Chit Chat
Options

Ferguson

Re: Ferguson

• Options
    @Fran1985, let me get this straight .... we are (justifiably) upset that a man who shot Michael Brown will not have a truly fair trial.  And the police officer most likely shot Brown based on the color of his skin and what other people with the same skin color have done.  

Yet, it seems that you think it's justified for my friend to get crap based on what other people in his line of work have done when he has done nothing wrong?
  • Options

In my mind, using this particular case to bolster a conversation about police profiling, violence, brutality and overt racism (which are alive and well).... it's not the best. The evidence - even that commissioned by the family - didn't exactly paint a picture of an officer shooting an innocent guy just because race.

However, I strongly believe this conversation (the bigger conversation) really needed to happen and it needs to keep on happening. No parent should have to have "the talk" with their child. And I don't mean "the sex talk". People who think racism isn't alive and well are ignorantly living in a bubble of privilege. That said, though, I'm actually pretty disappointed that THIS was the case that got so much press, attention, and activism when the evidence doesn't 100% support it.

There are a lot of stats and cases that DO prop up this debate. There are all kinds of happenings that ARE strong enough to show the people who don't actually believe this is a real problem that it IS in fact a real problem. I just don't think this was a strong case and I'm a pretty disappointed it was "selected", so to speak, as a jumping off point. The evidence gives the naysayers opportunity to say "well, he was a criminal provoking violence" "he was reaching for the officer's gun" "see? people are supporting a thief who attacked an officer" and whatever else. In other words, they can explain it away and discredit the debate as a whole. 

So yea, I want this conversation to happen and keep happening until racism is just an extremely shameful piece of our history, but I don't think this was the strongest case to be a poster child for the debate. 

And the supporters/protesters burning buildings to the ground and looting businesses aren't doing their cause any favors, IMO, even if violence does bring the press. 

I agree with this. As to the bolded, this is what I was saying in my post but you said it more clearly. I think this is just bad attention, and it's only making the divide bigger.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Also honestly I really don't want to hear about your poor police officer friend in NYC and what he may be going through. Let's focus a little more on what the Browns are going through. And all families who have lost someone to any kind of violence. 
    Take a sec also to read my other posts on this thread.  I'm focusing quite a bit on the Browns and the city of Ferguson.  I am also lamenting the fact that there are other people here will are adversely impacted by this.
  • Options
    @Fran1985, let me get this straight .... we are (justifiably) upset that a man who shot Michael Brown will not have a truly fair trial.  And the police officer most likely shot Brown based on the color of his skin and what other people with the same skin color have done.  

Yet, it seems that you think it's justified for my friend to get crap based on what other people in his line of work have done when he has done nothing wrong?

Of course I don't think he should get crap, I just think its incredibly stupid to bring it up in this thread. The NYPD JUST killed someone this week. I don't really think its the time to be like oh man my poor cop friend, he might get insulted. We are talking about people getting killed, not about having to take unfair or unwarrented insults. I think in general we need to talk about police culture in this country.

• Options

Of course I don't think he should get crap, I just think its incredibly stupid to bring it up in this thread. The NYPD JUST killed someone this week. I don't really think its the time to be like oh man my poor cop friend, he might get insulted. We are talking about people getting killed, not about having to take unfair or unwarrented insults. I think in general we need to talk about police culture in this country.
    I was just agreeing with @sarawifenow's comment and sharing a personal sentiment.  Yes, the NYPD needs to be scrutinized and needs to make things right.  I am in NO way trying to compare the sorrow and tragedy of the Brown family to what my friend is going through.  I'm just commenting on some of the other implications of this whole incident.
  • Options

I kind of read it as she is concerned about his well-being not whether or not his feelings will be hurt. I'd be concerned too, especially if my friend was an upstanding officer of the law but people projected their hatred on him because of what he represented. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    emmaaaemmaaa mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014

I think it is very dangerous to blame a whole group for one person's actions. One NYPD officer killed someone this week. Not the whole department. Not to say it doesn't need improvement but to lump a whole department together over one person's actions is irresponsible. What if someone said, "Well black people murdered my family" when really it was one black person who committed the crime, not the entire race.

ETA: and obviously that example is made up

• Options
    <
    madamcleo said:
    CMGragain said:
    "Oh right the "but some of my best friends are black" defense."

Nope.  In 1966, Memphis was completely segregated.  I had never met a black teenager.  Most of them hadn't met a white one, either.  That is how it was, and it had to change.  I'm sorry that all the sacrifices people in my generation made to promote racial equality aren't good enough for you.
    Do we have racial equality?  No, but we are trying the best we know how.
    WHAT? Name a sacrifice YOU made? Let me guess, you had to sit next to a black person once. You are a fool, and I am still laughing at the thought of you "working your way through college" by being a state police officer.  
    She never said that she was a state police officer. She said that she worked in the office. Those are two different things. And why is it funny if someone works in a police office to help pay for college?
    You are right, she clearly said she worked in the office of the state police. 
  • Options
    The media has you focusing on the looters and the riots. Yet there are thousands in cities across the nation peacefully protesting. Why don't you pay attention to them? Who out of all of you don't support these people? Not many right? 

Unite for justice instead of finding differences to tear us all apart. Don't point at Mike Brown's issues. Instead see the injustices against him. See that this is not an isolated incident in this city, or our country. Know in your heart that it SHOULDN'T be a race issue when a cop shoots an unarmed citizen but that in most cases IT IS. Support the change our country needs. 

• Options
    abbyj700 said:
    The media has you focusing on the looters and the riots. Yet there are thousands in cities across the nation peacefully protesting. Why don't you pay attention to them? Who out of all of you don't support these people? Not many right? 

Unite for justice instead of finding differences to tear us all apart. Don't point at Mike Brown's issues. Instead see the injustices against him. See that this is not an isolated incident in this city, or our country. Know in your heart that it SHOULDN'T be a race issue when a cop shoots an unarmed citizen but that in most cases IT IS. Support the change our country needs. 

Protesters in NYC threw red paint on the face of the NYPD Police Commissioner. There is absolutely NEVER any excuse for that kind of ridiculous act.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    chibiyui said:
    I'm just going to mention that, I used to live in PA and right around the time of the Sandusky is a terrible monster who raped little boys, Penn State let Joe Paterno go because of his role in the cover up, State College rioted. All these white kids went out and busted shit up. Not a goddamn soul on Facebook had anything bad to say about them (in fact there were plenty who supported it), but some black people in the Midwest riot, and Facebook is all "WTF is wrong with these people?"

So. I hope all the commenters who are upset with the rioting has this feeling after every World Series, and every other time it's mostly white people topping cars, tossing molotov cocktails and bricks into store windows.
    FTR, I had a lot of bad to say about this. Rioting is NEVER ok. EVER. Black, white, whoever.
    I agree with this whole heartedly.  I don't care if you are purple, rioting and destruction and looting NEVER solves anything.  It just makes those doing that sort of thing look ridiculous and discredits any point they are trying to make.

• Options
    sarahufl said:
    abbyj700 said:

Protesters in NYC threw red paint on the face of the NYPD Police Commissioner. There is absolutely NEVER any excuse for that kind of ridiculous act.
    Personally, I saw that and thought it was a) nonviolent and b) made a point. The commissioner will be okay. 
  • Options
    emmaaa said:

I think it is very dangerous to blame a whole group for one person's actions. One NYPD officer killed someone this week. Not the whole department. Not to say it doesn't need improvement but to lump a whole department together over one person's actions is irresponsible. What if someone said, "Well black people murdered my family" when really it was one black person who committed the crime, not the entire race.

ETA: and obviously that example is made up

Of course its dangerous to blame a whole group for one person's actions- have you read the beginning of this thread where people are doing it? Its problematic across the board. But we are getting to the point where a lot of police officers are using life ending force, so yes we do need to start questioning that.

She mentioned that her NYPD friend would get crap for Ferguson, and I was pointing out that something similar just happened to the NYPD- the fact that she didn't know about it shows its really not getting enough attention.

• Options
    FiancB said:
    sarahufl said:
    abbyj700 said:

Personally, I saw that and thought it was a) nonviolent and b) made a point. The commissioner will be okay. 
    Sure, he will be fine. I'm sure it wasn't some sort of toxic, killer paint. But why do it? What role did Bill Bratton play in this? None. At all.

So what point is someone proving by throwing paint on the NYPD Police Commissioner? Name one thing that was accomplished by that.
  • Options
    emmaaa said:
    FiancB said:
    sarahufl said:
    abbyj700 said:

How is that non-violent? That is assault. Whether he will be okay or not, that is not okay.
    This.  And also, not to sound obtuse, but what exactly was the point of that act?

• Options
    My impression was that it was symbolic, that it shows the blood on his hands. I could be wrong. 
  • Options
    FiancB said:
    My impression was that it was symbolic, that it shows the blood on his hands. I could be wrong. 
    The blood on BRATTON'S hands?! He is the NYPD Commissioner. This argument is absurd, at best.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards