Wedding Etiquette Forum

What Etiquette rules would you love to break???

Okay, so we pretty much all realize that there are certain etiquette rules we should follow.

but what are some that you wish you could break, if there would be no ill feelings, no bad blood, no negative consequences.  what do you wish you could do??

I'm not sure which etiquette rules i could happily part ways with, probably all the ones i'm not really aware of have to learn "the hard way" haha.  or i dunno if it really falls into etiquette but maybe incorporate some NEW rule where the bride gets to wear like the world's comfiest pajamas to every pre wedding party, cuz like seriously PJ's are awesome 

Also, am i the only one not entirely sober tonight?

also again... i love wine. 

Re: What Etiquette rules would you love to break???

• Ditto @ AddieCake bc I'm ok with etiquette-it's just good manners, and I'm all about that.

I went to happy hour with a friend-wine and sushi, it was YUM.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Not inviting SOs I don't know and feeding vendors Oops, long day, I'm snarky
  • I like feeding people good food and getting them drunk. I like my friends and want them to feel treated well. If I dont care about you or you feelings I'm not inviting you to my 100% etiquette approved party.
  • banana468 said:

I would love it if we didn't invite the SOs that I didn't like. It wasn't a huge deal but I would have preferred not to have someone as my wedding guest who spoke about my bedroom habits and who tried to break up my relationship.

Does the bolded warrant an invite revocation? If someone actively tried to bring down the very union you're celebrating, I would think they are unequivocally not welcome at the wedding
  • I would love it if we didn't invite the SOs that I didn't like. It wasn't a huge deal but I would have preferred not to have someone as my wedding guest who spoke about my bedroom habits and who tried to break up my relationship.
    Does the bolded warrant an invite revocation? If someone actively tried to bring down the very union you're celebrating, I would think they are unequivocally not welcome at the wedding
    I am also curious about this. I have a similar situation with BF's SIL to the point that I dislike being around her but am civil out of respect for his family.
    Formerly known as bubbles053009

• banana468 said:

I would love it if we didn't invite the SOs that I didn't like. It wasn't a huge deal but I would have preferred not to have someone as my wedding guest who spoke about my bedroom habits and who tried to break up my relationship.

I am also curious about this. I have a similar situation with BF's SIL to the point that I dislike being around her but am civil out of respect for his family.

The person did this when I started dating DH. Fast forward a few years and she had her claws in one of DH's dearest friends. It wasn't fair to him to not invite her. The friend is one of the nicest guys I've met.

But man I'm glad thato they broke up and the dude is in a LTR with someone sane.
  • Oooh good question!

I would say B-listing- it's so rude and I would never do it because it's so offensive, but of all etiquette blunders I have the most sympathy for people who are tempted to do this. They just want to be able to celebrate with more people. To me, that's a less heinous motivation than a lot of other things.

So like, in a perfect world where people wouldn't feel lousy about being B-listed, that would be the etiquette rule I would break.
    This is mine too... There we're so many people that I wished I could have invited, but planning for 100% attendance -which we did not get) we had to limit our guest list. If I could have B-listed with no consequences...yeah, probably would have done so...
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You can un-invite anyone you want, in any situation. Just realize it is going to negatively affect or end the relationship.

I agree, etiquette rules are there for a reason. But I also agree with not having to invite an SO who you *really* dislike.
  • justsie said:

I would love to be able to flat out say "no kids" because I know too many people who think little precious should be welcome anywhere and everywhere and everyone else at the event should babysit them. Ugh.

I have a very, very dear friend I stopped inviting to parties and events because she refuses to leave her 7 year old at home and doesn't watch him once she gets to the event. I only see her now when I visit her, at her home.

I have another friend who whined on Facebook that a bar wouldn't allow her to bring her baby inside. IT'S A FUCKING BAR!!!! Jesus fucking christ, can't adults have at least a few kid free zones?

This is also mine. Allow dogs more places and kids less places. 

Meg. I think pet owners can be a few cards short of a full deck too. DH's aunt wanted to bring her purse dog to the memorial service for her mother. She had to be told that dogs aren't allowed in the church or restaurant and the funeral home would be having it out of sight. Because well, it's a dog.
  • I have a friend who has started bringing her dog everywhere, including movie theaters. I find that obnoxious.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • MobKaz said:

I've heard this is rude but I really don't want to open gifts at my hypothetical shower and TBH I probably won't. I actually find it even more rude to flaunt the gifts that were purchased by one guest in front of others. If the gift-giver wants me to open it in front of them, I would expect us to be close enough for you to say "Open it, open it!" and I would do so in a moment between just the two of us.

Also, I would want to un-invite someone who reveals themselves as being homophobic, racist, etc. I don't care if you've already received an invite, if you show your true colors after the fact and I wouldn't have invited you from the start if I knew the true you back then, then you're no longer welcome.

The premise of this thread is about getting away with breaking etiquette rules IF "there would be no
    ill feelings, no bad blood, no negative consequences".  I hope you aren't serious about inviting guests to a specific gift giving event and then not actually opening any of the gifts.  This is, after all, the etiquette board, and to suggest you would do this,  while acknowledging its' rudeness, is wrong.  Decline the shower if that is how you feel and how you plan to treat your guests.

------------------------

The bolded statement is kinda dramatic. Do you really consider the act of not opening all the presents with everyone sitting around staring at you to be a terribly rude thing to do such that it's "treating" people poorly?

At one shower I attended, I was a broke college student, but it was for a good friend and I didn't want to miss it. Having her hold up my measly little gift card, when everybody else had purchased things off her registry, was incredibly embarassing. When you hear a group of people go "ooh!" to the physical gifts and crickets to your own, it's very awkward. Plus, with a registry, everybody can tell how much each gift cost and therefore you are kinda putting on display what each person spent. That, I think, is more rude to guests.

Maybe I will just decline a shower if one is offered because I really can't bring myself to get comfortable with the idea of sitting at the front/center of a room surrounded by people watching me open presents. It seems like something that shouldn't be done beyond a 10th birthday party.
  • Bringing (non-service) dogs everywhere with you can be really obnoxious. Sure, children can be annoying if parents aren't watching them appropriately, but there are people with allergies and legitimate phobias of dogs. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We're breaking the seating rule for divorced parents. 

For the life of me (and FI) we cannot understand how it is proper etiquette to relegate one parent to sit in third row, or to ask two, divorced parents to sit together sans spouses.

• We're breaking the seating rule for divorced parents. 

For the life of me (and FI) we cannot understand how it is proper etiquette to relegate one parent to sit in third row, or to ask two, divorced parents to sit together sans spouses.

I don't think that's an etiquette rule.

• Viczaesar said:
    We're breaking the seating rule for divorced parents. 

FMIL kept saying "traditionally, the father sits in the third row.  I didn't believe her and then I found this:  https://www.theknot.com/content/wedding-planning-with-divorced-parents
  • Viczaesar said:
    We're breaking the seating rule for divorced parents. 

FMIL kept saying "traditionally, the father sits in the third row.  I didn't believe her and then I found this:  https://www.theknot.com/content/wedding-planning-with-divorced-parents
    Tradition and etiquette are two very different things.  The Knot's articles are also usually full of shit.

• Viczaesar  Good because I think it's so rude LOL.  Is Emily Post a bad etiquette guide then too? (serious question because that was the other source I found when researching this).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards