Wedding Etiquette Forum

Refusing a Plus 1?

lisakae44lisakae44 member
First Comment First Anniversary
edited March 2016 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Hi ladies! 

Congrats to all you beautiful brides and brides-to-be! I'm marrying the man of my dreams in late April 2016, and could NOT be happier! That said, I've run into a snag with a wedding guest, and I need some advice. Here's the scoop:

Just before I mailed the invitations, one of my Bridesmaids sent me a screen shot of a facebook message from one of our mutual college friends. She was a good friend in college. The friend in question (let's call her Jane) asking if she knew anything about the size of the guest list, and said she was bummed she didn't get an invite. I have not seen or really spoken to Jane in about 3 years. Also, she lives across the country.

My maid, trying to soothe any hurt feelings, told Jane that the wedding was on the smaller side and that invited had not yet gone out. Maid also let me know what was going on so I could make a decision on inviting Jane. Jane made a snarky comment that it was "kinda last minute for invites" even though at this point it was approx 90 days out. 

A few days later Jane then facebooks me, the bride, directly with this message:

" I don't know if this is bad form, but I was wondering if I'm getting an invite to your wedding. I'm already planning to visit GA this spring, and I'm wondering if I need to make it around that time."

After speaking to my fiance about it, and telling him that I felt like she was guilting me a little he told me to just invite her so I wouldn't feel bad about it. I responded to her letting her know invites hadn't been mailed, and that we had planned to keep things small, but would love to have her and asked fro her address. I addressed the invite to her and her alone (Ms. Jane Doe). I just got it her RSVP back and she has written in a plus one. She is not in a relationship, and did not indicate who her guest will be.

At this point I feel taken advantage of. I feel badly for not standing up and explaining that she would not be invited as we are trying to keep it small due to budget. I also feel like I don't want a total stranger that's a tag along of someone I haven't spoken to in years. Am I totally in the wrong for feeling like she's not only invited herself, but a stranger? Would it be rude to explain to her, nicely, that we did not extend a plus one for her and to please attend solo? She will know others there so she doesn't need a plus one to keep her company. How do I handle this, and what should I say?

Re: Refusing a Plus 1?

• Oh man. Sorry you're in this situation. You shouldn't have felt bad for not inviting her and you shouldn't have sent her an invite, but that ship sailed. 

Do you know for sure she's not in a relationship? Absolutely for sure, considering you haven't spoken in ages? Not everyone updates their FB profiles with that info. But assuming she's not, the advice on uninvited plus-ones is always to say you cannot accommodate the additional guest and clarify the invitation was meant for them and them alone. 

• I do know for sure about her relationship as she has commented on various social media about being single, and discusses it with my Bmaid frequently. Perhaps something has changed in the last few weeks, but I would not extend a +1 to that new of a significant other anyway. Our rule is long term SO/Fiance/Partner invited.

• lisakae44lisakae44 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2016
    Actually the etiquette is to invite those with SO as you wish, as long as everyone is given the same rule. Don't invite one person's two week BF and not another's. Never exclude spouses or fiances/fiancees.
  • Perhaps "serious relationship" was not the right phrase. The point being, we are not inviting SO's of under a year, or that we've never met. Though in this case, it's not actually an issue.
  • The people I love are not the girl my buddy picked up at a bar last week. But, thanks for your help on my ACTUAL question.
  • Also, that doesn't actually apply to any of my other guests and 90% are married and the others are totally single.
  • If a guest in engaged after 4 months, then I would invite the fiance. If they "didn't say I love you for years" that would denote they have been together longer than a year and would also be invited, FYI.
  • lisakae44 said:
    Also, that doesn't actually apply to any of my other guests and 90% are married and the others are totally single.

Then why did you mention having a specific guideline if you used it zero times? But that's good news. Ask the girl if this is her SO and if she says yes and you invite them, no other guest will be mad since none had their SOs excluded, right?
  • Your BM really shouldn't have answered for you, but whatever. That part is done now.

It was rude of her to basically invite herself and then invite another person. Just tell her you're keeping it small and can't accommodate a plus 1. She can then make the call as to whether she still wants to come.

• OP - A story ... I attended a wedding ~6 years ago. My SO wasn't invited as we had not been going out for more than a year (bride's explanation of why he wasn't invited). We are now engaged to be married. You will never know how a relationship might work, so if someone is in any relationship, the SO needs to be invited. I'm still raw about the whole thing as everyone else had their SO and I was the odd one out. Funny thing is ... I'm the only one who has stayed with their SO from that time! Everyone else is with different people.

For the true plus one that was added to the invite, I would dig a bit deeper and find out her relationship status. If she is with someone, they get an invite. If it is a true plus one situation ... you can make the call to allow that to happen or let her know that her plus one cannot be accommodated. Be prepared though for her to enter into a relationship, in which case, the SO would need to be invited.

• You have to invite ALL SO's, regardless of length of time they are together.  If a couple considers themselves to be in a relationship, then you must invite them together.  You don't get to make up arbitrary rules dictating what constitutes a relationship.  

• edited March 2016
    lisakae44 said:
    Perhaps "serious relationship" was not the right phrase. The point being, we are not inviting SO's of under a year, or that we've never met. Though in this case, it's not actually an issue.
    My husband and I were married 11 months after we met .... so would he have made the cut? 

ETA:  He and I dated for 3 months.   I was invited to a wedding shortly after we started dating.  I asked the bride if I could bring him, and she said yes.  It turned out that her wedding was 2 weeks after our engagement.   Had she said no based on the fact that we had just met, it would've been super awkward.   And I saw her several times over the next few years ... all with my husband. 
  • edited March 2016
    Jane was rude to write in a plus one.  You do not have to extend a guest to truly single guests, although if you are able, it is a nice gesture.  That said, Jane sounds like a little bit of a jerk; talking to one of your bms about the invite situation, then contacting you to secure an invite to the wedding, and then adding a guest for herself.  Let her know that you are unable to accommodate a plus 1. You mention all other single guests not having a plus one, so it's not like she is being excluded in anyway.  She can decide what she wants to do from there.

PPs have it covered.  And I know you've mention in posts this doesn't apply to anyone in your guest list. But, just to get it out there for others. SOs, who have been around for any length of time are invited guests.  My SO and I don't live anywhere near my close friends so they have never met, despite him being around for just under a year.  We've always been very serious and are currently making wedding plans.  I usually find it a little hurtful whenever I read that brides have not invited the SOs they've never met.  And I want to ask the bride, "What are the circumstances as to why you haven't met?  Have you ever made an effort to meet your good friend's SO?"  Sorry, rant over.
  • Uuughhh here we go with this again.  OP:  you can do what you want.  If you don't want to invite someone's SO, then don't.  WHO IS PAYING FOR THE WEDDING?  You or them?  This is exactly how people end up in weddings they cannot afford and the ONLY person left feeling like sh*t is guess who?  YOU and your husband when it's time to look at your drained bank account.

I'm actually surprised you gave in and sent an invite to someone who you haven't seen in 3 years.  I'm a bit of a tough cookie so my response would have been something like this: "I was hesitant on inviting you to begin with because we haven't been in touch for 3 years.  You bothered one of my bridesmaids about whether or not you were getting an invite which put her in an uncomfortable situation and I'm NOT cool with that.  Now you want to take advantage of me extending an invite to you on MY special day by telling me you're bringing a guest?  You now have a choice:  come alone or don't come at all."

Let me tell you something, I'll knock down a guest list real quick!  No one is going to have me and my FH arguing over finances the day after our wedding because people were there we didn't really want to be there to begin with!  Remember:  this person is going to be in wedding photos!  Do you REALLY want to see her face in them for all of eternity?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards