Chit Chat
Options

I'm a Grouchy Diva (slight vent)

So we got an invite to a wedding of some friends-yay! It'll be around an 11 hr drive from us, and apparently the only places to stay are these lake houses that the bride and groom reserved for everyone (it's in a very remote location). That's totally fine.

So we are sharing a lake house with three other couples and two singles. Apparently the place has some bedrooms and couches in the living room. I was told we'd be getting one of the bedrooms no problem, but now that an additional couple is staying with us because of the lack of room, we might have to stay on the couches because BF is too nice to fight it out with people. 

So here are my issues: We are carpooling with people and everyone wants to leave 2 days before, so we'd be spending 3 nights on this couch AND I'd be taking 2.5 days off work for this. Not to mention apparently everything is being split down the middle so we'd be paying the same price that people who get real bedrooms are paying. Also, this wedding is "formal attire" (sigh) and we'd all be sharing a bathroom.

I sound super high maintenance, but sorry- I did the whole "sleep on the couch, the floor, wherever in a shared house" thing in my high school and university days. I'm too old for this shit now- I just want my own bed! With a freaking door! And sorry but I can share 1 bathroom with 10 other people if it's a cottage/camping, but if we're expected to look nice for a "formal" wedding, then really?

I told BF that he needs to draw straws or something instead of just being the "nice guy" and taking the couch. And if we end up with the couch we will drive up ourselves so we only have to stay there 1 day, not 3, AND we negotiate a cheaper price so that people with actual beds pay more. He thinks I'm being kind of a diva and I TOTALLY am. I know I sound like an awful person but, I'm seriously just considering staying home that weekend. I would go through these arrangements if these people were like, in my immediate family or a BFF, but they're not. (Also I'm not even super close to the people we're housing with).

Anyway that was a super long FWP vent. Are you guys more "high maintenance" as you get older too?

Formerly martha1818

Re: I'm a Grouchy Diva (slight vent)

• Options

So we got an invite to a wedding of some friends-yay! It'll be around an 11 hr drive from us, and apparently the only places to stay are these lake houses that the bride and groom reserved for everyone (it's in a very remote location). That's totally fine.

So we are sharing a lake house with three other couples and two singles. Apparently the place has some bedrooms and couches in the living room. I was told we'd be getting one of the bedrooms no problem, but now that an additional couple is staying with us because of the lack of room, we might have to stay on the couches because BF is too nice to fight it out with people. 

So here are my issues: We are carpooling with people and everyone wants to leave 2 days before, so we'd be spending 3 nights on this couch AND I'd be taking 2.5 days off work for this. Not to mention apparently everything is being split down the middle so we'd be paying the same price that people who get real bedrooms are paying. Also, this wedding is "formal attire" (sigh) and we'd all be sharing a bathroom.

I sound super high maintenance, but sorry- I did the whole "sleep on the couch, the floor, wherever in a shared house" thing in my high school and university days. I'm too old for this shit now- I just want my own bed! With a freaking door! And sorry but I can share 1 bathroom with 10 other people if it's a cottage/camping, but if we're expected to look nice for a "formal" wedding, then really?

I told BF that he needs to draw straws or something instead of just being the "nice guy" and taking the couch. And if we end up with the couch we will drive up ourselves so we only have to stay there 1 day, not 3, AND we negotiate a cheaper price so that people with actual beds pay more. He thinks I'm being kind of a diva and I TOTALLY am. I know I sound like an awful person but, I'm seriously just considering staying home that weekend. I would go through these arrangements if these people were like, in my immediate family or a BFF, but they're not. (Also I'm not even super close to the people we're housing with).

Anyway that was a super long FWP vent. Are you guys more "high maintenance" as you get older too?

Ugggh.  My sympathy.  I have absolutely gotten more high-maintenance as I've gotten older.  The jam-into-a-room, sleep-on-the-floor-of-a-cheap-motel crap that I did when I was 22 just does not fly a decade later.  My standards for accommodations and comfort have definitely changed as I've gotten older, my income has increased, and my back has started to give out on me at the ripe old age of my early 30s.  #sorrynotsorry

As for this whole wedding--the entire plan sounds ridiculous to me.  It is never appropriate to dictate attire for the wedding.  It is even less appropriate to dictate "formal attire" when you are making people stay in freaking remote lake houses.  I'd be looking for my own accommodations with my own bathroom, even if I had to stay further away from the wedding, or I'd only be spending one night and certainly not three, even if FI and I got our own bed.  I don't think you're being picky at all.
  • Options
    lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    lyndausvi said:

I would NOT even draw straws for a bed.  I either get a real bed or I'm not coming.      If that makes me a bitch, so be it.       Maybe for one night I would deal and that is a big maybe.  3 nights?  Fuck no.

Yeah, totally- I told him he needs to draw straws before we send in our RSVPs because if we get the couch that changes everything.

@redoryx - exactly how I feel! I'm 25 but I feel SO over the "sleep on the floor" days that I was totally cool with, like, 2 years ago haha. 

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    No way would I do that. I would hate those sleeping arrangements, let alone sharing a bathroom with so many people.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

yuck.  I'd be one night and done.....if even that. How did this even come about - did BF learn that another couple was coming and he raised his hand and said here have our bedroom, I love couches? I'm mostly kidding about that but accommodation change would also mean my desire to come would change.

and one bathroom for 10 people?  Umm what.

• Options

I wouldn't take 2.5 days vacation or drive 11 hours for someone I'm not close to, I wouldn't stay in any sort of remote lake house (and certainly not camp), I wouldn't sleep on a couch, or share a bathroom with 10 people.  $20 says there isn't even enough hot water for that many people to get ready for the wedding.

I don't care if that makes me a diva.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    kvruns said:

yuck.  I'd be one night and done.....if even that. How did this even come about - did BF learn that another couple was coming and he raised his hand and said here have our bedroom, I love couches? I'm mostly kidding about that but accommodation change would also mean my desire to come would change.

and one bathroom for 10 people?  Umm what.

No, he found out when talking to his friends that another couple was staying with our group and I guess there was some joking discussions between everyone like, "haha well looks like one couple will have to stay on the couch." And when BF relayed this info to me it was as though it was no big deal if we "end up" on the couch.

And that's when I was all "funny joke sweetie- I'm not giving up close to 3 vacation days and hundreds of dollars on gas/accommodations/gift to sleep on a fucking COUCH. Now you go back and draw some fucking straws."

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    Uh yeah that sounds like a cluster...

And sorry but I'd say the singles should get couches before a couple... Or at least do a rotation where you'd have to do couches only 1 night. Sounds like a mess!
  • Options
    AlisonM23 said:

Uh yeah that sounds like a cluster...

And sorry but I'd say the singles should get couches before a couple... Or at least do a rotation where you'd have to do couches only 1 night. Sounds like a mess!
    Yeah, the singles already have the other couches. A rotation is a good idea though if it comes down to that.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Is there any chance they are sofa beds? 
  • Options
    redoryx said:

Unfortunately nope. Even if they were, that shit is uncomfortable! Also I think my biggest hang-up  is the lack of privacy- I don't want to wake up in the middle of a living room where everyone can see my greasy makeup-less face. Especially when 3/4 of the people I'm staying with I don't even know that well.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

redoryx said:

Unfortunately nope. Even if they were, that shit is uncomfortable! Also I think my biggest hang-up  is the lack of privacy- I don't want to wake up in the middle of a living room where everyone can see my greasy makeup-less face. Especially when 3/4 of the people I'm staying with I don't even know that well.
    Oh, I totally agree but at least you're not gonna be all squeezed on a couch. 

But yes, the lack of privacy would be my biggest issue. Especially since you were originally told you'd be getting a bedroom and now are not.
  • Options
    I wouldn't really feel like going anymore if I were you. Sharing a bathroom while trying to get ready for a wedding sounds like a disaster, especially since I'd be in full on bitch mode already from having to sleep on the damn couch.

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    are there only 10 guests at this wedding or is everyone else local?
  • Options
    There is no way I'd share a single bathroom between 10 people for three nights, bed or not. Not happening.
  • Options
    kvruns said:

are there only 10 guests at this wedding or is everyone else local?

I think there are around 90 guests, and they're all either local or staying at the other lake houses. But our group of friends we're sharing with are the only other people we'll really know there.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    oh, hell to the no. I make too much money and am way too old to play Sleeping On The Couch Roulette.

I don't go if I don't get a bed.
  • Options
    I don't think it's high maintenance to want to sleep in a bed. That you were promised.

Also, I'm not sure how the "we'll just split it down the middle!" arrangement came about. That is some bullshit. Beds cost more than couches.

Any chance you guys can find your own accommodations elsewhere? It's not like the price will be any different--new couple comes in, you and your BF go out. Price stays the same, you keep your sanity.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

I don't think it's high maintenance to want to sleep in a bed. That you were promised.

Also, I'm not sure how the "we'll just split it down the middle!" arrangement came about. That is some bullshit. Beds cost more than couches.

Any chance you guys can find your own accommodations elsewhere? It's not like the price will be any different--new couple comes in, you and your BF go out. Price stays the same, you keep your sanity.
    Apparently there are no other places to stay :( But I think I'll do my own research on that this week and not take people's word for it...

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    I would absolutely find other accommodations or just not go. That's way too much effort for people you're "eh" about. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, add me to the "finding other accommodations or not going" camp.  And that is BS that your bedroom may have gotten taken by another couple.  Just a big nope all around on this.

Is something like Air B&B a possibility?  Maybe there are privately-owned cabins or some such around.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Shit, I wouldn't be happy about sharing a house/bathroom with that many people even with a bedroom. But I sure as fuck wouldn't be sleeping on any couch like that. 

Call me mega diva. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards