Chit Chat

Celebrity Encounters: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Re: Celebrity Encounters: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    I forgot about the $1K a plate charity dinner we were invited to by a vendor in NOLA.   It was for Brad Pitt's charity.    Harrison Ford was at the table next to us (with Liam).  Morgan Freeman on the other table.  I've seen in the BVIs a few times,  At the time he knew DH by name because he was staying at the hotel while filming movie. DH feed him most nights.

Sean Penn, Ellen, Rhianna, gezz, I can't even remember all the stars. There was one at every other table.   I had to go home early for work (early being 2am). DH stayed for the after party and hung with a bunch of stars.  He also filmed Angelina dancing to Snoop Dog with her kids.  At 4am. 

Wonder where the video is now?  That was like 3 phones ago.  I know I have a shot of HF.   Wasn't trying to get him.   Someone took a pic of the 2 of us and he was in the background.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I've met George Lopez, he called me Amazon, at the club. (He was messed up on nose candy.'

I've met, Mel B.  (Spice girls.  She called me an fugly bitch)

@themuffinman16 Why?! Did you cut her off at Starbucks or something- I don't know what situation you'd be in for that to happen!

• edited April 2015
    jenna8984 said:

I've met George Lopez, he called me Amazon, at the club. (He was messed up on nose candy.'

I've met, Mel B.  (Spice girls.  She called me an fugly bitch)

@themuffinman16 Why?! Did you cut her off at Starbucks or something- I don't know what situation you'd be in for that to happen!
    I was working in the club, and the bouncer brought me over to her table. She asked him to bring girls by. She just had to feel in control.
  • Nothing too exciting for me.
    I saw John Cleese at an art gallery during a school trip. I had no idea who he was, but most of the other students were very excited.
    I met LeVar Burton and another sci-fi actor at a Comic con with DH. DH has met a lot of sci-fi actors at various conventions.
    Science celebrities. One of the professors I work with used to work with Francis Crick. Another professor I know used to play sports with Albert Einstein. 

Anniversary
  • I waited on Tracy Morgan when I worked in a sports bar. He was hilarious, probably intoxicated, and an excellent tipper.

When I worked at Houstons, we had a lot of celebrities come in, but I never waited on them or spoke with them aside from asking how any people in their party. Sheree from real housewives and dikembe mutumbo (I'm sure I've butchered that name) were regulars, and Justin Bieber came in once, but it was right when baby came out. I had no idea who he was until someone told me.

• I've only had one real encounter with a minor celeb, an actress from a local soap opera. She came into the video store where I was working, on an exceptionally busy Friday night, and was super pissed off that I didn't recognize her. I actually knew exactly who she was, and up until then had admired her as an actress, but no way in hell was I giving anyone special attention when my co-worker and I were burning holes in our shoes just to keep up with our regular customers.

I did a theater workshop with one of our fairly famous actors about 12 years ago, and performed one of my poems in a production by one of our famous producer/directors, but I didn't get to meet her because she had two others shows on the same night.

Also, I went to high school with one of the presenters of a local kids show, but she was a few years ahead of me. And at the same school, I ended up working spot for a special Valentines event hosted by the very handsome and charming presenter of a local magazine show. I didn't get to meet him though.

My mom dated the host of an extremely popular local gameshow back when they were both students. My cousin met, and did a 2-day youth leadership conference thing with, Mandela. My aunt and my brother have both performed with a number of celebrities, as professional musicians. And that's it I think.

Oh, I should mention that I mean local to SA (ie National), because we didn't have regional stations until about 5 years ago.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • I forgot a few!

We met John Mellencamp and Meg Ryan at an ice cream place across from my apartment the night before grad school graduation. I was there with my sister, BIL and bff and we all got pictures with them. She was a bit stand-off-ish and had some horrible plastic surgery but he was pretty cool.

John Mahoney (the dad from Fraser) lives in my parents neighborhood. We've all seen him at the farmer's market a bunch of times.

I met Mark Cuban at an alumni event 2 years ago. I told him that I worked for a start-up and would love to have an opportunity to pitch to him. He asked what we did then passed-- I don't think healthcare's sexy enough for him.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I met Patrick Stewart and Carrie Elwes at DragonCon. They were pretty canned meetings -- at photo/autograph opps. I was so overwhelmed to meet Patrick Stewart and he wasn't feeling well so it was kind of a weird experience and very short. 

Carrie Elwes is truly lovely. He saw that I was very excited and hugged me twice and took a picture with FI and I. It was awesome. 
  • This weekend I was at a charity gala for a retired NFL player's foundation. There were TONS of professional athletes. DF was geeking out SO HARD.

One of his favorite college basketball players, Quincy Lewis, was there. He was just like oogling him all night, but he wouldn't say anything. Eventually when he was standing by himself I just went up to him and said "Excuse me, my fiance is a huge fan of yours, would you mind taking a picture with him?" DF was flabbergasted, but Quincy was SO NICE. He teased DF for not asking himself and asked about the wedding and stuff. It was just so sweet. In the pic, DF looks like a kid on Christmas.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• littlepep said:

khugs15 said:

I "met" Usher back in the late '90s when he & Chili from TLC were together. They were jumping line for a ride at Six Flags in Atlanta & he bumped into me and apologized.

Umm, I know Relient K is not a super popular group, but I talked to Matt Theissen (their lead vocalist) on the phone once and I was fangirling so hard I could barely talk. I met the whole band a few years later, they're wonderful.

My mom met LL Cool J in Miami, and she also met a few cast members from the Broadway show Hairspray back in 2009. 

I've also met a LOT of college football players before they went pro [most of them being Alabama players] - Trent Richardson, Dont'a Hightower, AJ McCarron, Tim Tebow. I went to a party once and Cam Newton was there, but I didn't get to talk to him. AND I've met the whole crew from College Game Day multiple times. 

My friend met him a few years ago. He told her not to get too close because he might not let her go. I do not know how she didn't pass out. I would have. 

Would. Have. DIED.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• JaniV123JaniV123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    I have met local celebs like JJ Barea (the NBA player), Luis Fonsi, Tito el Bambino, Pierluisi (PR Resident Commissioner), etc and the cast of the disney movie Princess Protection Program (Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Nicholas Braun, Jamie Chung, Samantha Droke, Robert Adamson, and Kevin Schmidt). 

Nothing major but I wish I had some experiences like the one you ladies have had!

• I loved that thread on reddit
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My brother high fived Neil Patrick Harris in Albuquerque. He was apparently filming A Million Ways To Die In The West and went to dinner at the same place as my brother and his girlfriend. I was super jealous...

• I have met Keith Urban backstage at a concert here in Seattle. He smells amazing and was really nice.

Brad Garrett walked right by me when I was in Vegas 3 years ago, hes a giant. 
    Anniversary
  • Let's see.  I'm not sure if there are a lot cos I don't tend to notice celebrities, or really care.  

We saw Naveen Andrews (Sayid on Lost) in Nieman Marcus in Waikiki.  He's super short by the way.  
    We got a photo with Morimoto in Hawaii too at his restaurant during our wedding.  We got it to send to my foodie friend to make him jealous.  

We ate at Gordon Ramsey Steak and Christina (Hell's Kitchen winner) was the executive chef there, so she was chopping up stuff at the front of the kitchen.  

I also saw Farrah Fawcett filming a movie in my town when I was about 8.  I had no idea who she was.  

I've met several of the local CFL team members, way back when as I was a cheerleader for the team

I went to a meet and greet with Joshua Morrow from Young and Restless when I was 14.  He smiled at me while signing my photo (14 year old fan girl squee!!!).  

And I met Diana Gabaldon when she did a book signing when I was working in a bookstore.  She seemed nice and happy to sign stuff for 2 hours.  

Oh, and Sam Roberts band.  They sat through an hour or so of fan meet and greet after their concert (organized meet and greet).  Right when we were there, security asked if they wanted to shut it down.  They said no way, they'd see everyone.  They were having the time of their lives meeting everyone and seems to have so much fun doing it.  

My Aunt lived just outside of Vancouver, and they used to film a lot of TV/movies in her neighbourhood.  They often used the church she worked at as a set or as a quiet spot for cast/crew to hang out.  She got me a signed photo of Richard Dean Anderson when he was there filming an episode of MacGyver.  It was the best thing I ever got from her

• I met NSYNC when I was 13. A family friend was their PR person and got us backstage passes. I don't know how I didn't faint. It was my teeny bopper dream come true.

Not my experience, but my cousin briefly dated (like 2 or 3 dates) Liam Neeson when he was filming a movie in her area.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @WinstonsGirl, so jealous about Diana Gabaldon!

I met Lou Ferrigno at a bodybuilding competition in Victoria 22 years ago (eek! how time flies!).  He is HUGE!  I believe about 6' 8", so about 16" taller than me, and about 200 lbs of muscle heavier, lol!  He took pictures with me, as well as autographing an existing photo, he was great.  The other two there, not so much.

Met the band members of the Nylons on my birthday, they signed my cd with "Happy Bidet" :P

Met the band members of Trooper many times, they know my brother and I, both.  They're really cool guys.

That's all I can remember right now.
  • mrscaty said:

I met all the Disney Princesses on our HM at Cinderella's Royal Table. 

I was like a starstruck little kid - I asked for their autograph and blushed. 

I don't know what I'd do if I met someone actually famous.
    I was exceptionally star-struck when I met Ariel at the age of 14. She complimented my necklace! *faints*

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Ok, I'm back.

Does anyone know who Justin Kirk is? Uncle Andy on Weeds? He was doing a play at a theater I was working at, and I got to hang out with him a few times. He once offered me a ride home and bought me a milkshake at White Castle. nothing untoward happened (believe me, I tried.).

I live in Albuquerque and I once saw Bryan Cranston get on a mint green Vespa and drive away. Hilarious. I also saw Walt Jr. walking down the street with his friends.

I've seen a number of celebrities in passing, but I can't remember them all right now. I saw John Goodman at the St. Louis Airport when I was a kid and ate at a restaurant a few tables over from Billy Graham ( but I didn't know who he was).

Below is my favorite. I was 9.
  • I met ZZ Top! They stayed at the hotel where I worked when they played the  Sturgis Rally about 4 years ago. On of them grabbed my butt, probably by accident, when we took a picture. But I was kinda jazzed.
  • I met Patrick Stewart and Carrie Elwes at DragonCon. They were pretty canned meetings -- at photo/autograph opps. I was so overwhelmed to meet Patrick Stewart and he wasn't feeling well so it was kind of a weird experience and very short. 

Carrie Elwes is truly lovely. He saw that I was very excited and hugged me twice and took a picture with FI and I. It was awesome. 
    Thanks for reminding me. I met Cary Elwes at a book signing. I got the most adorable picture of him and he was so nice. I try to go to a lot of author signings and he was one of the most gracious of them.
  • I have met Keith Urban backstage at a concert here in Seattle. He smells amazing and was really nice.

Brad Garrett walked right by me when I was in Vegas 3 years ago, hes a giant. 
    HAHA. I love this. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hellohkb said:

mrscaty said:

I met all the Disney Princesses on our HM at Cinderella's Royal Table. 

I was like a starstruck little kid - I asked for their autograph and blushed. 

I don't know what I'd do if I met someone actually famous.
    I was exceptionally star-struck when I met Ariel at the age of 14. She complimented my necklace! *faints*
    I cannot tell you how badly I wanted to be the Little Mermaid growing up. I had all things Ariel. My mom even got me this fake treasure box with a costume and stuff. I use to flop around the floor pretending to be a mermaid. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My cousin was in a Radiohead music video. Apparently my aunt went on a few dates with the lead singer.

Anniversary

• I totally forgot my best celebrity encounter.

It was my 10th birthday and we were in Disney World.  I got to have breakfast with Minnie Mouse.  30+ years later I still remember how cool that was.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • You all have great stories! I'm mostly oblivious, and apparently still carry around a hick-town mentality, because half the time I'll think, "Huh, that dude looks exactly like [X celebrity]." And then 10 minutes later it'll dawn on me that, hey, you live in NYC now. It probably WAS [X celebrity].

The closest I ever got to the A-list is the D-list--the company I used to work for represented various wannabes and hangers on. I was low on the totem pole, so "meeting" people usually consisted of taking their coat and getting them a glass of water. YOU'RE WELCOME, NICKY HILTON! (She seemed nice enough).

One time I saw Jim Carrey at a play. FI agreed it was him, but the rest of my family was like, "no way!" But he was a spitting image, and an assistant-like human discreetly came in and gave him a bottle of water before curtain, so I'm confident.

FI once saw Fiona Apple on the train. They exchanged the "Are you...?" "Yep, I am" nods. He also shared his umbrella with Julia Stiles once while they crossed the same street at Union Square.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I've met John de Lancie (Q from star trek) a few times through a family friend. Major mansplainer.
  • drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    Dave Matthews came through my checkout line many many many moons ago when I was a cashier at a local co-op. Southern bred to the bone. Everything was yes mam, no mam and thank you mam in that fantastic accent of his. Really nice guy.

Git a chance to talk Erin Brokavich, 15 years ago I think at a conference. Yes, she is exactly like how she was portrayed in the movie. We talked about our mutual love of heels.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards