Chit Chat
Options

Hey you pregnant people

Re: Hey you pregnant people

• Options
    So I say I don't want to know and I really don't but sometimes I see something really really cute like all the Alice in Wonderland baby stuff and think if I knew I could buy that. Lol.
  • Options
    My parents didn't find out with me and my older sister, but my younger sister they did beacuse they really wanted a boy. Then SURPRISE: My brother came along.

Sidenote: Was it on here that someone didn't want to know the gender of their baby, but their mother was insistent and bribed the ultrasound technician and ended up telling everyone the gender?
    FYI - sex, not gender. ;-) We're PC here on CC.
    Eek. Didn't even think about it, honestly. Sorry people.
    Don't apologize. Lord knows your child won't understand the difference for many, many years. 
  • Options
    We are not yet TTC, but I know that I will DEFINITELY want to know the sex of the baby. It will likely help me connect more, and I like thinking of all the things in a gender-binary sort of way. I'm excited to decorate in pinks and purples or greens and blues.

While obviously I'd have to discuss with DH, I like the idea of having a lavender room for a girl with butterfly accents. For a boy I'd probably do a light blue and I'm not sure what accents yet. Maybe dinosaurs.
  • Options
    Yep, we definitely wanted to find out the sex and did so as soon as possible (with the first tri testing blood work). Kinda funny that I was paranoid the blood test was wrong so was super eager to get visual confirmation at the anatomy scan. No balls in me! Smiledamnit Baby is a girl, and we shared that detail with people as well. 

Don't really have a nursery theme. We rent the house we live in so we're not going to paint or anything. So far, all furniture is white, walls are cream, carpet is tan...super exciting up in there. DH loves owls so we'll likely incorporate them into the room some how, and I'd love to pull Montana (trees?? a damn lake?? gonna have to get creative) into it somehow. 

My BFF is hosting a baby shower for me at the end of the month and then my Ma is staying for a couple of days to help me decorate and stuff so I'll have pics of what we come up with in a few weeks. I originally wanted to do very gender-neutral, but I've a feeling it will lean heavy to a girly feel. Turns out H loves pink. Go figure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Twins are common. My mother's side has non-identical twins on her maternal side, and the tendency to have 1 egg from each ovary go down a fallopian tube into the uterus at nearly the same time - rather than one this month and then one from the other ovary next month is heritable. Mom had 2 deliveries with 1small stillborn, and healthy and her Mom had 3 sets boy girl and her mother had a set of non ID boys and one of girls.
    Dad's side he is one of 2 sets of identical twins and his father's family had 2 sets both mirror Image identical - not common, and his grandfather was one of mirror image. Two of my sisters have non-identical and one half brother and my adopted brother to (my father's twin and wife died) both have identical twin boys, one set mirror image.

Not unexpected.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    We're unpregnant right now, but we are trying to become pregnant!

We're gonna not find out the sex. Wifey wants to be surprised and so do I but also....I really don't want to end up with a lot of gender stereotype crap. If we're having a girl, it doesn't mean everything must be dollies, and frills, and pink pink pink! And if we have a boy, it doesn't mean all sports, and trucks, and blue blue blue! I figure if we don't find out, we can hedge off on people forcing our kid into a gender styrotype for at least a little while.

We're gonna do a comic book themed nursery. I'm not 100% sure how we'll pull that off yet. I'm thinking lot of bold colors, some framed photos of comic books, it's gonna be fun whatever we do.
    If we have a boy I want to do a Super Hero theme, but not too many primary colors.  I think a neutral backdrop with accents is what I want.  I have a secret Pintrest board already and I'm not pregnant (but we are TTC).

I don't want it to be so "baby" that I want to redo the room when they are three so I think by going a little more mature (for lack of a better word) in the decor and colors it will help stretch out the usefullness of the theme.

imageimageimage

If we have a girl I'm thinking either beach/shore or lullabies.

image image
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:
    Oooo I love that! It's so pretty! I'll probably have to steal that!
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:
    @jennycolada, no that is MINE!  I pinned it first and no one else in the interwebz can EVER use it!  ;)
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    @jennycolada, no that is MINE!  I pinned it first and no one else in the interwebz can EVER use it!  ;)
    Gravel and feathers would be a lovely addition to your shore theme though. ;)

• Options
    Here is another super hero thing I like because of the muted colors.

And I need to learn how to knit because I need this for a baby boy.

• Options
    SBmini said:

So about a year ago I bought this for our first baby's nursery. Boy, girl, it doesn't matter. S/he is having a dino themed nursery! 

I'm just going to state the obvious that I'm dying over this, as poor Dino has teeny arms and can't cover face parts. Hee hee hee!

We're not TTC yet but I definitely would want to know ASAP what we're having. I'd also keep a chosen name private till birth.

• Options
    We are TTC. I don't care either way about the gender, but SO is desperate for a boy. He has planned out this classic car themed nursery and plans to buy an old classic car to rebuild whenever our kid is born.
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:
    MagicInk said:
    We're unpregnant right now, but we are trying to become pregnant!

We're gonna not find out the sex. Wifey wants to be surprised and so do I but also....I really don't want to end up with a lot of gender stereotype crap. If we're having a girl, it doesn't mean everything must be dollies, and frills, and pink pink pink! And if we have a boy, it doesn't mean all sports, and trucks, and blue blue blue! I figure if we don't find out, we can hedge off on people forcing our kid into a gender styrotype for at least a little while.

We're gonna do a comic book themed nursery. I'm not 100% sure how we'll pull that off yet. I'm thinking lot of bold colors, some framed photos of comic books, it's gonna be fun whatever we do.
    If we have a boy I want to do a Super Hero theme, but not too many primary colors.  I think a neutral backdrop with accents is what I want.  I have a secret Pintrest board already and I'm not pregnant (but we are TTC).

I don't want it to be so "baby" that I want to redo the room when they are three so I think by going a little more mature (for lack of a better word) in the decor and colors it will help stretch out the usefullness of the theme.

This was my whole thing. I was like "lets not do something we'll have to re-do in a few years, I'm lazy" and luckily wifey agreed with me. 

I want to get some comic books and frame them to use at art. Not necessarily comics worth anything, just some with nifty covers.
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

jenna8984 said:

@whatawagsbny Twins?! Do they run in your family? Congrats- you are so close!
    Fun fact. Twins arent a genetic thing. The reason some people think this is because there is actually a medical condition where women "hyper ovulate" or release more than one egg in a cycle. And that medical condition can be genetic and can give women a high chance of twins.

You are correct for twins that are not identical. But for identical twins, it is a genetic trait in males that causes two fetuses to develop from one egg. So a man may carry a twin gene, but a female can only carry a trait for excessive ovulation as far as twins are concerned.
  • Options
    My room was like Barbie pink all the way until I was 13. Then it got embarassing and they let me re-do it with black carpet, white walls, and black & white striped comforter & curtains. (hello beetlejuice?) I destroyed my walls with tape and tacks and everything. I know it was a pain in my dad's ass once I moved out but I really appreciate them letting me express myself at that age, so I'll probably let my kid do whatever they want to their room once they are old enough.

• Options
    I mean, we were on the fence on whether we were even going to have kids at all, so we hadn't really discussed a lot of this. When we decided to start trying (less than two months ago - you do the math), we never thought it would happen this quickly. So what I say below may change as we think things through a little more.

Boy or girl, I just want a healthy baby. People get sooo into gender stereotyping before the kid is even born - I want to stay as far away from that as possible. I want the energy to be focused on a healthy pregnancy, a healthy baby and the fact that our family is growing. Not "what we're having". DH and I may find out privately, but we won't tell people for this reason. And by privately, of course I'll tell y'all. :)

I have no idea about the nursery right now!! It won't be "baby-ish" whatever we choose, because I want the kid to be able to grow into it. Or if we use our office as the nursery, I want to be able to convert back to an office without a lot of effort. 

Mostly, I want to try to not get caught up in the hype. Just be healthy and try to keep in mind that people have been doing this for thousands of years - I am not a special pregnant snowflake! 
    When people ask you if you want a girl or a boy, the most hilarious answer is, "Yes." 
  • Options
    Speaking of pregnancy related things..... I was just on Pinterest and saw a game for a baby shower... Pin the sperm on the egg.

Nope. 

• Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    So I say I don't want to know and I really don't but sometimes I see something really really cute like all the Alice in Wonderland baby stuff and think if I knew I could buy that. Lol.
    Ohmygod, my want-to-be-a-grandma heart just exploded. My imagination just moved from cookies to an entire nursery. I am mentally covering mismatched tea party chairs with handprinted tea cup designed cushions. There must be a mushroom. And a rabbit. 
    (I had a child size Alice cabinet, for a while. The good pics are in my other computer, and this one is fuzzy, but you get it. I loved it, and wanted a child to go with it.)
    imageimage

I love that so much. Alice in Wonderland is my favorite children's book so I have been looking at a lot of Alice baby stuff
  • Options
    I've been looking at a lot of baby stuff and it is overwhelming. Not just the cute stuff but the bottles, pacifiers, bibs, bath stuff, ect. There is too much. Why can't they have like three different kinds of bottles instead of 50 million? I mean does there really have to be that many kinds of variations?
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    levioosa said:
    Speaking of pregnancy related things..... I was just on Pinterest and saw a game for a baby shower... Pin the sperm on the egg.

Nope. 
    Oh I've seen this before and totally want it at the potential shower for our possible child.

Though it'd go over awesome with my group. Because we're all 12.
    I just don't think I could ever get over doing that in front of my conservative and elderly grandmother at a baby shower.  We're all adults, but I would like us both to ignore the more factual points of baby making while together. 

• Options
    Money,money buy buy buy.

There is too much stuff that really does not improve anything for baby or parents. Lots of keeping up with the Joneses as with Christmas shopping overload and pushing products through kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards