Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

OT question about Catholic communion

13»

Re: OT question about Catholic communion

• Options
    So here's a question, and I'm just genuinely curious based on this discussion:

If you have a Protestant friend or family member and they attend a Catholic mass with you, would you be offended if they took communion since they don't believe in transubstantiation?

If you attended a Protestant or Lutheran mass would you take communion, or is that offensive to them?
    FWIW, if I had a friend who was a Christian but not Catholic I'd explain that they aren't supposed to take Communion.   Sometimes they just don't know.

If a friend knew and did it anyway then at minimum I'd consider it to be arrogant and disrespectful. 
  • Options
    As a Protestant I've always assumed taking Communion in a Catholic mass would be offensive, so I don't. 

My church has a more expansive definition of Communion so it wouldn't be at all offensive to me or to my church if a Catholic took communion with us. 
  • Options
    I agree with @STARMOON44. I don't take communion when I attend a Catholic service. My Lutheran church welcomes all believers(Christian) to take communion. I think Catholics aren't suppose to take communion at other churches so the decision is on them.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    About my post, brother-in-law could have just kept his big mouth shut.  He didn't need to read that Bible.  Or he could have simply said "Thank you," and let it be.  A wedding reception is not the proper place to start a religious debate.  The greedy SOB was probably hoping for money instead.
    My sister is not an atheist.  She is not a  committed Christian, either, but she knows that Grandma was wishing her well by giving her the Bible.  Currently, I believe she hold basic Christian beliefs, but doesn't attend church or hold a church membership.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    So here's a question, and I'm just genuinely curious based on this discussion:

If you have a Protestant friend or family member and they attend a Catholic mass with you, would you be offended if they took communion since they don't believe in transubstantiation?

If you attended a Protestant or Lutheran mass would you take communion, or is that offensive to them?
    I am confused by your post.  Whom are you addressing?
    Catholics are forbidden to take communion at any church that does not recognize trans-substantiation.  It is a big no-no.
    Different Protestant churches have different beliefs.  Some welcome all Christians to take communion, but others require membership in that specific church or denomination.

I have attended many services with people of non-Christian faiths.  I stand or sit as the others do, and remove my shoes if appropriate.  I would not enter a temple if my clothing were objectionable, (shorts and sleeveless tops) and I cover my head when it is customary.   However, I do not join in group prayers.  I remain politely and respectfully silent.
    When I was in the temple of the Jade Buddha in Bangkok, I prayed silently, but to the God of my own faith.  I disturbed no one, and I appreciated the reverence of the Buddhist faith.  On my latest trip to France, I said silent prayers in many different Catholic churches.  Of course, I wouldn't take communion because that would be offensive to the local Catholic parishioners.  (OT, but in France, only 3% of Catholics attend mass regularly.)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards