she sings the man's part and Joseph Gordon-Levitt sings the female's part?

edited: I found it on Youtube but I don't know how to post videos.

• Options
    I'm a dork I guess... I like instrumental versions of Christmas songs. I'm big on Ottmar Liebert and Itzhak Perlman.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'm a dork I guess... I like instrumental versions of Christmas songs. I'm big on Ottmar Liebert and Itzhak Perlman.

@southernbelle0915 download Scott D. Davis, album Winter Journey. It's instrumental and it's so fucking beautiful, I'm obsessed with it.

• Options
    Oh, I really like that version, but then I've always enjoyed that song. I never really got the date rapey-ness vibe from it though. I always thought she was implying that the drink was delicious and she wanted to know what was in it. Like when I was at a friend's place last week and asked her what she used to make her rum punch so good.
  • Options
    Simky906 said:
    Oh, I really like that version, but then I've always enjoyed that song. I never really got the date rapey-ness vibe from it though. I always thought she was implying that the drink was delicious and she wanted to know what was in it. Like when I was at a friend's place last week and asked her what she used to make her rum punch so good.
    Ditto!  
  • Options
    Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Mannheim Steamroller. All day.

• Options
    Simky906 said:
    Have you ever actually read the lyrics? It's like a date rape anthem. All she wants to do is leave, and he keeps saying shit about her being unfair to him, and pouring her more drinks, etc. etc. Here (bolded for WTF???????): 

I really can't stay - Baby it's cold outside
    I've got to go away - Baby it's cold outside
    This evening has been - Been hoping that you'd drop in
    So very nice - I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice
    My mother will start to worry - Beautiful, what's your hurry
    My father will be pacing the floor - Listen to the fireplace roar
    So really I'd better scurry - Beautiful, please don't hurry
    Well Maybe just a half a drink more - Put some music on while I pour

The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there
    Say, what's in this drink - No cabs to be had out there
    I wish I knew how - Your eyes are like starlight now
    To break this spell - I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell
    I ought to say no, no, no, sir - Mind if I move a little closer
    At least I'm gonna say that I tried - What's the sense in hurting my pride
    I really can't stay - Baby don't hold out
    Ahh, but it's cold outside

C'mon baby

I simply must go - Baby, it's cold outside
    The answer is no - Ooh baby, it's cold outside
    This welcome has been - I'm lucky that you dropped in
    So nice and warm -- Look out the window at that storm
    My sister will be suspicious - Man, your lips look so delicious
    My brother will be there at the door - Waves upon a tropical shore
    My maiden aunt's mind is vicious - Gosh your lips look delicious
    Well maybe just a half a drink more - Never such a blizzard before

I've got to go home - Oh, baby, you'll freeze out there
    Say, lend me your comb - It's up to your knees out there
    You've really been grand - Your eyes are like starlight now
    But don't you see - How can you do this thing to me
    There's bound to be talk tomorrow - Making my life long sorrow
    At least there will be plenty implied - If you caught pneumonia and died
    I really can't stay - Get over that old out
    Ahh, but it's cold outside

Baby it's cold outside

Brr its cold...
    It's cold out there
    Cant you stay awhile longer baby
    Well... I really shouldn't... alright

Make it worth your while baby
    Ahh, do that again...

• Options
    Have you seen TSO in concert?  AH-MAY-ZING.

Personally I also like faith-based Christmas songs.  MercyMe has a good Christmas album with a great reflection on Joseph.
  • Options
    Have you seen TSO in concert?  AH-MAY-ZING.

Personally I also like faith-based Christmas songs.  MercyMe has a good Christmas album with a great reflection on Joseph.
    Twice!

• Options
    Not really a fan of holiday music but the Leevees (which is one of the guys from Guster and another from The Zamboni's) put out a hilarious Hanukkah album about 8 years ago since other than the dreidl song, no one knew any Hanukkah songs,  with such hits like:

Gelt Melts
    How Do You Spell Hanukkah
    Applesauce Vs Sour Cream
    The Latke Clan

lolo883 they actually toured with Barenaked Ladies on their holiday tour in 2006 and I saw them and it was hilarious!  

• Options
    If a woman says "No, I really don't think I should stay," the guy should be like "OK, that's cool." To try to persuade her to stay, ply her with drinks, try to actually guilt her into staying there AND making it completely, blatantly obvious that he wants to fuck her and she's going to make him sad if she doesn't stay so he can do so, that is NOT OK. 

I'm actually shocked that there are people in this thread that think there's nothing wrong with this song or the message in it. Although I guess in a society where we have to debate what "legitimate rape" is, I shouldn't be that surprised. 

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    If a woman says "No, I really don't think I should stay," the guy should be like "OK, that's cool." To try to persuade her to stay, ply her with drinks, try to actually guilt her into staying there AND making it completely, blatantly obvious that he wants to fuck her and she's going to make him sad if she doesn't stay so he can do so, that is NOT OK. 

I'm actually shocked that there are people in this thread that think there's nothing wrong with this song or the message in it. Although I guess in a society where we have to debate what "legitimate rape" is, I shouldn't be that surprised. 

I guess I don't see anything wrong with it because it is a fucking song.  I don't over analyze songs in general, because they are songs.  They are just supposed to be fun things you can sing along to. If we analyzed every song out there we would be left with nothing to listen to because I am sure that any song out there could possibly offend or suggest things that people are not comfortable with.
    Yeah, there's a huge, massive difference between nitpicking every single song for things that could possibly be offensive to someone on earth, and taking issue with a song that overtly, very fucking clearly talks about a date rape situation. 

Enjoy the song all you want. Nobody's stopping you. But we have a problem talking about rape, reporting rape, identifying what is and is not rape, etc., because of attitudes like this. "Oh, it's just harmless." So, what, the girl in the song should just capitulate with his desires because it's cold outside? Because he's being so charming? Because he made her a drink? Because he asked nicely? 

No means no. Always. Even in fucking Christmas songs. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards