Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

"PPD" is cruel

Re: "PPD" is cruel

• Options
    Oh, not getting to be a pretty princess is cruel. Hah. 

• Options
    edited February 2015
    MyNameIsNot said: PrettyGirlLost said: climbingwife said: Also, right here:

No one else knew, not even their fathers

That's pretty disgusting. Lying is never OK.  I had to re-read that wall of text because I admit, I skimmed. . . so I missed this gem.

Call me skeptical, but I don't buy this story.  I find it hard to believe that a person who just received a terminal diagnosis would be worrying about such trivial shit as a wedding and reception.  To the point of hiding getting married for insurance purposes, especially hiding this marriage from her own father, all on the off chance that she survived she could have a big, blow out wedding later. 

What other purpose would this couple have had of keeping their marriage a secret in the face of such a terrible and terminal diagnosis?  Would they have come clean with their fathers, family, and friends if she had actually died?

And if this story actually is true, shame.on.all.of.you.
    I'm with you. In addition to the jacked up priorities, I don't think his insurance would have covered her treatment anyway. It would have been an excluded pre-existing condition up until very recently.
    It's just a little too convenient and heart string pulling, and I find it pretty hard to believe that there would be a couple and two mothers that are all so morally bankrupt as to pull off a lie like this. Usually there's someone in the mix with a conscience.  ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I
     too think this is MUD. I have known plenty of people with health insurance whose cancer treatments were not covered, for a variety of shit-tastic reasons. I sincerely doubt that her treatment would have been covered, especially, as Novella said, because until recently that was a "pre-existing condition" which companies could put outside of coverage. 

And just like...what the fuck? Why leave out the poor dads? As if they weren't going through enough, probably worried out of their minds about the girl...if this isn't fake, it's the worst shit ever. I like how the fathers not knowing was supposed to make us be like "OoooOoooh, okay, well if the dads didn't know, then this just obvi wasn't a 'wedding'." 

ETA: Where do the boxes even go?
  • Options
    Holy crap, my dad would KILL me if I pulled this shit….lie to him AND have him pay for PPD? I don't care what sort of illness you have. Shame on you to treat your family that way.

I'm PPD light. While I'd side-eye a PPD (my sister has had two), I get over it. But lying about it and completely putting the focus on a party rather than the marriage? That's what throttles me. 
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    MagicInk said:
    Couldn't find the pic I was thinking of. But here's the first two couples to get married when we got our heads out of our asses and decided to treat all people like...people.

Look the ladies wore red to their wedding! All cool lesbians wear red to their weddings.
    :( My mom and her partner didn't wear red at their wedding. I still think they're cool lesbians.

OP, if this story is true, it's dumb as hell. The thing I've noticed about pro-PPD people is that they seem to think lying makes it BETTER, when in fact the opposite is true. I don't care if you have a PPD. I don't even care if you wear your wedding dress. That shit was expensive and I'm sure you look gorgeous in it. But don't pretend it's your wedding and lie to me. That's so dumb. So dumb. There's no reason for it whatsoever and you are LYING to people you care about. Why the heck did the fathers not need to know? What possible reason could you give me that could justify it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Just waiting for a snowflake to show up and argue in favor of PPDs so this thread can hit page 4.... 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    Couldn't find the pic I was thinking of. But here's the first two couples to get married when we got our heads out of our asses and decided to treat all people like...people.

Look the ladies wore red to their wedding! All cool lesbians wear red to their weddings.
    :( My mom and her partner didn't wear red at their wedding. I still think they're cool lesbians.
    My mom and her wife didn't wear red either. She wore a white top and jeans and step-mom wore jeans and I think a black top...I can't remember right now. I know she wore flip flops, that part I remember.

Wifey and I thought both wore red. :)
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    This literally is making me see red with rage. I can't. Ok, I'm gonna try right now.

My mother got very sick awhile back. We had no idea if she'd live or not. Thank whatever deity and the medical professionals that she's alive and well now. But when she got sick we had to fight for her partner to be allowed in the ICU to even see her. Woman is lying on her damn death bed, we don't know one minute to the next if she's gonna make it and her partner can't come see her because they aren't married. And why aren't they married? Because legally they aren't allowed to be because they both have pussies. Which is the biggest amount of dumbshit I've ever heard.

Her partner has gone without health insurance, or with incredibly shitty healthy insurance, for years. Because they couldn't get legally married in our state and my mother's health insurance only covers legally married spouses, no domestic partners.

So when you take advantage of a goddamn privilege extended only to some, fucking recognize that you're taking advantage of a goddamn privilege extended only to some. Own that fucking shit. I married him so I could get health insurance cause I was sick, now we're gonna re-do our vows in front of our peeps. Sweet go for it. Don't fucking hide away and act like you deserve this shit because you're fucking special.

What the fuck would my mother's partner had done if she got incredibly ill? She couldn't marry my mom for health insurance? Too bad ya dirty fucking dyke? 

Those who think it's only a piece of paper, have never been denied the right to have one. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    AlexisA01AlexisA01 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Lying is never good...I was on the end of a PPD with a close friend. She got married during school, ignored her Catholic obligations and the was planning on having a PPD.  Had she been honest, she probably would have kept her friendships with me, our sorority sisters,  not strained her relationships with family, and parish.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options

marshallra

Your post is pretty much the definition of trolling, which is against the TOU. This is not an official warning just a heads up.

Everyone else, please don't feed the trolls.

• Options
    1.  Nothing I hate more than a liar.

2.  Those same-sex wedding photos made me tear up.

3.  My H & I were HAPPY to go to a vow renewal/handfasting of lesbian friends of ours and support them & celebrate with them... NJ, at the time, had civil unions but not marriage for gay couples (which is just fucking stupid - technically H & I had a "civil union" since we were married by a judge, so why the fuck can we say we're married just because we're hetero, whiel our friends couldn't?!), so they went to another state, got married, and came back and had their handfasting & celebration.  We loved it & were 100% with them.

And they didn't lie to anyone.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

I just realized what it is about a PPD that irritates me so much (besides the lying).  When, when when WHEN did The Party (tm) become more important than the The Marriage.  If you want a big celebration?  Cool, go for it.  You want a small intimate wedding?  Cool, go for it.  You want to elope?  Cool, go for it.

But don't hand me a polished turd and say it's crème Brule. A PPD is saying that a party is more important than your marriage.  Why? Because claiming that "you're not really married until you have a reception" is bullshit and insulting.  I don't care about super duper extra special rules don't apply to me circumstances, what should matter is that you are marrying the person you love.  You are making a commitment to begin a life together and stand by each other.  That should be more important than a dress you'll never where again, an over priced cake no one likes (seriously, have you noticed most wedding cakes are nasty?), flower arrangements and a little box of Jordan almonds no one will eat.

(edited by mod to remove gif)

• Options
    flbride2015flbride2015 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited February 2015

I just realized what it is about a PPD that irritates me so much (besides the lying).  When, when when WHEN did The Party (tm) become more important than the The Marriage.  If you want a big celebration?  Cool, go for it.  You want a small intimate wedding?  Cool, go for it.  You want to elope?  Cool, go for it.

But don't hand me a polished turd and say it's crème Brule. A PPD is saying that a party is more important than your marriage.  Why? Because claiming that "you're not really married until you have a reception" is bullshit and insulting.  I don't care about super duper extra special rules don't apply to me circumstances, what should matter is that you are marrying the person you love.  You are making a commitment to begin a life together and stand by each other.  That should be more important than a dress you'll never where again, an over priced cake no one likes (seriously, have you noticed most wedding cakes are nasty?), flower arrangements and a little box of Jordan almonds no one will eat.

(edited by mod to remove gif)

Because: PINTEREST.

• Options
    Now we have to obey THE PINTEREST and THE GOOGLE?  Bloody Hell.

• Options

Wait, I'm not done yet, in fact I'm just getting warmed up.  Go look up the definition of "cruel" nowhere does it say that refusing to validate rude, entitled bullshit is "cruel".  Seriously, if that's what you think cruelty is I suggest you pull your head out the sand and actually look at what is going on in the world outside OF YOURSELF!

• Options
    Wait, another wedding industry VENDOR is giving out tacky, rude advice bc it's "your special day"???

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! Color me shocked! Never saw that one coming! :unamused:

Who here is surprised that someone making money off officiating wedding ceremonies thinks having two of them is a cracker jack idea?? 

Two ceremonies, two bills, two paypaids! *CHA-FUCKING-CHING*
    WAIT SHE'S A VENDOR?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    You would think that someone who was facing possible death would find the actual marriage more important than a pretty dress and a day of attention. 
    That was what I was trying to articulate with my posts in this thread.

You nailed it, thank you!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

Wait, I'm not done yet, in fact I'm just getting warmed up.  Go look up the definition of "cruel" nowhere does it say that refusing to validate rude, entitled bullshit is "cruel".  Seriously, if that's what you think cruelty is I suggest you pull your head out the sand and actually look at what is going on in the world outside OF YOURSELF!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards