Chit Chat

Ferguson

Anyone else trying to follow this tonight? H and I just got home and I'm trying to catch up .... Thoughts?

Re: Ferguson

• We are watching.     I'm not at all surprised there would be trouble tonight.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • H has the Rockets / Knocks game on, so I'm watching / reading online. I just hope the area stays safe.
  • I'm not surprised either. I do hope there is some transparency in how the grand jury arrived at that conclusion and what evidence was presented, since I don't trust the media coverage.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We have been watching as well. I hope no one is injured tonight. I'm not surprised by the verdict. I hope things don't escalate any further than this. How is violence the answer?
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Really, you are breaking into Beauty World?   

I get being upset, I do not understand vandalizing Beauty World.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I just really hope everyone is safe tonight...
    *********************************************************************************

• Is they national guard there?   I can't the Ferguson police being effective on their own.

• The pictures so far are just unbelievable. You want to be respected, be respectful. Respectful does not equal agreeing with. But dear lord, they sure are a sad group of people to behave this way.

image   image   image

• I thought the statement from the Brown family was classy.
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014

I haven't watched the news but I read the NYT story on the grand jury verdict.  Personally I feel he should have been indicted, from my understanding of the situation and very limited understanding of criminal law.  I think there is plenty of evidence for an indictment.

I'm not surprised either.

I wish the citizens would have some motivation to aspire in changing how their town is (without rioting!). Aspire to apply to the police academy, make it through and graduate, and become a part of your towns police force and be the CHANGE you want to see.

@SugarGirl1019 I think we can all agree we'd like to see the anger directed somewhere useful, no question.  But I find your statement that the protesters should join the police a bit naive and I think this is part of what creates a gulf of misunderstanding in situations like this.  Put yourself in the shoes of a young black man in Ferguson.  I won't go into the social and media stereotyping you've grown up with because I don't think there's a real argument that it doesn't exist.  You have every reason to believe the police and the justice system do not value your life because of the color of your skin, your gender, and your age.  You have just watched a police officer get away with shooting an unarmed young black man, in broad daylight in front of witnesses, without any charges even being filed.  You firmly believe, with reason, that the justice system is actively bigoted against you.  What part of that even remotely adds up to "become a police officer?"  Become a lawyer?  Maybe, if you are privileged enough to access to the right education.  Become a local politician?  Get active in your church or community group?  Sure.  But when you see active, violent discrimination against your racial group on a frequent basis, I don't think joining the police is really a rational goal.

I truly don't understand why someone doesn't think, "I don't like how the police treat my people, I think it's because I'm black. I'm going to change how the police force works and how my people view the police force by aspiring to become a police officer". I'm not trying to be elitist white or anything, I'm just offering a way these people could make a huge change for their town, but no one is. And of course the things you brought up are very reasonable reasons for why they are not joining the police force.

image   image   image

• This is absolutely scary right now.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Not to mention, when you feel like the system wants you dead and considers you criminal you are probably fairly certain that they do not want you as a part of them. I don't think the answer is as simple as saying become a police officer.
  • I haven't watched the news but I read the NYT story on the grand jury verdict.  Personally I feel he should have been indicted, from my understanding of the situation and very limited understanding of criminal law.  I think there is plenty of evidence for an indictment.

I'm not surprised either. I wish the citizens would have some motivation to aspire in changing how their town is (without rioting!). Aspire to apply to the police academy, make it through and graduate, and become a part of your towns police force and be the CHANGE you want to see.
    @SugarGirl1019 I think we can all agree we'd like to see the anger directed somewhere useful, no question.  But I find your statement that the protesters should join the police a bit naive and I think this is part of what creates a gulf of misunderstanding in situations like this.  Put yourself in the shoes of a young black man in Ferguson.  I won't go into the social and media stereotyping you've grown up with because I don't think there's a real argument that it doesn't exist.  You have every reason to believe the police and the justice system do not value your life because of the color of your skin, your gender, and your age.  You have just watched a police officer get away with shooting an unarmed young black man, in broad daylight in front of witnesses, without any charges even being filed.  You firmly believe, with reason, that the justice system is actively bigoted against you.  What part of that even remotely adds up to "become a police officer?"  Become a lawyer?  Maybe, if you are privileged enough to access to the right education.  Become a local politician?  Get active in your church or community group?  Sure.  But when you see active, violent discrimination against your racial group on a frequent basis, I don't think joining the police is really a rational goal.
    I truly don't understand why someone doesn't think, "I don't like how the police treat my people, I think it's because I'm black. I'm going to change how the police force works and how my people view the police force by aspiring to become a police officer". I'm not trying to be elitist white or anything, I'm just offering a way these people could make a huge change for their town, but no one is. And of course the things you brought up are very reasonable reasons for why they are not joining the police force.
    It's not weird that you don't understand white privilege. I didn't either before I took some courses in sociology. It's a really interesting/intriguing/sad concept. I don't pretend to "get it" 100% because I am white and as much as I get it from a logical perspective, I grew up with it. So I can't really pretend to understand as much as I want to.

It's not easy to see something as sensitive as race from someone else's perspective.
    *********************************************************************************

• The pictures so far are just unbelievable. You want to be respected, be respectful. Respectful does not equal agreeing with. But dear lord, they sure are a sad group of people to behave this way.
    I would never condone violence, but it would do us all good to hop off of our regal, white privilege, high horses and try to understand. Like @Daria24 said, they have tried doing things the "respectful" (fucking eyeroll) way. IT. DIDN'T. WORK. Clearly, what is happening there is not right, I'm certain that they feel like there is no other way to get people to pay attention. And guess what? It's working. People are paying attention, and they are seeing what the people of Ferguson have been seeing all this time. Horrible injustice, among other things.

Calling them a sad group of people for wanting to be heard? What an ignorant thing to say. Good god.
  • @lc07 yes, sad as in upset. It is heartbreaking seeing people arrested, thrown on the ground for their behavior, those who had tear gas used on them, and also the destruction of property. It is such a sad scene. I pray that everyone may go home to their families tonight.

As a nurse, it hurts to see people in all kinds of pain.

image   image   image

I would never condone violence, but it would do us all good to hop off of our regal, white privilege, high horses and try to understand. Like @Daria24 said, they have tried doing things the "respectful" (fucking eyeroll) way. IT. DIDN'T. WORK. Clearly, what is happening there is not right, I'm certain that they feel like there is no other way to get people to pay attention. And guess what? It's working. People are paying attention, and they are seeing what the people of Ferguson have been seeing all this time. Horrible injustice, among other things.

Calling them a sad group of people for wanting to be heard? What an ignorant thing to say. Good god.

Sorry for what you think I said, you misunderstood my use of sad.

image   image   image

• I thought the statement from the Brown family was classy.
    I agree. I can't imagine how they are feeling right now, but they reacted in exactly the right way: with disgust, but not disrespect (i.e. "fuck you, grand jury!").
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    "I truly don't understand why someone doesn't think, "I don't like how the police treat my people, I think it's because I'm black. I'm going to change how the police force works and how my people view the police force by aspiring to become a police officer". I'm not trying to be elitist white or anything, I'm just offering a way these people could make a huge change for their town, but no one is. And of course the things you brought up are very reasonable reasons for why they are not joining the police force."
    ---------------------------------------------------------- BOXES

It's awesome that we have come so far that we feel like everyone SHOULD have equal rights by now. The truth is, that we don't. I am a white female who has been in serious relationships with men of other ethnicities and have experienced racism up front and in my face and violently while in their company. So I cannot imagine what others who are in those peoples shoes deal with on a daily basis. While it might be hard to imagine, it might not be POSSIBLE to join the police force there, even if you wanted to. Completely a conjecture. But to say that "no one is doing it" is just not fair. How do you know what people have tried to do there?

ETA: BOXES ARE FUCKED.

• lyndausvi said:
    Is they national guard there?   I can't the Ferguson police being effective on their own.
    I've been trying to figure this out as well, and I really can't tell. They should be. I don't think that FPD can handle this (again).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards