Chit Chat
Options

Male or female officiant?

tcnobletcnoble member
First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
edited January 2015 in Chit Chat
Which did you have/which do you prefer?? We get assigned an officiant through our venue. Just curious about others' experiences and preferences.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Male or female officiant? 79 votes

Male
22% 18 votes
Female
25% 20 votes
I don't/didn't care
51% 41 votes

Re: Male or female officiant?

• Options

I voted male simply because we had a male officiant and he was absolutely wonderful, so I am completely biased.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I had a male officiant, because he was recommended to me and he was good. Why would I have a preference, though?
  • Options
    I don't see any reason why this would matter. If they're good, they're good. Like a MUA or DJ. 

Mine was a male because we asked my brother to do it since we knew he'd love it and he'd be good at it. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Ours is male, but we just hit it off when we interviewed him.  I don't have a preference either way myself, if it would have been a woman and we got along, I would have hired her.

• Options
    I don't get why there would be a preference - shouldn't it be down to the individual's skills and personality, which have nothing to do with gender? It's not like he or she is going to be taking you out back to examine your maidenhead...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I voted female because ours was female, but I didn't care one way or the other. It just turned out that the only friend we have who was ordained is female.

I have no idea why it would ever matter though.
  • Options
    I didn't have a preference but our officiant was female. Originally we were gonna ask one of our other ordained friends who is male, but he wasn't sure he'd be able to make it out so we asked her since she's local and also a friend.
  • Options
    Our officiant is one of FIs best friends.  Turns out that friend is a man, but it wouldn't have mattered to me!
  • Options
    We are Catholic, so we really didn't have a choice in the matter.
  • Options
    Our officiant was female, but I didn't have a preference. She was great!

• Options
    This is one of those things that doesn't really matter. We interviewed a lady officiant who was highly recommended by all of our vendors, but H and her didn't click. We ended up the pastor of my parents church. 

I mean, dudes are more common because some religions don't allow for lady preachers, but unless you are marrying and want someone from that religion officiating, it doesn't matter.

Anniversary
  • Options
    We had a male officiant. It was one of my H's best friends. 
  • Options
    We don't have a preference either. Our venue provides us with an officiant and we were looking over their website this weekend, and noticed they had male and female officiants. We've only seen male officiants at the weddings we have been to so FI asked me if we were going to specify one way or another - we aren't. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Depending on how you look at it, we either had both, or none, since we self-united. 

I would think it's odd to prefer one gender over another for almost any job. Other than my gyno, it's hard for me to think of any time I've thought "I need to hire a man (or woman) for this job."
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    Our officiant didn't sign the marriage license with their genitalia so I'm not sure why it matters.
    Wait a second...they aren't supposed to use their gentials to sign?

I knew something seemed fishy when she took off her pants.
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I am having a female because it's my oldest sister!!! I do not care if my officiant is a boy or girl. 

I think the stupidest thing you can ever do is judge someone's abilities based on gender, race or looks. So IDFK what the point of this poll was. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I don't get why it matters. Our venue assigned us an officiant too and asked for a preference. I said that I don't have one, whomever would do a good job is fine. So they assigned us a woman (we haven't met her yet but we a set an appointment to soon). Well word went down the grapevine I guess and I'm already getting a little crap for it.

"...but it won't look good in the pictures" -Sure it will. I doubt she's going to dress badly. She's a professional after all.

"...but a man would make it more official" -No it wouldn't. A female officiant would make it just as legal as a male. Gender is not a threat to the legality of our marriage.

Some people... =_=

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    daria24 said:
    Depending on how you look at it, we either had both, or none, since we self-united. 

I would think it's odd to prefer one gender over another for almost any job. Other than my gyno, it's hard for me to think of any time I've thought "I need to hire a man (or woman) for this job."
    I prefer a woman for pedicures. I don't think the guy at my particular place understands how badly it hurts when he hacks away at my cuticles like he's cutting through jungle underbrush. 
    And I usually prefer male massage therapists because they tend to have larger hands and a little more power behind them (but I get deep-tissue ones, so I find it makes a difference.) I've had good women therapists though.

Other than that...nope. Can't see how gender would affect this one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    daria24 said:

I prefer a woman for pedicures. I don't think the guy at my particular place understands how badly it hurts when he hacks away at my cuticles like he's cutting through jungle underbrush. 
    Oooh I admit that I do prefer that too. And I will also admit I prefer a female massage therapist. Basically anyone that has to touch me for extended periods of time or turn me into a hand puppet. 
  • Options
    I voted male because we asked a really good friend who happened to be a man to officiate our ceremony.  Gender doesn't matter in this situation.  If they are good they are good.  Having a penis or a vagina doesn't make one better then the other.

• Options
    vulpiepop said:
    I don't get why it matters. Our venue assigned us an officiant too and asked for a preference. I said that I don't have one, whomever would do a good job is fine. So they assigned us a woman (we haven't met her yet but we a set an appointment to soon). Well word went down the grapevine I guess and I'm already getting a little crap for it.

"...but it won't look good in the pictures" -Sure it will. I doubt she's going to dress badly. She's a professional after all.

"...but a man would make it more official" -No it wouldn't. A female officiant would make it just as legal as a male. Gender is not a threat to the legality of our marriage.

Some people... =_=
    This. I think FI might be a little concerned what some of his very traditional family members may think but I reminded him that hasn't effected our decisions up to this point, so it won't start now.

And FWIW, female for pedicures, female for massages, but I do love my male chiropractor!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We've contracted with a male officiant.

I didn't care which we had, but the female officiants we saw at wedding shows were either too new-agey, or too religious for us.

• Options
    vulpiepop said:

Some people... =_=
    A man would make it more official?!  WTF?  Is this 1815?!
  • Options
    vulpiepop said:

Some people... =_=
    A man would make it more official?!  WTF?  Is this 1815?!
    And they say sexism isn't present in our modern society. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Whoever is cheaper and promises not to use the opportunity to preach about anything.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    I don't have a gender preference, but the pastor we clicked with is female. She was my pastor through my undergrad years and we already have an established relationship.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards