Wedding Woes

Recent Death in the Family and Wedding Planning Etiquette

Hi, all. I'm relatively new to this site, and this is my first post. I could really use some advice. My MIL's cancer returned this summer, so instead of waiting for our big wedding/reception date in mid-May 2016, we had a civil ceremony at the end of July. We wanted to be sure she would see us married, and we actually had my wife's parents stand up with us (my parents are both deceased, and her Mom said it was one of her proudest moments). 

Unfortunately, her health deteriorated rapidly after that, and we spent all the time we could after that wrapped up in helping care for her and making as many memories as possible. She passed away mid-December (and a friend's husband passed away just before that, more quickly than anticipated). We discussed it, and though neither of us is very enthusiastic about it anymore (for obvious reasons), we know she would want us to continue with our plans for our big wedding and reception in May, and to also use it as a chance to see family neither of us has been able to see for a very long time. We wil
l do what we can to honor her that day, and will use her decorating ideas to help us feel her presence with us on what is sure to be a very bittersweet day. 

But on to the practicalities, as she would have said. W
e are now very behind in our wedding planning, and we never mailed out any Save-the-Dates. The majority of our families/wedding guest live in other states, and need time to plan their trips, if they indeed can come. So when do we send our invitations (or do we still send Save-the-Dates, but asap?)? And how do we word them when it feels a little crass and self-centered to be talking about celebrating anything yet. (It's only been a month since we lost her, but the wedding is now just 4 months out.) Help, suggestions, please. (Positive or helpful comments only, please. Haters need not reply.)

Re: Recent Death in the Family and Wedding Planning Etiquette

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    I am so sorry for your loss.  You did the right thing and made your MIL happy.

Now, you need to understand that you are a married couple, and you cannot have another wedding.  I would suggest that you plan an anniversary party, instead.  Invite all your friends and family that you would have invited to your wedding, and have a wonderful time.  No wedding dress.  No vows. No cake cutting ceremony.  No bridesmaids.  Buy a lovely dress and have a great anniversary celebration.  Hire the DJ and dance the night away.  You can drink champagne, and toast to your first year of marriage.

Congratulations on your marriage!

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the wedding anniversary celebration
    of
    Mr. and Mrs. John Jones
    (or, Ms. Jane Jones and Ms. Sue Smith)

Date
    Time
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

If you haven't sent out marriage announcements yet, you really should do this ASAP.  Here is the correct wording:

Bride's Maiden Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    announce their marriage
    Date of ceremony
    City, State

No other information is proper.  Mail these to all of your friends and family to officially announce that you are married.  This does not mean that people should send you gifts, though some might.  You will probably get a lot of nice cards of congratulations.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Wow. Obviously this isn't the correct forum, particularly when people on here don't understand the word "positive". Before you post your comment, you may want to read what you wrote. Thank you for the sympathy, but do you really think saying "don't bastardize that by staging a fake recreation" is either kind, or appropriate? You have the right to your opinion. I have the right to try to honor my MIL's request that we go on with our plans. That includes being (re-)married by a member of the clergy rather than a judge, as was the case with our quick "civil ceremony". If you don't like that idea, you don't have to do it that way. As for my wife and I, we will move along to a more open and understanding site, with kinder and more appropriate members. Thanks anyway, and God bless. 
    edited January 2016
    Wow. Obviously this isn't the correct forum, particularly when people on here don't understand the word "positive". Before you post your comment, you may want to read what you wrote. Thank you for the sympathy, but do you really think saying "don't bastardize that by staging a fake recreation" is either kind, or appropriate? You have the right to your opinion. I have the right to try to honor my MIL's request that we go on with our plans. That includes being (re-)married by a member of the clergy rather than a judge, as was the case with our quick "civil ceremony". If you don't like that idea, you don't have to do it that way. As for my wife and I, we will move along to a more open and understanding site, with kinder and more appropriate members. Thanks anyway, and God bless. 
    People here were very kind to you.   They were also honest.

You cannot get married again.  It is impossible, unless you are divorced or widowed.  You made this decision (correctly, IMHO) when you decided to get married so that your FMIL could be there to see it.  This was your wedding.  You get ONE.

What you are planning is known as a PPD - Pretty Princess Day.  It is a fake wedding that has no legal meaning.  It is like little girls playing dress up bride and pretending to get married.  I think this dishonors your previous wedding.

Many, many brides are married in a simple civil ceremony like you had.  Many members of my family chose this.  These brides all cherish their wedding day.  For you to decide that a legal marriage just isn't good enough is very insulting.
    I know that you didn't mean to offend people, but you just did with this post.  If you are going to go ahead with your PPD, please be honest with all of your guests and let them know that you are already married, and this this is just a show, not a legal wedding.  People will find out, and if you aren't honest with them, they will be very angry.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • First, and foremost, if I knew how, I would retract my post. Period. Let me explain something to all of you: this is America, and still a democracy. So advice is yours to give, and mine to IGNORE. Which I fully intend to, since, as I stated before, I am fulfilling my DYING MIL's REQUEST!! So I will honor her request. And you all may want to learn to read: when someone asks how to do something, they are NOT asking you IF they should, or how NOT to. Also, I requested positive and helpful comments only. i.e. If you don't have anything nice to say...  I am cancelling my membership to this site, so you can all rest easy, and go about your own business. I'm terribly sorry to have shared mine with you. Good bye. 
  • First, and foremost, if I knew how, I would retract my post. Period. Let me explain something to all of you: this is America, and still a democracy. So advice is yours to give, and mine to IGNORE. Which I fully intend to, since, as I stated before, I am fulfilling my DYING MIL's REQUEST!! So I will honor her request. And you all may want to learn to read: when someone asks how to do something, they are NOT asking you IF they should, or how NOT to. Also, I requested positive and helpful comments only. i.e. If you don't have anything nice to say...  I am cancelling my membership to this site, so you can all rest easy, and go about your own business. I'm terribly sorry to have shared mine with you. Good bye. 
    My advice to you was simple:  honor and cherish your MIL by not recreating one of the last special moments you shared with her.  However, if you choose to do so, this probably is not the forum for you.  May I suggest Wedding Bee?
    This is also a wedding forum.  Wedding advice will be given.  As this is a wedding forum in America, our liberty of free speech means we can comment in any way we choose.  It doesn't mean we're "haters".  Once a post is quoted, it cannot be deleted or retracted. 

In your original post, you said, "we know she would want us to continue with our plans for our big wedding and reception."  You did not state that it was her dying request. 

You can absolutely continue with plans for a celebration of your recent marriage.  However, your wedding, whether big or private, has already occurred.
    edited January 2016
    A wedding is when a couple changes their legal state from being two single people to a married couple.  You have done this and you cannot do it again.  It is legally impossible in the USA.

Whatever you are planning will not be a wedding.  It cannot be a wedding.  It will be a PPD.

The rules do not change for anyone because of special circumstances.  Do you honestly think that you are the first person who has faced this situation?  Lots of brides have had the same situation, and they were mature enough to accept the consequences of their decision.

We tried to help you.  You insist that your situation is SPESHUL, so the rules and laws do not apply to you.  Just go away.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I assume that you could title it as a "vow renewal" on the invitation and save the dates, if you want to have a ceremony. Have you thought about just having a big reception without the ceremony?

• Wouldn't the act of being a democracy further cement the concept that lying to guests is bad??

Daddy swore an oath

we're not going to validate your idiocy. the very first response was 100% on point with what you can expect here (if not nicer than most). 
  • I thought we were a democratic republic?

Except here on the knut, where we have benevolent knotgod dictators.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Even dying parental requests sometimes need to be disregarded when they are requests for something inappropriate.

It's inappropriate for you to reenact your "wedding" simply because it was a civil ceremony that took place so that your MIL could be present.

That she has since passed away or expressed a wish that you continue with the plans you cancelled doesn't make what you want to do appropriate.

You're married now. Unless you get divorced and remarried, that ceremony in which you married your wife was your "wedding."
  • Honest etiquette question as I peruse this thread: what if you have a civil ceremony, but your religion does not recognize it as a valid marriage? I'm not saying that anybody is entitled to a PPD, but I am curious as to how a couple might resolve a situation where their legal marriage may not equal "true marriage" in the eyes of their religion. I am Catholic, and know that a convalidation ceremony might occur in such an instance. But I am not sure if such an equivalent exists for all faiths and I would imagine that several other religions, especially very dogmatic ones, may have strict beliefs about what constitutes a valid marriage. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Honest etiquette question as I peruse this thread: what if you have a civil ceremony, but your religion does not recognize it as a valid marriage? I'm not saying that anybody is entitled to a PPD, but I am curious as to how a couple might resolve a situation where their legal marriage may not equal "true marriage" in the eyes of their religion. I am Catholic, and know that a convalidation ceremony might occur in such an instance. But I am not sure if such an equivalent exists for all faiths and I would imagine that several other religions, especially very dogmatic ones, may have strict beliefs about what constitutes a valid marriage. 
    Whichever ceremony occurs first is recognized as the "wedding" and the "marriage." If any guests are invited, then they must be hosted immediately afterwards, and that constitutes the "reception."  If the civil ceremony comes first, then that's the "wedding" and the "marriage." Anything that follows is a "celebration," including convalidations and other religious rituals and parties. 

But having had a legal ceremony, it is rude (and depending on the circumstances, fradulent) to claim not to be "married" while simultaneously claiming legal and other benefits offered to those who are "married" because you underwent that legal ceremony.
  • tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    Jen4948 said:

Honest etiquette question as I peruse this thread: what if you have a civil ceremony, but your religion does not recognize it as a valid marriage? I'm not saying that anybody is entitled to a PPD, but I am curious as to how a couple might resolve a situation where their legal marriage may not equal "true marriage" in the eyes of their religion. I am Catholic, and know that a convalidation ceremony might occur in such an instance. But I am not sure if such an equivalent exists for all faiths and I would imagine that several other religions, especially very dogmatic ones, may have strict beliefs about what constitutes a valid marriage. 

Whichever ceremony occurs first is recognized as the "wedding" and the "marriage." If any guests are invited, then they must be hosted immediately afterwards, and that constitutes the "reception."  If the civil ceremony comes first, then that's the "wedding" and the "marriage." Anything that follows is a "celebration," including convalidations and other religious rituals and parties. 

But having had a legal ceremony, it is rude (and depending on the circumstances, fradulent) to claim not to be "married" while simultaneously claiming legal and other benefits offered to those who are "married" because you underwent that legal ceremony.

I understand and didn't mean to imply any slight towards civil weddings. Several of my best friends were married by Justice of the Peace or non-religious friends who applied for minister licenses. Those couples are definitely married in my mind and I would be offended on their behalf if they were treated otherwise. Just honestly curious since I could see this as a common rationale for PPDs, and some of those people may just be confused on how to manage the situation.

• Honest etiquette question as I peruse this thread: what if you have a civil ceremony, but your religion does not recognize it as a valid marriage? I'm not saying that anybody is entitled to a PPD, but I am curious as to how a couple might resolve a situation where their legal marriage may not equal "true marriage" in the eyes of their religion. I am Catholic, and know that a convalidation ceremony might occur in such an instance. But I am not sure if such an equivalent exists for all faiths and I would imagine that several other religions, especially very dogmatic ones, may have strict beliefs about what constitutes a valid marriage. 

* * * * * I understand and didn't mean to imply any slight towards civil weddings. Several of my best friends were married by Justice of the Peace or non-religious friends who applied for minister licenses. Those couples are definitely married in my mind and I would be offended on their behalf if they were treated otherwise. Just honestly curious since I could see this as a common rationale for PPDs, and some of those people may just be confused on how to manage the situation.
    You're absolutely correct that this is a common rationale for PPDs.  
  • banana468 said:
    FWIW, my understanding is that unless there are very serious reasons for doing so, the Catholic Church isn't a big fan of a civil ceremony followed by the Sacramental one.    And *if* a couple is doing this, it's not supposed to be the big hoo ha but should generally be a bit more subdued.  That doesn't mean that a couple can't celebrate having the Convalidation but it's not an occasion for BMs and GM.

Yep. Some diocese don't even allow a priest to do a Rite of Marriage if it's not going to be the legal ceremony - since we have laws of the land pertaining to marriage, and Catholics are supposed to abide by the law as long as it's not unjust, they don't let you become legally married and then sacramentally married and claim that one or the other wasn't "real." They consider the legal one very real, and the couple then needs a convalidation, which may be tough convincing.

I do know of a poster (Bostonian, I think) who did get a dispensation to split the two. But you have to do that. I'm sure people don't want to show up to their planned church wedding to discover that the priest can't perform the rite because there isn't a marriage license for him to sign.
  • tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    @banana468, this was my understanding, also. Going through a situation like this right now with FBIL (posted about on DW board). Civil marriage in the States to help with paperwork, but they are treating it as an engagement, and only a select group of family knows they are married. They're planning a destination church wedding in his FI's home country. It is kind of a mess, and both my FI and I feel they ought to just come out and announce they are married. As @Jen4948 noted, they are being rather rude in denying this fact. I could argue it with them, but I feel this would create more strain with future ILs than it's worth. 

• Oh man. @flantastic, I do not know what her country's laws are, but this could get interesting (as in "dramatic" interesting). Maybe I should say something to them?

• Oh man. @flantastic, I do not know what her country's laws are, but this could get interesting (as in "dramatic" interesting). Maybe I should say something to them?
    Maybe. There definitely are countries, like France, which mandate the two separate ceremonies and so the Church does that in those areas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards