Wedding Party

DRAMA-Please HELP!

1234568»

Re: DRAMA-Please HELP!

• If recreational MJ ever becomes legal in my state I totally want to abandon my job and start a bakery. But now I kind of want to add pancakes and waffles to the menu as well.
  • If someone turns their nose up at mac and cheese I don't want to know them. Why can't it have fancy shmancy ingredients, or total garbage ingredients? If Mac and cheese is my gateway drug to get my midwest family to eat foods they wouldn't have tried before, who the heck is someone else to be snotty about it?

I feel the same about hot dogs. Try getting a non-hunter suburbian friend to eat duck and rabbit and elk and so-on. If putting it in tube form gets them to try it, then yes, grind it up and put it in a bun. I am all about the food scene of putting strange / high-end / nasty bits food in easy, familiar dishes.

My dad had a hunter friend whose daughter was also in Girl Scouts. On a campout (we were probably in 6th grade), he grilled up some venison heart. No one wanted to try it. I was like "Are you girls fucking insane? Do you know how good venison is?" and even after that there was only one girl who gave it a shot with me. People.

ETA: Duck is delicious too, when cooked decently. Haven't tried the others but haven't had the opportunity that I know of.

I've eaten a lot of critters and a lot of offal and I like a lot of foods. Yes, I will have a Chicago-style hot dog with tater tots for lunch and slow-roasted bison short ribs with foie gras for dinner, and both will likely be utterly delicious.
    And frankly, home-made mac and cheese is way more complicated than people give it credit for. Considering a lot of people have a hard time not breaking a roux, give credit where it's due. That shit is amazing Especially if with all the safe cheese you add just one funky one, and then candy the bacon you put in and add a little booze to the cheese sauce. Cover with bread crumbs and die happy.
    You almost nailed my three-cheese baked macaroni-and-cheese recipe,  minus the bacon :)  I add in Gruyere cheese when making the roux, and then the regulars- sharp cheddar and parmesan with the noodles.  Top with bread crumbs, and bake.  So delicious!  
  • I have an awesome recipe for tofu mac & cheese. I got a 10-year-old to eat it. She said it was amazing, even after I admitted that there was tofu mixed with the cheese. Even DH, who is totally a meat-and-potatoes guy, loves it. I got him to eat kale by mixing it with mashed potatoes and deep-frying it.

Also, duck is delicious. I love that I can get it pre-made at the Asian grocer near us.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I've eaten a lot of critters and a lot of offal and I like a lot of foods. Yes, I will have a Chicago-style hot dog with tater tots for lunch and slow-roasted bison short ribs with foie gras for dinner, and both will likely be utterly delicious.
    And frankly, home-made mac and cheese is way more complicated than people give it credit for. Considering a lot of people have a hard time not breaking a roux, give credit where it's due. That shit is amazing Especially if with all the safe cheese you add just one funky one, and then candy the bacon you put in and add a little booze to the cheese sauce. Cover with bread crumbs and die happy.
    FI adds Bourbon to the Candy Bacon
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If someone turns their nose up at mac and cheese I don't want to know them. Why can't it have fancy shmancy ingredients, or total garbage ingredients? If Mac and cheese is my gateway drug to get my midwest family to eat foods they wouldn't have tried before, who the heck is someone else to be snotty about it?

I feel the same about hot dogs. Try getting a non-hunter suburbian friend to eat duck and rabbit and elk and so-on. If putting it in tube form gets them to try it, then yes, grind it up and put it in a bun. I am all about the food scene of putting strange / high-end / nasty bits food in easy, familiar dishes.

My dad had a hunter friend whose daughter was also in Girl Scouts. On a campout (we were probably in 6th grade), he grilled up some venison heart. No one wanted to try it. I was like "Are you girls fucking insane? Do you know how good venison is?" and even after that there was only one girl who gave it a shot with me. People.

ETA: Duck is delicious too, when cooked decently. Haven't tried the others but haven't had the opportunity that I know of.

I've eaten a lot of critters and a lot of offal and I like a lot of foods. Yes, I will have a Chicago-style hot dog with tater tots for lunch and slow-roasted bison short ribs with foie gras for dinner, and both will likely be utterly delicious.
    I'm liking your post for everything BUT the foie gras.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I have an awesome recipe for tofu mac & cheese. I got a 10-year-old to eat it. She said it was amazing, even after I admitted that there was tofu mixed with the cheese. Even DH, who is totally a meat-and-potatoes guy, loves it. I got him to eat kale by mixing it with mashed potatoes and deep-frying it.

Also, duck is delicious. I love that I can get it pre-made at the Asian grocer near us.
    PM the recipe, pretty please?
    *********************************************************************************

• I find most offal to be totally unappetizing on biological principle.  Liver- no thank you, I'm not going to eat a filter organ.  Intestines- the organ filled with bacteria? Barf!  Brain- too many prion diseases emerging, I'
    ll pass.

However, my favorite offal is marrow.  Mmmmmm meat butter.  I'm sure you guys will think that's barbaric and gross.  But it's so gooooood!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• edited June 2015
  • edited February 2015

FI adds Bourbon to the Candy Bacon
    I do too.
    Like chocolate covered bacon?  With bourbon mixed in the chocolate?

GENIUS!!!

PS< where is this mac and cheese with bacon and booze recipe?!!!!

I feel like we need a Knottie recipe swap. . . you ladies can fucking cook!

• edited June 2015
  • I find most offal to be totally unappetizing on biological principle.  Liver- no thank you, I'm not going to eat a filter organ.  Intestines- the organ filled with bacteria? Barf!  Brain- too many prion diseases emerging, I'
    ll pass.

However, my favorite offal is marrow.  Mmmmmm meat butter.  I'm sure you guys will think that's barbaric and gross.  But it's so gooooood!
    Not me! Little sea salt, little parsley, maybe the tiniest amount of lemon (like, a drop) on crusty bread?

Get in my mouth.
    DAMN YOU I WANT MAC AND CHEESE AND MARROW NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• edited June 2015
  • You guys are making me to damn hungry. Maybe I'll order tripe at dinner tonight. Mmm... animal innerds...
    ~*~*~*~*~

ll pass.

Not me! Little sea salt, little parsley, maybe the tiniest amount of lemon (like, a drop) on crusty bread?

Get in my mouth.

DAMN YOU I WANT MAC AND CHEESE AND MARROW NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M GONNA SERVE IT TO YOU OUT OF A STEAM-POWERED CASSEROLE DISH

I love you!

Me tooooooo!

Me tooooooo!
    PM'd to both of you!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Ugh, you guuuuyyysss - J has been experimenting with bread in the last couple of days.  The sweetest, nuttiest loaves of brown bread you can imagine. 

And I'm supposed to be on a crazy workout/eating schedule for the next month for a physical test coming up, so I shouldn't be eating any of it.  But I can't help it.

And now I really want mac & cheese, too.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Just touching on the waffles... The new Buffalo Wild Wings Maple Butter sauce is shockingly delicious. It tastes like chicken and waffles without the waffles, which is kind of a sad situation, but delicious nonetheless.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2015
  • So I'm pages late but whatever.

I had mole sauce at a Mexican restaurant on something, I don't remember what. I thought it was gross. I love Mexican food, but I don't know if mole sauce isn't my thing or if it was just that bad. It had an awful burned flavor.

Waffles. Have you ever had BACON WAFFLES? My mom made them once. SO GOOD!
  • Ina Garten's grown up Mac and cheese is the best thing ever, FYI. Bacon, Gruyere, cheddar and blue cheese.
  • Alton Browns mac and cheese popped up on facebook yesterday during the snow and I was like DAMN YOU WEATHER, I NEED TO GO BUY CHEESE NOOOOWWWWW.

Anyway. Waffles are good too.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards