Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

"PPD" is cruel

I planned a wedding for my daughter several years ago and used the community for lots of info and ideas. My son is now getting married so I am back reading. I was surprised by the thread above about PPD. Had no idea what it was. A few days ago read a thread about a young medical student who had planned a wedding in Colorado but was now going to get married quickly because her Dad was very ill. Frankly I was shocked by the tone of the responses to her, and was reminded of a young couple I married several years ago. They had gotten engaged, but lived in different cities. Shortly after the engagement the bride lost her job and after several months of looking without any luck moved to the groom's city and took a waitressing job until something in her field came up. She had no health insurance, but figured it was only for a short time and she was young and healthy. The set a date for a year later and started planning their wedding. Unfortunately the unthinkable happened and the bride was diagnosed with a particularly nasty and deadly form of cancer. She was hospitalized in isolation the day she was diagnosed and her 30 day survival rate was less than 25%. Within a few days the young women and her groom to be realized that the only way to cover her care financially was to have her on his insurance by getting married. Three days after diagnosis the couple, their mothers and I legally married them. No one else knew, not even their fathers. . She survived, and was released from the hospital after a few months. The original wedding date came and went but she was still recieving chemo and far too sick, so it was put off. Two years after the initial diaganosis they had their wedding. They had a shower and a rehearsal dinner, a white dress and all the trimmings. The bride changed her name after that day. This couple had been through hell and back and neither of their mothers nor I felt anything but joy to see them celebrate their love and life. Her medical treatment ( which is still ongoing) has had to have cost nearly a million dollars. She would have had to file bankrupcy to clear the debt, and who knows if some of the life saving care she recieved would have been available to her. I think etiquette is designed to help people, not to hurt them. The notion is to follow rules so people know what to expect and feel comfortable. It should not be used to judge others. The response to the medical student who was going to marry so her Dad could be there that she could "have a party but not a reception- no white dress or other parties" was, in my humble opinion cruel. If you object to being invited to a wedding you don't approve of, don't go, but don't take away whatever joy she can find in a very difficult time. I am old enough to,remember when brides who " had to get married" were considered shameful. I remember when I wanted to give a shower for a friend's daughter in that condition. My friend objected saying we shouldn't celebrate the baby on the way. I gave the shower, and in the end my friend agreed. Babies concieved before wedlock are just as loved and just in as much need, and should be celebrated just as much as those concieved on a more conventional schedule. I think the world has caught up to that notion because it was a kinder and fairer way to be. I hope that we can be kinder and fairer to those who for whatever circumstance find themselves being "PPD". Be glad you never had to make that choice.

Re: "PPD" is cruel

• Options
    I planned a wedding for my daughter several years ago and used the community for lots of info and ideas. My son is now getting married so I am back reading. I was surprised by the thread above about PPD. Had no idea what it was. A few days ago read a thread about a young medical student who had planned a wedding in Colorado but was now going to get married quickly because her Dad was very ill. Frankly I was shocked by the tone of the responses to her, and was reminded of a young couple I married several years ago. They had gotten engaged, but lived in different cities. Shortly after the engagement the bride lost her job and after several months of looking without any luck moved to the groom's city and took a waitressing job until something in her field came up. She had no health insurance, but figured it was only for a short time and she was young and healthy. The set a date for a year later and started planning their wedding. Unfortunately the unthinkable happened and the bride was diagnosed with a particularly nasty and deadly form of cancer. She was hospitalized in isolation the day she was diagnosed and her 30 day survival rate was less than 25%. Within a few days the young women and her groom to be realized that the only way to cover her care financially was to have her on his insurance by getting married. Three days after diagnosis the couple, their mothers and I legally married them. No one else knew, not even their fathers. . She survived, and was released from the hospital after a few months. The original wedding date came and went but she was still recieving chemo and far too sick, so it was put off. Two years after the initial diaganosis they had their wedding. They had a shower and a rehearsal dinner, a white dress and all the trimmings. The bride changed her name after that day. This couple had been through hell and back and neither of their mothers nor I felt anything but joy to see them celebrate their love and life. Her medical treatment ( which is still ongoing) has had to have cost nearly a million dollars. She would have had to file bankrupcy to clear the debt, and who knows if some of the life saving care she recieved would have been available to her. I think etiquette is designed to help people, not to hurt them. The notion is to follow rules so people know what to expect and feel comfortable. It should not be used to judge others. The response to the medical student who was going to marry so her Dad could be there that she could "have a party but not a reception- no white dress or other parties" was, in my humble opinion cruel. If you object to being invited to a wedding you don't approve of, don't go, but don't take away whatever joy she can find in a very difficult time. I am old enough to,remember when brides who " had to get married" were considered shameful. I remember when I wanted to give a shower for a friend's daughter in that condition. My friend objected saying we shouldn't celebrate the baby on the way. I gave the shower, and in the end my friend agreed. Babies concieved before wedlock are just as loved and just in as much need, and should be celebrated just as much as those concieved on a more conventional schedule. I think the world has caught up to that notion because it was a kinder and fairer way to be. I hope that we can be kinder and fairer to those who for whatever circumstance find themselves being "PPD". Be glad you never had to make that choice.

With all do respect, the problem with PPD's is that brides feel (because of the wedding industry) that they aren't really married unless they have the big white dress, first dance, bouquet toss or what have you, and frankly that is not true.  The marriage is what matters, and if you have a circumstance where you cannot plan a blow out wedding, but rather a small JOP or whatever, then you need to own that choice and recognize that as your wedding.  Because in the end what matters is the fact that you got married right? 

P. S. I am in support of celebration of marriage parties after a small wedding, I'm having one myself, but a PPD or reenactment of a wedding? No. I have a problem with that because it takes away the specialness of the REAL ceremony you had where you got legally married, and makes it look like you care more about the party than the person you married.

I am not being mean spirited here, I'm just being honest. 

This.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Also, right here:

No one else knew, not even their fathers

That's pretty disgusting. Lying is never OK. 
    Yeah, and I'm sure Dad walked her down the aisle, so happy and proud and joyous that his daughter was alive so he could walk her down the aisle.

But that's totally okay. Lying is fine under the right circumstances.

• Options
    Do you know what really, truly is shameful and cruel? Lying and purposefully deceiving your family members. FOR.A.PARTY! 

Why didn't this couple be honest and have a vow renewal? I don't think anyone would judge them for having a private wedding and a vow renewal a few years later after a major disease like that. However, I would be hurt if my best friend (OR MY DAUGHTER!!!!!!!!!!) was lying to me for years.
    THIS.  Lying is not ok either.  No matter the circumstance.
  • Options
    It's not the fact that the people in those circumstances wanted to celebrate. Obviously, as PPs pointed out, it's the lying. I hate being lied to. Hate it. 

What gets me more, though, is pretending that a small, private ceremony is not actually a wedding. PPDs tend to give the impression that without all the fanfare, the marriage ins't valid and the wedding never actually happened.

A lot of people show up on these boards looking for justification for a PPD because they had a small courthouse wedding for whatever reason, and now they feel entitled to a "real" wedding. And that rubs people the wrong way. I've seen so many times on these boards that the courthouse thing was "just a piece of paper" or "just a legal formality" but not a wedding. And that's bullshit. 

We say time and again, that there are tons of couples in this country that would LOVE that little piece of paper and the legal formality, because THAT is what makes people actually married, and not everyone has those rights. So it fucking sucks to see that attitude around here. That's what really gets under my skin. To me, that goes beyond etiquette issues and what's proper or what's not. It's just gross. 

So I'm just going to leave you with these: 
    The first same-sex couple to be legally married in Washington. Notice, no fanfare or big party. They rushed straight to the courthouse because that little piece of paper meant more to them than a big fucking fancy party. 

And the first same-sex couple to be legally married in New York. Notice the joy, without the big poofy dresses. Does the lack of catering and a live band make this moment less joyful, less significant, or less meaningful to these women? Are either of these couples less married? What do you think really mattered to them? The venue and the guests, or being together? So tell me again. What the fuck is a PPD so important for? 
    I want to wrap my entire body around this post

• Options
    No one else knew, not even their fathers.  

I think etiquette is designed to help people, not to hurt them.

How incredibly hurt do you think those fathers would feel if they knew their children and wives lied to them, and have continued to lie to them?
    FIFY.

Yeah this just boogles my mind.  If this story is true, why in the hell would you hide this marriage from everyone?  I can think of no reason, other than what I stated above- because they wanted a "real" wedding later if she survived.  And I just can't believe anyone with a terminal illness would even think like that.

I think this OP is a troll and the story is MUD, attempting to make us all look like heartless assholes because we have no sympathy for a dying bride with cancer.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    kmmssg said:

@marshallra

I do have one more question, please.  WHY was the marriage kept a secret from their fathers?

Hmmmm?

• Options
    banana468 said:
    Let me get this straight: you and the mothers proceeded to keep some rather huge information from the fathers of the bride and groom but everyone here is cruel.
    Yes, I've now been convinced that we should all be as "kind and fair" as the OP, because that's saying a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards