Not Engaged Yet
Options

It's FRIDAY!

Re: It's FRIDAY!

• Options
    @aurorarose41, good luck to your FI!
  • Options
    Hey guys!! I've been having an off week!

For those who liked Parks and Recreations (and Jurassic World):

Anniversary
  • Options
    @goldenpenguin sold out lol. Looks like I might have to build one :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    @aurorarose41 - I'm sorry your work is so crappy.  Fingers crossed for your FI!!!
  • Options
    @goldenpenguin sold out lol. Looks like I might have to build one :)
    Sorry for you, but now I'm REALLY glad we ordered ours last weekend!! lol

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @AuroraRose41 Good luck to your FI! Google would be amazing! But ugh...the hours. I think that's the only reason I don't want H to ever apply there or Facebook. I'd never see him!

• Options
    @aurorarose41 Good luck to your FI! Patent law is definitely a growing field right now, and with your engineering background, you'd be a shoe in! I've heard that Google is a fantastic place to work too. You guys have so much to look forward to!

@jenjen047 I enjoy dancing, but I don't think I've ever seen FI dance. He does not like it one bit. For that reason, I think we'll stick to middle school swaying... though I think he could probably waltz. That's not too difficult. We shall see! :) Knowing him though, I guarantee he'll only want to sway once it's time to dance in front of everyone, which I'm totally fine with. I just want him to be comfortable and happy and enjoy a very meaningful moment with him. Also, for the IUD, I'm leaning towards Paragard right now, but I'm going to talk with my doctor about it more next month at my annual checkup.

@GoldenPenguin I'm leaning towards Paragard right now because it's 100% hormone free, but who know what I'll end up with. My well woman visit is next month, so I'll talk to my doctor about what he thinks my best options are. We don't want to TTC for a couple of years, but I'm ready to get off the hormones regardless. 

@speakeasy14 I'm still on the fence about the song, but I've said from the Day 1 that I didn't think he'd be comfortable doing more than just swaying... I have literally never seen him dance in public. He HATES it. When he originally opted for the more upbeat song and dance lessons, I was like, "...who are you?" 

@labro Aw, I love Jason Mraz. He has so many great love songs! Good tip about the short length... will definitely keep that in mind. I'll probably do what @peaseblossom55 did and do a test run with the contenders. 

@minskat30 Glad I'm not the only one! FI really likes electronica and rock.. but almost gothic rock. I like a little bit of everything, but those particular genres are not my cup of tea. We are using a DJ, so I may end up asking him for a few suggestions if we can't make a decision by October 1 lol.

@peaseblossom55 A test run for the contenders is a great idea! Thank you!

• Options
    @aurorarose41 - ugh sorry about you and FI having tough times at work. but exciting about google!! it sounds like you already know this but i have heard from friends that work there that the hours are crazy and all the perks are really necessitites to prevent everyone from being totally miserable. but if FI is already working crazy hours, then it sounds like google would be an improvement (at least from a money standpoint).
  • Options
    One chapter to go! 31 pages. I got this.
  • Options
    Thank you all! @eilis1228 I think I would really enjoy it. I like legal stuff and technical writing, and am very good at explaining difficult engineering concepts in layman's terms. From my research and even talking to other patent attorneys, it seems like I have the skill set for it. And engineers, especially electrical engineers, are highly sought after as patent attorneys. 

@labro yea unfortunately our hours are about the same now as they would be at Google, but with less perks. We have healthcare on site and paid for by the company (that's changing in 2016 though to come out of our paychecks pre-tax), but that's about it as far as benefits are concerned. And our starting vacation time is the same as Google, except that Google increases vacation time sooner than our company does (i.e. fewer years of employment for vacation time increases). Basically FI felt that if he is going to work that many hours anyways, he might as well get a higher salary and more benefits. Also, apparently it is completely acceptable to drink at work as long as you don't get hammered. His friend has a fully stocked office and has sent FI pictures. 

• Options
    @eilis1228 - Everyone is different, but I have heard some HORROR stories with Paraguard. One of my friends got it and bled - heavy period style - for three months straight before finally getting it removed. But, some people love it. @labro - don't you have the Paraguard? The amount of hormones in the Mirena is really miniscule - and, if you're planning on TTC in a few years anyway, you may want to look into the Skyla. It's even smaller than Mirena and only lasts three years as opposed to five. @swazzle has one!

Also, our first dance song was Jason Mraz, and was 2.5 minutes long, and I remember looking at H at one point and saying "OMG this is taking FOREVER." hahaha

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    labrolabro member
    @AuroraRose41 Yeah I totally get that! H is really lucky right now. He has the rarest of the rare things in the IT industry...which is basically a 9 to 5 with not a ton of on-call. He gets decent benefits, an amazing salary, AND I get to see him every evening. So it's definitely going to take a lot for us to want to move somewhere else that is more a Google-esque type of setting.

• Options
    Also, apparently it is completely acceptable to drink at work as long as you don't get hammered. His friend has a fully stocked office and has sent FI pictures. 
    A lot of smaller engineering firms do this too. We used to share a building with an engineering firm, and they bought a kegerator and stocked the fridge with beer. They walked around in jeans and flip flops too. I was infinitely jealous. 

• Options
    labrolabro member
    @GoldenPenguin Yeah I have the Paragard. I think it's mixed. For me, my periods have been consistent every month. They usually last 4 days with one or two heavy days at the beginning and then it tapers off. I usually have mild or no PMS symptoms. I think it can depend a lot on the periods you had before you were on the pill. For me, mine were always regular, not especially heavy, and I didn't have any crazy symptoms. The different thing about Paragard vs Mirena or Skyla is zero hormones. So your fertility is the same the day you get it removed. There's no adjustment period with the hormones (as trace as they are with Mirena and Sklya) after removal. With any of the IUDs, you can have them removed at any time.

Size wise - Skyla is the smallest, and Mirena is the largest with Paragard in between. They recommend Sklya more often than the other two for women who haven't had children for that reason. It's just something to talk to your gyn about.

• Options
    AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    eilis1228 said:
    Also, apparently it is completely acceptable to drink at work as long as you don't get hammered. His friend has a fully stocked office and has sent FI pictures. 
    A lot of smaller engineering firms do this too. We used to share a building with an engineering firm, and they bought a kegerator and stocked the fridge with beer. They walked around in jeans and flip flops too. I was infinitely jealous. 
    I think it actually used to be acceptable at our company too. We do have a brewery on campus (not affliated with our company though). From what I have heard people used to go there for lunch and have a few beers. Now it's more of a happy hour place for after work drinks. Also to the bolded, we do this lol. Our director wears shorts, a hawaiian shirt, and flip flops everyday. He looks like a hippie too. ETA: I meant that he has long hair, and is just not someone you would peg for a director of a Fortune 500. Maybe a 70's surfer would fit better than hippie. You could definitely see him driving a wood paneled station wagon with a surf board.  

• Options
    @labro, @goldenpenguin - thanks for the reviews on the IUDs. Something to consider before I go see an gyn in July (new fiscal year = new health insurance this year).
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    eilis1228 said:
    I think it actually used to be acceptable at our company too. We do have a brewery on campus (not affliated with our company though). From what I have heard people used to go there for lunch and have a few beers. Now it's more of a happy hour place for after work drinks. Also to the bolded, we do this lol. Our director wears shorts, a hawaiian shirt, and flip flops everyday. He looks like a hippie too. ETA: I meant that he has long hair, and is just not someone you would peg for a director of a Fortune 500. Maybe a 70's surfer would fit better than hippie. You could definitely see him driving a wood paneled station wagon with a surf board.  
    H is getting really annoyed with the whole dress code thing at work. They used to keep a few beers stocked in the fridge for Friday happy hour and all sorts of stuff. But they've been cracking down on all the "fun" things like Thanksgiving turkery fries, and chili cook offs, and the casual dress code. More and more often they want him to dress up because C-levels are going to be in the building and he HATES it. He definitely wants to be somewhere more relaxed....although usually he wears jeans and a polo to work (and shorts on Fridays).

• Options
    @labro @goldenpenguin Skyla is on my radar too. I didn't realize it was smaller than the others too. Hmmmm... so much to consider! I'm glad I have a doctor's appointment next month so I can figure all of this out. Whatever I end up doing, it will likely happen in November after the HM. I think IUDs have a bad reputation because they can cause a lot of issues (or at least used to), which is why my mom is so against them. I definitely will be doing more research before I go in.

• Options

labro said:
    eilis1228 said:
    H is getting really annoyed with the whole dress code thing at work. They used to keep a few beers stocked in the fridge for Friday happy hour and all sorts of stuff. But they've been cracking down on all the "fun" things like Thanksgiving turkery fries, and chili cook offs, and the casual dress code. More and more often they want him to dress up because C-levels are going to be in the building and he HATES it. He definitely wants to be somewhere more relaxed....although usually he wears jeans and a polo to work (and shorts on Fridays).
    every company ive worked at (marketing firms) has had no dress code (i wear yoga pants or leggings most days) and a fridge stocked with beer and wine. i guess ive been spoiled?
  • Options
    @eilis1228 & @keptinstitches - Getting an IUD was 100% the best decision I've made for my reproductive health. I don't regret one thing about it. Unless H gets a vasectomy, or I look into tubal ligation or something, I'll get another one in two years when my time is up with this one. For nothing else except NO PERIOD! 

• Options
    labrolabro member
    @eilis1228 That reputation is SO old and out of date. ALL the big/horrible/bad issues with IUDs are from the 80s. There are still some problems from time to time like pelvic inflammatory disease but the risks are way more miniscule.

• Options

@Swazzle Have fun at your party!!! Glad the weather is going to be nice! Also, love the china cabinet!!!

@Hummingbird125 Love the bed! Your post made me want to go change all of our bedding!

@cu97tiger I definitely would’ve used that as an excuse to sleep in! You go girl.

@GoldenPenguin Love the wine bar!! I totally need one of those!

@eilis1228 I love “I Won’t Give Up”!! Such a sweet song! 

@labro Congrats to your dad!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was my last full day of class with most of my students, since the majority of them are exempt from taking the final exam next week. Such a bittersweet day! I revealed to them that this is my first year teaching, and one of my classes literally gave me a standing ovation. I’m hoping to teach many of them next year!

TGIF. Tonight, I’m doing absolutely nothing. BF is working until 9ish, so I’m planning to just lay around all evening. J

Tomorrow, BF and I are going to the Rascal Flatts concert with my sister and a group of her friends. We’re planning to tailgate, which we normally don’t do so we’re looking forward to that! I love Rascal Flatts – I’ve seen them every year for the last 10 years!

Sunday, we’re going to a neighbor’s kid’s 3rd birthday party. They’re going all out with this carnival theme and spending tons of money – it’s crazy! Then we’ll just be getting ready for next week; I can’t believe next week is the last week of school!!  4 more days!

• Options
    @goldenpenguin - it's something I'm seriously considering, but since H and I are talking about considering starting TTC in a year or so, I'm not sure it's worth the expense to have an IUD placed only to remove it a year later. But then there's also concerns about what to do with the pill since I haven't been on oral contraceptives. Argh.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    @KeptInStitches Yeah, an IUD may not be worth it. FWIW, when I had mine inserted I had to pay for something like...20% but then I got ALL my money refunded to me randomly right before the wedding. It was like a wedding gift from my insurance company! So I'd check and see what costs (if any) there are. A lot of companies are updating and changing their policies to make it easier.

• Options
    TwoDimes said:
    eilis1228 said:
    Count small marketing firms in this too. FI's job (marketing consultant) is super flexible and has fun perks. He wears jeans pretty much daily, cracks a beer in the afternoon, and happy hours with the coworkers most Fridays. His building is a co-op with other like-minded companies, and the whole building will frequently have get-togethers for cookouts and whatnot. Oh, and they have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles old-school arcade game.

BUT, I have a pension ;)
    larger marketing firms too. i have worked for 2 worldwide firms with these perks and mentalities (we have a massage chair in our breakroom, ping pong, a giant jenga game, a manicurist that comes once a month, etc.)
    labro said:
    @KeptInStitches Yeah, an IUD may not be worth it. FWIW, when I had mine inserted I had to pay for something like...20% but then I got ALL my money refunded to me randomly right before the wedding. It was like a wedding gift from my insurance company! So I'd check and see what costs (if any) there are. A lot of companies are updating and changing their policies to make it easier.
    i got my IUD in january 2015 and it was free. i have a HDHP plan so generally NOTHING is free for me. i thought all BC was free under the affordable care act from a few years ago?
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    @jenjen047 I'm still confused by the rules. I know my pill was free after the ACA but I think there can still be differentiations between what's free and what's not? I don't even know. I figure the best way to find out is just call your insurance company ask what's covered, and how much the cost is if it isn't 100% covered.

• Options
    jenjen047 said:
    TwoDimes said:
    eilis1228 said:
    Count small marketing firms in this too. FI's job (marketing consultant) is super flexible and has fun perks. He wears jeans pretty much daily, cracks a beer in the afternoon, and happy hours with the coworkers most Fridays. His building is a co-op with other like-minded companies, and the whole building will frequently have get-togethers for cookouts and whatnot. Oh, and they have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles old-school arcade game.

BUT, I have a pension ;)
    larger marketing firms too. i have worked for 2 worldwide firms with these perks and mentalities (we have a massage chair in our breakroom, ping pong, a giant jenga game, a manicurist that comes once a month, etc.)
    labro said:
    i got my IUD in january 2015 and it was free. i have a HDHP plan so generally NOTHING is free for me. i thought all BC was free under the affordable care act from a few years ago?
    It is, but I don't know if it includes IUDs or the insertion procedure. A PSA about the free BC-- it's only for one month's worth of pills/patch/ring/whatever you use monthly. A friend of mine had no idea it was free because she'd been getting it in 3-month packs. The pharmacist told her last month if she changed to one-month packs, she'd get it 100% free. When I told her this has been the case for a couple of years, her mind was blown. 

• Options
    @AuroraRose41 - Good luck to your FI! Having a stressful or otherwise sucky job is the worst!

• Options
    yeah, health insurance is so confusing. agree with @labro it's best to check with your insurance company.
  • Options
    Also, @TwoDimes, I feel the same way about my job. Strict dress code and no fun perks like booze in the workplace, but at least I have great benefits? Woohoo? :-P

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards