Chit Chat

@Novella1186 and other May 2 brides!

Re: @Novella1186 and other May 2 brides!

• Honestly I think you'd be ok either way. Are any of the people in your group very picky? Or have serious food restrictions? In those cases it may be easier to just let them order off the full menu. 

No one is super picky, and the restaurant offers a wide variety.  There are 2 known allergies in the group.  My dad has a severe shellfish/iodine allergy, and FI's two nephews both have a milk allergy.  That is also another reason why we think it might be easier to go the a la carte option.
  • I just remembered that my hair and makeup trial is on Saturday. Aww shit.

Awwww yay! You better AW that shit!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Yay!!  Post pics!  And make plans to go out to dinner or something!  I had my hair and makeup trials on different days, but each of them were so much fun!  I had never had my makeup professionally done until my trial and it was a blast!
  • Had to bring this thread back (this sucker was hard to find!) because I had my first dress fitting this weekend. And I picked out a veil and a sash! Didn't even think I was gonna get a sash because I didn't care much about it, but when everything was all put together I felt like it just looked so much prettier that way. I'm so excited! 

We have 46 days to go! What are you ladies up to? 
    Me too! I had my first fitting on Saturday. 

My sister let me borrow me her veil and we decided it looks lovely with my dress. It's not what I would have picked, but it's the length I wanted and it's quite pretty. And I didn't really want to spend a lot of money on a veil. So I'm glad it looks nice. Not a thing I cared a lot about. I've also possibly decided not to get too crazy with my sash. When I was trying stuff on I had a lot of elaborate thoughts about a different color or more bling. But right now that seems like a lot of effort when my dress looks great with the sash that came with it.

We are out of town for most of the week, but we're meeting with our officiant on Tuesday to talk about some ceremony decisions. I need to decide on a second reader and FI needs to look at vows. And while we're driving to Chicago (like 8 hours) I'm going to make FI listen to ceremony and first dance music.

36 days for us! It's so soon!
  • Can I just have a brief RSVP rant with you wedding day twin ladies? We sent invites out two weeks ago tomorrow. It's been really exciting to get some RSVPs accepting the invite so quickly. On top of that, of the two official declines we've gotten one was from my old roommate who didn't just check "Declines" or text me, she took the time to sit down and write a really lovely note about how much she loves me and how she wishes she could come. Aww, so sweet. The following though, I find really annoying:

1. People telling me, verbally, off-hand, during social gatherings, whether or not they are coming. Maybe this is fine from an etiquette standpoint, but I really wish they would use any of the RSVP options I've given (calling, wedding website, texting, RSVP post card) because I'm very concerned I'm going to forget that someone told me that x is coming, but y can't come. Plus, it's awkward to say it around other people and then only encourages the other people, if they are invited, to ALSO verbally accept/decline. 

2. A certain member of our WP who we have battled with over whether or not his kids can come. We told him no kids. We only invited he and his wife. He simply didn't take the invitation we handed him home and said to me the other day "I'm going to make this easy for you, we're not going to RSVP, but all four of us are coming." You are not making things easy for me, you are being rude. 

3. Certain extended family members who, rather than declining in any of the many ways I've given them to do so, told my dad they don't think they can come. And, rather than telling me, my dad told my sister. Then my sister told me. WTF? Stop playing telephone with RSVPs. 

Have you guys had similar issues? 
  • Can I just have a brief RSVP rant with you wedding day twin ladies? We sent invites out two weeks ago tomorrow. It's been really exciting to get some RSVPs accepting the invite so quickly. On top of that, of the two official declines we've gotten one was from my old roommate who didn't just check "Declines" or text me, she took the time to sit down and write a really lovely note about how much she loves me and how she wishes she could come. Aww, so sweet. The following though, I find really annoying:

1. People telling me, verbally, off-hand, during social gatherings, whether or not they are coming. Maybe this is fine from an etiquette standpoint, but I really wish they would use any of the RSVP options I've given (calling, wedding website, texting, RSVP post card) because I'm very concerned I'm going to forget that someone told me that x is coming, but y can't come. Plus, it's awkward to say it around other people and then only encourages the other people, if they are invited, to ALSO verbally accept/decline. 

2. A certain member of our WP who we have battled with over whether or not his kids can come. We told him no kids. We only invited he and his wife. He simply didn't take the invitation we handed him home and said to me the other day "I'm going to make this easy for you, we're not going to RSVP, but all four of us are coming." You are not making things easy for me, you are being rude. 

3. Certain extended family members who, rather than declining in any of the many ways I've given them to do so, told my dad they don't think they can come. And, rather than telling me, my dad told my sister. Then my sister told me. WTF? Stop playing telephone with RSVPs. 

I think #2 would annoy me the most. That's just flat-out rude. 

My only issue *so far* with RSVPs has been second guessing them lol. My cousin RSVPd for just himself and his son, but not his girlfriend. He and his girlfriend are INSEPARABLE, like to the max. He even takes her on business trips. So I saw she wasn't on there and thought, "Did he mean to do that? Or is this a mistake? Should I ask him? Or should I just take him at his word and mark him down for 2? What if she ends up coming and I don't have a seat for her?" Why I second guess is beyond me. Makes things way more stressful than they need to be. 

I think #2 would annoy me the most. That's just flat-out rude. 

My only issue *so far* with RSVPs has been second guessing them lol. My cousin RSVPd for just himself and his son, but not his girlfriend. He and his girlfriend are INSEPARABLE, like to the max. He even takes her on business trips. So I saw she wasn't on there and thought, "Did he mean to do that? Or is this a mistake? Should I ask him? Or should I just take him at his word and mark him down for 2? What if she ends up coming and I don't have a seat for her?" Why I second guess is beyond me. Makes things way more stressful than they need to be. 
    We've done the second guessing a little bit. Two of FI's aunts/uncles RSVP'd for them and not their slightly older children. But didn't put anything about the kids not being able to come. So I asked FMIL to mention it if she talked to them and let them know we were totally cool with the cousins coming. Kind of weird but at least if the kids want to come they know they're welcome.

The other thing I'm grappling with is checking for food. We asked people to RSVP their meal choice (chicken, beef, veg) on the RSVP card. A lot of people are just putting numbers next to the meal choice - so I have no earthly idea who wants the chicken and who wants the veggie. Do I call/email/text everyone who's done this and ask who want's what? I was planning on making a card for everyone with their meal choice on it so the kitchen will know easily. Or do I just assume the couple will switch meals like adults if they don't want the chicken/beef and that's what I put on the card? Will they remember? I know I probably wouldn't remember what I wrote down and just be disappointed I didn't get the other thing and eat what was put in front of me. 

I'm also probably worrying about this more than I need to.

I have always responded that people still need to text or email me their choice. I always frame it that I won't remember what they've said - which is true. I would definitely forget some people. I've started writing down all the people that have texted their RSVPs instead of using the cards. Because I need the written proof. And in a couple of weeks finding that text will be annoying as hell.
  • Ladies ladies ladies...

My hairstylist quit (I already put this in another thread, but this is my home thread for the wedding twins). I just found out today after having my hair trial with her on Saturday. Definitely not a big deal in the grand scheme of things and I'm confident the salon will give me another stylist that will do a really good job but she was like my hair friend. I could always count on her to make me look my best. And I switched stylists/salons like a year ago so I could build a great relationship with my stylist so she could get to know my hair and me because I'm a freak like that. Ughhhh. Whine, wine, sob. 

• I can't even open this thread without sending my stupid stress triggered eye twitch into a frenzy. 

My hairstylist quit (I already put this in another thread, but this is my home thread for the wedding twins). I just found out today after having my hair trial with her on Saturday. Definitely not a big deal in the grand scheme of things and I'm confident the salon will give me another stylist that will do a really good job but she was like my hair friend. I could always count on her to make me look my best. And I switched stylists/salons like a year ago so I could build a great relationship with my stylist so she could get to know my hair and me because I'm a freak like that. Ughhhh. Whine, wine, sob. 
    Oh no! Could you follow her to wherever she works next? Track her down and beg her to still do your hair for the wedding?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• blabla89 said:

Ladies ladies ladies...

Oh no! Could you follow her to wherever she works next? Track her down and beg her to still do your hair for the wedding?
    That's the thing. She's NOT going to another salon. She just up and quit this morning. I already texted her, expressed my concern for her (she's having a lot of personal issues: divorce, kids etc. and NO. I didn't mention my wedding at all.) and told her if she needed anything to let me know but I am FREAKING THE FUCK OUT. And my mother and MOH are not helping me. They're panicking worse than me. Thank gravy that FI is much more level headed and this is no big deal to him. He's concerned about me, but not that my hair will be ugly. Like I'm concerned about lol

My Mom said "You should be getting a refund and a new stylist." "Why would I get a refund?" "THIS IS YOUR WEDDING!! THEY NEED TO MAKE IT PERFECT!!" 

MOH: "Do I need to call them? Do I need to tell them to call you? What can I do? I'm going to get junk food for you for TV night tonight." 

Calm your tits, bitches.

That's the thing. She's NOT going to another salon. She just up and quit this morning. I already texted her, expressed my concern for her (she's having a lot of personal issues: divorce, kids etc. and NO. I didn't mention my wedding at all.) and told her if she needed anything to let me know but I am FREAKING THE FUCK OUT. And my mother and MOH are not helping me. They're panicking worse than me. Thank gravy that FI is much more level headed and this is no big deal to him. He's concerned about me, but not that my hair will be ugly. Like I'm concerned about lol

My Mom said "You should be getting a refund and a new stylist." "Why would I get a refund?" "THIS IS YOUR WEDDING!! THEY NEED TO MAKE IT PERFECT!!" 

MOH: "Do I need to call them? Do I need to tell them to call you? What can I do? I'm going to get junk food for you for TV night tonight." 

Calm your tits, bitches.

SIB
    I'm sorry (again) that this is happening, but it will be ok!
    But I have to say that the bolded is my new most favorite phrase ever 

Calm your tits, bitches.

SIB

haha you're welcome :) It's one of my personal favorites. 

I know it'll be okay. It's just the initial loss of losing my friend/stylist at my salon and having someone unknown do my hair. It just sucks. But I do hope she turns her life around. 

• blabla89 said:

Ladies ladies ladies...

Calm your tits, bitches.
    Man that totally sucks. I don't know if you said you were going to the salon that morning or if maybe she could still do your hair at another location (which is an option you can talk about a little bit later with her).

The other thought that just occurred to me was maybe the salon will let you do another test run? If your contract is with the salon maybe they'll give you a new trial with a new stylist for free. Because you're not getting that lady you had planned on and so the trial you did is not how it's going to be. It may make you feel better about the new stylist. Although if you're like me it's going to be hard to fit into your schedule.

Calm your tits, bitches.

SIB
    haha you're welcome :) It's one of my personal favorites. 

I know it'll be okay. It's just the initial loss of losing my friend/stylist at my salon and having someone unknown do my hair. It just sucks. But I do hope she turns her life around. 

I totally get it. I don't even trust a new stylist to trim my hair, let alone do anything important. That's definitely a huge bummer, especially at this point in time. I think you're handling it really well, though, and I'm sure your hair is gonna turn out beautiful! You got this :) 
  • Update on the hair:

Salon finally called me today... I'm getting 25% off on my hair and everybody in my bridal party as well. And I get a new stylist (whom I really like) and a new hair trial. 

• Update on the hair:

Salon finally called me today... I'm getting 25% off on my hair and everybody in my bridal party as well. And I get a new stylist (whom I really like) and a new hair trial. 

Yay! That is awesome! I mean it still kind of sucks that you had to go through the stress, but that sounds like pretty much the best possible outcome, plus yay discount!!! 
  • Update on the hair:

Yay! That is awesome! I mean it still kind of sucks that you had to go through the stress, but that sounds like pretty much the best possible outcome, plus yay discount!!! 
    Agree! I know it's scary to have a new stylist but especially with a trial before I'm sure your hair will look great -- for 25% less!
  • Shit. I am sub 30 days now. You'll all be there tomorrow. 

• Friday is my day of wedding things. I'm frantically trying to make sure I have everything covered.

This is my day:
    7:40 - FI leaves for work, I probably go to the bakery to put some money down on the cake. Also, baked goods.
    9:00 Hair appointment/trial. My stylist is going to do my cut/color and play with hair styles for the wedding day.
    12:30 - Lunch with ones of my BM's who works near my salon. Just for fun.
    2:00 - Meeting with the florist to finalize all my flowers.
    3:00 or whenever we finish at the florist - go to my seamstress' place for another fitting. Possibly my final, because it's my second fitting and the dress didn't need a lot done. But she did need to do some large-seeming (to me, she talked like it was not a big deal) work on the straps. I'm also hoping during this my Mom and I can talk through the day-of schedule. Just to get something tentative to tell the deliveries and wedding party members.

If we have time after the fitting I want to pick up the groomsmen's ties/pocket squares. 

Hmm... in pre-marital counseling we talked about how I sometimes over plan days. Perhaps I've got this going on here ;) But I don't have that many days off, so I needed to combine all my during-the-day appointments when I could. And my Mom is in town and sometimes I need her opinion, she's done this two times already for my sisters.
  • 28 Days for me! Where did March go?  Geez..
  • ladies, we just hit the 30 day mark!!! That is bananas! 

FI and I are meeting with our officiant this Saturday and trying to finish up some stupid DIY projects I insisted on doing, and also trying to settle on which wine brands we want for the reception. So I still need to finalize the bar order. Bleh. 

What are you up to? 
  • blabla89blabla89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    We found some extra money in our budget to pay the caterer to set-up everything for the reception (instead of FI and I coming early to do it ourselves - no, we weren't going to make our WP work for us) so that's a huge load off my shoulders. But now I have to write up instructions on how to set it all up.

I'm still trying to wrangle the last few RSVPs, although we went ahead and gave the caterer our max number. Also found out my dad for sure isn't coming (see my snark on the gift he sent in the FWP thread) so I have to decide who I want to walk me down the aisle. How long can I procrastinate before asking someone??

ETA: And we need to figure out whether crazy FSIL is coming to the wedding or not. FI doesn't want to ask her until after Easter for fear of sparking more family drama.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• blabla89 said:

We found some extra money in our budget to pay the caterer to set-up everything for the reception (instead of FI and I coming early to do it ourselves - no, we weren't going to make our WP work for us) so that's a huge load off my shoulders. But now I have to write up instructions on how to set it all up.

I'm still trying to wrangle the last few RSVPs, although we went ahead and gave the caterer our max number. Also found out my dad for sure isn't coming (see my snark on the gift he sent in the FWP thread) so I have to decide who I want to walk me down the aisle. How long can I procrastinate before asking someone??

ETA: And we need to figure out whether crazy FSIL is coming to the wedding or not. FI doesn't want to ask her until after Easter for fear of sparking more family drama.

I don't know if you've heard this suggestion before, but I thought it was genius: Set up one table to look exactly like you want it. Take a picture. Then you can give the picture to the venue and they can use it as a reference. Written instructions might be needed for some things, but that should make many things less confusing.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can ask someone to walk you down the aisle whenever you want. You probably want to give them notice, but as long as the person is going to be there anyways you should be okay. Of course it might make them freak out/worry a bit about the big job. But that's their problem ;)
  • YAY WEDDINGS!!!!!
  • I wonder if everybody has the same issues with people RSVP-ing?  I had people that said they thought they'd done it - how do you forget?  LOL  Luckily we're all done with that part, now we just gotta get everybody paid.

• I wonder if everybody has the same issues with people RSVP-ing?  I had people that said they thought they'd done it - how do you forget?  LOL  Luckily we're all done with that part, now we just gotta get everybody paid.

Today I realized that our RSVP deadline is next week (because of when the caterer needs their final count. Bleh). And we're still missing like 60 RSVPs. So this will be fun... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards