Chit Chat
Options

Done

Re: Done

• Options
    I'm a nail polish blogger.  A couple years ago, I posted a picture of a manicure I had done in a facebook group for fellow nail polish lovers.  IT wasn't a picture that was going on my site, just a quick manicure and it wasn't perfectly cleaned up around the edges (but certainly not horrible).  This psychotic chick in the nail polish community basically went off on me, telling me I was disgusting, how dare I post a picture like that, all this crazy stuff.  Then proceeded to make a "movement" in that world called "Clean Up or Die" about how people should only post perfect manicures.  (yes this is entirely as ridiculous as it sounds.)  She was threatening to send my "disgusting" picture to brands I work with and telling them to stop sending me products to review because I was a disgrace to the blogging world.  Keep in mind, I had posted this in a group of nail polish lovers as Carly, not as my blog, just to show off a cool polish!

She got tons of people to join her "clean up or die" campaign, making blog posts about it, it was really insane.  They started attacking my integrity as a person, saying all these crazy lies, and they were literally all strangers to me on the internet.

• Options
    My favorite is "You're all trolls!!" no. Someone trolling is not someone that disagrees with you.

And girl. You used the wrong HEAR lol don't make me bully or troll you.

• Options
    JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    One of the forums that I'm on, a girl recently got in trouble for commenting to a guy who's father recently had a stroke (he posted about it in a totally other unrelated topic to this one that they're both commenting on now) about how he's been more "annoying than usual since your dad stroked."

Not quite bullying, but I found this comment appalling.
  • Options
    I'm a nail polish blogger.  A couple years ago, I posted a picture of a manicure I had done in a facebook group for fellow nail polish lovers.  IT wasn't a picture that was going on my site, just a quick manicure and it wasn't perfectly cleaned up around the edges (but certainly not horrible).  This psychotic chick in the nail polish community basically went off on me, telling me I was disgusting, how dare I post a picture like that, all this crazy stuff.  Then proceeded to make a "movement" in that world called "Clean Up or Die" about how people should only post perfect manicures.  (yes this is entirely as ridiculous as it sounds.)  She was threatening to send my "disgusting" picture to brands I work with and telling them to stop sending me products to review because I was a disgrace to the blogging world.  Keep in mind, I had posted this in a group of nail polish lovers as Carly, not as my blog, just to show off a cool polish!

She got tons of people to join her "clean up or die" campaign, making blog posts about it, it was really insane.  They started attacking my integrity as a person, saying all these crazy lies, and they were literally all strangers to me on the internet.

This is one of the most insane things I've ever heard.  Also, it would make an AMAZING movie.  You should probably think of selling the rights to Lifetime or something.
  • Options
    Years ago, when I was on TK, I joined a spin-off message board group. It was like an emotionally abusive relationship. I had made some really close friends (some of whom were at my wedding in September) but others were just so fucking mean. For some reason, I kept going back. There were certain ladies there that just loved to attack me no matter what. It really was my own fault for sharing what I did. But god, was it an unhealthy place to be. 

Anyway, it kills me when these ladies throw out the bullying card. Most of them just don't like the advice they're getting. Having someone be blunt with you is not bullying. How do these women get buy in life? If they get a bad review at work, is their boss bullying them??
  • Options
    The other forum I'm a regular on has had some horrible cyber bullies. From nudes of one girl getting posted to continuous doxing back in the day...it could get pretty brutal. From first names, to family histories to google map pictures of people's front doors - it was creepy and very scary. 

And just about every story about teenage girls bullied in to suicide makes my veins chill and my heart hurt. 
  • Options
    dcbride86 said:

This is one of the most insane things I've ever heard.  Also, it would make an AMAZING movie.  You should probably think of selling the rights to Lifetime or something.
    Hahaha it was really one of the craziest things ever.  I was just like "I thought you'd all want to see the pretty color."  Luckily I"m thick skinned and just thought she was nuts but it was really crazy how many people joined on the bandwagon of it

• Options
    I also used to run an advice website for a well known advice columnist and some of the shit on there would be crazy.  Like actual threats, cyber bullying, etc.  someone coming on here and telling another poster that having a PPD is tacky or that a cash bar isn't a smart idea is not cyber bullying.  It's called reality.

but that's the thing about the internet.  It brings out the crazies.

• Options
    When I was in junior high these girls I was in school with started this website page thing that was all about how much they hated me and how I was a lesbian and fat and terrible and no one should like me.

It was like an on-line burn book. Except dedicated solely to me. Then they sent me a daily link to see what the "post of the day" about me. They found out I liked some boy, and they got him to write about how he'd never date fat looser like me. 

No idea why they hated me so much. Pretty sure no one on TK has ever created a webpage specifically about all the ways in which I suck.
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    I often got harassed in online games to the point where I only turn my microphone on if they are my friends. Once a guy added me and we got along fine and everything was great. One day he messaged me And out of nowhere he says that he hopes I get raped and I get my throat slit. Of course I just deleted him on my friends list on steam and he didn't have any of my real information. He tried to add me back saying he was joking but I didn't respond. On steam you can see what servers people play their games on, even if you deleted and block a person. He would sign in and follow me in games, not saying anything or doing anything. He eventually stopped. It was creepy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    There are a lot of people who do not really know what bullying means.    Disagreeing with you is not bullying.   Being blunt is not bullying.

I have pretty thick skin and just let things roll off of me.  I feel some people are just overly sensitive. It's like their whole lives no one has ever disagreed with them and now they do not know what to do.  It's pretty sad actually.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I recently-ish had a guy FB message me (he wasn't a friend!) send me a link to a Tumblr that he "found" (i.e. that he created probably) about some dude jacking off and jizzing on a photo of me. It was quite odd. But I found it more pathetic on the part of the guy. So I just told him "hey thanks for the laugh" and blocked him.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I used to be part of a radio station community a few years ago. There was a message board, and the show we all followed had LOTS of parties and cool shit that we'd all attend.

There was one girl that I just didn't like. She was fucking weird, and I was not into her shit. I wasn't friends with her on facebook, and I didn't want to be. Someone asked me why I didn't go to her party, I said straight-out, "I just don't like her. Not a big deal. Don't have to be friends with everyone. Don't super care." I didn't even care enough to shit-talk her because she wasn't even an interesting enough trainwreck to spectate.

She heard about it, and started add-requesting me ALL THE FUCKING TIME. All over the place. LinkedIn, FB, Google+, EVERYTHING. It was annoying, and I didn't care enough to go in on her, so I blocked her. Maybe she'd get the hint.

Nope. She made a second account on all of the social media things I was a part of, and started it again. After about 3 days of this, she messaged me. She said she thought it was funny that I was so threatened by her and her HILARIOUS joke profile that she set up just to share jokes!!!! because she's cooler than I am and all her friends know it. She couldn't believe I'd block her, blah blah blah. I was jealous of her and all of her friends, etc.

I finally checked the 'other' inbox on facebook, saw this thirsty ass mess, and said, "I wasn't aware that I needed to clarify further that I don't give a shit about you or anything you're involved in." made sure it registered as 'seen,' and I blocked her again. A mutual friend (who excused her from his life immediately upon hearing about this) told me her email addresses so that I could block all profiles associated with them.

Took care of that.

I wouldn't even call that cyber-bullying as much as it was a social media nuisance by someone acting like a twat.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I have been blessed to never have experienced anyone creating websites about me, sending me rude content about myself, or having images used against me. I've never been cyber-bullied. I'm sorry you all have dealt with this. @princessofgenovia‌ like what?? How can people be so cruel? That's really awful.

That being said, it makes sense why I am more sensitive and maybe why some other "newbies" are so sensitive too. They aren't used to any kind of negative comments being made about them. I'm with @scribe95‌ that it's annoying to see those threads pop up complaining about someone taking something poorly. I hope it's never the intent to hurt someone, but just because you may have experienced cyber-bullying in the past and are "hardened" to it and dont consider what you're doing bullying, doesn't mean you can make fun of someone else who is more sensitive than you, who may consider it cyber-bullying. General "you". It's all interpreted by the receiver.

I haven't seen any threads that were mean, but I haven't been reading other boards.

@lacqueredlover‌ Please make a movie about this nail polish ridiculousness. What a crazy story. I'm glad it didn't bother you too much and you can laugh at it!

image   image   image

• Options
    The nail polish/beauty world is full of crazy haha.  It's insane.  

• Options
    Some of these stories are wild! I've (thankfully) never been a victim of cyber bullying. I have had some creepy dude FB stalk me and show up at my work. I have no idea how he found out where I work because I have  very private profile and was not friends with him. That's about the extent of creepy internet stuff I have dealt with.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    When I was in junior high these girls I was in school with started this website page thing that was all about how much they hated me and how I was a lesbian and fat and terrible and no one should like me.

It was like an on-line burn book. Except dedicated solely to me. Then they sent me a daily link to see what the "post of the day" about me. They found out I liked some boy, and they got him to write about how he'd never date fat looser like me. 

No idea why they hated me so much. Pretty sure no one on TK has ever created a webpage specifically about all the ways in which I suck.
    That's so upsetting. I'm sorry that happened to you. I was bullied when I was in junior high. I'm old, so the internet didn't exist back then, which meant my bullies did a lot of it to my face. I often wonder why a teacher never stepped in to do anything. 
  • Options
    @Sugargirl1019, I was bullied (in general) pretty badly through school. Boys would say not to drink after me at the water fountain or you'd "catch my germs", girls mocked me in gym for having to wear a bra, my parents were poor, I was fat, they were pretty sure I was a lesbian, whatever there was to pick on me for, they did. 

I still have no idea how I became the favored target of ridicule. I think it's like when a pack of lions can find the weakest gazelle and they pounce. 
  • Options

Holy shit. That's seriously one of the meanest things I've ever heard of :( 
  • Options

That's so upsetting. I'm sorry that happened to you. I was bullied when I was in junior high. I'm old, so the internet didn't exist back then, which meant my bullies did a lot of it to my face. I often wonder why a teacher never stepped in to do anything. 
    Same here.  I am so thankful I was in high school before MySpace (just created), Facebook, blogs, forums, etc were popular/wide spread.  I really don't know how kids deal with it all today.  It is just so easy to bully others and make sure everyone in school reads and sees the crap being said.

One time the group of girls vandalized my locker inside and out so I went to the vice principal.  She asked me what I did to make them want to say such mean things and do such horrible stuff to me. The VP basically said that it must have been something I did.  So yeah, I didn't get much help from the people in charge.

• Options

My teachers always used the "well no one physically hit you" argument. And told me to just walk away and ignore them. Brilliant plan. Never thought of that one. You went to college hm? And this is what you learned?

I think bullying is taken more seriously now, at least I hope so. And it's understood that just because you aren't getting hit, doesn't mean you aren't getting bullied. Again, I hope that's the message now.
  • Options

@Sugargirl1019, I was bullied (in general) pretty badly through school. Boys would say not to drink after me at the water fountain or you'd "catch my germs", girls mocked me in gym for having to wear a bra, my parents were poor, I was fat, they were pretty sure I was a lesbian, whatever there was to pick on me for, they did. 

I still have no idea how I became the favored target of ridicule. I think it's like when a pack of lions can find the weakest gazelle and they pounce. 
    This is so sad. It makes me so depressed about our youth. Some people deserve a kick in the face (and I don't have a mean bone in my body).

image   image   image

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

I feel like you had an encounter with the Peach Bellini candle lady.

I feel like there's a story I want to know about! :)

image   image   image

• Options
    I haven't experienced a lot of cyber bullying. One time I posted something on a feminist subreddit that I didn't realize was subject to heavily trolling from MRA folks (I did know there was trolling but not the extent), and some of the comments that were made to me in response were really nasty, like basically how dare I complain about anything, and I'm the reason the internet/Reddit sucks, etc. It left such a bad taste in my mouth when I realized this was the kind of behavior sanctioned and even encouraged by the people who run the site (free speech means the freedom to be a nasty jerk to people, right?), that I really haven't gone back, even to some of the friendlier subs. My feelings weren't hurt; it was more of, if this is the culture I'm really not interested.

But I did experience a LOT of in-person bullying as a kid. From second to fifth grade I went to a private school where this one girl just made me a constant target, and the friends I had weren't much to speak of. I remember once I was playing with two friends on the jungle gym, and this girl and her cronies literally went up to us and specifically asked only my two friends to play with them. They immediately abandoned me. The girl's parents were on the school board so teacher's did jack about it. In fact, at one point, when I complained to a teacher about her treating me like shit, I got told to "stop being such a tattletale."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I feel like you had an encounter with the Peach Bellini candle lady.
    OMG that woman is crazy. I went and found her other youtube rants. Girl needs valium. Or weed. Or an orgasm. Something to chill her the hell out (her candles are not doing it for her).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards