Do you have TV in the bedroom? 125 votes

Yes
60% 76 votes
No- but I want one
5% 7 votes
No- don't want one
33% 42 votes

Re: Do you have TV in the bedroom?

• Fuck yes! I can't sleep without the TV on. 

We watch the science channel because it's boring, monotone and doesn't go to paid programming in the middle of the night. I will wake up pretty much immediately when a channel switches to paid programming. It's so much louder. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • We have my little one from college and it doesn't have cable; just a dvd player hooked up to it. Watching an old Simpson's episode is part of my going-to-bed routine, plus it's awesome to be able to cuddle up and watch a movie in bed when the weather is nasty. Other than that, though, we only watch tv in the living room. 
  • I don't know what I would do without a tv in my bedroom.  We have a tv in the bedroom, the guestroom, the kitchen and the family room.  Once our office is put together we will have one in there and once the basement is finished there will be a huge ass one in there.

My bedroom, since our basement is unfinished at the moment, is my sanctuary when H is playing video games in the family room.  I turn on the tv the moment I get up and leave it on while I fall asleep and then H turns it off when he comes to bed.  When H is away, I leave the tv on all night for the slight background noise and the light.

• Yes, we usually watch a couple TV shows on Netflix or DVD before bed. It helps us wind down and allow the cats and dog get a few more cuddles before we sleep. 
  • Absolutely. I do not leave it on while sleeping, though. I like to watch in bed right before I go to sleep. People say that's not good, but I disagree for me. When I have had to stay in the other room watching and then go to bedroom to sleep, I feel like I haven't had that wind down to sleep time. And I like it on in the morning while I'm getting ready. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    Yep, we both like the white noise.   To sleep we stick with some old sitcoms.  Mostly Seinfeld.  Sometimes once DH goes to sleep I will sometimes switch over to How it's Made because of it's monotone too!.

We put on the sleep mode for 60-90 minutes, most nights we are both asleep before it goes off.

ETA -   DH sleeps in, but before DH days I would watch the news while getting ready in the morning.   Another reason why I like a TV in the room.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @novella1186 Same with us. Neither of us can sleep with a TV on, so we mainly watch in the living room and then go to bed for sleeptime. We need a new TV for the living room so I'm debating just moving mine from the bedroom instead of buying a new one (and paying for an additional cable box). But then like you said, sometimes you just really want to lie in bed and watch!

• I don't know what I would do without a tv in my bedroom.  We have a tv in the bedroom, the guestroom, the kitchen and the family room.  Once our office is put together we will have one in there and once the basement is finished there will be a huge ass one in there.

My bedroom, since our basement is unfinished at the moment, is my sanctuary when H is playing video games in the family room.  I turn on the tv the moment I get up and leave it on while I fall asleep and then H turns it off when he comes to bed.  When H is away, I leave the tv on all night for the slight background noise and the light.
    I do the same thing. I really need to cuz if I hear the slightest noise and H isn't there, I get too freaked out. This is embarrassing to admit but when he was away for his bachelor party, a drunk guy walked into our front yard and made owl noises outside the window. It freaked me out so bad that I stayed awake till sunrise. 
  • We have one, but it's only hooked up to a PS3 for Netflix or DVDs. Occasionally we cuddle up and watch a movie in there, but it's rare. It got the most use when I had mono a few months ago (a month before the wedding) and netflixing in bed was about all I could do. When we get around to finishing our basement, it will get moved there instead. Too much TV in bed can give me insomnia, so I won't mind moving it.
  • We do have a TV in our bedroom. We watch a couple episodes of something mindless and usually put the sleep timer on to help us fall asleep. I've done it for so long now that it would be weird to just go right to sleep when I get in bed.
  • We used to use the TV to put us to sleep but now we stopped.   Getting rid of cable also means we either stream Netflix that we've already seen or go to sleep to networks that broadcast a digital signal over the air.   When you live in the wooded boonies, it's hard to get that.

A lot of studies show that many people sleep better without the TV.   Having the baby means my sleep generally sucks anyway so it's nice to have trained my body not to need it. 
  • Yes but we rarely watch it.  The main reason it's in there is because it's an extra one.  Our old house had a living room downstairs and a loft upstairs, and our new house just has one big living room.  It's mounted on the wall.  

Since moving in in February, I used it one weekend morning when FI was out of town and my mom was visiting and I didn't want to wake her by using the main TV, and we used it a few times when playoff hockey went really late at night.  The main TV and the bedroom TV share a wall, so with the sound on, it's hard to watch different things on them at the same time.
    Married 9.12.15
  • We have a small old one but we almost never use it. We're not TV people. We may watch some Netflix in there when the weather is really hot because the bedroom has AC (The AC in the rest of the apartment often doesn't work).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Nope, this is a non negotiable for me though. I'm a super light sleeper and I can't tolerate any light when sleeping. We have talked about getting another tv for the "Man Cave" but not for any of the bedrooms.
  • Yup, but I'm the only one who watches it.  It's usually only on in the mornings, on the news while I'm getting ready.  On occasions, I watch in there during the day (weekends, summer) if DH is watching something else in the bonus room.  But we don't watch together at night before bed.  We have iPads and phones for that kind of distraction

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I grew up not having TV in the bedroom and my parents have never had one in there.  I got used to it in college and when I was out on my own always had it.  Mostly just for watching the news in the morning/evening while getting ready, I don't really lay in bed and watch tv unless we want to watch different stuff and neither wants to go upstairs to the loft.
  • Nope- I am a light sleeper so I can't sleep with the TV. I barely got any sleep when my AC is on. I can't imagine how much worse it would be with the TV on.
  • We do. I've always had to have it on to sleep. I usually put it on Criminal Minds since I've seen the all. It does make for some crazy dreams.

DH used to not like the TV on before bed but now he has gotten used to it too.

I usually set the sleep timer for about an hour.

• emmaaa said:
    We do. I've always had to have it on to sleep. I usually put it on Criminal Minds since I've seen the all. It does make for some crazy dreams.

I always have crazy dreams when I watch The Walking Dead before I go to sleep (this happens whether or not I am watching it in bed or in the living room).  I typically wake up tired because I have been running away from zombies all night.

• We have one but rarely use it. It's nice to have though when DH is away. But I don't leave it on at night.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• emmaaa said:
    We do. I've always had to have it on to sleep. I usually put it on Criminal Minds since I've seen the all. It does make for some crazy dreams.

I always have crazy dreams when I watch The Walking Dead before I go to sleep (this happens whether or not I am watching it in bed or in the living room).  I typically wake up tired because I have been running away from zombies all night.
    Yes! TWD is the worst. I totally get the waking up tired. I feel like I've already had my workout for the day.

• We have it but we rarely ever use it. It's hooked up to an old Xbox360 and it's got a ChromeCast but we usually just watch in the living room. It might start getting more use though since FI has found a new WWII documentary series to binge. Bleh. 
  • FI had a TV in the bedroom back when we had roommates. Maybe we will again when we have kids. For now, we have two TVs in the living room and want a third.

We have the two TVs because sometimes we both want to play video games, or one of us plays video games while we watch TV. We want a third so we can both play video games and watch something at the same time.

We like video games.

• We did a year and a half of long distance and only seeing each other 4 days a month. When we moved in together and were 'figuring each other out' we both decided that it was important to us to both go to bed together. I, however, need to usually be in bed by 9, 10 at the latest where my FI can be a bit of a night owl. Our compromise was the TV in the bedroom, otherwise I would go to sleep alone all the time and wake up to find him passed out on the couch. So when i am ready for bed we go, usually watch a bit of a program together and snuggle and then I roll over and go to sleep and FI will continue watching or read or play on his phone etc.

When he is out of town for work I have to leave the TV on now ha ha. Otherwise the house feels too big and lonely. 
  • H can't go to sleep without the background noise, I used to like it silent, but I've gotten used to it.  We usually leave it on QVC because 1) I'm secretly 80 living in FL and 2) it can't switch to paid programming and wake me up because it IS paid programming ;) 

We usually set the sleep timer, but if we forget it's not a big deal.  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• We had one in the last house because it was an extra and we thought we might enjoy movies before bed. We watched exactly one movie on it and then moved it into the spare room in the new house (we don't have cable and never hooked up the netflix to it). I'm pretty firm on not wanting one in the bedroom, that is my zen space, we can watch TV in the living room and FI agrees. We both also read before bed so that is our wind down time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • emmaaa said:
    emmaaa said:

Yes! TWD is the worst. I totally get the waking up tired. I feel like I've already had my workout for the day.
    Criminal Minds and Castle are the two we watch before bed. I can't watch TWD (or most things involving zombies) or I won't sleep for a week.
  • We have a TV in the bedroom, but we don't sleep with it on (at least not on purpose)... I always have super weird dreams if I fall asleep with the TV on, and then I wake up in the middle of the night to weird shit or infomercials. I remember once falling asleep watching Dr. Strangelove, and apparently, the DVD player was on a loop because I woke up a few hours later to a really weird scene and it freaked me out. We usually watch something like NatGeo or the news for 10-15 minutes before turning in.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We used to fall asleep to the ID channel and never had weird dreams or anything. I loved when that channel was all facts and forensics. Now it's too dramatic with the reenactments and narration. If I'm awake in the middle of the night, I watch old reruns of Forensic Files and The New Detectives and stuff like that. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards