Chit Chat
Options

Do you have TV in the bedroom?

13»

Re: Do you have TV in the bedroom?

• Options
    We have had a TV in our room since having children.  The TV noise masks, uh, other noises that might come from our bedroom.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    No, and we don't want one. We don't have any TV at all. I grew up without TV only watching DVDs of TV shows and movies when I was older - 10-12 or so. H's family had an ancient model that was only used to watch movies and the news in the evening.

We likely will never get a TV. I see no real need for it. Most of the TV shows I want to watch I can stream online when I'm at the library. We use laptops to watch movies, which we get on DVD from Netflix. I don't like watching something for my news. I much prefer to read it so I can skim and read what I want or what I haven't heard yet, not have to watch whatever is being broadcast.

We have occasionally brought the laptop into the bedroom to watch a movie while in bed, but that's pretty rare. We've only done it maybe 6 or 7 times in the 2.5 years we've been married.
  • Options
    @lyndausvi mmmm now I will be looking into those cookers! thanks!

• Options
    CMGragain said:
    We have had a TV in our room since having children.  The TV noise masks, uh, other noises that might come from our bedroom.

Totally didn't think of that. Growing up my parents' room was at the opposite end of the house. But our house will share a wall with future child.

• Options
    FI and I don't live together yet, but when we do we plan to have a small tv in the bedroom. We both enjoy cuddling up and watching a movie together and the bed is better than the couch for cuddling IMO. 
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @lyndausvi This is completely off topic but whatever, I don't want to start a whole new thread. Someone was just talking about the amazing steak they had cooked with a sous vide. Does your hubby use one? Do you know anything about their awesomeness (or lack of)? I had never heard of it until today and now I'm so intruiged.
    I'm not Lynda and neither me or my H are chefs but my H does a "redneck sous vide" in a cooler with hot water. He's done it with venison steaks and when they're done in the cooler, he sears them for like 30 seconds per side. SO GOOD.
    My H is a homebrewer.  He built a recirculating mash tun (basically a cooler) that works the same way as a sous vide system. He did steak in there once then quickly seared it on the grill (or maybe in a pan).  It was, without a doubt, the BEST steak I've eaten.

• Options

Yes, but we rarely use it. The times we use it are:

Hung over/sick, dont want to get out of bed

He wants to play video games, and I'm going to bed soon. Watch my show upstairs.

Occasionally, play music during sexy time.

Other than that, we watch downstairs. Our other tv is way bigger, better, has netflix, can record like 6 shows. So, even if we dont want to watch the same thing, I can record something (or he can) and watch it later. Our schedules are different enough that we have a few hours w/o each other during the day to catch up. It's not really an issue for us either way. I know some people find them distracting or cant live without it. We are pretty neutral.

• Options
    No tv in our bedroom.  Just sex and sleep!  That said, we have a tv in our living room and our family room, so we technically each have one - and both rooms are comfy for lounging so we really don't have any desire to have one in the bedroom. 
  • Options
    It took an act of congress for me to even convince H to let me have an alarm clock in the bedroom because he doesn't deal with lights in the bedroom. 

I often bring my laptop to bed to watch Netflix if H isn't home or if he is working late.
  • Options
    I wouldn't know what to do without a TV in my bedroom! Since I was about 13 or so I've been able to watch movies in bed before going to sleep (I had a portable DVD player). Now, I'm in a 3 BR apt and have 2 roommates (one is my FI), and each of us has a TV in our bedroom AND we have one in the living room as well!
  • Options

Nope. I'm a firm believer in the bedroom only being used for sleep and sex. And as someone with a history of insomnia, the "no screens in the bedroom" rule (including phones, tablets, laptops) is non-negotiable. I sleep really well these days since instituting strict sleep hygiene habits, starting with this one.

SITB---------

I haven't made it through this thread yet but since our "chat" last week, I'm trying hard to abide by your advice. It's been baby steps & I'm on the road again in WI so I admit to taking my iPAD to bed to lull myself to sleep with Eastbound & Down last night, but when I've awoken in the middle of the night, I've resisted the urge to check the time on my phone. Also my 4am Amazon Prime purchase of the lavender pillow seems to help, even if it's just a placebo effect.

Long story short, we have no TV in the bedroom & don't intend to. We both now have sleep issues and I want to try to keep that area as tranquil as possible.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I've always had to sleep with some sort of white noise.   My parents use to host dinner parties when we were young and we were expected to go to bed even though there was a party downstairs.

As a kid/teen I had the radio on.  Then when I moved in with roommates I had a TV for my room.  Started out just to be able to watch what I wanted, then I started using it to sleep.    Then I moved out on my own and liked the white noise.     

Luckily DH is the same.  But as I said, we have to put the sleep mode on.  We will both wake up at some point if it's on all night.  

I get really irritated if DH comes in after I've been sleeping and tries to put on a movie or something.  I wake up immediately.    There are only a handful of shows I will allow to be on to sleep.  Seinfeld, King of Queens (although I'm not really a fan, DH is), How's it's Made, Golden Girls (only after DH is asleep since he hates the show) and Forensic Files.

The volume is set pretty low too.  

It's like we're the same person! I usually watch Friends or How I met your mother when going to sleep now. But when I was in college I used to watch forensic files.

• Options
    I feel like I have a weird combo of it must be pitch black for me to fall asleep but also can not be dead silent. To fall asleep I play Netflix on my phone with the phone face-down- anyone else do this??
    I never thought of doing that. Perfect for when you are someplace without a TV.

• Options

I can't sleep with any noise or light distraction, so no TV.  It even takes me a long time to fall asleep if J and I are facing away from each other and he has his Kindle on dim.  We both have Netflix on our tablets, though, so if we do want to watch something in bed, it's easy.

My sister used to need music to put her to sleep, so when we shared a room, she'd play one side of a tape really quietly, conk out within the first three minutes, and then I would wait until the tape was over until I could go to sleep.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    We do, but we never use it since having DD.  We used to love cuddling up and watching a movie in bed, but DD sleeps in our room, and there's no time for that anyway.  Sigh.

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards