Wedding Party

Budget Bridesmaids Dresses

13»

Re: Budget Bridesmaids Dresses

• GUYS.  Did you not even READ the "what not to say to a young(er) bride" thread?!  

Seriously though.  Get the fuck over BM dresses.  It will be the LEAST of your worries as the wedding draws nearer.
    Word. 

OP, I'm sorry, but you seem like a very young, very immature 20. 
  • Yea.... If what you're getting out of this, OP, is that people are slamming matching dresses, you're reading it wrong. I'm willing to bet most of the posters in this thread had matching dresses.

With all the restrictions you have to work with - neck line, length, budget, etc. It will be extremely difficult to find what you're looking for. No one is saying that you CAN'T find it, but it'll be tough and probably really stressful for you. So what people suggested was considering having some flexibility. 

You said no to flexibility because pictures. Ok... fine, but that's just more stress on you to find a $40 dress that meets all the requirements of your friends. You are adding stress by not being flexible. It's completely fine if you want to do that but finding the dress becomes YOUR problem. It's not your BMs' problem for having religious considerations or budget considerations. It's a problem YOU created because YOU want pictures to look a certain way. At least own it. 

Here are more suggestions from Forever21:

I decided not to go any further, but it only took me about 15 minutes to find a bunch of options. You can do the same, just put some effort into it and stop bad mouthing your friends.
    *********************************************************************************

• jenna8984jenna8984 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

@caitieharrison94 Again, the issue wasn't wanting them to match but her attitude of "it is kind of a photo shoot- the pictures will be the only thing that lasts forever". Please, please recognize that none of those things matter in a marriage. It will still be one of the best days of your life regardless. Think about all the other days that are the top 5 days in your entire life. Possibly your graduation, your proposal, maybe a certain birthday, the birth of your children or future children. In any of these scenarios- are there 1,000 photos documenting it and are you mad at what other people are wearing when those good things happened to you? NO. You didn't tell your mom what to wear to your graduation, you don't tell the delivery nurses what to wear in the hospital so that pictures will forever be beautiful- that would be silly. And this is the same concept. Your day will still be amazing and one of the best days of your life, regardless of any pictures or dresses on other people.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm honestly not. I thought it was amazing when I came on here and learned all this persceptive from the women who have already been married. That's the only reason that some were saying your age would have an effect on that. Because you probably haven't been in many weddings, or had many friends get married who could share that wisdom with you. I felt so awesome and free when I finally learned that none of the wedding "fluff" matters as much as you think it does.

• Yea.... If what you're getting out of this, OP, is that people are slamming matching dresses, you're reading it wrong. I'm willing to bet most of the posters in this thread had matching dresses.

With all the restrictions you have to work with - neck line, length, budget, etc. It will be extremely difficult to find what you're looking for. No one is saying that you CAN'T find it, but it'll be tough and probably really stressful for you. So what people suggested was considering having some flexibility. 

You said no to flexibility because pictures. Ok... fine, but that's just more stress on you to find a $40 dress that meets all the requirements of your friends. You are adding stress by not being flexible. It's completely fine if you want to do that but finding the dress becomes YOUR problem. It's not your BMs' problem for having religious considerations or budget considerations. It's a problem YOU created because YOU want pictures to look a certain way. At least own it. 

Here are more suggestions from Forever21:

I decided not to go any further, but it only took me about 15 minutes to find a bunch of options. You can do the same, just put some effort into it and stop bad mouthing your friends.
    Never once did I "bad mouth" my friends. If you see it that way, that's fine, I can't change your opinion, but none of my girls were offended at the things I said so I don't think you should be. Thank you for the options.
  • edited December 2014
    GUYS.  Did you not even READ the "what not to say to a young(er) bride" thread?!  

Seriously though.  Get the fuck over BM dresses.  It will be the LEAST of your worries as the wedding draws nearer.
    Word. 

And so, what? I'm supposed to not get married because you think I'm too immature? I'm supposed to sit down and really consider how "immature" I might be because a stranger on the internet thinks so, despite knowing next to nothing about me or my situation? I'm not sure how this comment is supposed to change my behavior other than to make me feel bad about myself.

I'm sure there were things that were important to you about your wedding. Maybe it was the venue, maybe it was the date, maybe it was the centerpieces, maybe it was having a specific photographer. For me, it's having pretty bridesmaids dresses. If it comes down to it and I haven't found anything, then whatever, we'll just do mismatched. But I vastly prefer matching bridesmaids and there is nothing wrong with that. And if that makes me immature, then whatever, I guess I'm okay with being immature and eventually I'll grow.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    OP, I have a question that has not been asked.  What do you mean by "vintage"?

You mentioned that vintage weddings did not have mismatched bridesmaids.  That is not correct, but it isn't relevant.  You can choose whatever dresses you want.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @MairePoppy, those sound like some awesome pictures.

It occurs to me that I have never seen wedding pictures for my grandparents (who married in the late 50s/early 60s). I don't know if any exist for the maternal side, since they did a weekday church ceremony with just my very reluctant great-grandma in attendance and my grandmother just wore a dress she already had. But I think my paternal grandparents had a fancier affair than that and now I need to ask Grandma if she has a wedding album. Except we just lost my Papaw and they were married 57 years so.... yeah. Even if it ultimately helps her feel better I know she'll cry.
  • OP, if you do in fact find a dress that meets all those requirements, is under 40 dollars and has all the sizes/quantities you need please post it. I've always wanted to see a real unicorn.

Anniversary
  • edited December 2014

@artbyallie - my favorite is my paternal grandmother's wedding portrait during the 1920's. She wore a long silk gown with a chapel train, lace jacket with matching lace cap with a long veil.Think Boardwalk Empire. I'm very blessed to have many old wedding portraits from my father's family and my husband's parents portraits. Picture taking was a big deal back in those days; no TV : )

But I digress. OP, there's nothing wrong with matching bm dresses, as long as you respect the budgets and religious restrictions of your bms. People were offended because it came across that you were perturbed at your one friend because of her low budget and dress requirements. Consider pitching in some money for her, privately, to relax the budget a bit. I hope you find a dress that makes everyone happy.

• GUYS.  Did you not even READ the "what not to say to a young(er) bride" thread?!  

Word. 

And so, what? I'm supposed to not get married because you think I'm too immature? I'm supposed to sit down and really consider how "immature" I might be because a stranger LOTS OF STRANGERS on the internet thinks so, despite knowing next to nothing about me or my situation? I'm not sure how this comment is supposed to change my behavior other than to make me feel bad about myself.

I'm sure there were things that were important to you about your wedding. Maybe it was the venue, maybe it was the date, maybe it was the centerpieces, maybe it was having a specific photographer. For me, it's having pretty bridesmaids dresses. If it comes down to it and I haven't found anything, then whatever, we'll just do mismatched. But I vastly prefer matching bridesmaids and there is nothing wrong with that. And if that makes me immature, then whatever, I guess I'm okay with being immature and eventually I'll grow.
    FTFY
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ill probably go shopping with them and see what they are comfortable in. let them pick their style as long as it is the same color.
  • mrsk616 said:
    ill probably go shopping with them and see what they are comfortable in. let them pick their style as long as it is the same color.
    exactly what I'm doing. Some of my bridesmaids have been in weddings where the bride picks out a specific dress and asks everyone to purchase it. When that happens, it's pretty rare that all the bridesmaid like the dress the bride picks. All of my bridesmaid are very thankful for me doing the "pick your own style" dress shopping. Plus, I want them to feel comfortable and beautiful!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards