Chit Chat

Do you have TV in the bedroom?

Re: Do you have TV in the bedroom?

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    emmaaa said:
    emmaaa said:
    We do. I've always had to have it on to sleep. I usually put it on Criminal Minds since I've seen the all. It does make for some crazy dreams.

DH used to not like the TV on before bed but now he has gotten used to it too.

I usually set the sleep timer for about an hour.
    I always have crazy dreams when I watch The Walking Dead before I go to sleep (this happens whether or not I am watching it in bed or in the living room).  I typically wake up tired because I have been running away from zombies all night.
    Yes! TWD is the worst. I totally get the waking up tired. I feel like I've already had my workout for the day.
    Criminal Minds and Castle are the two we watch before bed. I can't watch TWD (or most things involving zombies) or I won't sleep for a week.
    I refuse to watch Criminal Minds if it is dark out.  So in the winter it takes forever for me to catch up since it is dark at like 4pm
  • Apparently we're the odd people out. H really dislikes the idea of having a TV in our room and I've only ever had one twice. During freshman year when my dorm was one room and I had a tiny one in my bedroom when I first lived alone, but I never watched it. So we have the hookups and everything from the old owner, but we don't want to put one in.

We do generally sleep to silence, which isn't my favorite. I liked to use a fan as white noise, but H can't really sleep that way. And when he is in bed with me the lack of noise doesn't bother me. When he is out of town I go back to my old ways.
  • kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:
    emmaaa said:
    We do. I've always had to have it on to sleep. I usually put it on Criminal Minds since I've seen the all. It does make for some crazy dreams.

I always have crazy dreams when I watch The Walking Dead before I go to sleep (this happens whether or not I am watching it in bed or in the living room).  I typically wake up tired because I have been running away from zombies all night.
    Yes! TWD is the worst. I totally get the waking up tired. I feel like I've already had my workout for the day.
    Criminal Minds and Castle are the two we watch before bed. I can't watch TWD (or most things involving zombies) or I won't sleep for a week.
    I refuse to watch Criminal Minds if it is dark out.  So in the winter it takes forever for me to catch up since it is dark at like 4pm
    But, but, the hotties on the show will protect you!!!

• kvruns said:
    emmaaa said:
    emmaaa said:

But, but, the hotties on the show will protect you!!!

I love Criminal Minds, but it's not a sleeping TV watching.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We do have one in the bedroom.  We used to do most of our tv watching in bed, instead of the living room, but we stopped that a few years ago.  Now the bedroom tv primarily gets used while I get ready in the morning and we do all our other tv watching in the living room.  We do sometimes watch tv in bed in evening if we are sick or sore though and just want to lay in bed. 

• No, and it's a non-negotiable for me.
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Yes but it doesn't get used. It was mine, and it's fairly new, so we didn't want to get rid of it when I moved in. When we get a bigger place we'll put it in the spare bedroom or office or whatever we have.

I watch it occasionally when I'm folding laundry on the bed or whatever, but we never watch tv in bed.
  • We had one in the bedroom before we moved into our new house, but we almost never used it. So in our new house, we don't have a TV in the bedroom. Instead of watching TV in bed to unwind, we cuddle and talk or cuddle and play a game together on his phone. Laying with my head on DH's chest with his arm around me relaxes me more than TV does.

We have a 65" TV in the living room and a 42" in the office/game room/library. We watch shows and movies in the living room and play video games on the other TV. But we don't have cable anymore, so DH downloads all our shows to watch.
  • We have one but it is very rarely on.  Sometimes it gets turned on while one of us is cleaning the bathroom/bedroom or if we are checking the weather.  Otherwise it sits there gathering dust.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I have slept with a TV on my room since I was a kid. I have always needed one on, like I would have trouble going back to sleep if I used the sleep timer even and it turned itself off.
    DH can't sleep with it on (supposedly though I have caught him sleeping during shows soooo many times). Since he has so many sleep issues I defered to him on that one, but still slept with it on on nights that he worked.
    Recently I started leaving it off even when I was alone and I've managed ok. This development helped me decide to cut the cable.
    If I watch anything with DH, which is fairly rare anyway, it's on the bedroom tv bluray. I can't remember the last time we watched anything in the living room. He uses that tv on his own all the time, though. I almost never do. I need to get a WiFi media thing for the office tv now.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• luckya23 said:

I have slept with a TV on my room since I was a kid. I have always needed one on, like I would have trouble going back to sleep if I used the sleep timer even and it turned itself off. 

This is me. I have always slept with the tv on. The only time I don't have to is when I have someone in bed with me.

• We have one.  I use it for my nighttime/after work watching.  Our TV room doubles as a project space for H, so he's always puttering around doing/building something.  We do watch at night.  I can't sleep without the TV being on.  My brain does not shut off at night and focusing on the TV helps to turn off all the random thoughts I have.

We generally set the sleep timer for 1.5 hours.  By that time I've fallen asleep.  If I'm really having trouble sleeping, I will go sleep in the spare room (which also has a TV) so I can turn off the TV and let H get a good sleep rather than me tossing & turning with the TV on all night.

• I've always had to sleep with some sort of white noise.   My parents use to host dinner parties when we were young and we were expected to go to bed even though there was a party downstairs.

As a kid/teen I had the radio on.  Then when I moved in with roommates I had a TV for my room.  Started out just to be able to watch what I wanted, then I started using it to sleep.    Then I moved out on my own and liked the white noise.     

Luckily DH is the same.  But as I said, we have to put the sleep mode on.  We will both wake up at some point if it's on all night.  

I get really irritated if DH comes in after I've been sleeping and tries to put on a movie or something.  I wake up immediately.    There are only a handful of shows I will allow to be on to sleep.  Seinfeld, King of Queens (although I'm not really a fan, DH is), How's it's Made, Golden Girls (only after DH is asleep since he hates the show) and Forensic Files.

The volume is set pretty low too.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm surprised so many people need the noise to sleep. I grew up with complete silence so that's what I need. Babysitting my niece one time, I was supposed to spend the night but their ticking clock kept me up so when my bro got home at 3am I got up and left.

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    jenna8984 said:
    I'm surprised so many people need the noise to sleep. I grew up with complete silence so that's what I need. Babysitting my niece one time, I was supposed to spend the night but their ticking clock kept me up so when my bro got home at 3am I got up and left.
    OMG my parents have so many loudass clocks that I hate staying the night there (usually just Thanksgiving). Apparently my uncle (mom's brother) is that way too and he has trouble sleeping there when he visits.  They have a clock that chimes every 15 min, a cuckoo clock that makes noise every 30 min (but not in sync with the other) and those are at the other end of the house, let alone the random ticking clock in the guest bedroom or the 2-3 other ticking ones in the living room/kitchen.  I don't remember having this problem growing up and I know we had some of these clocks then, so I guess I was used to it then and now I've gotten used to silence so the clocks are tough.
  • Yes, we have one. We live in a one-bedroom condo so if we didn't have a TV in the bedroom, deciding what to watch at night on living room TV would be tense!  He gets his car shows and I get my Dance Moms, so two TVs helps a lot. 

• We used to fall asleep to the ID channel and never had weird dreams or anything. I loved when that channel was all facts and forensics. Now it's too dramatic with the reenactments and narration. If I'm awake in the middle of the night, I watch old reruns of Forensic Files and The New Detectives and stuff like that. 
    Ditto the bolded stuff. I used to fall asleep so good when Forensic Files was on. Something about that guy's voice.. 
  • kvruns said:
    jenna8984 said:
    I'm surprised so many people need the noise to sleep. I grew up with complete silence so that's what I need. Babysitting my niece one time, I was supposed to spend the night but their ticking clock kept me up so when my bro got home at 3am I got up and left.
    OMG my parents have so many loudass clocks that I hate staying the night there (usually just Thanksgiving). Apparently my uncle (mom's brother) is that way too and he has trouble sleeping there when he visits.  They have a clock that chimes every 15 min, a cuckoo clock that makes noise every 30 min (but not in sync with the other) and those are at the other end of the house, let alone the random ticking clock in the guest bedroom or the 2-3 other ticking ones in the living room/kitchen.  I don't remember having this problem growing up and I know we had some of these clocks then, so I guess I was used to it then and now I've gotten used to silence so the clocks are tough.
    DH LOVES clocks. We have at least two clocks in every room. He has an antique pendulum clock that he hand-restored and is enormously proud of, that chimes (loudly!) every hour, and has recently acquired a cuckoo clock too. When we were first dating I had to have him stop the pendulum every night because it would wake me up even though it was 3 rooms away, and then when we moved in together I wore earplugs for a long time. But now I've gotten used to them so they don't wake me up any more. I really love the cuckoo clock actually - it makes me smile every time it goes off (which is also every 30 min).
  • We used to fall asleep to the ID channel and never had weird dreams or anything. I loved when that channel was all facts and forensics. Now it's too dramatic with the reenactments and narration. If I'm awake in the middle of the night, I watch old reruns of Forensic Files and The New Detectives and stuff like that. 
    Ditto the bolded stuff. I used to fall asleep so good when Forensic Files was on. Something about that guy's voice.. 
    Forensic Files are still on one of the news channels a lot. I don't usually sleep to it though because their morning news girl is annoying as shit and comes on at like 4 AM.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    Forensic Files are still on one of the news channels a lot. I don't usually sleep to it though because their morning news girl is annoying as shit and comes on at like 4 AM.
    His voice is so slothing.   Which is messed up because all he talks about is death. 

Robin Meade annoys me.   We use sleep mode, so never get to that point, but her voice would wake me up at 4am if we didn't.

• lyndausvi said:
    We used to fall asleep to the ID channel and never had weird dreams or anything. I loved when that channel was all facts and forensics. Now it's too dramatic with the reenactments and narration. If I'm awake in the middle of the night, I watch old reruns of Forensic Files and The New Detectives and stuff like that. 
    His voice is so slothing.   Which is messed up because all he talks about is death. 

Robin Meade annoys me.   We use sleep mode, so never get to that point, but her voice would wake me up at 4am if we didn't.

The Unsolved Mysteries guy had a similarly awesome voice. 

I like to sleep to shows about space on the Science channel. I could not possibly give less of a shit about space so it's horribly boring and they usually have great, boring monotone narrators. Morgan Freeman can put me to sleep in like three minutes. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • lyndausvi said:
    We used to fall asleep to the ID channel and never had weird dreams or anything. I loved when that channel was all facts and forensics. Now it's too dramatic with the reenactments and narration. If I'm awake in the middle of the night, I watch old reruns of Forensic Files and The New Detectives and stuff like that. 

The Unsolved Mysteries guy had a similarly awesome voice. 

I like to sleep to shows about space on the Science channel. I could not possibly give less of a shit about space so it's horribly boring and they usually have great, boring monotone narrators. Morgan Freeman can put me to sleep in like three minutes. 
    Yes! The original guy AND Dennis Farina both had great voices. They still show old re-runs of Unsolved Mysteries at like... 10am or something on some random channel. I only know this cuz I saw it a couple times when I was sick and working from home. 

I used to be obsessed with Dennis Farina cuz of that show. My friends thought I was a total spaz cuz it was my favorite. 
  • @lyndausvi This is completely off topic but whatever, I don't want to start a whole new thread. Someone was just talking about the amazing steak they had cooked with a sous vide. Does your hubby use one? Do you know anything about their awesomeness (or lack of)? I had never heard of it until today and now I'm so intruiged.

• jenna8984 said:
    @lyndausvi This is completely off topic but whatever, I don't want to start a whole new thread. Someone was just talking about the amazing steak they had cooked with a sous vide. Does your hubby use one? Do you know anything about their awesomeness (or lack of)? I had never heard of it until today and now I'm so intruiged.
    I'm not Lynda and neither me or my H are chefs but my H does a "redneck sous vide" in a cooler with hot water. He's done it with venison steaks and when they're done in the cooler, he sears them for like 30 seconds per side. SO GOOD.
  • jenna8984 said:
    @lyndausvi This is completely off topic but whatever, I don't want to start a whole new thread. Someone was just talking about the amazing steak they had cooked with a sous vide. Does your hubby use one? Do you know anything about their awesomeness (or lack of)? I had never heard of it until today and now I'm so intruiged.
    DH sous vides steaks all the time.  Especially for banquets, as it keeps a constant temperature.    Last week he sous vided them in a butter sauce.  The guests loved it.  His chef buddies who work in a steak house also sous vides steaks sometimes.

I'm not sure how he does it though. I will ask when I get a chance, but that will not be for a few days.  He is supper busy.  I've only seen him in bed the last week.  Today he went in at 5am. :(

I always fall asleep to the Food Network.  I turn it down to 10 on the volume level and leave it running until H comes to bed.  It is great because they show actual shows until about 4am, at which point they switch over to weird "buy this makeup that will make you look 50 year younger" sales things.

• Yep! FI can't sleep without the TV on (but we put it on sleep timer). Also, it's pretty nice to have it up there this time of year when it's hot af and you just want to be in bed watching TV with the AC on full blast. Also pretty nice when I'm feeling sick and want to sleep in/go to bed early. Also nice when I'm folding laundry.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm sitting here wondering what all the shows would think about us using them as sleeping aids.   :p

• I feel like I have a weird combo of it must be pitch black for me to fall asleep but also can not be dead silent. To fall asleep I play Netflix on my phone with the phone face-down- anyone else do this??
  • I feel like I have a weird combo of it must be pitch black for me to fall asleep but also can not be dead silent. To fall asleep I play Netflix on my phone with the phone face-down- anyone else do this??
    I go through periods where I wear a sleeping mask.  

DH does the "flip".   So he will be watching TV, then "boom" he does the flip with his back away from the TV. No notice or anything.  Just flips.  Then I know he is just about to fall asleep.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards