Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

"PPD" is cruel

Re: "PPD" is cruel

• Options
    snowflakeftwsnowflakeftw member
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2015
    Dreamergirl8812 said: snowflakeftw said: marshallra said: I planned a wedding for my daughter several years ago and used the community for lots of info and ideas. My son is now getting married so I am back reading. I was surprised by the thread above about PPD. Had no idea what it was. A few days ago read a thread about a young medical student who had planned a wedding in Colorado but was now going to get married quickly because her Dad was very ill. Frankly I was shocked by the tone of the responses to her, and was reminded of a young couple I married several years ago. They had gotten engaged, but lived in different cities. Shortly after the engagement the bride lost her job and after several months of looking without any luck moved to the groom's city and took a waitressing job until something in her field came up. She had no health insurance, but figured it was only for a short time and she was young and healthy. The set a date for a year later and started planning their wedding. Unfortunately the unthinkable happened and the bride was diagnosed with a particularly nasty and deadly form of cancer. She was hospitalized in isolation the day she was diagnosed and her 30 day survival rate was less than 25%. Within a few days the young women and her groom to be realized that the only way to cover her care financially was to have her on his insurance by getting married. Three days after diagnosis the couple, their mothers and I legally married them. No one else knew, not even their fathers. . She survived, and was released from the hospital after a few months. The original wedding date came and went but she was still recieving chemo and far too sick, so it was put off. Two years after the initial diaganosis they had their wedding. They had a shower and a rehearsal dinner, a white dress and all the trimmings. The bride changed her name after that day. This couple had been through hell and back and neither of their mothers nor I felt anything but joy to see them celebrate their love and life. Her medical treatment ( which is still ongoing) has had to have cost nearly a million dollars. She would have had to file bankrupcy to clear the debt, and who knows if some of the life saving care she recieved would have been available to her. I think etiquette is designed to help people, not to hurt them. The notion is to follow rules so people know what to expect and feel comfortable. It should not be used to judge others. The response to the medical student who was going to marry so her Dad could be there that she could "have a party but not a reception- no white dress or other parties" was, in my humble opinion cruel. If you object to being invited to a wedding you don't approve of, don't go, but don't take away whatever joy she can find in a very difficult time. I am old enough to,remember when brides who " had to get married" were considered shameful. I remember when I wanted to give a shower for a friend's daughter in that condition. My friend objected saying we shouldn't celebrate the baby on the way. I gave the shower, and in the end my friend agreed. Babies concieved before wedlock are just as loved and just in as much need, and should be celebrated just as much as those concieved on a more conventional schedule. I think the world has caught up to that notion because it was a kinder and fairer way to be. I hope that we can be kinder and fairer to those who for whatever circumstance find themselves being "PPD". Be glad you never had to make that choice. Well, I think times haven't caught up yet. It is obviously not an etiquette breach to be pregnant before the wedding, (or with child) but people will talk. I mean it is what it is. If you look up for the definition of bastard it explains that it is a child born of parents not married to each other. 
    People choose to be cruel. What?

--------------edit for box
    The point is, family, friends, whatever, they are going to talk shit about "you" regardless of the situation if they decide to. They
    can choose not to, and be happy about a "PPD" or a hypothetical pregnancy before being married. 
  • Options
    I planned a wedding for my daughter several years ago and used the community for lots of info and ideas. My son is now getting married so I am back reading. I was surprised by the thread above about PPD. Had no idea what it was. A few days ago read a thread about a young medical student who had planned a wedding in Colorado but was now going to get married quickly because her Dad was very ill. Frankly I was shocked by the tone of the responses to her, and was reminded of a young couple I married several years ago. They had gotten engaged, but lived in different cities. Shortly after the engagement the bride lost her job and after several months of looking without any luck moved to the groom's city and took a waitressing job until something in her field came up. She had no health insurance, but figured it was only for a short time and she was young and healthy. The set a date for a year later and started planning their wedding. Unfortunately the unthinkable happened and the bride was diagnosed with a particularly nasty and deadly form of cancer. She was hospitalized in isolation the day she was diagnosed and her 30 day survival rate was less than 25%. Within a few days the young women and her groom to be realized that the only way to cover her care financially was to have her on his insurance by getting married. Three days after diagnosis the couple, their mothers and I legally married them. No one else knew, not even their fathers. . She survived, and was released from the hospital after a few months. The original wedding date came and went but she was still recieving chemo and far too sick, so it was put off. Two years after the initial diaganosis they had their wedding. They had a shower and a rehearsal dinner, a white dress and all the trimmings. The bride changed her name after that day. This couple had been through hell and back and neither of their mothers nor I felt anything but joy to see them celebrate their love and life. Her medical treatment ( which is still ongoing) has had to have cost nearly a million dollars. She would have had to file bankrupcy to clear the debt, and who knows if some of the life saving care she recieved would have been available to her. I think etiquette is designed to help people, not to hurt them. The notion is to follow rules so people know what to expect and feel comfortable. It should not be used to judge others. The response to the medical student who was going to marry so her Dad could be there that she could "have a party but not a reception- no white dress or other parties" was, in my humble opinion cruel. If you object to being invited to a wedding you don't approve of, don't go, but don't take away whatever joy she can find in a very difficult time. I am old enough to,remember when brides who " had to get married" were considered shameful. I remember when I wanted to give a shower for a friend's daughter in that condition. My friend objected saying we shouldn't celebrate the baby on the way. I gave the shower, and in the end my friend agreed. Babies concieved before wedlock are just as loved and just in as much need, and should be celebrated just as much as those concieved on a more conventional schedule. I think the world has caught up to that notion because it was a kinder and fairer way to be. I hope that we can be kinder and fairer to those who for whatever circumstance find themselves being "PPD". Be glad you never had to make that choice.
    Well, I think times haven't caught up yet. It is obviously not an etiquette breach to be pregnant before the wedding, (or with child) but people will talk. 
    I mean it is what it is. If you look up for the definition of bastard it explains that it is a child born of parents not married to each other. 

People choose to be cruel.
    What?

--------------edit for box

The point is, family, friends, whatever, they are going to talk shit about "you" regardless of the situation if they decide to. They can choose not to, and be happy about a "PPD" or a hypothetical pregnancy before being married. 

ETA Stupid Box _______________________________________

So I should just choose to be happy every time someone lies to my face about something pretty major - all to make sure I still show up to celebrate and buy them a gift? Yeah. no.

If you care about people, you don't lie to them about the important things.

-------

Nope, I think you should do and think however you want. I am just highlighting the fact that there are also people who will say heeeeeeeeeeey! come to my baby shower! and there is no wedding. 
    no jop, no piece of paper, no BIG ASS WEDDING no ppd.
    I don't side eye it, but I will talk about it on the side. 
  • Options
    Wow. Comparing pre-marital sex (sans abortion) to a PPD. I never got KU, but I had plenty of sex before marriage. And it was awesome. But I would never make a joke out of marriage by play-acting a wedding ceremony when I'm already a wife.

Nope, I think you should do and think however you want. I am just highlighting the fact that there are also people who will say heeeeeeeeeeey! come to my baby shower! and there is no wedding. 

FTFY. Also, FTFY.
    ---

you are entitled to your own opinion.

so am I

I will agree to disagree
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    (edited for double posting)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I'm going to a baby shower next Saturday. The couple is not married. It was a planned pregnancy, but they don't want to get married until his Father can come into the country. They could get married and have a fake wedding later. But that would be stupid.
    there is a term, and I mentioned it before for children who are born outside of a marriage
  • Options
    hahaha, I also love your username. Snowflake. Hm.
  • Options
    @lyndausvi I understand.

I was just following OP's comparison.

People will attend parties of course they will! 
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    southernbelle0915 said: g snowflakeftw said: Dreamergirl8812 said: I'm going to a baby shower next Saturday. The couple is not married. It was a planned pregnancy, but they don't want to get married until his Father can come into the country. They could get married and have a fake wedding later. But that would be stupid.
    there is a term, and I mentioned it before for children who are born outside of a marriage Yea nice try. Trolling is against the terms of service, just so you know. TOS violations can lead to warnings/banning. Again, just so you know.

----box

I know exactly how the moderation works around here, lurked enough to know. Let's just not decide who is
    trolling just because we don't like the opinion one's expressing. 

I have NOT insulted, or said anything that is not true. I have only stated an opinion just like many others have. 
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    antoto said:
    Wow. Comparing pre-marital sex (sans abortion) to a PPD. I never got KU, but I had plenty of sex before marriage. And it was awesome. But I would never make a joke out of marriage by play-acting a wedding ceremony when I'm already a wife.

FTFY. Also, FTFY.
    ---

so am I

I will agree to disagree
    Wait so what do you object to?  Sex before marriage?  That's a lot to object to since roughly 98-99% of Americans (sorry, don't have the stats for other countries) do not wait for marriage.  Do you object to not having an abortion if you get KU before marriage?  What happens if you never want to get married, you just don't get a kid? Or are you one of the ass hats who thinks if a woman finds out she's pregnant she should have a shotgun wedding, regardless of if she feels ready to marry the man?  My cousin  got his girlfriend pregnant.  She was thrilled to have a child but did not want to jump into a marriage ONLY because of the pregnancy (she's a really smart girl, you see). Several years later they did end up marrying and went on to have a very successful marriage and more children.  They are amazing.  You are not.
    --------------

I am not here to talk about your family. Your cousin...etc. I gave an opinion, I am glad for your cousin, what, do you really want me to say OMG she should be in hell!!! 
    Nope

I said what I said, I didn't target your family or other members. 

Just an opinion girl.

ETA: Goodnight ladies. It is Sat night. Enjoy!!!
  • Options

antoto said:

Nope, I think you should do and think however you want. I am just
    highlighting the fact that there are also people who will say
    heeeeeeeeeeey! come to my baby shower! and there is no wedding. 

FTFY. Also, FTFY.

---

so am I

I will agree to disagree

Wait so what do you object to?  Sex before marriage?  That's a lot to object to since roughly 98-99% of Americans (sorry, don't have the stats for other countries) do not wait for marriage.  Do you object to not having an abortion if you get KU before marriage?  What happens if you never want to get married, you just don't get a kid? Or are you one of the ass hats who thinks if a woman finds out she's pregnant she should have a shotgun wedding, regardless of if she feels ready to marry the man?  My cousin  got his girlfriend pregnant.  She was thrilled to have a child but did not want to jump into a marriage ONLY because of the pregnancy (she's a really smart girl, you see). Several years later they did end up marrying and went on to have a very successful marriage and more children.  They are amazing.  You are not.

--------------

I am not here to talk about your family. Your cousin...etc. I gave an opinion, I am glad for your cousin, what, do you really want me to say OMG she should be in hell!!! 
    Nope

Just an opinion girl.

Huh. My main problem with this snowflake is not that she's offensive (which I do think you're going out of your way to be, @snowflakeftw‌, which does make you a troll) but that she doesn't make any sense at all.
  • Options
    LOL  I like how you started this whole thread with an anecdote, and when I use one you get all miffed.  It's cool though.  It must be really tough having completely irrational beliefs and then being asked to back them up.  Life is hard.

Nighty night.
  • Options
    What the fuck! A baby shower is completely irrelevant to this conversation.

• Options
    antoto said:

FTFY. Also, FTFY.
    ---

so am I

I will agree to disagree
    --------------

Nope

Just an opinion girl.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Um, what? This doesn't make sense.
    Yeah, there are people who say "You are invited to my baby shower" without a wedding- so what? No. I won't talk about it on the side. 

Having a baby has nothing to do with getting married, thus the "example" makes no sense and doesn't support having a PPD. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards