Chit Chat
Options

Annoyances

So my niece just went off to college.   We wanted to send her a visa GC.  Because, well we have all been the broke college kid and I thought it would be a nice gift.

So I text my niece to ask for her address.

Her response:    Ask mom.  I have no idea.

In my head I'm thinking,  Umm... you are an 18 year old college student living 16 hours away from your mom.  This should not be a difficult question.        

I don't want to ask my sister for the address.  An 18 year should be able to provide me the answer instead of telling me to contact her mom. 

I almost want to send her a text back that if she wants a gift she will provide me the address.      

My sister and I text all the time.  So it's not a big deal to ask her.  IDK,   I just think she should know how to provide me the information without going through my sister/her mom.

Maybe I'm the one who is being unreasonable? I am feeling a little bitchy this morning.  IDK, it just really annoyed me she passed the buck.  

What is your annoyances rational or irrational?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Annoyances

• Options
    How do you not know that?  "dear niece, step outside.  What's the number on the building?  look down the street.  Do you see a street sign?  What does it say?"

Mine:  I have to write an article for school which involved submitting 2 recorded interviews.  10-15 minutes in length.  Topic "What has the smartphone replaced/will replace?".  I can't even find one person to interview 10 minutes with on that topic, let alone 2.  arrrrgh.

• Options
    How in the hell are you 18 and not know your own damn address?! 

She would have had to input her address on her college applications, financial aid applications, etc.  Or did her parents fill all that shit out for her?

And how does she not know her address on campus?  FFS.

"Morning People" on the bus annoy me- the ones who have to squawk loudly at 8am while the rest of us are silently trying to take a nap, read, etc.  If you can't talk quietly then please just STFU.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    How do you not know that?  "dear niece, step outside.  What's the number on the building?  look down the street.  Do you see a street sign?  What does it say?"

Mine:  I have to write an article for school which involved submitting 2 recorded interviews.  10-15 minutes in length.  Topic "What has the smartphone replaced/will replace?".  I can't even find one person to interview 10 minutes with on that topic, let alone 2.  arrrrgh.
    lyndausvi said:
    So my niece just went off to college.   We wanted to send her a visa GC.  Because, well we have all been the broke college kid and I thought it would be a nice gift.

In my head I'm thinking,  Umm... you are an 18 year old college student living 16 hours away from your mom.  This should not be a difficult question.        

I don't want to ask my sister for the address.  An 18 year should be able to provide me the answer instead of telling me to contact her mom. 

I almost want to send her a text back that if she wants a gift she will provide me the address.      

My sister and I text all the time.  So it's not a big deal to ask her.  IDK,   I just think she should know how to provide me the information without going through my sister/her mom.

Maybe I'm the one who is being unreasonable? I am feeling a little bitchy this morning.  IDK, it just really annoyed me she passed the buck.  

You are being unreasonable. She JUST left. When I lived in the dorms the first year of college my address was VERY specific and not the address I lived in since it had to go to the mail room at the university and be labelled a certain way to get to me. The bold is not accurate for dorm living. Her mailing address is not her living address and she just settled in and is likely overwhelmed with information. She's been on her own for 5 minutes, you can't cut her a little slack just because she's 18?
  • Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    When DH plays devil's advocate and takes a stance I vehemently oppose... like last night, when I mentioned the story the Chicago Tribune ran about Corey Cogdell-Unrien.  "They were trying to make it a local piece."

THERE ARE SO MANY BETTER WAYS TO WRITE THAT ARTICLE, THENand anyway, if it's a "local" piece, then most of the city (or at least the Bears fans) should already know who Mitch Unrien is, so the name "Unrein" should have rung some bells.  Maybe, maybe not, but still.

Also:  SharePoint.

Also ETA (because TK ate yet another draft), that is ridiculous @lyndausvi, but my BIL couldn't even remember the address of the house he lived in for four years.  Not the street, the house number, or the zip code.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    I'm annoyed that today is our anniversary and we're at work. I haven't seen H in a few days and wanted so badly to call in sick and just hang at home together.
    Happy anniversary.

DH told me today as he left for work he might get off early.      I'm trying not to get my hopes up because something always pops up.   But I'm really annoyed that we haven't had a dinner together in over a week.  I work Thurs-Saturday nights, so if it's not tonight it will be another week.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
     AtomicBlonde said:
    When DH plays devil's advocate and takes a stance I vehemently oppose... like last night, when I mentioned the story the Chicago Tribune ran about Corey Cogdell-Unrien.  "They were trying to make it a local piece."

THERE ARE SO MANY BETTER WAYS TO WRITE THAT ARTICLE, THENand anyway, if it's a "local" piece, then most of the city (or at least the Bears fans) should already know who Mitch Unrien is, so the name "Unrein" should have rung some bells.  Maybe, maybe not, but still.

Also:  SharePoint.

Also ETA (because TK ate yet another draft), that is ridiculous @lyndausvi, but my BIL couldn't even remember the address of the house he lived in for four years.  Not the street, the house number, or the zip code.
    My nemesis >:) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You are being unreasonable. She JUST left. When I lived in the dorms the first year of college my address was VERY specific and not the address I lived in since it had to go to the mail room at the university and be labelled a certain way to get to me. The bold is not accurate for dorm living. Her mailing address is not her living address and she just settled in and is likely overwhelmed with information. She's been on her own for 5 minutes, you can't cut her a little slack just because she's 18?
    Then I will apologize.  I have never lived in a dorm, and just assumed.  My bad. 

• Options
    General annoyance {also could be a fwp} In less than a month I need to find a dress and get my hair done for a wedding of my coworker. Because of the wedding, my H and I need to be sure all other finances are settled to figure out how much we are giving as a gift {they have 3 kids and doing honeymoon later. Not registered but we want to give cash gift}

Since we're moving at end of September - buying first house! - we have to set up UHaul and all the finances that come with buying a house before figuring out what we can give. :\

Just annoying because it's a lot of work -.-'
  • Options
    eileenrob said:
    SP29 said:
    While I agree that your niece may not know her mailing address YET (it is more complicated... slightly), I don't think, "I don't know, ask Mom" is a reasonable answer. Why should her mom know more than her? If mom can figure out the address, so can the person living there.
    Yeah, or if the niece thinks her mom does know the mailing address, why can't she ask her mom herself, and then give OP the answer?

It may be generational, because a lot of teenagers these days expect the adults in their lives to swoop in and do as much as possible.
    Agree that niece should figure out what her own address is and get back to you herself. Telling you to ask her mom is lazy, IMO.

My annoyance: H was forced onto graveyard shift six months ago (long story short, new boss decided that shifts should be determined by seniority, even though everyone was hired for specific shifts). There was a day shift that opened up in the same department (slightly different role) in late February. H applied for it. The interview wasn't scheduled until April. His boss took WEEKS past that point to finish interviews, and despite H and a few other candidates being totally qualified, boss decided to re-open the position in early June "to have more options." That was two months ago; they have still not filled the position.

The department director knows what a good worker H is, and how much better he is at his job than a few of his colleagues. But director let the incompetent boss (who is actually on probation for not doing his job properly) make the decisions. H emailed again last week and was told that his boss recommended someone for the position, but that the director still needs to approve it.

No word this week.

It's been SIX MONTHS since the position opened, and they still have not filled it. H really doesn't want to leave his company, but at this point it's just getting ridiculous. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

lyndausvi said:

This is sarcasm, right?

I knew my college address within the 1st week of getting onto campus. . . it's not that damn hard to figure out.  Yes, when you live in dorms your mail is typically delivered to the post office on campus, usually located in the student union, which is one of the 1st damn things pointed out to you during orientation. 

Granted if you don't know your mailbox number and the address of the post office it might take some personal initiative and effort to go to the post office and ask for assistance, or ask your RA, your roommate, etc.

If she's so overwhelmed with info during orientation that she can't figure out her address, she's likely in for a rude awakening once classes start.
    My first day of living on campus, my aunt asked for my mailing address. I googled it. And then I confirmed with my RA.

• Options

According to the google, children should be able to know their full name and address by about age 4-6.

Why this should not apply to an adult college student is beyond me.

This!

Plus, when one moves wouldn't you want to know where you live!? That's your new home.
    46 days until I move and I already know pretty much everything about my address except for the last 3 letters of postal code {i just cannot seem to get it to click yet!}
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    emmaaa said:

This is sarcasm, right?

I knew my college address within the 1st week of getting onto campus. . . it's not that damn hard to figure out.  Yes, when you live in dorms your mail is typically delivered to the post office on campus, usually located in the student union, which is one of the 1st damn things pointed out to you during orientation. 

Granted if you don't know your mailbox number and the address of the post office it might take some personal initiative and effort to go to the post office and ask for assistance, or ask your RA, your roommate, etc.

If she's so overwhelmed with info during orientation that she can't figure out her address, she's likely in for a rude awakening once classes start.
    My first day of living on campus, my aunt asked for my mailing address. I googled it. And then I confirmed with my RA.
    Holy shit!  You must be a Mensa member, amirite?

AddieCake said:
    I hard core judge a college student who doesn't know her address. IDGAF how short a time she's lived there. And if you don't know, find out. Say to yourself, "Hey, I should probably know this." Don't tell someone to ask your mommy.

I'm irrationally irritated that my period is late and I have cramps. Now that we've moved on to foster care and stopped TTC, don't dick with me like this, Mother Nature. Just get on with it already. 

Yeah, and there's nothing so mind boggling that occurs during freshman orientation that it takes up all of your mental faculties.  You take a tour of campus, you do team building crap and ice breakers with people in your dorm and in your freshman seminar if you have a class like that, you meet with your advisor, your hand is held while you register for classes, and you have a lot of free time to just piss around since classes haven't even begun yet.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2016

This is sarcasm, right?

That is where my mind went.   Really?  Ask your mom?  How about you figuring it out yourself and then let me know?

She has been down there for a week now.  She had orientation back in June.  She is rushing right now, classed do not start until the 17th.

• Options
    I'd reply with "Ok, let me know when you figure it out. I have something to send you." I bet she figures it out real fast.

My annoyance:

FH doesn't like the Olympics and won't watch with me. Well, last night he had a headache and was laying on the couch mostly unconscious so I turned it on (quietly) anyway. Then he feels better and decides to watch. Great, right?

No, not great.

Him: How far are they swimming?
    Me: 200 meters...like it says on the screen

Him: Did he just win a gold medal?
    Me: No, it's a semifinal...like it says on the screen

Him: Where's that swimmer from?
    Me: Sweden...like it says on the screen

Maybe I was just in a mood, but damn...shut up and let me watch the Olympics.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    People who want to talk on the phone all the damn time.

I have a vendor that calls me after he sends me every quote "to discuss."  There's nothing to discuss, send me the damn quote.

Or like my brother who wants to talk whenever he needs something.  Just text me what you want, I don't have time for your bullshit.  And he calls back to back to back - which is the worst.  Grow the eff up or I'll block your shit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards