Chit Chat
Options

Guys... Guys.... Does anyone here care about football? Because OMG THE ROSE BOWL.

Okay so we don't have cable (because we are cheap bastards), so we have been listening to ESPN radio for the past hour (while DH nurses our poor foster guinea pig). And seriously? Seriously? I am so sorry but I love seeing (hearing, lol) FSU go down in flames in such an embarrassing manner. Part of me is really trying to be an adult and remember these are 18-22 year olds whose dreams are getting smashed but I am SO tired of hearing about Jameis Winston and how great he is (despite the bazillion and one interceptions he's had this year). Please tell me someone else here is as happy about this fourth quarter as I am!

Re: Guys... Guys.... Does anyone here care about football? Because OMG THE ROSE BOWL.

• Options
    I'm not super into football but my family is. We were watching the game. They are just as thrilled as you about the outcome of the game for the same reasons, so you definitely aren't alone! 

• Options
    I watched the parade but not the game.   I hate FSU, so I'm glad to here they lost.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I live in the heart of Buckeye country and I hate FSU.  I'm greatly enjoying their choking collapse but I wish they would hurry up so I can watch the Sugar Bowl.  I have to work tomorrow!
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't watch the Rose Bowl but GT spanked MSU in the Orange Bowl. Muahahaha!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I went to University of Oregon, thus am a die hard Duck fan, so of course I watched it and am celebrating!  Though I can't believe how much we killed them!  Can't wait to see who we will be playing next!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Gooooooooo quack quacks!!! We watched at the FIL's.
  • Options
    And now the game I'm torn on.... Do you root for the SEC or for Bammer disappointment?
    I'm going SEC tonight because I think Oregon vs Alabama sounds like a fun match up!
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    I don't care about college ball at all anymore, so I'm not watching, but I'm thrilled to hear about Jameis Winston failing. Fuck that guy.

ETA: I'd love to see Ohio State go down in flames, too, after the Steubenville rape case and them not only allowing Michael Nodianos to stay at the school, but opting to continue to honor his scholarship, even after the video he posted mocking the rape victim ostensibly while it was happening in the other room. 
  • Options
    Alabama vs Oregon will be a better game. Ohio State is hated here, Wisconsin graduate thank you very much so you can probably guess my chant. Add in the Steubenville case and my hate expands beyond just school rivalry.
  • Options
    OT but-- you are fostering a guinea pig?  And it needs nursing?  I LOVE guinea pigs.  Story and pics please!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    esstee33 said:

I don't care about college ball at all anymore, so I'm not watching, but I'm thrilled to hear about Jameis Winston failing. Fuck that guy.

ETA: I'd love to see Ohio State go down in flames, too, after the Steubenville rape case and them not only allowing Michael Nodianos to stay at the school, but opting to continue to honor his scholarship, even after the video he posted mocking the rape victim ostensibly while it was happening in the other room. 
    That actually has nothing to do with Ohio state football, but ok.
  • Options
    We watched! We live in Tallahassee, but I went to UF for undergrad and FSU for law school. I'm a die hard Gator girl in the heart of enemy territory. DH is sick of the FSU hype, and liked Oregon all season. We were very excited watching that game, though my mom got mad on the phone with us- not because she's an FSU fan, but because her tv signal had about a 1.5 minute delay compared to ours, so I would start cheering a completed touchdown pass right as she saw the ball snapped, hehehe.

As for Bama and OSU....I had the opportunity to run Urban Meyer over with my car when I was in college (I was there for both football and basketball championships), and now I'm kinda sad that I didn't.  DH was rooting for Ohio State, BUT said it's because he wants to see OSU lose to Oregon, making the loss more painful for Urban.

@abl13, I kinda have to side with esstee33 on the Nodianos issue. Meyer coached at FL for over 5 years, and now the university and the world is learning of all these cover ups and bs of protecting football players only to have them go down in flames later (exhibit A: Aaron Hernandez).  Nodianos' Steubenville activity did not occur during his college football career, but it would not surprise me to learn, after Meyer eventually leaves OSU, that improper and illegal conduct by some of Meyer's top Buckeye players occurred, and Meyer did everything to keep them out of jail, on the team, in the school, and out of the papers. 

Go Ducks! Go Gators!
  • Options
    We watched! We live in Tallahassee, but I went to UF for undergrad and FSU for law school. I'm a die hard Gator girl in the heart of enemy territory. DH is sick of the FSU hype, and liked Oregon all season. We were very excited watching that game, though my mom got mad on the phone with us- not because she's an FSU fan, but because her tv signal had about a 1.5 minute delay compared to ours, so I would start cheering a completed touchdown pass right as she saw the ball snapped, hehehe.

As for Bama and OSU....I had the opportunity to run Urban Meyer over with my car when I was in college (I was there for both football and basketball championships), and now I'm kinda sad that I didn't.  DH was rooting for Ohio State, BUT said it's because he wants to see OSU lose to Oregon, making the loss more painful for Urban.

@abl13, I kinda have to side with esstee33 on the Nodianos issue. Meyer coached at FL for over 5 years, and now the university and the world is learning of all these cover ups and bs of protecting football players only to have them go down in flames later (exhibit A: Aaron Hernandez).  Nodianos' Steubenville activity did not occur during his college football career, but it would not surprise me to learn, after Meyer eventually leaves OSU, that improper and illegal conduct by some of Meyer's top Buckeye players occurred, and Meyer did everything to keep them out of jail, on the team, in the school, and out of the papers. 

Go Ducks! Go Gators!
    LOL whatever. Go bucks!
  • Options
    We (Ohio State) may end up losing the Championship game, but we are 8-0 against Oregon and the two teams are familar with each other.  I think it will be a good game.

• Options
    abl13 said:

Go Ducks! Go Gators!

LOL whatever. Go bucks!

LOL. You're so insightful.

Anniversary
  • Options
    abl13 said:

Yeah, I really don't give a fuck. 
  • Options
    Didn't watch that game but BSU alum over here and Fiesta Bowl WINNERS! That was an awesome way to end 2014 :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We watched it (cheering for Oregon, lots of FI's family went there).  Did you hear about/see one of the turnovers where the ball just sort of magically flew out of the FSU player's hands and Oregon got it and returned it for a touchdown?  It was great.  Don't even know how it happened, I guess the FSU player slipped on the grass maybe.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsdee15 said:
    We watched it (cheering for Oregon, lots of FI's family went there).  Did you hear about/see one of the turnovers where the ball just sort of magically flew out of the FSU player's hands and Oregon got it and returned it for a touchdown?  It was great.  Don't even know how it happened, I guess the FSU player slipped on the grass maybe.
    I saw it and it was hysterical.  <<CLICKY for memes>>
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    abl13 said:

You do realize that bad people go to college all over the country, right?  And what the OSU administration decides to do with a non-athlete student has NOTHING to do with what happens on the football field (since he doesn't even play football, let alone for OSU)?

That is an ugly, ugly case (Steubinville rape case) but it has nothing to do with OSU football. 
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    abl13 said:

You do realize that bad people go to college all over the country, right?  And what the OSU administration decides to do with a non-athlete student has NOTHING to do with what happens on the football field (since he doesn't even play football, let alone for OSU)?

That is an ugly, ugly case (Steubinville rape case) but it has nothing to do with OSU football. 
    Except for the fact that college athletic programs are not financial entities independent of the university they're associated with, you might have a point. Successful collegiate athletic programs bring revenue and prestige to the university, so there's an absolute connection that I can potentially affect by taking my dollar away from that program.

Not to mention the fact that OSU's football program isn't exactly innocent of wrongdoing in and of itself. 
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    abl13 said:

Except for the fact that college athletic programs are not financial entities independent of the university they're associated with, you might have a point. Successful collegiate athletic programs bring revenue and prestige to the university, so there's an absolute connection that I can potentially affect by taking my dollar away from that program.

Not to mention the fact that OSU's football program isn't exactly innocent of wrongdoing in and of itself. 
    No, OSU's football program is not blameless, not very many are. But they had NOTHING to do with the Steubinville case and it is unfair of you to link the two together. 

You want to talk trash about players selling their personal belongings or trading them for tattoos (autographs, gold pants, bowl rings, etc.) or any other past transgressions then go ahead. But it doesn't do any good to your point when you are trying to link two unrelated issues.
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    abl13 said:

Please tell me about this mythical college that is free of asshats and a college football program that doesn't have some skeletons?? Sadly, I can't think of one. Not saying that either is ok, just that bad people are everywhere - wish it wasn't true, but it is.

Nodianos is a sorry excuse for a human being, but tragically someone equally awful has passed through the halls of all universities everywhere. POS are everywhere, not just in Ohio.

That said, I totally respect you right to take your money elsewhere. I just find it unfair to use him as the standard by which Ohio State is judged.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    abl13 said:

No, OSU's football program is not blameless, not very many are. But they had NOTHING to do with the Steubinville case and it is unfair of you to link the two together. 

You want to talk trash about players selling their personal belongings or trading them for tattoos (autographs, gold pants, bowl rings, etc.) or any other past transgressions then go ahead. But it doesn't do any good to your point when you are trying to link two unrelated issues.
    They're not unrelated, because my issue is with Ohio State in general, not JUST the football program. The athletic department is an extension of the school, and there's no reason for me to support them when I don't support the school. 

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    abl13 said:

They're not unrelated, because my issue is with Ohio State in general, not JUST the football program. The athletic department is an extension of the school, and there's no reason for me to support them when I don't support the school. 

So out of curiosity what schools do you support?  I'm sure we can dig up some scandal for just about anyone, again, POS students go to school everywhere.  There will be hazing for fraternities and sororities, racism, sexual assault, peer pressure to binge drink causing serious harm, cheating scandals and the list goes on and on.

Forget athletic programs, higher education itself is a big business that brings in boat loads of money.  The money is just presented as a way to better education and the "educational experience" when it goes to pay exorbitant salaries for the administration and bells and whistles to attract more students so they can rake in even more money.  I don't know about you, but I can learn just fine without a rock climbing wall, a sushi bar included in my meal plan and 4 Olympic sized pools.
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    edited January 2015
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    abl13 said:

So out of curiosity what schools do you support?  I'm sure we can dig up some scandal for just about anyone, again, POS students go to school everywhere.  There will be hazing for fraternities and sororities, racism, sexual assault, peer pressure to binge drink causing serious harm, cheating scandals and the list goes on and on.

Forget athletic programs, higher education itself is a big business that brings in boat loads of money.  The money is just presented as a way to better education and the "educational experience" when it goes to pay exorbitant salaries for the administration and bells and whistles to attract more students so they can rake in even more money.  I don't know about you, but I can learn just fine without a rock climbing wall, a sushi bar included in my meal plan and 4 Olympic sized pools.

None. So good luck with that.

ETA: And yeah, I get what you're arguing, and it's missing the point. The issue isn't that students do stupid things. It's that students do stupid things that go unpunished.
  • Options
    esstee33 said:

ETA: And yeah, I get what you're arguing, and it's missing the point. The issue isn't that students do stupid things. It's that students do stupid things that go unpunished.
    I think April's point (and mine) is that students do stupid things that go unpunished at universities everywhere, not just Ohio State. FWIW, I'd love to see an end put to that everywhere.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    abl13 said:

Genuine curiosity, not snark...  Why is it the university's job to punish a student for a crime that was not committed on campus and happened before he started college?  Isn't that the job of the police?  

If the Steubinville rape had occurred on campus and OSU (or whatever college) was protecting these players then I would agree with you.  But this happened off campus before the slimeball attended OSU. 

And maybe I've forgotten some details of the case, but this guy was making fun of the victim (which don't get me wrong is HORRIFIC, he should not of made the video and he should have stood up for the victim) but didn't actually commit a crime. So why would OSU suspend/expel him?
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    edited January 2015
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:

Genuine curiosity, not snark...  Why is it the university's job to punish a student for a crime that was not committed on campus and happened before he started college?  Isn't that the job of the police?  

If the Steubinville rape had occurred on campus and OSU (or whatever college) was protecting these players then I would agree with you.  But this happened off campus before the slimeball attended OSU. 

And maybe I've forgotten some details of the case, but this guy was making fun of the victim (which don't get me wrong is HORRIFIC, he should not of made the video and he should have stood up for the victim) but didn't actually commit a crime. So why would OSU suspend/expel him?

I think the university (not just OSU, but every university) has a duty to protect their students, and when one student records a video mocking the rape (possibly even while it was happening and doing nothing to stop it from happening), that is worthy of revoking that student's scholarship, at the very least, if not outright expulsion. You could make a pretty compelling argument that the safety of other students could be at jeopardy with this psychopath on campus. 

Edited to clean up quote boxes, sweet Jesus. 
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:

I think the university (not just OSU, but every university) has a duty to protect their students, and when one student records a video mocking the rape (possibly even while it was happening and doing nothing to stop it from happening), that is worthy of revoking that student's scholarship, at the very least, if not outright expulsion. You could make a pretty compelling argument that the safety of other students could be at jeopardy with this psychopath on campus. 

Edited to clean up quote boxes, sweet Jesus. 
    I think I see your reasoning, but I still disagree.  

Being a complete slime ball and saying horrible things about a rape victim is not a crime.  He did not, to my knowledge, do anything that would threaten the safety of a fellow student.  He seems like a horrible, no good, excuse for a man, but I don't see anything that can he can be punished for without being charged with a crime.

The scholarship issue might be a different case depending on what kind of scholarship it was.  If there was a morals clause or something else that could cause OSU to re-examine the offer then it should have been done.

And please, don't think I am defending this guy or his actions (or lack thereof).  I'm trying to show that OSU (or any other university) aren't supposed to be a judge and jury, especially when the event happened in another STATE and before the perpetrator was officially enrolled at the university.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards