Chit Chat
Options

Why do people not learn their lesson?

Re: Why do people not learn their lesson?

• Options
    amelisha said:
    These kinds of events frustrate me, because even though it's a charitable donation and all that, I don't think it's appropriate to essentially ask my friends to subsidize whatever it is I'm doing. $1000 is way too steep for me, so asking my friends to contribute also seems unfair. But I have a thing about fundraising and I refuse to canvass people under any circumstances. If I'm doing something like this with a mandatory fundraising component (which I have a few times) I just pay for it myself. My donation for my activity seems like the only fair way. I figure if my friends and family wanted to donate to whatever cause, they'd do it themselves.
    I've had a deep aversion of canvassing since I was little. My elementary school did Jump Rope for Heart, and you were supposed to get people to sponsor you (like, 1 penny per minute jumped or some such). I couldn't stomach it even when I was six; I just jumped my little heart out and donated whatever my mom put in.

Hell, I couldn't even sell Girl Scout cookies without feeling bad, and people LOVE Girl Scout Cookies. I lack the selling gene.
    Amen. I was the fat kid that wanted to do Jump Rope for Heart so people like, emptied their wallets and I felt super guilty.

Even with our parents contributing to the wedding, I feel super guilty.

Don't even get me started on Girl Guide cookies. When I started selling them they were 2 bucks a box. Now they're 5 bucks a box.
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    These kinds of events frustrate me, because even though it's a charitable donation and all that, I don't think it's appropriate to essentially ask my friends to subsidize whatever it is I'm doing. $1000 is way too steep for me, so asking my friends to contribute also seems unfair. But I have a thing about fundraising and I refuse to canvass people under any circumstances. If I'm doing something like this with a mandatory fundraising component (which I have a few times) I just pay for it myself. My donation for my activity seems like the only fair way. I figure if my friends and family wanted to donate to whatever cause, they'd do it themselves.
    I've had a deep aversion of canvassing since I was little. My elementary school did Jump Rope for Heart, and you were supposed to get people to sponsor you (like, 1 penny per minute jumped or some such). I couldn't stomach it even when I was six; I just jumped my little heart out and donated whatever my mom put in.

Hell, I couldn't even sell Girl Scout cookies without feeling bad, and people LOVE Girl Scout Cookies. I lack the selling gene.
    Amen. I was the fat kid that wanted to do Jump Rope for Heart so people like, emptied their wallets and I felt super guilty.

Even with our parents contributing to the wedding, I feel super guilty.

Don't even get me started on Girl Guide cookies. When I started selling them they were 2 bucks a box. Now they're 5 bucks a box.
    Where do you live that they are $5 a box?! I just ordered some from my coworker's daughter and they were $3.50. I swear they were $4 a pop last year so I was happy to pay less this time around.
  • Options
    Unless I was 1000% certain that I could raise the money there is no way in hell I would sign up for a race where a certain dollar point was mandatory.

Also, if I was living paycheck to paycheck paying to enter any race would not be something I would be doing.  That race entry fee would be better spent on grocceries or the electric bill or, you know, building up their savings.
    Meh. I agree that I wouldn't enter this type of race (seriously? MANDATORY amount of donations? No.) But poor people are allowed to have hobbies too. I live paycheck to paycheck, but we aren't starving or anything and i'll be damned if i'm not going to do something I enjoy (like run a 5k, go to the movies, buy a book to read) on occasion/when I can.
    I never said that poor people or people who live paycheck to paycheck are not allowed to have hobbies.  
    No, you just implied that they were somehow irresponsible/wrong for doing so. See above.
    Oh FFS.  Please read my response again.  I said if I was living paycheck to paycheck, the last thing that I would do is enter any race.  I, I, I.  So sorry to give my opinion about something.  I also believe that if one is living paycheck to paycheck then one should really consider what they are spending their money on and if a race is really essential or necessary.  I mean if someone wants to run a 5K they can do so without having to pay to enter into a race.  But I, personally, would not feel comfortable spending money on a race when I know that I could use that money elsewhere. Again, please note that I used the word I, as in it is my opinion.  I never once said that certain people aren't allowed to have hobbies.
  • Options
    @cupcait927, they are in Canada. No one minds much because they do support Guiding programs and all that, but yeah. $5. We only sell two kinds, too - chocolate and vanilla sandwich cookies in the spring (one row of chocolate and one of vanilla in each box) and chocolate covered chocolate mint in the fall. There was a big uproar a few years ago when they changed recipes to eliminate trans fats, too, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Unless I was 1000% certain that I could raise the money there is no way in hell I would sign up for a race where a certain dollar point was mandatory.

Also, if I was living paycheck to paycheck paying to enter any race would not be something I would be doing.  That race entry fee would be better spent on grocceries or the electric bill or, you know, building up their savings.
    Meh. I agree that I wouldn't enter this type of race (seriously? MANDATORY amount of donations? No.) But poor people are allowed to have hobbies too. I live paycheck to paycheck, but we aren't starving or anything and i'll be damned if i'm not going to do something I enjoy (like run a 5k, go to the movies, buy a book to read) on occasion/when I can.
    I never said that poor people or people who live paycheck to paycheck are not allowed to have hobbies.  
    No, you just implied that they were somehow irresponsible/wrong for doing so. See above.
    Oh FFS.  Please read my response again.  I said if I was living paycheck to paycheck, the last thing that I would do is enter any race.  I, I, I.  So sorry to give my opinion about something.  I also believe that if one is living paycheck to paycheck then one should really consider what they are spending their money on and if a race is really essential or necessary.  I mean if someone wants to run a 5K they can do so without having to pay to enter into a race.  But I, personally, would not feel comfortable spending money on a race when I know that I could use that money elsewhere. Again, please note that I used the word I, as in it is my opinion.  I never once said that certain people aren't allowed to have hobbies.
    Right back at ya.

• Options
    amelisha said:
    @cupcait927, they are in Canada. No one minds much because they do support Guiding programs and all that, but yeah. $5. We only sell two kinds, too - chocolate and vanilla sandwich cookies in the spring (one row of chocolate and one of vanilla in each box) and chocolate covered chocolate mint in the fall. There was a big uproar a few years ago when they changed recipes to eliminate trans fats, too, lol.
    Thank you for knowing everything about me and Canada lol Before you were here I felt like I was bloody nuts talking about Canada and our weirdness.
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    amelisha said:
    Thank you for knowing everything about me and Canada lol Before you were here I felt like I was bloody nuts talking about Canada and our weirdness.

We kind of are sad and 
    weird in the cookie department though - do you know how many kinds there are in the US? Tons, and they all have cute names and everything. We get totally shafted in the cookie department.

Kind of in the food department in general...these bitches have everything. Someone posted something on my "one food for the rest of your life" thread about a burger with fried mac and cheese on it. America doesn't care how fat you get if they can deep fry it or put sugar in it, and it's kind of amazing. Totally jealous, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    amelisha said:

We kind of are sad and weird in the cookie department though - do you know how many kinds there are in the US? Tons, and they all have cute names and everything. We get totally shafted in the cookie department.

Kind of in the food department in general...these bitches have everything. Someone posted something on my "one food for the rest of your life" thread about a burger with fried mac and cheese on it. America doesn't care how fat you get if they can deep fry it or put sugar in it, and it's kind of amazing. Totally jealous, lol.
    Oh wow!! They also have caesar salad potato chips and I'm kind of jealous of that. Something I'm not jealous of: The Double Down Dog. That sounds awful.
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    amelisha said:

We kind of are sad and weird in the cookie department though - do you know how many kinds there are in the US? Tons, and they all have cute names and everything. We get totally shafted in the cookie department.

I mean...you guys have All Dressed chips?

I know, I know. Small consolation.

Although I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the existence of Joe Beef as proof that Canadians can sell gluttony to their citizens, too. ;)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    We don't have poutine though. My spellcheck doesn't even recognize it as a real word.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    amelisha said:

Although I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the existence of Joe Beef as proof that Canadians can sell gluttony to their citizens, too. ;)
    I accidentally ordered a case of all dressed chips. FI wanted ketchup. Next time I go to NYC I'll bring them for you.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:

I accidentally ordered a case of all dressed chips. FI wanted ketchup. Next time I go to NYC I'll bring them for you.
    They are so fucking GOOOOOD.
  • Options
    Never heard of all dressed chips

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    I can't describe them but they are delicious. There is a BuzzFeed video with Americans trying Canadian snacks and the chips are described as "barely barbecue"

Anniversary
  • Options
    We don't have poutine though. My spellcheck doesn't even recognize it as a real word.
    I just heard of this for the first time last week and now I think about it a lot. 

It sounds like the perfect food to eat after too much to drink. Eliminates the guilt. 
  • Options
    amelisha said:

I'm gonna put that fried mac and cheese burger on a donut for a bun and become a bazillionaire.
    I would invest in this. 

Lots of cardiovascular surgeons might like to also.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    maeday2 said:
    I just heard of this for the first time last week and now I think about it a lot. 

It sounds like the perfect food to eat after too much to drink. Eliminates the guilt. 
    YES. There's a restaurant near me that has AMAZING brunch poutine with a fried egg on top. It. Is. GLORIOUS. Especially with a bloody mary.

• Options
    Sorry, folks, but the best drunk/hungover food starts on page 2 of this menu. And yes, we treated our guests to these after our wedding because we are awesome (and were super drunk).

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    All Dressed chips are amazing. I think they taste a little like potatoes with Italian dressing, but lighter. It's been a while since I've had them.

I also pick up KinderEggs whenever I head over to Canada. They're banned in the U.S. because Precious Snowflakes might choke on the toys. /eyeroll   I used to have a bunch of the toys in my cubicle. I love putting them together. 

You can get poutine at a couple places in the Detroit area and Antler's restaurant in Sault Ste. Marie (Michigan). I can't speak to its taste, though. I've never tried it (in either country).
  • Options
    LOL. I think the concept of "all-dressed" is that they have everything on them at once. I only eat salt and vinegar so I'm the wrong person to ask though. And I have only eaten one ketchup chip in my life (WORST), which I'm pretty sure is enough to get my Canadian citizenship revoked if anyone finds out about it.

I don't know what Joe Beef is, though, @KatieInBkln.

We're just generally a bit more restrained up here - like, there's plenty of calorific deep-fried stuff, but the idea of, like, combining a burger with mac and cheese that has also been deep fried would never happen unless it got imported from you. You guys just fully have the monopoly on these "oh my god, we should totally put THIS on THIS and roll it in sugar and deep fry it and serve it with four sauces!" ideas. As a culture you dream big, hahahaha.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    LOL. I think the concept of "all-dressed" is that they have everything on them at once. I only eat salt and vinegar so I'm the wrong person to ask though. And I have only eaten one ketchup chip in my life (WORST), which I'm pretty sure is enough to get my Canadian citizenship revoked if anyone finds out about it.

We're just generally a bit more restrained up here - like, there's plenty of calorific deep-fried stuff, but the idea of, like, combining a burger with mac and cheese that has also been deep fried would never happen unless it got imported from you. You guys just fully have the monopoly on these "oh my god, we should totally put THIS on THIS and roll it in sugar and deep fry it and serve it with four sauces!" ideas. As a culture you dream big, hahahaha.

@amelisha what is Joe Beef, you ask? Joe Beef is a magical restaurant (that I still need to go to) that might just have you ascribing bigger dreams to your fellow citizens (although they're Quebecois so maybe they don't count...)

• Options
    amelisha said:

@amelisha what is Joe Beef, you ask? Joe Beef is a magical restaurant (that I still need to go to) that might just have you ascribing bigger dreams to your fellow citizens (although they're Quebecois so maybe they don't count...)

You got it, hahaha. We're simpler folk out here on the prairies :P

And yes, I also like where this has gone. Every thread I enter I make about food these days, probably because I would sell my best friend to get off the wedding diet and not have fat arms by then. I've reached that point where I'm like a cartoon character who looks at random objects and they all turn into Thanksgiving dinners.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    They taste like someone just went apeshit with the flavor powder and put it all in one bag. They're interesting.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I know we're not talking about running anymore but I'm on Pacific time you guys and I can't fucking keep up.

So I don't get it. I can walk outside and run wherever the Hell I want to go for free. I'm not going to fucking PAY to do something so boring and uncomfortable.

• Options
    lc07 said:
    I know we're not talking about running anymore but I'm on Pacific time you guys and I can't fucking keep up.

So I don't get it. I can walk outside and run wherever the Hell I want to go for free. I'm not going to fucking PAY to do something so boring and uncomfortable.

I'm in the same boat.  I just played Oregon Trail for an hour.  And I failed each time.  I was not cut out for the thug trail life. 

I got my share of running in track in high school.  I'm definitely not paying for it any more.  

I still have no idea what the hell "dressed chips" are.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards