Chit Chat
Options

Why do people not learn their lesson?

13»

Re: Why do people not learn their lesson?

• Options
    I live in a food desert, pretty much. There's nothing in this town, and nearest big city is an hour in any direction. HOWEVER. Some local hipsters opened a mixology bar with STUPIDLY good food, including poutine. How this shit hole town has no Italian restaurant, no Greek, no Mediterranean, no good burger place, yet it has poutine, is like a gift from God. Except I'm atheist so... I don't know who the gift is from but I'm so fucking thankful. 
  • Options
    I live in a food desert, pretty much. There's nothing in this town, and nearest big city is an hour in any direction. HOWEVER. Some local hipsters opened a mixology bar with STUPIDLY good food, including poutine. How this shit hole town has no Italian restaurant, no Greek, no Mediterranean, no good burger place, yet it has poutine, is like a gift from God. Except I'm atheist so... I don't know who the gift is from but I'm so fucking thankful. 
    Damn! How many people are in your town? Where I am my town is considered small and we have 15k residents. We are only one exit on the highway and maybe 10 miles wide but even we have an Italian, a Japanese, and a Thai restaurant.

• Options
    levioosa said:
    lc07 said:
    I know we're not talking about running anymore but I'm on Pacific time you guys and I can't fucking keep up.

So I don't get it. I can walk outside and run wherever the Hell I want to go for free. I'm not going to fucking PAY to do something so boring and uncomfortable.

I'm in the same boat.  I just played Oregon Trail for an hour.  And I failed each time.  I was not cut out for the thug trail life. 

I got my share of running in track in high school.  I'm definitely not paying for it any more.  

I still have no idea what the hell "dressed chips" are.  
    All Dressed, boo bear. ALL Dressed. They are Canadian, and not commonly found down here, but I had them when I visited and now I am obsessed:

This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Nope, nope, nope. The only chips worth eating are Better Made Barbecue ones.
  • Options
    @katieinbkln I had Lays Oregano in Greece and I'm so pissed that I can't get it here. I even looked online to order and it's impossible.

• Options
    pinkrevenge said:
    ShesSoCold said:
    We don't have poutine though. My spellcheck doesn't even recognize it as a real word.
    Speak for yourself. In MN there is regular poutine, veggie poutine, chilli poutine, and tater tot poutine.
    Even in Pittsburgh I can get all sorts of awesome varieties of poutine! GOD I LOVE IT SO MUCH. 

(Also, oh god, I tried to fix the boxes in the editor and I can tell already it's going to be a disaster. :()
  • Options
    But do they have "simulated flavor"? (Just now saw that on the All Dressed image, haha).
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    But do they have "simulated flavor"? (Just now saw that on the All Dressed image, haha).
    Haha, they have amazing flavor.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I don't like sweet chips except for sriracha ones. BBQ does almost nothing for me. Salt and vinegar tend to be so vinegar they make my tongue go numb.

H is a diehard plain chip person and I don't know why. He's like, anti-flavor.
    I'm with your H.  I only really like Ruffles Original Wavy Chip.  It's not that I'm against flavor, it's just that the flavored ones taste so fake to me.

• Options
    levioosa said:
    I don't like sweet chips except for sriracha ones. BBQ does almost nothing for me. Salt and vinegar tend to be so vinegar they make my tongue go numb.

I'm with your H.  I only really like Ruffles Original Wavy Chip.  It's not that I'm against flavor, it's just that the flavored ones taste so fake to me.
    I will only eat plain or sour cream & onion.....which taste nothing like sour cream or onion. haha

• Options
    @amelisha My husband went snowboarding in Canada a few years ago and wants to know if ya'll still have Mint Sprite?  

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @amelisha My husband went snowboarding in Canada a few years ago and wants to know if ya'll still have Mint Sprite?  
    I didn't know we ever HAD Mint Sprite, haha. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    jenna8984 said:
    I didn't know we ever HAD Mint Sprite, haha. 

OMG I've never even heard of this!

Also to join the chip debate, all dressed chips I can take em or leave em, but ketchup chips are seriously the best things ever.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    levioosa said:

Yeah I don't eat a lot of potato chips, flavored or otherwise, but there's something about the pure, unadulterated greasy saltiness of plain chips. Especially Ruffles.

Now, Black Pepper Jack Doritos, on the other hand... SWOON. And I could (and have) eat a whole bag of plain Tostitos in one sitting.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Damn! How many people are in your town? Where I am my town is considered small and we have 15k residents. We are only one exit on the highway and maybe 10 miles wide but even we have an Italian, a Japanese, and a Thai restaurant.
    I think that's about the size of this town too. Plus we have 3 huge companies that are all part of the same industry, so there's some major wealth packed into this tiny place. Therefore, we have a Japanese steak house that's amazing, and 3 high-end sushi places, and modern/fusion/whatever super expensive fancy place, and a good seafood place, and then a bunch of shitty gross chain restaurants. But none of the stuff I mentioned in that post, and definitely no Thai. (How do you have multiple sushi restaurants but not one Italian restaurant? How???) 
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    I think that's about the size of this town too. Plus we have 3 huge companies that are all part of the same industry, so there's some major wealth packed into this tiny place. Therefore, we have a Japanese steak house that's amazing, and 3 high-end sushi places, and modern/fusion/whatever super expensive fancy place, and a good seafood place, and then a bunch of shitty gross chain restaurants. But none of the stuff I mentioned in that post, and definitely no Thai. (How do you have multiple sushi restaurants but not one Italian restaurant? How???) 
    That's pretty messed up. Not even an Olive Garden for emergencies?!

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    That's pretty messed up. Not even an Olive Garden for emergencies?!
    Nope. Not even an Olive Garden. :( 
  • Options
    Yeah...name a Mexican food. I can get it. But no access to any Canadian food. 

But see Canada is like WAY UP THERE where as Mexico is like...right there.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

Yeah I'm smack-dab in the middle of the midwest and even we have tons of awesome Mexican food in this town. I can get good Mexican, good Chinese food, good pizza, and good sushi (like I said in previous posts) but absolutely nothing else. I feel like half the people here couldn't even point to Canada on a map. Not cuz of stupidity, but because this town seems to exist inside its own little isolated bubble, and it is weird. 
  • Options
    alpacalunchalpacalunch member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    amelisha said:
    LOL. I think the concept of "all-dressed" is that they have everything on them at once. I only eat salt and vinegar so I'm the wrong person to ask though. And I have only eaten one ketchup chip in my life (WORST), which I'm pretty sure is enough to get my Canadian citizenship revoked if anyone finds out about it.

I don't know what Joe Beef is, though, @KatieInBkln.

We're just generally a bit more restrained up here - like, there's plenty of calorific deep-fried stuff, but the idea of, like, combining a burger with mac and cheese that has also been deep fried would never happen unless it got imported from you. You guys just fully have the monopoly on these "oh my god, we should totally put THIS on THIS and roll it in sugar and deep fry it and serve it with four sauces!" ideas. As a culture you dream big, hahahaha.

I miss visiting my relatives in Iowa when it was time for the state fair. Good grief, that is some inventive food.

Restrained is definitely a good word for English Canada, it's the Frenchies that have all the fun.

Also, Joe Beef makes me think of Chuck Hughes who is just a handsome man that I want to show you all. 

(He runs Garde Manger in Montreal)
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    LOL. I think the concept of "all-dressed" is that they have everything on them at once. I only eat salt and vinegar so I'm the wrong person to ask though. And I have only eaten one ketchup chip in my life (WORST), which I'm pretty sure is enough to get my Canadian citizenship revoked if anyone finds out about it.

I don't know what Joe Beef is, though, @KatieInBkln.

We're just generally a bit more restrained up here - like, there's plenty of calorific deep-fried stuff, but the idea of, like, combining a burger with mac and cheese that has also been deep fried would never happen unless it got imported from you. You guys just fully have the monopoly on these "oh my god, we should totally put THIS on THIS and roll it in sugar and deep fry it and serve it with four sauces!" ideas. As a culture you dream big, hahahaha.

I miss visiting my relatives in Iowa when it was time for the state fair. Good grief, that is some inventive food.

Restrained is definitely a good word for English Canada, it's the Frenchies that have all the fun.

Also, Joe Beef makes me think of Chuck Hughes who is just a handsome man that I want to show you all. 

(He runs Garde Manger in Montreal)
    I love Chuck! I get such a kick out of his shows on the Food Network.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    MagicInk said:

Make yourself some poutine, some back bac- oh sorry, Canadian bacon, maple syrup, and some Molson. There's our national heritage right there. 

And, of course, different chip flavours.

For years you guys didn't have Salt & Vinegar chips, my aunt used to smuggle them down by the case (as well as OTC allergy meds)
  • Options
    And Caesars, don't forget Caesars.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh! And Smarties! That's Canadian right?

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    Oh! And Smarties! That's Canadian right?
    The good chocolatey ones are, yes. I think what you guys call Smarties we call Rockets (and they're disgusting by any name).

All Dressed are all right; you can get All Dressed Crispers and shit too. But guise, srsly:

This is where it's at.
  • Options
    Apparently Dunkaroos still exist in Canada. My favorite Canadian sent me a huge box. :)
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Apparently Dunkaroos still exist in Canada. My favorite Canadian sent me a huge box. :)
    Yep, still have Dunkaroos. 

Ooooh, and Coffee Crisp! I love Coffee Crisp.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards