Chit Chat
Options

Why do people not learn their lesson?

A year ago, my good friend signed up for a "Run to Home Base" 10k that ends on home plate at Fenway Park. Well since that would be really popular, in order to keep the participants low (and easier to manage) they had a mandatory $1,000 fundraising fee. There is no backing out, if you don't raise the money you have pre-authorized your credit card for the remainder. Well she only raised $200. Her and her boyfriend are pretty much paycheck to paycheck so they bailed on coming to Vegas with us- which was already booked. They were so bummed because they have never been out West. They got vouchers for their flights to use at another time and they used the money that would have gone towards hotel and spending to pay for the run. (We still went to Vegas so it didn't affect us). 

But you'd think she would learn a lesson and never do something like that again...right? Apparently not. She just posted on FB her fundraising page for a marathon and it said goal $1,000. I texted her just curious and asked if it was mandatory or just for fun/personal goal. She said mandatory. I'm just like shocked that she would do that again. It's not like she raised 90% last time....she was not even close!! 
Obviously it's none of my business if she has to pay it again and she's free to do what she wants with her money but come on, have to shake my head. There are millions of runs she could have chosen for free (or $30 entrance fee). 

Re: Why do people not learn their lesson?

• Options
    Yikes. Idk what would give her the impression that THIS TIME everyone else had a bunch more money to throw at her.

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    Unless I was 1000% certain that I could raise the money there is no way in hell I would sign up for a race where a certain dollar point was mandatory.

Also, if I was living paycheck to paycheck paying to enter any race would not be something I would be doing.  That race entry fee would be better spent on grocceries or the electric bill or, you know, building up their savings.

• Options
    Holy crap. Every year I do a charity walk with a goal but it's not mandatory. Every year I fully expect to pay the goal + $100 myself. Your friend is nuts. No wonder she's living paycheck to paycheck.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    That is insane. I'd think it was nuts to do it the first time, but again?! I hope for her sake she has generous friends to help her reach the goal.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I gave $25 because that's my standard charity amount a few times per year. But yea she's fucking crazy!

• Options
    It sounds like wishful thinking.  In order to raise that kind of money most people need to go outside their circle of immediate family and friends.  And try hitting people up in a town that's not so bloody expensive to live in.  

As it is, most people I know allocate their charitable donations in advance.  I know I don't have a high discretionary donation pool.  It sucks turning friends down, but unless I have a lot of notice, I've probably already set aside or sent off my monthly donation money.  
  • Options
    There is no way I could raise $1,000 to run. To humiliate myself doing something totally. Hell I know 4 people who'd each write that check alone (my parents). But just to run? Hell naw.
  • Options
    Please tell me she is not in a job that involves finances.  

I'm all for helping others, but charity does start at home.  Someone who is living paycheck to paycheck has no business writing $800 to run a 10K.  Even if you get to set on home plate at Fenway.  

10Ks are a dime a dozen around most metropolitan cities.  I'm sure she can find one to run for a whole lot less.    Then when she has a little more money in her pocket she can run to home plate.

Anyone else wonder how much that $1k goes towards admin costs anyway?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    That rule sounds like a really good way to turn people off to your fundraiser. If people really want to volunteer, have some of the volunteers manage all the runners.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

I'm all for helping others, but charity does start at home.  Someone who is living paycheck to paycheck has no business writing $800 to run a 10K.  Even if you get to set on home plate at Fenway.  

10Ks are a dime a dozen around most metropolitan cities.  I'm sure she can find one to run for a whole lot less.    Then when she has a little more money in her pocket she can run to home plate.

So I do not have supporting documentation (can't remember where I read this) but apparently there is a pretty large community of serious runners who HATE charity runs because the admin costs (among other things) are a huge chunk of the donations. I want to say there were other objections to charity runs as well, but now I can't recall them.

Whenever I decide to go against my better judgment and run a race (I am slow, not a great endurance athlete, and I get SO BORED), I am one to pick the cheaper ones. The most expensive race I did was the NY Triathlon, which, say what you will about race costs, was a huge logistical project and one of the most well run events I've ever participated in. But asking me to raise extra $$ on top of my entry fee? Never.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    WOW. I'm not trying to be judgey, but if you're already living almost paycheck to paycheck, why would you risk having to be out $1,000? And then after making only $200 the first time, why would you do it again? I would be majorly shaking my head too.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    And this is why H and I run races that usually cost no more than $75-$100, and even then only do them if we can afford to. I cannot imagine spending $800 on a race and then signing up for the same punishment all over again.
  • Options
    Unless I was 1000% certain that I could raise the money there is no way in hell I would sign up for a race where a certain dollar point was mandatory.

Also, if I was living paycheck to paycheck paying to enter any race would not be something I would be doing.  That race entry fee would be better spent on grocceries or the electric bill or, you know, building up their savings.
    Meh. I agree that I wouldn't enter this type of race (seriously? MANDATORY amount of donations? No.) But poor people are allowed to have hobbies too. I live paycheck to paycheck, but we aren't starving or anything and i'll be damned if i'm not going to do something I enjoy (like run a 5k, go to the movies, buy a book to read) on occasion/when I can.
    That is very true. It is important for people of all incomes to enjoy recreation and leisure (I'm a parks and rec professional) as it improves health (physically and mentally) which can improve job opportunities.

However, a $1000 hobby is a lot different than a $30 hobby or even a $200 hobby.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

I thought the same thing. At the charity walk I do, the goal amount is for the charity to break even for me to even be there. So I always aim to give at least $100 on top of that. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    emmaaa said:

Meh. I agree that I wouldn't enter this type of race (seriously? MANDATORY amount of donations? No.) But poor people are allowed to have hobbies too. I live paycheck to paycheck, but we aren't starving or anything and i'll be damned if i'm not going to do something I enjoy (like run a 5k, go to the movies, buy a book to read) on occasion/when I can.
    That is very true. It is important for people of all incomes to enjoy recreation and leisure (I'm a parks and rec professional) as it improves health (physically and mentally) which can improve job opportunities.

However, a $1000 hobby is a lot different than a $30 hobby or even a $200 hobby.
    Yes, but you can very easily run a 5k without paying an entrance fee.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    emmaaa said:

Yeah, exactly why I said a $1000 hobby is a lot different than a $30 hobby.

• Options
    emmaaa said:
    KatWAG said:
    emmaaa said:

Yeah, exactly why I said a $1000 hobby is a lot different than a $30 hobby.
    I don't think anyone disagrees with that. I was specifically responding to the implication that people who live paycheck to paycheck shouldn't spend ANY money on hobbies/"non-essentials", here:

• Options

I never said that poor people or people who live paycheck to paycheck are not allowed to have hobbies.  
    No, you just implied that they were somehow irresponsible/wrong for doing so. See above.
  • Options
    These kinds of events frustrate me, because even though it's a charitable donation and all that, I don't think it's appropriate to essentially ask my friends to subsidize whatever it is I'm doing. $1000 is way too steep for me, so asking my friends to contribute also seems unfair. But I have a thing about fundraising and I refuse to canvass people under any circumstances. If I'm doing something like this with a mandatory fundraising component (which I have a few times) I just pay for it myself. My donation for my activity seems like the only fair way. I figure if my friends and family wanted to donate to whatever cause, they'd do it themselves.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

When I worked for the American Diabetes Association they had the same rule for their big bike race fundraiser - you had to pay the minimum fundraising amount or you couldn't do the race. However, if you didn't raise the money (like OP's friend) you could choose to not participate the day of. We only took people's credit card info. if they hadn't come up with the minimum the day of the race. But if you had signed up and just didn't show, you were off the hook.

People also had an addition 2 months to finish raising the minimum amount before their card was charged for the balance.

• Options
    amelisha said:
    These kinds of events frustrate me, because even though it's a charitable donation and all that, I don't think it's appropriate to essentially ask my friends to subsidize whatever it is I'm doing. $1000 is way too steep for me, so asking my friends to contribute also seems unfair. But I have a thing about fundraising and I refuse to canvass people under any circumstances. If I'm doing something like this with a mandatory fundraising component (which I have a few times) I just pay for it myself. My donation for my activity seems like the only fair way. I figure if my friends and family wanted to donate to whatever cause, they'd do it themselves.
    I've had a deep aversion of canvassing since I was little. My elementary school did Jump Rope for Heart, and you were supposed to get people to sponsor you (like, 1 penny per minute jumped or some such). I couldn't stomach it even when I was six; I just jumped my little heart out and donated whatever my mom put in.

Hell, I couldn't even sell Girl Scout cookies without feeling bad, and people LOVE Girl Scout Cookies. I lack the selling gene.

Me too! In college, I worked as a bank teller. I got yelled at and failed performance reviews because I didn't try to sell people on savings CDs. I worked at Applebee's and I got yelled at for not trying to upsell people on Perfect Margaritas. I worked at Bath & Body Works and I wouldn't go up to people and offer to put lotion on their hands, so I got demoted to the stocking room. I just cannot sell- I believe if people wanted something, they'd fucking ask for it!

So I also hate asking friends for money. I don't care if it's for charity, I don't do it.

This particular girl thinks that she has time on her side. "But I have until May!" Ok dude, well when all your friends give $20 and you stall out at $200 again....people aren't going to forget and give you more in 3 months. Once your resources have been tapped, more time does not help you.

• Options
    amelisha said:
    I've had a deep aversion of canvassing since I was little. My elementary school did Jump Rope for Heart, and you were supposed to get people to sponsor you (like, 1 penny per minute jumped or some such). I couldn't stomach it even when I was six; I just jumped my little heart out and donated whatever my mom put in.

Hell, I couldn't even sell Girl Scout cookies without feeling bad, and people LOVE Girl Scout Cookies. I lack the selling gene.
    ME TOO, completely. I was in Guiding as a kid and was a leader later, and the only reason I could tolerate the cookie thing as a leader was that at least people actually got cookies out of it. I always hated it, though, even though I put up with it. Sales and I do not get along either.

I never even sell tickets to my own concerts...which is why I only do music stuff I get asked to perform in and never do my own stuff or audition for stuff or anything. I will go to great lengths to avoid asking people to buy stuff off me, donate to me, come see my show, etc etc. And I hate it when people ask me too, which is why I'm so violently opposed to all those freaking multi-level-marketing "party" companies too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I never said that poor people or people who live paycheck to paycheck are not allowed to have hobbies.  
    No, you just implied that they were somehow irresponsible/wrong for doing so. See above.
    Oh FFS.  Please read my response again.  I said if I was living paycheck to paycheck, the last thing that I would do is enter any race.  I, I, I.  So sorry to give my opinion about something.  I also believe that if one is living paycheck to paycheck then one should really consider what they are spending their money on and if a race is really essential or necessary.  I mean if someone wants to run a 5K they can do so without having to pay to enter into a race.  But I, personally, would not feel comfortable spending money on a race when I know that I could use that money elsewhere. Again, please note that I used the word I, as in it is my opinion.  I never once said that certain people aren't allowed to have hobbies.

• Options
    Wait. OP is it the Boston Marathon?
    For Boston, you either must qualify for it with a very fast time or join a charity. Since Boston is such a desired race, yes, people commit to raising a boatload for charity just for the privilege of running it, if they're not fast enough to qualify otherwise. 

Chicago's marathon became such a hot ticket that last year it moved to a lottery system, like the NYC. If you don't make it in the lottery, your only choice is to join a charity and pay the minimum. 

Charities can command high minimums for hot races, but I've never heard of an actual race with the minimum charity requirement. Big difference. I have 35 races of varying lengths under my belt. There are different events, such as the Komen Walk for the Cure, which require fundraising, but those are different events from your usual road races of 5k to 26.2.  

• Options
    @thisismynickname Nope, not the Boston Marathon. I know they have ridiculous qualification times, many of my friends have tried and not made it. This one she's doing is in Providence.

• Options
    Wait. OP is it the Boston Marathon?
    For Boston, you either must qualify for it with a very fast time or join a charity. Since Boston is such a desired race, yes, people commit to raising a boatload for charity just for the privilege of running it, if they're not fast enough to qualify otherwise. 

Chicago's marathon became such a hot ticket that last year it moved to a lottery system, like the NYC. If you don't make it in the lottery, your only choice is to join a charity and pay the minimum. 

Charities can command high minimums for hot races, but I've never heard of an actual race with the minimum charity requirement. Big difference. I have 35 races of varying lengths under my belt. There are different events, such as the Komen Walk for the Cure, which require fundraising, but those are different events from your usual road races of 5k to 26.2.  
    The charity minimum for Boston is a lot higher than $1000. It's usually above $5000, depending on the charity. 

As far as how much of that money goes to admin cost, I only know the % for Team in Training/Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. On average 73% of funds raised go to fund research/patient support programs. The rest covers race entrance fees, travel, and admin. That can vary because for something like the WDW Marathon, the funds cover two nights hotel stay, the inspiration dinner, etc. But for a local half marathon where participants are driving themselves to the race, it's more than 73%. If you donate directly to LLS I believe it's 94% goes directly to research/support.

But I know their are charity races where the % is abysmal. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards