Chit Chat

Who or what are you side-eyeing?

Re: Who or what are you side-eyeing?

• I'm side-eyeing my mom who likes to start ignorant arguments on facebook over politics..my friend who constantly talks about her after work activities and NOTHING else, and lastly my previous manager (thank god!) who thinks the world revolves around her (although she's no longer my manager, I still have to see her everyday). 
  • A friend who sent a mass email as a thank you for her baby shower gifts. A week late. 
  • I'm side-eyeing the NC legislature and Governor today.
    100% THIS. Seriously WTF.
    Seriously ashamed to live here today. 
    I had to google this but I third you.  
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm side-eyeing the NC legislature and Governor today.
    I had to google, too. This is so, so sad.
  • lc07 said:
    To save everyone some googling; Charlotte passed a law allowing people to use the restroom of the gender they identified with that was scheduled to take effect on April 1. The General Assembly held a special session (usually reserved for emergencies) to vote on a law essentially prohibiting local governments from setting their own policies. Meaning the Charlotte law will be overturned, along with preventing cities and counties from setting their own policies such as setting their own minimum wage. The Governor signed it in to law last night.

The most common reason lawmakers cited for needing to pass this and for the urgency of the session, was to protect women and children.
  • I'm usually side-eyeing most people on the facebook. Especially the previously mentioned over-hashtaggers and the posts about nothing (like a picture of an egg and toast and #healthy #breakfast #healthybreakfast #toast #eggs #toastandeggs #toast&eggs #goodstart #imahugetool or the "I'm thinking of trying hot yoga" posts). I side-eye the people who think facebook is google.

I was out sick the last two days and today I side-eye the rest of my office for fucking everything up. It's easier for me to do everything late than it is to fix everything they don't know how to do but do anyway.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • lc07 said:
    To save everyone some googling; Charlotte passed a law allowing people to use the restroom of the gender they identified with that was scheduled to take effect on April 1. The General Assembly held a special session (usually reserved for emergencies) to vote on a law essentially prohibiting local governments from setting their own policies. Meaning the Charlotte law will be overturned, along with preventing cities and counties from setting their own policies such as setting their own minimum wage. The Governor signed it in to law last night.

The most common reason lawmakers cited for needing to pass this and for the urgency of the session, was to protect women and children.
    This argument always gets to me... Do these lawmakers really believe that there are a bunch of men out there pretending to be transgender just so they can prey on people in women's restrooms? Do they realize how inane that sounds? It's a thinly-veiled excuse for bigotry.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lc07 said:

This argument always gets to me... Do these lawmakers really believe that there are a bunch of men out there pretending to be transgender just so they can prey on people in women's restrooms? Do they realize how inane that sounds? It's a thinly-veiled excuse for bigotry.
    Definitely not a great day to live in NC.  The terrible politicking and the fear-mongering were so disappointing, and it was especially disheartening to hear the genuinely scared-sounding young girl the news kept quoting this morning; she's been given misinformation and taught to fear something without a basis in fact. 

Add in all the extra "little" provisos about who gets to set minimum wage or decide what the protected classes are and I'm done with this crop of elected officials.  My voting choices in our state's general election just got a whole bunch easier.
    Anniversary

• I'm usually side-eyeing most people on the facebook. Especially the previously mentioned over-hashtaggers and the posts about nothing (like a picture of an egg and toast and #healthy #breakfast #healthybreakfast #toast #eggs #toastandeggs #toast&eggs #goodstart #imahugetool or the "I'm thinking of trying hot yoga" posts). I side-eye the people who think facebook is google.

Hahaha.

But, honestly curious, for the people who are sick of Facebook hashtagging-- are people putting the tags directly into FB or are they posting that on Instagram first and having Insta "push" it through to their FB?

I never use hashtags on FB but definitely use them on Insta. I push very few pics through to FB so my hashtag usage would be minimal. 

I actually use to loathe hashtags until I started using them to find similar pictures (and yeah, I love photography in general). I love finding other stuff that I like, such as places to travel, art, wine, whatever. 

Now I'm curious to see if "imahugetool" pulls up anything, hahahaha. It probably does. 

Hahaha.

But, honestly curious, for the people who are sick of Facebook hashtagging-- are people putting the tags directly into FB or are they posting that on Instagram first and having Insta "push" it through to their FB?

I never use hashtags on FB but definitely use them on Insta. I push very few pics through to FB so my hashtag usage would be minimal. 

I actually use to loathe hashtags until I started using them to find similar pictures (and yeah, I love photography in general). I love finding other stuff that I like, such as places to travel, art, wine, whatever. 

Now I'm curious to see if "imahugetool" pulls up anything, hahahaha. It probably does. 
    You can hashtag on FB and it will pull up all posts with the same hashtag.  I appreciate hashtags that are used appropriately and since I do a lot of social media for work I find them very useful.  That being said, they can sometimes be really stupid and annoying.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Hahaha.

My sister hashtags EVERYTHING directly on FB, and it drives me nuts. She does what @ShesSoCold did above - like, 20 hashtags on one photo of her glass of wine. 

She also uses FB like Google - a few weeks ago, she asked her FB friends whether she should go back to the dentist after a tooth extraction because she was in pain and wondered if she had dry socket. Luckily, the resounding answer from many people, including me, was "You know, you should probably ask your DENTIST about this instead of Facebook."

That shit drives me nuts.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • SP29SP29 member
    edited March 2016

I'm usually side-eyeing most people on the facebook. Especially the previously mentioned over-hashtaggers and the posts about nothing (like a picture of an egg and toast and #healthy #breakfast #healthybreakfast #toast #eggs #toastandeggs #toast&eggs #goodstart #imahugetool or the "I'm thinking of trying hot yoga" posts). I side-eye the people who think facebook is google.

Hahaha.

Both.

If one is using the hashtags to actually follow something, or as part of advertising (the nail art mentioned above)- great! But I feel like people have started to put a hashtag on everything with every word they can think of because it's "cool".

There are some repeat offenders who are worse than others. #healthy#food#mydinnerisbetterthanyours#gettingfitforsummer#yummy

They're so long it doesn't make sense.

Looking up #imahugetool sounds like something NSFW ;)
  • YES to the hashtag thing! There is a girl I used to work with that goes hashtag crazy on both instagram and facebook and they are always so dumb. One of the ones I side eyed and laughed at the most was pictures of the flowers her boyfriend gave her for valentine's day and the hashtags were like: #boyfraaaaaan #valentinesday #valentines #vday #hesthebest #werethebest #roses #pedalz4dayz (giiiiirl, that's not how you spell petals!)
  • banana468 said:
    I don't get it either.  People who molest children aren't hanging out in bathrooms.   It may happen but let's not lump everyone into this group.  

It's fear based.   Instead of doing reasearch, we opt for knee-jerk thinking.   My guess is that more transgender people are feeling very helpless.  
    And it's not like the law would keep people from getting attacked in bathrooms. Ladies have gotten attacked by men in bathrooms even though it's against the law for them to be there. Ugh. We had this bill in MN this week too and it makes me so stabby.

I don't understand why the general attitude isn't "if someone is ogling or harassing in a bathroom/locker room/other naked place we ask them to leave".

My other silly thought was whether this law would also make it illegal for a mother to take her small son into the ladies bathroom.
  • I am side eyeing my employer today. We are all  slowly but surely finding out how much we have been manipulated by the bank that bought us out. Time to start job hunting. 

• I'm side-eyeing my coworker who asked for my "help" planning her wedding, but is planning a Friday wedding in the middle of nowhere with a honeyfund. (Friday wedding doesn't inherently bother me...but she also said "the people who truly care about me will come").

PS...I'm not in your wedding party, and I'm not even sure I'm invited. If you want my help...you pay me for it. And if you insist on having a honeyfund, I will say no.

• banana468 said:
    I'm side-eyeing my coworker who asked for my "help" planning her wedding, but is planning a Friday wedding in the middle of nowhere with a honeyfund. (Friday wedding doesn't inherently bother me...but she also said "the people who truly care about me will come").

PS...I'm not in your wedding party, and I'm not even sure I'm invited. If you want my help...you pay me for it. And if you insist on having a honeyfund, I will say no.
    I'd snap at that horrible comment.  "That's a really loaded statement.   What about those who just can't take the time off or who have other commitments?  They could turn around and say that if you really loved them you would have checked with them before picking your date, time and location."
    SUCH a good way to phrase it. I'm stealing it.

Again, totally cool with your Friday wedding (well, not entirely, because I probably can't make it, but theoretically cool)...but you have to understand that if you HAVE a Friday wedding, people are going to have to bow out. Argh.

• SP29SP29 member
    banana468 said:
    Anytime I hear the phrase, "If you really loved me then...." I find myself twitching.

*Funny* (cause you know, not really) how this statement used in other contexts is abusive and manipulation, but used in the case of a wedding or friendship, is an expectation.
  • I'm side-eyeing the wedding invite we got that addresses to " FI's name & Guest". We've been together 4 years, are getting married this year, own a home together, and I've met the couple more times than I can count. SERIOUSLY?!

Also side-eyeing their registry information included ON the invite itself.
  • An old friend that I went to high school with is having a housewarming party. Her and her husband have been married for 4 years. They bought a house shortly after the wedding and had a housewarming party. They separated about 6 months later for almost a year and and have been back together for just a little over a year now off and on. They recently bought another house together and posted on Facebook asking who would like to come to their housewarming party and to PM addresses. (I did not send my address or express interest in going) My cousin got an invitation and they REGISTERED at 3 different places!!

We just bought a house and this makes me not want to have a housewarming party because people may think we are expecting gifts!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards