Chit Chat

Dinner ideas

13»

Re: Dinner ideas

• sarahufl said:
    RE: the H being gone convo (too many things to quote). He travels about a week a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. His whole family lives nearby and they are always SO WORRIED about me being home. And God forbid if it rains or snows- they invite me to come stay at their house.

While the sentiment is nice, I love being home alone. I work out, I sew, I go to bed super early or super late, I read a lot. I eat junky mac & cheese and don't have to answer to anyone.
    Heh same here.  We moved into our house in Feb, and our neighbors, who are an older couple, seem concerned about me while he's gone.  It's like c'mon, I lived on my own for 12 years (18-30) before I got with him, pretty sure I got this.  Plus, we have a gun in the house and I know how to use it (my biggest worry is coyotes). 
    Married 9.12.15
  • Get out of here, all of you! I just read this whole thread right now and I am STARVING. 

That "diet" soup I brought for lunch is ticking me off now.
  • Re: Husband being away

FI and I did a year and a half of long distance and seeing each other only 5/6 days each month. It was not as big of a transition as I thought it would be when we moved in together, i think because we were both just sick of the distance.

Now he is home 95% of the time, and I get excited for some me time when he does a late night flight or goes out of town on his days off (He sometimes has Mon-Fri off and will head to our home town to do wedding stuff).

When we eventually put in for a work transfer it will be another huge adjustment because he will be working odd hours and be gone weird times. Having got used to him being home for supper the majority of the time, to go to not knowing when he will be home kinda makes me nervous. D
  • simcal18simcal18 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited June 2015
    sarahufl said:
    RE: the H being gone convo (too many things to quote). He travels about a week a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. His whole family lives nearby and they are always SO WORRIED about me being home. And God forbid if it rains or snows- they invite me to come stay at their house.

While the sentiment is nice, I love being home alone. I work out, I sew, I go to bed super early or super late, I read a lot. I eat junky mac & cheese and don't have to answer to anyone.
    Ditto to all of this.  FI has way more family and friends in the area than I do, and whenever he is gone (even for just one night), I get multiple offers of dinner/hangout time/overnight stays.  I really, truly appreciate the community support.  But I lived on my own for 4 years with no family and few friends in the area.  I can handle one night on my own.  And sometimes I really just want to spend a night by myself sitting around in my tank top and underwear eating junky pizza and chocolate and watching bad romantic comedies.
    [Deleted User]
  • Re: Husband being away

I miss alone time right now. We've pretty much been joined at the hip for the past few weeks, getting everything ready to move. Or if we're not together, I'm with other people. H gets some alone times because Tuesday is my band night, but every time he goes out gaming I end up making other plans and then I still have to deal with people. Then last night one of the guy's wives came over during gaming, so I didn't even get the quasi-alone time I was planning on. I like her a lot, but I was looking forward to having a lot of time when nobody was looking for me. Right now I'm really looking forward to Saturday when H is supposed to be beer festing or golfing with the guys. If his plans fall through (they are not firm plans) I might have to make him do something else, because I really want some time just to chill in the house by myself.
  • sarahufl said:

Ditto to all of this.  FI has way more family and friends in the area than I do, and whenever he is gone (even for just one night), I get multiple offers of dinner/hangout time/overnight stays.  I really, truly appreciate the community support.  But I lived on my own for 4 years with no family and few friends in the area.  I can handle one night on my own.  And sometimes I really just want to spend a night by myself sitting around in my tank top and underwear eating junky pizza and chocolate and watching bad romantic comedies.
    See, this is my idea of an AMAZING evening :)
    simcal18novella1186julieanne912
  • sarahufl said:
    sarahufl said:

See, this is my idea of an AMAZING evening :)
    I'm pretty sure relationships were created to keep us from engaging in nights like this too often, lest we all turn into mindless blobs.  But every once in a while, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. 
    sarahufl
  • Just an FYI follow-up on my dinner last night...

It tasted even better leftover as lunch today. Jersey tomatoes FTW!
    ~*~*~*~*~

MairePoppyJells2dot0
  • Tonight I'll be indulging in airport cuisine. I think I might just have a slice of pizza because I know the airline club will only have chex mix and pre-packaged sandwiches. I wish the domestic airline clubs would step it up like the International clubs.

• Just an FYI follow-up on my dinner last night...

dude.  you are making me so jealous.

On a semi-related note.  I just brought and planted a tomato plant today.   Let's hope I can keep it alive.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    Just an FYI follow-up on my dinner last night...

On a semi-related note.  I just brought and planted a tomato plant today.   Let's hope I can keep it alive.
    Tomato season isn't even in full swing yet - these were just greenhouse tomatoes from my favorite farm. In a couple of weeks, I'll be buying tomatoes by the bushel. Beefsteaks, cherries, heirlooms... so many delicious ones to choose from. And corn too!
    ~*~*~*~*~

lyndausvi
  • lyndausvi said:

Tomato season isn't even in full swing yet - these were just greenhouse tomatoes from my favorite farm. In a couple of weeks, I'll be buying tomatoes by the bushel. Beefsteaks, cherries, heirlooms... so many delicious ones to choose from. And corn too!
    okay, you can just stop now

:p

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

okay, you can just stop now

:p

I'm just tempting you to come home........ :p
    ~*~*~*~*~

• NowIAmSypNowIAmSyp member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    Homemade pasta with fresh Jersey tomatoes, garlic, basil from my windowsill, and some nice crusty bread.
    I miss Jersey tomatoes.
    There is nothing like a juicy tomato from New Jersey. I buy big bags of them at the farmers market every weekend to can for the winter. I make pasta sauce and tomato basil soup by the gallon to freeze for the year. I eat them for a snack like an apple. I make caprese just about every weekend because Jersey tomato + hand-pulled fresh mozz + basil + crusty bread = Heaven

@CookiePusher   Um, you and I need to be friends IRL...  because I need homemade caprese in my life (it's my favorite app/salad/snack of ALL time).  Lol
  • I just threw together a marinade and have a nice steak sitting in it until we grill tonight (alongside some fresh JERSEY corn, lol).

This marinade is awesome:

1/4 cup Soy Sauce
    1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
    3 Tablespoons Honey
    2-3 cloves minced garlic

Is it dinner time yet? :)

lyndausvi
  • lyndausvi said:
    Homemade pasta with fresh Jersey tomatoes, garlic, basil from my windowsill, and some nice crusty bread.
    I miss Jersey tomatoes.
    There is nothing like a juicy tomato from New Jersey. I buy big bags of them at the farmers market every weekend to can for the winter. I make pasta sauce and tomato basil soup by the gallon to freeze for the year. I eat them for a snack like an apple. I make caprese just about every weekend because Jersey tomato + hand-pulled fresh mozz + basil + crusty bread = Heaven

@CookiePusher   Um, you and I need to be friends IRL...  because I need homemade caprese in my life (it's my favorite app/salad/snack of ALL time).  Lol
    Psh, I'm in your town all the damn time. I drive through the Livingston circle twice a day. For all you know, I could be doing a drive-by of your house every afternoon. ;)
    ~*~*~*~*~

lyndausvi
  • lyndausvi said:
    I miss Jersey tomatoes.

Psh, I'm in your town all the damn time. I drive through the Livingston circle twice a day. For all you know, I could be doing a drive-by of your house every afternoon. ;)
    Drop off some caprese then, dammit ;)
  • lyndausvi said:
    I miss Jersey tomatoes.

Drop off some caprese then, dammit ;)
    We never have any extra! DH and I eat an entire baguette, a 9-12 oz tomato, and half a pound of fresh mozz each time I make caprese. It's usually the starter before Sunday dinner... which is usually pasta with homemade sauce or steak with fresh, local vegetables. We eat well on Sundays!
    ~*~*~*~*~

NowIAmSyp
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards